"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #3451 of 3477 Old 07-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I did not see anything like that in my more recent manual. However, I purchased the unit close to three years ago. I can ask. Is Olive still online somehow? email?
Thanks Chris. As far as I can see, Olive is online now. I am not... that is, when I am at my desk I will provide the gory details. Tomorrow. Also for the radiostation question.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3477 Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Really awkward if you know that you once did something but can't find it anymore.
However, I finally found my post about luring the Olive to think that it has a valid internet connection, although the Olive-site itself is down.

Here it is:
"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD
@Chris :
My manual says: please contact:
Olive Media Products, Inc.
555 Howard Street
San Fransisco, CA 94105
USA

But I can't see any hard address on the site nowadays, so I guess it will quite useless to try to get the source code this way.
Thanks anyhow

Marc
post #3453 of 3477 Old 07-16-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Marc,

I asked Olive two times for the code, guess what... They did not reply...
However, The interface is just php and html. You can get it via SSH, otherwise I'll send you the code later when I am back home.

GJ
post #3454 of 3477 Old 07-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Hi GertJan, do you mean the source code?
I think you do.
Learning PHP has always been on top of my wishlist.... not. But something that really bothers me is the idiot way that Olive uses when reading freedb. Something I have overlooked all the time when Olive was still providing updates. Until now I didn't find out which file I had to edit.

Marc
post #3455 of 3477 Old 07-16-2015, 03:42 PM

It can be worse, the code itself is horrible. Unstructured, lots of unused code without remarks or comments, etc. It is a mess.
post #3456 of 3477 Old 07-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Really awkward if you know that you once did something but can't find it anymore.
However, I finally found my post about luring the Olive to think that it has a valid internet connection, although the Olive-site itself is down.

Here it is:
"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD
@Chris :
My manual says: please contact:
Olive Media Products, Inc.
555 Howard Street
San Fransisco, CA 94105
USA

But I can't see any hard address on the site nowadays, so I guess it will quite useless to try to get the source code this way.
Thanks anyhow

Marc
Thanks Marc! I do know that Olive moved from the Howard Street address to something less pricey. Oddly, I will be in SF next week for a conference, not sure if I can free-up to visit Olive, wherever they may be. I remember a post somewhere with Olives new address....
post #3457 of 3477 Old 07-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Marc! I do know that Olive moved from the Howard Street address to something less pricey. Oddly, I will be in SF next week for a conference, not sure if I can free-up to visit Olive, wherever they may be. I remember a post somewhere with Olives new address....
Good luck!
Marc
post #3458 of 3477 Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 PM

The address on linkedln is 200 Kansas St., San Fransisco, CA, 94103, USA.

Good luck!
post #3459 of 3477 Old 07-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Wow...
post #3460 of 3477 Old 07-20-2015, 03:19 PM
wbk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by berni View Post
No need to hurry, it is too hot out there now.
That would be more then great for people like me!
One more question.
The unit beside the screen works ok, what do you think may happen or is in progress if I use it ?
Will it collect bugs and crash totaly or is there a chance it may work on without problems. Because I really dont need the screen on the Olive as long as I can reach the unit with the app or via browser.
Berni, every since I posted the troubleshooting guide (post #3299 ) the screens (and buttons) on all three of my Olives (04, 06, and 06) have quit working (they usually stick on the display "system starting up" on the white screen). However I have been able to operate the units via my browser and the olive app. This includes ripping , backup, restore, system services, etc., via the browser and, of course, music management via the app (maestro).
(Before I was able to do this I had to replace the hard drives in two of the units and recover one unit according to the procedures set forth in the troubleshooting guide.)
It didn't me long to realize that the screens aren't really needed for me to enjoy my music library---thank goodness!
One word of caution--do not turn off the power button on the rear of the unit EVER since many of the problems chronicled in this thread can occur when it is turned back on and the unit attempts to reboot.
I should add that recently one of my units quit working altogether after I turned the rear power button back on and I was able get it working (browser only) by repeating the recovery steps set (including the alternate steps) set forth in the guide several times. (Actually I gave up that evening but the first recovery I attempted the next morning worked).
It is my understanding that there is no other brand of server out there that can receive my library via a USB stick and play the music; nor is there a way to transfer my library to my computer, much less play it back from the computer. Is this correct?
post #3461 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

In my world the Olives go out of power every day. To save electricity and to avoid extra wear. My Olive 4 is 7 years old and still survives. It has had some problems but they are all taken care of. How I did that is described in this very thread.
@wbk , are you referring to Olive HD versions?

Marc
post #3462 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I also leave the 4hd running most of the time, and also think that it benefits from that.
post #3463 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

This discussion is as old as Methusalem. Anyway, if I leave my Olive on for some days, it starts behaving erroneous. Something the Olive company warned for. Maybe the software of the HD versions is much better.

Btw the led of one of my Olives was dimmed, just reattaching the inner connector did the trick.

It takes good ownership to have the most pleasure of any device.

Marc
post #3464 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

The manual says "leave the Olive in Stand By Mode".

During a Olive support call they told me, it is better to switch it off from time to time.

My 4HD is now 5,5 years old and I switch it off after every use. No problems at all.

Regards,
post #3465 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 AM
wbk

Quote:
In my world the Olives go out of power every day. To save electricity and to avoid extra wear. My Olive 4 is 7 years old and still survives. It has had some problems but they are all taken care of. How I did that is described in this very thread.

Marc
Marc, yes all of my units are HD
post #3466 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 06:23 AM
wbk

Quote:

Marc
Marc, the hard drives in the units will shut off automatically after a set period of nonuse as set by the "power savings" option in the settings thus avoiding "extra wear"
post #3467 of 3477 Old 07-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Wbk, I use a voltage meter to know when the Olive that I use for editing has his hard disk halted. Then it uses 9 Watt and I can safely power it down. No doubt the hard disk is most vulnerable, second are the connectors and next is the stuff on the motherboard, the dac and the rest of the hardware. They all will wear out. One can argue that shutting off and on can do more harm than leaving it on, both pro and con arguments can be given. I like to power it off when not in use. It gives me some confidence.
Thunder and lightning won't harm, it uses 0 Watt.

How much does a 4 HD consume when idle?

Marc
post #3468 of 3477 Old 07-29-2015, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am an O4HD owner in Portland, OR and I have listened to internet radio station KPLU in Tacoma, WA for years.
They have excellent blues shows on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
Portland has lousy blues radio over the air so I actually bought the Olive so I could listen to KPLU.

KPLU has used the Abacast server for internet radio for years and it always worked well.
Last November Abacast was bought by WideOrbit and since then I am unable to get a good connection.
It does connect but plays 2 seconds of garbled content followed by 10 seconds of silence then disconnects.

I contacted KPLU support via email but they did not answer.
So I contacted Olive and they said the Olive only supports the .mp3 format. (B.S. answer)
I then emailed WideOrbit and got a good response from a tech there.
She gave me a few tips and alternative links to KPLU feeds.
The result is always the same with garbled signal as I described above.
I searched and found another radio station WHHM that uses the WideOrbit server.
It also has the same connection issues as KPLU.

WideOrbit said they were in touch with Olive support but after a few days were unable to resolve the issue.

If someone here could try the KPLU connection on your machine and report if you have the same problem it may be helpful.
My O4HD does search and find KPLU with it's search ability and can connect. It still fails to play when I connect this way.

The KPLU links use the 'icy1.abacast.com' server: (spaces added to allow posting here
http: // icy1.abacast.com/kplu-newsjazzaac-64.m3u
http: // icy1.abacast.com/kplu-newsjazzmp3-32.m3u

The KPLU links do play fine on my PC using Firefox.

WideOrbit gave me these links that they called a direct links to KPLU V6 players:
http: // v6.player.abacast.net/854
http: // v6.player.abacast.net/856
Those don't work on the O4HD either...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
post #3469 of 3477 Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Shoes View Post
I am an O4HD owner in Portland, OR and I have listened to internet radio station KPLU in Tacoma, WA for years.
They have excellent blues shows on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
Portland has lousy blues radio over the air so I actually bought the Olive so I could listen to KPLU.

KPLU has used the Abacast server for internet radio for years and it always worked well.
Last November Abacast was bought by WideOrbit and since then I am unable to get a good connection.
It does connect but plays 2 seconds of garbled content followed by 10 seconds of silence then disconnects.

I contacted KPLU support via email but they did not answer.
So I contacted Olive and they said the Olive only supports the .mp3 format. (B.S. answer)
I then emailed WideOrbit and got a good response from a tech there.
She gave me a few tips and alternative links to KPLU feeds.
The result is always the same with garbled signal as I described above.
I searched and found another radio station WHHM that uses the WideOrbit server.
It also has the same connection issues as KPLU.

WideOrbit said they were in touch with Olive support but after a few days were unable to resolve the issue.

If someone here could try the KPLU connection on your machine and report if you have the same problem it may be helpful.
My O4HD does search and find KPLU with it's search ability and can connect. It still fails to play when I connect this way.

The KPLU links use the 'icy1.abacast.com' server: (spaces added to allow posting here
http: // icy1.abacast.com/kplu-newsjazzaac-64.m3u
http: // icy1.abacast.com/kplu-newsjazzmp3-32.m3u

The KPLU links do play fine on my PC using Firefox.

WideOrbit gave me these links that they called a direct links to KPLU V6 players:
http: // v6.player.abacast.net/854
http: // v6.player.abacast.net/856
Those don't work on the O4HD either...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I want to recover my olive HD06.
A few weeks ago I bought a new internal HD for the olive and did a recovery and it works after trying a couple of times.
Now there is a problem. When I load a cd for ripping I get the message "reading of cd failed". Playing the cd isn't a problem only ripping doesn't work anymore.
When I build in my old internal HD (that works but give a I/O error when I do a backup) I can rip a cd with no problems.
So I think it's the software on the new HD that's fault.
I want to do a recovery on the new internal HD but it does not do anything anymore.
I have tried at least 30 times. The led in the USB stick flash for a moment and then stops.
Are the recovery files give a problem?
The USB is format in FAT32 4096 clusters.
Could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance.
post #3470 of 3477 Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim12 View Post
I want to recover my olive HD06.
A few weeks ago I bought a new internal HD for the olive and did a recovery and it works after trying a couple of times.
Now there is a problem. When I load a cd for ripping I get the message "reading of cd failed". Playing the cd isn't a problem only ripping doesn't work anymore.
When I build in my old internal HD (that works but give a I/O error when I do a backup) I can rip a cd with no problems.
So I think it's the software on the new HD that's fault.
I want to do a recovery on the new internal HD but it does not do anything anymore.
I have tried at least 30 times. The led in the USB stick flash for a moment and then stops.
Are the recovery files give a problem?
The USB is format in FAT32 4096 clusters.
Could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance.
Hello Wim - I stopped ripping on the Olive a long time ago and use JRiver instead and import to the Olive using Maestro. That way I have a library that is independent of the Olive as well.

I do have the 06HD recovery software. If you want to create a drop box site or similar I can upload the files. Too big to email. Or send me a USB stick via regular mail. You might want to take the HD out, reformat it and try again. Seems doubtful it is the USB stick. Can you read it on another computer?

Marc and Gertjans - no chance to visit Olive in SF. Not clear how useful that would have been anyway.

Last edited by clpetersen; 08-01-2015 at 06:52 AM. Reason: clarification
post #3471 of 3477 Old 08-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Marc and Gertjans - no chance to visit Olive in SF. Not clear how useful that would have been anyway.
Ok, never mind, indeed it could have been a frustrating experience.

I.m.h.o. ripping on an Olive does not depend on their website. This confirms it anyway:
Quote:
When I load a cd for ripping I get the message "reading of cd failed". Playing the cd isn't a problem only ripping doesn't work anymore.
Occasionally I also get the "reading of cd failed" message, and just wiping the disk at my trousers, or talking a bit with love and affection to it, does the trick. Which one of the two isn't clear to me.

I would suggest to Wim to filesystem check the old disk, both sda3 and sda2, and to try to CLONE it on the new disk, leaving the first partition untouched. In other words, just clone sda2 to sda7.Try trueimage http://www.acronis.com (if you are one of the few Windows users left )
@Blue shoes: I will try your radiostations, just wait.

Marc
post #3472 of 3477 Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 AM

Hello Clpetersen, I can create a drop box for the recovery files. Where can I post the username and password for this box?
At the time the recovery files of post 3326 have worked for the new HD. So it's possible the recovery file isn't the problem.

Hello Marc, I'm not a software expert and a Mac user. Is there a way I can do the cloning with a Mac.
I have tried to read the old HD with the Mac but he can't read the disc.
post #3473 of 3477 Old 08-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Wim. Acronis is also available for the Mac. Just follow the link and you will see.
The disk in the Olive is a Linux disk, so the Mac, nor Windows, can read it without help.

If you live in the Netherlands, you could pay me a visit with your Olive and both the hard disks. Having that said, it can take hours to copy all music form one disk to another, even days. It just depends on how much there is to do. So, you might have to leave it here, and that takes guts

Marc
post #3474 of 3477 Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Hi Wim. Acronis is also available for the Mac. Just follow the link and you will see.
The disk in the Olive is a Linux disk, so the Mac, nor Windows, can read it without help.

If you live in the Netherlands, you could pay me a visit with your Olive and both the hard disks. Having that said, it can take hours to copy all music form one disk to another, even days. It just depends on how much there is to do. So, you might have to leave it here, and that takes guts

Marc
Hello Marc, I live in Belgium.
Thanks for the invitation.
I have bought the Olive second hands.
The music on the original HD is not my taste and it's broken.
I have build in a new HD and ripped my own music. The recovery of the new HD wasn't a problem.
A few day's ago I want to rip a cd and the olive responded rare, after that the olive doesn't want to rip cd's anymore.
Is it possible only clone the software for the Olive and not the music?

Wim
post #3475 of 3477 Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Wim, now I understand better how you fare. cloning just the system is possible and takes less time. The system is in the 2. or 3. primary partition, in Linux these have names as sda2 and sda3. But I wonder if they cause the problem with ripping.
Anyway it's worth trying.
With Linux I would use clonezilla.

Marc
post #3476 of 3477 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim12 View Post
Hello Clpetersen, I can create a drop box for the recovery files. Where can I post the username and password for this box?
At the time the recovery files of post 3326 have worked for the new HD. So it's possible the recovery file isn't the problem.

Hello Marc, I'm not a software expert and a Mac user. Is there a way I can do the cloning with a Mac.
I have tried to read the old HD with the Mac but he can't read the disc.
Hello Wim - You can send a personal message on this forum (PM) with the drop box details.
post #3477 of 3477 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Hello Wim - You can send a personal message on this forum (PM) with the drop box details.
Hello clpetersen, I don't know if I already can sent a personal message. I get the message "To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater."
Please let me know if you have received a message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports