"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 115 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 34
As soon as you have a decent computer at hand (a laptop suffices), let us now.
GJ had some suggestions to check the system with a few commands, but they unfortunately don't work.

Another suggestion might do the trick though. There is a file called version.xml in /etc that holds the version of your Olive. My Olive has version O.4.1.9., and my etc/version.xml contains the string: 2.0.1.11 O.4.1.9 o4_rev916_b211 1.2.3 0.3
If you change this file, say you downgrade the version to 2.0.1.11 O.4.1.8 o4_rev916_b211 1.2.3 0.3, and then ask for a software upgrade....

I just did this with my spare Olive 4, but alas, it says: invalid url. Maybe Olive has blocked the software upgrades????

Marc
berni likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
But in that case, you can still update manually via an USB stick. I did that after I replaced my harddisk. I will try to come up with a manual to SSH with screenshots, but that might take a while, it's a busy period for me.
berni likes this.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
But in that case, you can still update manually via an USB stick. I did that after I replaced my harddisk. I will try to come up with a manual to SSH with screenshots, but that might take a while, it's a busy period for me.
No need to hurry, it is too hot out there now.
That would be more then great for people like me!
One more question.
The unit beside the screen works ok, what do you think may happen or is in progress if I use it ?
Will it collect bugs and crash totaly or is there a chance it may work on without problems. Because I really dont need the screen on the Olive as long as I can reach the unit with the app or via browser.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Good question, difficult to answer. One need to know the cause of the problem. Is it a bad spot on a hard disk? Then don't use it for fun. Is it just a loose cable, or is it a hardware problem in the screen? Then go ahead.

Can you still use the buttons?

Marc
Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Good question, difficult to answer. One need to know the cause of the problem. Is it a bad spot on a hard disk? Then don't use it for fun. Is it just a loose cable, or is it a hardware problem in the screen? Then go ahead.

Can you still use the buttons?

Marc
Didnt test all the buttons yet but will do asap.
The up and down buttons worked as volume and they seem to work as usual.Other butons are difficult to see if they work with no working screen.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

The pause/play, next and previous track, on/off are also buttons that can be tested without a proper working screen.
This afternoon I will test the software-upgrade with a usb-stick as GJ suggests (thanks GJ!)
If a software upgrade doesn't help, it's not the hard disk.
And besides, it's a good measure to keep any old Olive in good health.

Marc
Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 AM

How to SSH on the olive: http://www.lydo.nl/olive/ssh-to-olive/

Settings in WebSSH:
Groupname: "" or whatever you like
Name: "Olive3HD" or whatever you like

Host: Ip adress xxx.xxx.x.xxx
Port: 22
User: root
Password: tj270442
Two facter auth: OFF
Private key: NO

Settings screen for an existing connection is available by swiping the connection, although you might have to try it several times with a long swipe.

But do not forget to enable SSH first by using the builtDhtmlx.php first...
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Just tested the SW-update with an USB-stick. Of course the one that I use most seldom had already the last SWupdate.tar on it from my previous effort.

First, I had modified /etc/version.xml so that it showed version O.4.1.8 in stead of O.1.4.9. Via the webbrowser I could choose the SWupdate from USB, and so it went.
Next, I REMOVED /etc/version.xml, rebooted (otherwise the Olive still thinks it has version O.4.1.9, after rebooting it told me N/A both for the Olive version and the ODB version (in About your Olive). Now it was also possible to choose the SWupdate, but... it never came to an end.

So, I started with:

~ # mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /cfg type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
none on /tmpfs type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /cfg/var/mnt/usbstorage type vfat (rw,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp43 7,iocharset=iso8859-1)

Clearly, Olive is sitting on sda3. Note the USB stick in sdb1

I can check sda2:

~ # fsck /dev/sda2
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/sda2 has gone 1323 days without being checked, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda2: 3630/122880 files (2.1% non-contiguous), 267818/491520 blocks
~ # fsck /dev/sda2
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/sda2: clean, 3630/122880 files, 267818/491520 blocks

Nothing wrong with sda2

Let's see what the version is:
~ # cat /etc/version.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<version>
<mainversion>2.0.1.11</mainversion>
<oemversion>O.4.1.8</oemversion>
<oemguiversion>o4_rev916_b211</oemguiversion>
<odbversion>1.3.2</odbversion>
<zdbversion>0.3</zdbversion>
</version>
~ # Connection to 10.1.1.37 closed by remote host.

The connection is closed because the SWupdate rebooted the system

Now we have:
~ # mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /cfg type ext3 (rw)
none on /tmpfs type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /data type ext3 (rw,noatime)

Now sda2 contains the system

~ # cat /etc/version.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<version>
<mainversion>2.0.1.11</mainversion>
<oemversion>O.4.1.9</oemversion>
<oemguiversion>o4_rev916_b211</oemguiversion>
<odbversion>1.3.2</odbversion>
<zdbversion>0.3</zdbversion>
</version>

Now sda3 is the other,unused partition :
~ # fsck /dev/sda3
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/sda3 has gone 1323 days without being checked, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda3: 3616/122880 files (2.1% non-contiguous), 267731/491520 blocks
~ # fsck /dev/sda3
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/sda3: clean, 3616/122880 files, 267731/491520 blocks
~ #

So both sda2 and sda3 had not been checked in 1323 days, quite some time...

Unfortunately just removing version.xml did not what I wanted. Maybe GJ can explain how to edit version.xml with a Windows system?

Marc
GJ1970 likes this.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM

Nice work Marc!
Using WinSCP, the file can be edited via a normal texteditor like notepad in windows.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Nice work if you can get it...
Ehh, I once learned that Windows and Linux had a different way of ending a file. One with CR/LF and one with only CR (or so)? Doesn't it matter anymore?

Marc
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Nice work if you can get it...
Ehh, I once learned that Windows and Linux had a different way of ending a file. One with CR/LF and one with only CR (or so)? Doesn't it matter anymore?

Marc
It matters if you create a new line, but a character change does not matter.
mumsoft likes this.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Update.
I opened the unit and checked the two ribbons from the board to the touch screen and the one from the scren to the small board mounted behind the screen. Everything looked fine, just slightly tapped the connector and assembled everything back.
So after that we have the situation:
- after turn on the screen stays white for ever
- you can control the unit via browser or the app with no problem
- none of the buttons work, I assume because I use the app and to end the control via my ipad you have to touch the screen, which in my eyes stopped working?
Any other thoughts?

Will open the unit again and try to touch the connectors again, maybe with some luck?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

A white screen and no working keys means a bad connection to the motherboard. Nothing else.

Marc
Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
A white screen and no working keys means a bad connection to the motherboard. Nothing else.

Marc
But the connectors are really fragile looking. Do you recommend unpluging are repluging or just some slight touches. One connection ( the one behind the screen) of the ribbon is hidden under a small board. Will open it again and see if I have any luck.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

You have a 4HD, I have a 4. They are not equal. The flat cable to the screen can easily get loose.
My Olive has a ribbon cable from the lid to the motherboard. The connection is not sturdy.
Refitting isn't such a bad idea, but newer Olives have smaller and more fragile connectors.
Just be careful!

Marc
GJ1970 and berni like this.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:57 PM

Will take care, but actually I am more happy with a non working screen then a non working disc.

For others maybe a TEAM Viewer option would help those who are not so good with computers(of course not for free). Just my thinking.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Of course. But that's not my cup of tea.

Marc
Old 06-10-2015, 08:52 AM

Sometimes it helps if you give it another try. So I decided to open the unit and check the connectors again.
To check the connectors on the screen you have to unscrew the board and carefully flip it over.
Then I turned the unit on and slightly touched all the connectors on both side. This did not help at all.
But then I saw that the ribbon from the motherboard has two sharp 90 deg bends to go under the disc. I decided to put a bit of thick paper between the metal and the ribbon to increase the pressure on the connector.
And voila... It helped . Everything working as new.
Maybe somebody has the same problem and it can help him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	768065  

Last edited by berni; 06-10-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Here the tight bend of the cable.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	55
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	768073  
Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM

And here the simple trick with some thick paper( also blue).
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	54
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	768081  
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Jeezzz.... what a solution! I guess you are glad that it worked, and now you think: leave well alone? Am I right that the two blue pieces of paper press a bit on the two flat cables, so that the connections inside the connector are a bit pressed upward? And THAT did it? Amazing.

Congratulations nevertheless. If the problem happens again, just check those two flat cable connectors, I would suggest. Also without stress these must make execellent connections.

Marc
Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Jeezzz.... what a solution! I guess you are glad that it worked, and now you think: leave well alone? Am I right that the two blue pieces of paper press a bit on the two flat cables, so that the connections inside the connector are a bit pressed upward? And THAT did it? Amazing.

Congratulations nevertheless. If the problem happens again, just check those two flat cable connectors, I would suggest. Also without stress these must make execellent connections.

Marc
Yes , you are right with the extra pressure. That was my first thought when I saw the ribbon cable move a bit.
Actually I did it after checking the touchscreen as a last try, almost shure it will not help.
But gave it a try any way.
Then closed the lid and turned on and the surprise was
I am more a mechanical type so I was very luck to solve it like this then with "pressing" the keys on the keyboard .
Old 06-11-2015, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

These bandcables have connectors. They can be locked and unlocked. Hopefully this link may make it more clear.
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/fix-b...p-motherboard/

Marc
berni likes this.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I need to remove the 04hd from my rack and I don't know what to do with it. My motherboard fried.
In the spirit of "Let that **** go", you know, zen teachings that holding on to pain is not a good thing, I will feel a bit of loss but then will just move on.

Life with the ONE: Actually the machine is quite good. I've taken a patient approach and loading music on slowly. I have not made any playlists yet as I am waiting for the upgrade that will allow iTune playlists to be uploaded. Imagine a world where I can do that and be able to back up not just my music, but playlists as well!!!!

Also Im waiting for the Maestro to be completed. While ONE screen is ok, better than the 04hd as its much bigger I thought Maestro via laptop was still better. There is a big software firmware promised for June that is suppose to about complete the functions.

So I have not done the big huge 350GB transfer yet. This week Im getting new internet, 1GB per second and am adding a Apple Airport Time capsule. Since my 04hd died and the good Olive folks worked magic on my back up I vowed to take my time and get this thing right going forward. New Mac mini now houses the music and been backing it up after each change. The Time capsule has a 2gb drive attached so backups will be fluid. I will still maintain a seporate back up. Naturally the Olive will get backed up as well.

The ONE is a differnet animal and its easy to get mad at it. For example one has to touch about the display to find the setting that will organize artist via "naturally" or "Alphabetically". Silly that its default is "Naturally". They should have a difinitive instruction booklet to print as the other units, but the don't. That, Or I have yet to find it. Most everything that is "strange' just takes a few minutes via the Zendesk and the answers are readily available.

The phone app works great and basiclly duplicates the screen. Its fairly stable but if not used sometimes you have to reboot it. Just close the program and reopen. Takes 10 seconds. Acutally a better version of what I was used to. Seems like some progress made.

The sound is quite good and its nice to not live in mortal fear of the machine dying. My Musica lasted about two years before the motherboard cooked. It also killed a Hard drive. My 04hd had two hard drives replaced. One was under warranty. That white screen we used to say "Olive went to the white light of heavon" was a common sight. eventually it just goes.

Im hoping the ONE being a much differnet animal will last much longer. If not, Im ready for a seamless transition to either a new Olive or other server. Bottom line is im enjoying my music all throughout the house and the ONE is nearly complete for a full rollout. Its my opinion this machine is really not ready and the complaints thus far are because the time they are taking to finish the tasks has been long. I am very tolerant as my purchase was born from the death of my 04hd and Olive's very good service and very generous replacement price for the new machine. I recommend anyone contimplating a purchase to wait until the next firmware is released.

I think this weekend I will bury my 04hd and create shrine that the olive gods will watch over my ONE and protect it!
Old Today, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Just tried a usb dac to my Olive, with no luck. Now I remember they once have updated usb so that one can upgrade the stuff with a usb stick, but I also remember that the music got out of it after some upgrade, which I (remember to) have tried with my Dacmagic, now sold. So I can't verify it.
With a Meridian Explorer2 it keeps silent. Bad luck.
Anyone with better results?

Marc