"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

Old 06-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Oh no. It's just a matter to tell your Olive that olive.us is online and that it's address is where your Olive is. 127.0.0.1 if I'm correct.
You add this to your hosts file and you're done.

When I am at my pc I will recite the complete file.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Here is the hosts file that I have. It's located in the etc map:

Quote:
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
#regel toegevoegd zodat internetradio ook werkt als de Olive-site down is (marc 31-05-2014)
127.0.0.1 olive.us olive
That does the trick. Of course it also keeps your Olive from getting updates, but who cares nowadays?

Marc
Old 06-24-2016, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Instructions can also be found on
http://www.lydo.nl/olive/internet-down/

Since I mostly use an Olive 2 (write protected) I have not done the change myself.

Best regards,

Gertjan
Old 06-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
Instructions can also be found on
http://www.lydo.nl/olive/internet-down/

Gertjan
That is the real trick. Thanks! I just forgot about it. Merely changing the hosts file won't last.

Marc
Old 06-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Olive 04HD stuck at startup

Hi everyone,

I own my olive for almost 3 years now.
When I started it up today after not using it since last christmas, I noticed it's not starting up further then the white startup screen with the text "System starting up, please wait ...".

What could be the problem here?

I tried the following;
  • Starting it up with a UTP cable attached to it
  • Starting it up without a UTP cable to it
  • starting it up after a while
  • starting it up with an antenna attached to it
  • starting it up without an antenna attached to it

Now I don't have much music stored on it's harddrive so If a reset or anything is possible, I'd like to know how I could do that.
I already searched for an image to reset the disk completely but couldn't find any img files for an olive 04HD on the web.

If anyone has tips for me I'd be grateful
Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiraal View Post
Hi everyone,

When I started it up today after not using it since last christmas, I noticed it's not starting up further then the white startup screen with the text "System starting up, please wait ...".

I tried the following;

Now I don't have much music stored on it's harddrive so If a reset or anything is possible, I'd like to know how I could do that.
I already searched for an image to reset the disk completely but couldn't find any img files for an olive 04HD on the web.

Someone here must have a 4HD recovery disk. But usually these are also packed with a newly bought Olive (and seldom come with a second-hand one )

Marc (who still has to go to the post office to inquire for postage cost of some O3 parts)
Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reconnecting my Olive machines

Dear friends,
I have been away from this forum for quite some time. Just moved back to The Hague and setting up my stereo again. 2hd and 4hd still working fine except for the following issues: 1.app still freezes on iPad and iPhone. 2. No internet radio. I saw the posts concerning the second issue, but I don't think I can manage rewriting the Sw. Question for my Dutch friends: is there a local hi-fi store that used to sell these and still has enough technical knowledge to help me out? Also with future ambition to transfer 1tb of music to a more reliable and actually customer friendly machine (got a demonstration of NAÏM Unitilite at STOET hi-fi in the Hague). Why anyone would want to deal with Olive after the experiences we had over the last 8 years is a mistery to me.
Cheers, Tim
Old 07-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 View Post
Dear friends,
I have been away from this forum for quite some time. Just moved back to The Hague and setting up my stereo again. 2hd and 4hd still working fine except for the following issues: 1.app still freezes on iPad and iPhone. 2. No internet radio. I saw the posts concerning the second issue, but I don't think I can manage rewriting the Sw. Question for my Dutch friends: is there a local hi-fi store that used to sell these and still has enough technical knowledge to help me out? Also with future ambition to transfer 1tb of music to a more reliable and actually customer friendly machine (got a demonstration of NAÏM Unitilite at STOET hi-fi in the Hague). Why anyone would want to deal with Olive after the experiences we had over the last 8 years is a mistery to me.
Cheers, Tim
You got a pm.

Marc
Old 07-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Someone here must have a 4HD recovery disk. But usually these are also packed with a newly bought Olive (and seldom come with a second-hand one )

Marc (who still has to go to the post office to inquire for postage cost of some O3 parts)
So then my next question:
Who here has such a recovery disk and is willing to share it with me?
Old 07-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiraal View Post
Hi everyone,

I tried the following;

I do have the recovery files for the 04HD and the recovery CD image. About 2.4 GB in total size. if you have a dropbox or ftp site I can transfer it.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:39 PM

Streaming from 4HD

Dear friends,
Quick question:
Will a Bluesound node2 or a Naim Muso be able to "read" my O4Hd? I want to stream to another room
Thanks for any info
Cheers Tim
Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

I think so. But be aware of the fact that you won't see all fields, as those other streamers use different databases. But Artist-album-track should work.

Marc
greywolf62 likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:25 AM

Trying to connect Bluesound Powernode 2

Hi everybody,
I have a BS powernode2 in order to stream from O4HD to another room. BS notices the presence of the Olive (\\BCRM-LVG\storage) but seems unable to connect. Is there any way I could point the BS in the right direction by writing the path manually?.
Thanks
Tim
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hi everybody,
I have a BS powernode2 in order to stream from O4HD to another room. BS notices the presence of the Olive (\\BCRM-LVG\storage) but seems unable to connect. Is there any way I could point the BS in the right direction by writing the path manually?.
Thanks
Tim
I tried this as well with several potential connections - Sonos (no-go), Samsung Smart TV - did play music, but very glitchy (this could be mainly an issue with Samsung), and some third party remotes on an iPad that worked with DLNA-compliant devices. These remotes worked for the most part and could access the Olive library, but not fields or artwork edited by Maestro (see comment from Marc). They usually put the Olive into a funny state that required a power cycle.

My conclusion: the Olive does not work well as a server nor was it fully DLNA compliant. I did not spend much time trouble shooting.

My recommendation - move the library off of the Olive.
markrubin likes this.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I tried this as well with several potential connections - Sonos (no-go), Samsung Smart TV - did play music, but very glitchy (this could be mainly an issue with Samsung), and some third party remotes on an iPad that worked with DLNA-compliant devices. These remotes worked for the most part and could access the Olive library, but not fields or artwork edited by Maestro (see comment from Marc). They usually put the Olive into a funny state that required a power cycle.

My conclusion: the Olive does not work well as a server nor was it fully DLNA compliant. I did not spend much time trouble shooting.

My recommendation - move the library off of the Olive.
Thanks for the advise, but I would like to hang on to my Olive as long as it functions. Interesting development today; I hooked up my Back-up drive to the Powernode and to my surprise it started indexing immediately. At least I am now able to play my Olive encoded music on the BS, and it looks stable. Artists, albums and tracks and even the albumcovers look great. So now I know the BS can read my Olive. Only question that remains is why the BS can't import from my O4HD through WiFi.

Cheers
Tim
Old 07-29-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advise, but I would like to hang on to my Olive as long as it functions. Interesting development today; I hooked up my Back-up drive to the Powernode and to my surprise it started indexing immediately. At least I am now able to play my Olive encoded music on the BS, and it looks stable. Artists, albums and tracks and even the albumcovers look great. So now I know the BS can read my Olive. Only question that remains is why the BS can't import from my O4HD through WiFi.

Cheers
Tim
Good news; nice work around. Of course that is equivalent to moving the library off the Olive. Olive took some steps a few years ago to jailbreak their own library as it was causing a revolt amongst users.

So, make sure you do any edits, updates to the library off the Olive and import to the Olive connecting to it as a server (use the IP address that Olive gives you); just don't use Maestro to edit/update the library - Maestro does not write to the embedded tags but rather to the Olive data base, so any edits done via Maestro won't be picked up by BlueSound. In essence, don't use the Olive backup any more - the primary library (now on your PC or NAS or portable USB drive) will be loaded onto the Olive and also used by Bluesound. Make sense?

apologies if you know all this already. BTW, I use JRiver to rip and manage the library, another favorite is dBPoweramp.

wifi - no ideas here.

Last edited by clpetersen; 07-29-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I have a German Raumfeld Connector 2 streaming client. This system is able to connect via upnp to my 4HD. It took initially 30-40 minutes to analyze 1.4 TB music data. And now it is very easy for me to use the Raumfeld iPad app to get fast wifi access to my 4HD music. E.g. I create play lists with a mix of music from TIDAL and the 4HD etc.

This is an interim solution, because in the end I prefer to have the 4HD files on a NAS or USB drive. But for the moment it is okay. To control the 4HD with Raumfeld is much better than doing it with the 4HD itself.

Regards
Old 08-01-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkrabe View Post
Hi,

I have a German Raumfeld Connector 2 streaming client. This system is able to connect via upnp to my 4HD. It took initially 30-40 minutes to analyze 1.4 TB music data. And now it is very easy for me to use the Raumfeld iPad app to get fast wifi access to my 4HD music. E.g. I create play lists with a mix of music from TIDAL and the 4HD etc.

This is an interim solution, because in the end I prefer to have the 4HD files on a NAS or USB drive. But for the moment it is okay. To control the 4HD with Raumfeld is much better than doing it with the 4HD itself.

Regards
Can you tell me how the Raumfeld recognizes your Olive? Is there a Path defined?
I think it must be possible for the Bluesound to connect with my O4HD. All my Samsung equipment as well as all our pc's and laptops connect and work perfectly with the O4HD.
Thanks Tim
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me how the Raumfeld recognizes your Olive? Is there a Path defined?
I think it must be possible for the Bluesound to connect with my O4HD. All my Samsung equipment as well as all our pc's and laptops connect and work perfectly with the O4HD.
Thanks Tim
Hi Tim,

The 4HD acts as an upnp server. After connecting the streaming client to my wlan it was very easy to find the olive. There was no special path to be defined.

The Olive upnp media server should be available in your wlan.

When I look at google I can read that Bluesound does not offer upnp and is not able to connect to upnp servers. Only conventional file sharing is allowed. That is a pity, because upnp is a standard to do things like this.

Regards
Juergen
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkrabe View Post
Hi Tim,

The 4HD acts as an upnp server. After connecting the streaming client to my wlan it was very easy to find the olive. There was no special path to be defined.

The Olive upnp media server should be available in your wlan.

When I look at google I can read that Bluesound does not offer upnp and is not able to connect to upnp servers. Only conventional file sharing is allowed. That is a pity, because upnp is a standard to do things like this.

Regards
Juergen
Tanks Juergen, you are right. That seems to be the problem. I Will return the BS tomorrow and actually consider to go for the Raumfeld as well.
Cheers Tim
Old 08-05-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Tanks Juergen, you are right. That seems to be the problem. I Will return the BS tomorrow and actually consider to go for the Raumfeld as well.
Cheers Tim
Hi Tim,

Depends on your location. Raumfeld might only be available in Germany.

Cheers
Juergen
Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hello all I am new here and is a problem that I can find anywhere on the Internet.

I took over an olive melody 2 recently and the problem is that among Internet radio I can choose anything example , among genres, regions , languages ​​and search Funtion does not work , the only thing that works is that it can add favorites by means of a radio url .

I get myself the impression that I have no connection to the server of olive, or should this be so.

Who has a solution to this problem .

thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_114119.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1610777   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_114211.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1610825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_132438.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	1610857  
Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Olive Server

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobinky View Post
hello all I am new here and is a problem that I can find anywhere on the Internet.

I took over an olive melody 2 recently and the problem is that among Internet radio I can choose anything example , among genres, regions , languages ​​and search Funtion does not work , the only thing that works is that it can add favorites by means of a radio url .

I get myself the impression that I have no connection to the server of olive, or should this be so.

Who has a solution to this problem .

thank you in advance.
You are correct.The Oliver server is no longer on-line. There are software work-arounds for this on this forum; not sure about the Melody solution however.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:32 PM

Hi all
I am new to this forum as I have recently acquired an Olive 06HD which is playing up.
It consistently gets stuck on the Starting Up screen although occasionally does boot up properly but this is becoming a rare occurrence and it also seems to get quite warm.
I think the Hard disk has finally gone and so I am looking to replace it.
Does anyone have any clear instructions for replacing the hard disk and also, as the Olive site seems now to be down is it possible to get hold of the relevant files to put onto a USB stick to enable the me to make a USB recovery disk?
Many thanks
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc61 View Post
Hi all
I am new to this forum as I have recently acquired an Olive 06HD which is playing up.
It consistently gets stuck on the Starting Up screen although occasionally does boot up properly but this is becoming a rare occurrence and it also seems to get quite warm.
I think the Hard disk has finally gone and so I am looking to replace it.
Does anyone have any clear instructions for replacing the hard disk and also, as the Olive site seems now to be down is it possible to get hold of the relevant files to put onto a USB stick to enable the me to make a USB recovery disk?
Many thanks
Hi - if you search for other posts from me, you will see how to replace the hard disk. It is not difficult. I switched to a 2.5" disk and placed inside a 3.5" converter box to eliminate all hard drive noise.

Yes, it does run warm. Not sure why, but it is the design.

I can send the recovery files, but you will need a drop box or similar. Too big to email - about 2 GB.

Note: I no longer have the 06HD.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 AM

Thank you for your kind help.
I have now set up a dropbox but I am unable to send you a personal message with the details as I don't have enough posts.
Its probably best if you pm me with an email contact and I can forward the personal dropbox details etc.
Best wishes
David
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc61 View Post
Thank you for your kind help.
I have now set up a dropbox but I am unable to send you a personal message with the details as I don't have enough posts.
Its probably best if you pm me with an email contact and I can forward the personal dropbox details etc.
Best wishes
David
PM sent -
Old 09-07-2016, 11:17 PM

Thanks and email sent re details for Dropbox
Old 09-12-2016, 05:56 AM

I have a Olive 06HD. And i have a problem with the headphone jack. When i try to listen to music it is very hard to hear if i turn up the volume the sound is distorted and sounds like some static. Can the headphone jack be fixed by Olive?

(problem solved)

Last edited by olive hd; 09-13-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
You are correct.The Oliver server is no longer on-line. There are software work-arounds for this on this forum; not sure about the Melody solution however.

sorry for the late response , I will look again at this forum how can I get that the Internet connection for each other.

does anyone here have the recovery software for the olive melody 2 ? I can not find anywhere

further I go to the Olive website go there is that the support will continue for the older olive products and the website mid august back oline will , that's true too ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement