"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 117 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #3481 of 3495 Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
It's quite easy. Just import 1 track of some album, look it up in Maestro, give it a reasonable albumname, move all related tracks to it, and delete the imported new track from it. Repeat this procedure for every new album you need.
Now hope that you can relate all 1300 lost souls to their proper album.

It just reminds me of my first effort to build a music collection. I had two pc's, about 4 cd-dvd-rom-ram-drives, and an automated import system. All my then 1300 cd's were ripped in about 4 months.
They made a mess on my NAS that I never overcame.

Then I decided to do it again, slowly. I'm still busy but happy!

Marc

Thanks Marc,
I knew that you would know....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3495 Old 08-14-2015, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a problem with my Olive apps:

Iphone: The app opens for 5 secounds after connecting to the Olive 4HD and closes after some seconds.
Ipad: The app freezes after reload the files from the Olive 4HD.

Can somebody help me with my problems?

Thank you in advance
post #3483 of 3495 Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Parts

I am a long-suffering Olive owner (Symphony, Opus 5 and 6HD). No longer have the Symphony, the 5 works flawlessly and the 6HD has quit (having been back to Olive twice for a rebuild). Olive told me they will not service/repair the 6HD. It starts, screen works, shows it plays but no feed from any of the outputs. It does stream via UPNP. CD player does not work either. If anyone is interested in this for parts, I would be happy to donate it if you pay shipping. I am in Chicago Illinois USA. It really is an attractive-looking piece of equipment, and I would hate to see it in a landfill, although there have been a few times when I might have carried it to one myself!

I bought a Naim and a Synology Server, and that setup has worked with great sound and without incident. It is sad that Olive showed such promise but had such dismal results.
post #3484 of 3495 Old 08-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry, I don't need an Olibe 6HD. If anyone wants to offer me an Olive 4 (not HD), I will be glad to accept it.

My little story: my original Olive 4 showed to have ODB version 1.3.2. My other much changed Olives showed ODB version 1.2.3.
Because ripping isn't without problems with the latter Olives (breaking off track info comes to my mind), I investigated some time to see what differences 1.3.2 and 1.2.3 really make. To start with the bad news, the track-info is also cut off with 1.3.2.
The good news is: some not-recognized cd's with 1.2.3 are now recognized with 1.3.2. Also the recognition takes less time.

(ODB is Open DataBase, the database of FreeDB. The Olive has an ODB.DAT in two places, one in the system partition, the other in the data partition. The one in the data partition is used. In my case the one in the system partition is a few kilobytes big, whereas the data partition had a gigabyte big ODB.DAT. I replaced the big one with the small one.)

Marc
post #3485 of 3495 Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by segoodman View Post
I am a long-suffering Olive owner (Symphony, Opus 5 and 6HD). No longer have the Symphony, the 5 works flawlessly and the 6HD has quit (having been back to Olive twice for a rebuild). Olive told me they will not service/repair the 6HD. It starts, screen works, shows it plays but no feed from any of the outputs. It does stream via UPNP. CD player does not work either. If anyone is interested in this for parts, I would be happy to donate it if you pay shipping. I am in Chicago Illinois USA. It really is an attractive-looking piece of equipment, and I would hate to see it in a landfill, although there have been a few times when I might have carried it to one myself!

I bought a Naim and a Synology Server, and that setup has worked with great sound and without incident. It is sad that Olive showed such promise but had such dismal results.
Hello Segoodman,

I'm very interested in the Olive HD06 for parts.
How can I contact you, I can not sent you a personal message.

Wim
post #3486 of 3495 Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Segoodman, if you can open the unit, it's quite likely that you only need to re-attach some cables inside, to get it working again.
post #3487 of 3495 Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 PM
wbk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Hi Wbk, I use a voltage meter to know when the Olive that I use for editing has his hard disk halted. Then it uses 9 Watt and I can safely power it down. No doubt the hard disk is most vulnerable, second are the connectors and next is the stuff on the motherboard, the dac and the rest of the hardware. They all will wear out. One can argue that shutting off and on can do more harm than leaving it on, both pro and con arguments can be given. I like to power it off when not in use. It gives me some confidence.
Thunder and lightning won't harm, it uses 0 Watt.

How much does a 4 HD consume when idle?

Marc
Marc how do you an olive for editing
post #3488 of 3495 Old 08-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

With Maestro of course. The Olive is backuped to two external hard disks, and restored to the O-live which I use to reproduce the music.
Works flawlessly. Of course I developed my own way of backing up and restoring, or else I had to use the medieval way that the Olives provide.

Last edited by mumsoft; Yesterday at 12:45 AM.
post #3489 of 3495 Old 08-22-2015, 03:48 PM
wbk

Quote:
With Maestro of course. It's backup to two external hard disks, and restored to the O-live which I use to reproduce the music.
Works flawlessly. Of course I developed my own way of backing up and restoring, or else I had to use the medieval way that the Olives provide.
Marc, I backup to an external hard drive directley from one of the olives ( not through maestro) and restore directly from the backup to the other olives it doesn't seem medieval to me. Am I missing something? Would you please let me how you backup and restore.
post #3490 of 3495 Old 08-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, Maestro is indeed not involved with this.
As my Olives have release 4.1.9 as the final software update, they also have the full backup and restore that Olive provides. With more than 1 TB of music and only 10 newly ripped or edited cd's added at a time, a full backup is a medieval way of securing the database.
I use rsync to replace this.
If you want to know more, be patient, because I myself now need a full night sleep.

Marc
post #3491 of 3495 Old 08-23-2015, 01:53 PM
wbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by segoodman View Post

Segoodman, I sent you a PM regarding your offer to donate your 06 for parts. If you didn't get it I would appreciate it very much if you would call me at 2145998632 in dallas
post #3492 of 3495 Old 08-23-2015, 01:55 PM
wbk

Quote:
Sorry, Maestro is indeed not involved with this.
As my Olives have release 4.1.9 as the final software update, they also have the full backup and restore that Olive provides. With more than 1 TB of music and only 10 newly ripped or edited cd's added at a time, a full backup is a medieval way of securing the database.
I use rsync to replace this.
If you want to know more, be patient, because I myself now need a full night sleep.

Marc
Marc, by all means get a good night sleep. If and when you have time, please explain how you "resync"
post #3493 of 3495 Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbk View Post
Marc, by all means get a good night sleep. If and when you have time, please explain how you "resync"
Maybe it's an idea that GJ1970 wants to ad this to his site http://www.lydo.nl. I thought that I had done so in the past, but my memory takes me by the nose.

You need a proper working RSYNC on your Olive, then all will go smoothly with a Linux machine at hand.
I make several backups a week, and about once a month this will all go to the O-Live in the audioset.

The gory details will hopefully follow.

Marc
post #3494 of 3495 Old Today, 12:31 PM
wbk

Quote:
Marc, all three of my olives indicate 4.3.2 as the updated software version. Have you tried to update yours?
I don't know what a "properly working resync" means
Warren
post #3495 of 3495 Old Today, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Marc, all three of my olives indicate 4.3.2 as the updated software version. Have you tried to update yours?
I don't know what a "properly working resync" means
Warren
The old Olive 4 (NOT HD) will stop at version 4.1.9. With 4.2.0. Olive delivered the much awaited and longed for incremental (or was it differential?) backup, thereby leaving all Olive not HD users in the cold.
Way before they even promised to work on a better backup, I did it my way. I took out the hard disk, attached it to my PC, and copied just the new stuff to another hard disk, which I had cloned from the Olive HD. To restore the new stuff on my O-live I did the same vice versa.

Then entered Frolic on this forum. He is/was an embedded software programmer and new something more of the secrets in the Olive. He found out how to get at the data without removing the hard disk, just with software (ssh, sshfs). He provided me with the RSYNC program that was missing in the Olive. You can't just copy rsync form your Linux pc to the Olive, that won't work. rsync (not resync) is a Linux utility.
My rsync on my Linux pc will communicate with rsync on the Olive in the backup/restore process.

I'm quite sure that I wrote about this stuf in extenso, maybe a year ago.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports