"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 112 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #3331 of 3357 Old 04-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I have a problem with my Olive 4HD system. The system does not boot anymore, so I connected the harddisk to my Linux-PC and fsck all paritions, but no luck the system still does not boot (it stays at the intro screen "System is booting, please wait"). I decided to do a new installation and downloaded the necessary files from Olive and put them on a FAT-formatted USB-stick. But when I pressed the CENTER and DOWN button on my Olive there never was a message appearing to put in the USB-stick. It actually never changed from the "System is booting" screen at all. Do you have any ideas what else I could try. Can directly load the disk-images on the Olive using my Linux-PC? Or change some files on the disk or something? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3357 Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you also fscked partition 1, then you are in bad luck. That partition should not be touched by such clever programs.
If you did so, the only way out is the recovery, but if you have valuable music files on partition 7, it is wise to keep both partition 5 and 7 in a safe place. Recovery, if successfull, will always destroy your music.
Having said that, you should press the fore-mentioned buttons and after that switch the system on, not after switching it on.
BTW, in my Olive 4 manual it says that you should press OK and Play.

Good luck

Marc
post #3333 of 3357 Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
If you can open it (if there is no warranty anymore), it's an obvious check, after all the other obvious things you did.

Good luck.
Marc
After some time I sent my Olive to a service to whom I bought it. I live in Argentina, so this guy contacted the Olive representative in my country, the diagnostic was the "motherboard" is in someplace "burned". They need the Techical Manual to find the point to repair but they dont have it, and they told me that Olive in SF doesn´t answer to their request, I also tried but Olive doesn´t answer the mails. So if anybody have a copy of the manual, and can mail to me or live in San Francisco and contact Olive to get the mnual I´ll be really grateful

Thanks
chuec
post #3334 of 3357 Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuec View Post
After some time I sent my Olive to a service to whom I bought it. I live in Argentina, so this guy contacted the Olive representative in my country, the diagnostic was the "motherboard" is in someplace "burned". They need the Techical Manual to find the point to repair but they dont have it, and they told me that Olive in SF doesn´t answer to their request, I also tried but Olive doesn´t answer the mails. So if anybody have a copy of the manual, and can mail to me or live in San Francisco and contact Olive to get the mnual I´ll be really grateful

Thanks
chuec
I have been in contact with them via info@olivehd.com

I was quoted a $300 price for a new board (U.S.) and was told would have to wait months for one. They sold me a new Olive One for a very nice discount. I was less then thrilled for this but I had to reconcile that my 04HD platform is just not sustainable and stable. While my first instinct was to move from Olive I found that I'd have to spend about $1,000 and no guarantee the new machine from the new company would be much better. Olive service has been very good/responsive from the onset of my 04hd problem. They also took my back up drive and reconfigured it for me in less than two weeks. All in all this was very satisfactory for me.

Once the $300 figure was presented I came to realize I had to move away from the 04hd. I had had two hard drives replaced previously. ONce under warranty and another on my dime. The dreaded frozen white screen appeared a few months ago and I about needed to be medicated. Its a love hate with it! Love the performance and sound. Its been about two months and I have not removed the 04hd from the rack yet even though its replacement is now functional!!!

The One is very different and am very pleased with the sound quality. I know many of you have 06hd and I pray for you.
markrubin likes this.
post #3335 of 3357 Old 04-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

My Olive 4 is now 6 years old and still functioning. The screen was replaced and if course the hard disk.
The musical modifications that it has got make it my ehhh precious...
So I don't want to loose it.
I bought a second hand replacement for it. So I can swap any malfunctioning part. Don't need a manual.

Marc
post #3336 of 3357 Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post

I was quoted a $300 price for a new board (U.S.) and was told would have to wait months for one. They sold me a new Olive One for a very nice discount. I was less then thrilled for this but I had to reconcile that my 04HD platform is just not sustainable and stable. While my first instinct was to move from Olive I found that I'd have to spend about $1,000 and no guarantee the new machine from the new company would be much better. Olive service has been very good/responsive from the onset of my 04hd problem. They also took my back up drive and reconfigured it for me in less than two weeks. All in all this was very satisfactory for me.

Once the $300 figure was presented I came to realize I had to move away from the 04hd. I had had two hard drives replaced previously. ONce under warranty and another on my dime. The dreaded frozen white screen appeared a few months ago and I about needed to be medicated. Its a love hate with it! Love the performance and sound. Its been about two months and I have not removed the 04hd from the rack yet even though its replacement is now functional!!!

The One is very different and am very pleased with the sound quality. I know many of you have 06hd and I pray for you.

Ok thaks for your answer. I´ll insist via mail to contact the guys in Olive.
post #3337 of 3357 Old 04-09-2015, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod

Nanold
Thank you very much. The guys from Olive answered me when I contacted via the mail you posted.
They offer me the same deal that offered you.
Do you find the Olive One a good machine?
post #3338 of 3357 Old 04-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod

Nanold
Thank you very much. The guys from Olive answered me when I contacted via the mail you posted.
They offer me the same deal that offered you.
Do you find the Olive One a good machine?
I've written about it on this forum and on the AVS forum about the One.
Click: Olive One

As mentioned the machine is a work in progress but there is a "value statement" that must be attached to a machine and the reworking of my back up. All things equal I would have moved on, but this is not about principle but about the music. By providing me with a machine at great discount and service of my back up Olive was a great bargain to me and showed a desire to keep me as a customer.

So far I like the machine. I loved my 04hd and if this sounds as good and works for 5 years I'd be very happy!!! No regrets. Is it perfect? Nope. Is any machine available perfect? Not at this price!!! Maybe the NAD at $2500. It has two hard drives!!! It backs itself up. I considered it but for $1000 I got a mac mini 1TB and the One 2TB and will better be able to manage files. Everything will go thru the Mac Mini going forward. I can control my One via iPhone and iPad.

Yes, for the money I am very happy!!!!
post #3339 of 3357 Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
If you also fscked partition 1, then you are in bad luck. That partition should not be touched by such clever programs.
If you did so, the only way out is the recovery, but if you have valuable music files on partition 7, it is wise to keep both partition 5 and 7 in a safe place. Recovery, if successfull, will always destroy your music.
Having said that, you should press the fore-mentioned buttons and after that switch the system on, not after switching it on.
BTW, in my Olive 4 manual it says that you should press OK and Play.

Good luck

Marc
Hi Marc,
yes indeed I fscked partion 1 so this seems to be the root of the problems I have. But I still cannot do a recovery, I have all my music on the PC as well so no problem for me to do a new installation of the OS. But it does not work. I always try with buttons pressed when powered off and then I power on, but the display never changes from "System starting up, ...". I then tried a number of other button combination but none changed a thing. Not sure what I should do, anybody has any idea?
Rene
post #3340 of 3357 Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

This seems to me rather a problem with the motherboard than with the hard disk. With or without a hard disk, the Olive should be able to come in recovery state, one way or the other.
The manual of the Olive 4HD is not clear about the keys to press, it talks about contacting Olive to do a recovery.
Maybe the buttons can't communicate with the innards due to a loose cable? You have opened the thing, so, that might be the case.

Marc
post #3341 of 3357 Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
With ext2fsd from http://www.ext2fsd.com/, a linux based drive can be connected to a windows machine. Via this program you can access the harddrive of the olive or the backup drive.

I created a program in windows that decrypts the database from the backup drive and with the data in the database, copies the tracks to \ARTIST\ALBUM\TRACKNR - TRACKTITLE. it also copies the folder images to that location. There is no tag editing, but that can be done via other programs e.g. Mp3tag

Before I make this program available (don't know yet where..), I would like somebody else to take a look at it. Anybody interested?

Best regards, Gertjan
An important note for anyone who feels insecure about the future of the digital music on their Olive.

Unfortunately I was not one of those that was wise enough to burn my music to PC before transferring it to my Olive HD06 so having invested many many hours in creating my library the thought of starting again at some point in the future is a bit awful.

The fantastic news is that using Gertjan's program, I have been able to copy all my Olive 06HD music form a USB Olive backup disc to my Windows 8.1 PC. All the files are nicely ordered in Artist and Album directories and most of the important Metadata is also present. While some of the Olive written Metadata is missing Gertjan is working to improve this.

May I take this opportunity of thanking Gertjan for all his efforts on this program - it has certainly relieved my apprehension about the future. I can now get back to listening to the music on what when all said and done is an awesome sounding player.
clpetersen likes this.
post #3342 of 3357 Old 04-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberz View Post
An important note for anyone who feels insecure about the future of the digital music on their Olive.

Unfortunately I was not one of those that was wise enough to burn my music to PC before transferring it to my Olive HD06 so having invested many many hours in creating my library the thought of starting again at some point in the future is a bit awful.

The fantastic news is that using Gertjan's program, I have been able to copy all my Olive 06HD music form a USB Olive backup disc to my Windows 8.1 PC. All the files are nicely ordered in Artist and Album directories and most of the important Metadata is also present. While some of the Olive written Metadata is missing Gertjan is working to improve this.

May I take this opportunity of thanking Gertjan for all his efforts on this program - it has certainly relieved my apprehension about the future. I can now get back to listening to the music on what when all said and done is an awesome sounding player.
I am going to try this as well; I need to get some time on a Windows machine first.

If Olive follows this forum (they should), I think Gertjan's program is something they could use, especially when trying to migrate over their existing customer base to the Olive One.
post #3343 of 3357 Old 04-14-2015, 06:55 AM
wbk

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by renerehmann View Post
Hi all,
I have a problem with my Olive 4HD system. The system does not boot anymore, so I connected the harddisk to my Linux-PC and fsck all paritions, but no luck the system still does not boot (it stays at the intro screen "System is booting, please wait"). I decided to do a new installation and downloaded the necessary files from Olive and put them on a FAT-formatted USB-stick. But when I pressed the CENTER and DOWN button on my Olive there never was a message appearing to put in the USB-stick. It actually never changed from the "System is booting" screen at all. Do you have any ideas what else I could try. Can directly load the disk-images on the Olive using my Linux-PC? Or change some files on the disk or something? Thanks for any help.
Check the troubleshooting guide (post 3299), section V paragraph E. Keep trying the various combinations of button pushing, power off-on, and insertion of the USB stick as set forth in this section ( and section D). If it doesn't work after several attempts, keep trying.
post #3344 of 3357 Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 AM
wbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fateli View Post
Hello guys!
I'm having issues with my Olive O6HD concerning the startup. It shows the white screen of the system starting up and that's it. It doesn't come out of this. I tried the tips included in the instructions but no success

I also tried restoring the Ovile using the methods that the FAQ oriented (trough USB recovery and CD) and the image downloaded on the Olive website is broken and I cannot burn it into the CD.
I managed to get the (please insert the usb stick) screen but it didnt recognized the flash drive. apparently everything is OK but no success...
Is there any other alternative to resolve this issue?

Cheers!
Fatell, keep trying all the combinations set forth in paragraphs D and E of section V of the troubleshooting guide set forth above (power on/off--insertion of usb stick--pushing of the two navigation buttons). If it doesn't work, keep trying.
post #3345 of 3357 Old 04-14-2015, 07:17 AM
wbk

Quote:
With a lot of carefull force, I was able to lift the cover a bit. With that, There is little acces but enough to disconnect the power connector. On the front there are 2 delicate ribbons to the LCD screen and buttons. The olive 4 connections where more robust, although it was taped..

Since I was used to the 4, the recovery is new to me. I forgot to download the ODBInstall part. So thanks very much for the just created manual! The problem was found very easy, including the link, which is missing on the olive.us site.

If the install works, I will open the complete unit (I just switched the wires on the harddisk) and make some pictures, including the info to open up the unit.
Gertgan,
I'm glad you were able to use the troubleshooting guide I posted (post no. 3299)
I would very much like to try your program for transferring my library from my olive to my PC. You can email me at:
warren.kice at gmail.com
Thanks warren
post #3346 of 3357 Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The program to export the olive database can be downloaded from www.lydo.nl
There is also other information available on the Olive that I collected in the last couple of years, some from this forum..
Please take your time to read the manual. General issues, concerns or experiences can be shared on this forum, so that it benefits the whole community, but otherwise send me a PM.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Gertjan
post #3347 of 3357 Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Back-up Issue solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear0104 View Post
Hi all- will appreciate any advise.

My 04HD has 700 GB of music in it. I recently bought a 2TB Seagate portable external drive to back up the files. The drive is formatted FAT32.

I followed the back up procedure in the manual and left the unit overnight. After 10 hours, the screen showed 0% has been backed-up although it indicates it's still "running."

Having sensed that the process might have stalled, I canceled the process and rebooted the unit. I then attached the drive to a macbook pro to reformat and erase the drive before reattaching.

I started over again and this time the Olive unit indicates that the Backup Failed because USB drive does not have enough space. I tried this a few times and I'm getting the same result.

Please help. My Olive has worked smoothly since I bought it brand new 2 years ago. This is a rare glitch.

BTW, the unit is not currently hooked to the internet.

Thanks for all the advise.

Cheers
I just want to close the loop on the issue I had with my O4HD months ago. After trying 3 external portable hard drives without success, i finally solved the issue by trying out a desktop (3.5") hard drive. A 2TB Seagate did the trick. The hard drive is pretty common..

Thought of just sharing this for those who might encounter similar problems. So the lesson it seems- wall wart powered hard drives work better than USB powered ones for making back-ups..

In fairness, to Olive, they have been very responsive with the back and forth correspondences with me, offering suggestions including the XBMC route...

Cheers
post #3348 of 3357 Old 04-17-2015, 10:32 AM
wbk

Quote:
The program to export the olive database can be downloaded from www.lydo.nl
There is also other information available on the Olive that I collected in the last couple of years, some from this forum..
Please take your time to read the manual. General issues, concerns or experiences can be shared on this forum, so that it benefits the whole community, but otherwise send me a PM.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Gertjan
Gertjan, How do you send a PM on this forum? In the meantime a couple of quick questions. I downloaded the Log Converter 2-0 and the manual and would like to know if the log converter is used when transferring my library according to the manual. Also, on line one of page two of the manual you mention a zip file. What zip file?
Thanks in advance.
Warren
post #3349 of 3357 Old 04-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
1 TB USB Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear0104 View Post
I just want to close the loop on the issue I had with my O4HD months ago. After trying 3 external portable hard drives without success, i finally solved the issue by trying out a desktop (3.5") hard drive. A 2TB Seagate did the trick. The hard drive is pretty common..

Thought of just sharing this for those who might encounter similar problems. So the lesson it seems- wall wart powered hard drives work better than USB powered ones for making back-ups..

In fairness, to Olive, they have been very responsive with the back and forth correspondences with me, offering suggestions including the XBMC route...

Cheers
This issue has been noticed by several people on this forum (2 TB USB hard drive causing the Olive to freeze during back-up). The common solution, and one I used, is to use a 1 TB back-up disk. This worked without issues. Seems to be a glitch in Olive's firmware. This is for USB-powered devices - as one poster noted, perhaps self-powered external drives don't have this issue.
post #3350 of 3357 Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbk View Post
Gertjan, How do you send a PM on this forum? In the meantime a couple of quick questions. I downloaded the Log Converter 2-0 and the manual and would like to know if the log converter is used when transferring my library according to the manual. Also, on line one of page two of the manual you mention a zip file. What zip file?
Thanks in advance.
Warren
A PM can be send by clicking on a name then go to that person's peronal page. Go to the tabpage "contact info" and there is a link to send a PM.

The log converter 2.0 program is another tool. Just download the olive backup exporter.zip file. That is also the zip file that I mention in the manual at page 2.
There are two executables. The exporter program itself and a special version of Log converter. The last one is optional to export the database to a text file. It is very flexible but also more difficult to understand how it works. But if you use the default settings, everybody should manage it.

Hope you like it!

Gertjan
post #3351 of 3357 Old 04-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Nice! Verrrrry nice.
Now go for the Linux version. 😕
But it could be ok to have the source code of course.

Marc
post #3352 of 3357 Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Nice! Verrrrry nice.
Now go for the Linux version. 😕
But it could be ok to have the source code of course.

Marc
It has been 20 years ago since I last programmed on a unix/linux machine... Maybe I give it a try one day and install it on the olive itself...
markrubin likes this.
post #3353 of 3357 Old 04-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

That would be nice.

In the mean time I did not write about the way that I make backups of my Olive 4.
I wonder if anyone here is still waiting for it.

Marc
post #3354 of 3357 Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
That would be nice.

In the mean time I did not write about the way that I make backups of my Olive 4.
I wonder if anyone here is still waiting for it.

Marc
Hi Marc, I don't think I will use it, since I keep my backup files at another location. But It will be very interesting to read how it works. But if I am the only one, it's not really worth the effort that you have to put in to.
post #3355 of 3357 Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Making backups directly to another location is really neat. I can't do that. But I can keep one of the backup drives somewhere else, although I still don't.
Backups are done here with the USB drive attached to the Olive, with a short cable.
Backing up to the cloud, how nice!

Marc
post #3356 of 3357 Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thinking about all this, it looked promising to me to use sshfs on one Olive, to mount the other Olive's music partition (or whatever) to itself, and than do the backup. But alas, there is no sshfs in the Olive.
However. what might work for me, is to sshfs one Olive to map1 on my Linux pc, the other Olive to map2, and do the backup with these two maps. But I never tried that, and it could prove wrong.

Marc
post #3357 of 3357 Old Today, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thinking about all this, it looked promising to me to use sshfs on one Olive, to mount the other Olive's music partition (or whatever) to itself, and than do the backup. But alas, there is no sshfs in the Olive.
However. what might work for me, is to sshfs one Olive to map1 on my Linux pc, the other Olive to map2, and do the backup with these two maps. But I never tried that, and it could prove wrong.

Marc
It proved wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports