"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > "Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD
zbrett's Avatar zbrett 06:10 PM 07-30-2009
A couple of nice reviews of the Musical Fidelity - V-DAC here:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MFVDAC

I ended up with the CA Dacmagic, mostly because of the reviews, and that all my other 2-channel gear is CA.

egoss's Avatar egoss 06:55 PM 07-30-2009
Here's a guy on eBay selling the new 2TB Opus for for $1000 over listed selling price! And, he is offering to help you commit fraud by understating the value for overseas customers. And, he has 5 available, so don't miss out. Will people really fall for that? I'm going to watch the listing just to see what happens. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110419097400
zbrett's Avatar zbrett 06:58 AM 07-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

Here's a guy on eBay selling the new 2TB Opus for for $1000 over listed selling price! And, he is offering to help you commit fraud by understating the value for overseas customers. And, he has 5 available, so don't miss out. Will people really fall for that? I'm going to watch the listing just to see what happens. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110419097400

Some great feedback too. What a tool...
millhouselives's Avatar millhouselives 08:10 AM 07-31-2009
Hi All,

Great Forum! Well a little background on me, in I.T. field for many many years, but audio aspect is new to me. I was asked to help setup a home network with a Westell 7500 DSL modem/router and some laptops, in addition to installing a new Olive Opus 4 to that nework via wireless.

So yesterday I installed/setup/configured the Westell 7500 modem, all went well. Next I configured two laptops security settings to access the new 7500 modem/router via their wireless adapters. They worked fine.

The DSL modem/router is on second floor of house, so we took the laptops downstairs ...and we test drove the laptops "in all the rooms (5) and received "excellent signal strenght" in all. So with the "home networking part being completed, I started to unbox the Opus 4 and set that up.

The Existing music setup exist of a ChannelPlus MDS-6A and a now dead Cambridge Azur640H, which is being replaced by the new Opus 4. There are keypads controllers in every room with flush mount speakers in every room.

This equipment is located in the basement, but we would like to now place the Olive 4 on the 1st floor of the house. When I first tried to setup a "wireless" connection" to the Opus it would not find the network, so thinking I was too far away I located the Opus right next to the modem/router on second floor and still the Opus would report "no wireless networks found".

So then I connected Opus via Ethernet cable to the router/modem and downloaded latest firmware..Opus rebooted itself...and the it found wireless network settings, etc. So now I take it downstairs to the first floor and try it
and receive very very weak signal. I actually took it to the room directly below the room where the modem/router is located. I have checked and rechecked the fit and tightness of the "screw on" antenna on the Opus and that is fine. I have an email into Olive to ask what the wireless range should be for the Opus. Keep in mind that the two laptops connect wireless to the modem/router with no problem from the first floor, from outside all with excellent signal strength. The house is wood framed and about 1,000 sq ft.

So here are some questions for the experts.

Since we want to put the new Opus on the first floor.

1) Would we be better off buying new audio cables to run from the ChannelPlus MDS-6A in the basement to the Opus on the first floor?

2)The distance would be about 20-25 feet, is that distance OK would they lose sound quality. Of course we would buy "quality" cables as needed.

Next, we would run an ethernet cable from the modem/router on the second floor down to the ethernet port on the Opus located on the first floor.

3) Doing it this way would remove the "wireless" issue and in my mind be a much better setup for data transfer of music, Internet Radio, more stable, etc. Agree or Disagree?

4) Finally, almost forgot anybody have the Opus 4setup and using wireless and if so home far away from your modem/router were you able to place your Opus 4?

Thank you so much and please if I am in wrong place for this post, just ask me to redirect and I will.

Steve
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:36 PM 07-31-2009
Hi Steve, welcome.

The way with cables is indeed the best in this case.
But you could also opt for a solution of lan over electricity or similar.
I have not tried to connect the Opus wireless before, but I just did. As I have a secret SSID to prevent foreign gear to try to make contact, and the Opus does not allow to put in a SSID manually, this is almost a no-go area for me.
(If you keep the SSID secret from the beginning, no wifi-gear will see it, and hence will not put it in a list of possible networks to scan for, which I value)
Nevertheless, I would have expected something better. All my other wifi hardware (pc/laptop/streamers) are more capable.
For audio quality, I would try to put the Opus as near as possible to the amp; ethernet cable can be as long as 100 meter before it breaks the signal.

Marc
zbrett's Avatar zbrett 09:33 AM 08-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouselives View Post

Hi All,

Great Forum! Well a little background on me, in I.T. field for many many years, but audio aspect is new to me. I was asked to help setup a home network with a Westell 7500 DSL modem/router and some laptops, in addition to installing a new Olive Opus 4 to that nework via wireless.

So yesterday I installed/setup/configured the Westell 7500 modem, all went well. Next I configured two laptops security settings to access the new 7500 modem/router via their wireless adapters. They worked fine.

The DSL modem/router is on second floor of house, so we took the laptops downstairs ...and we test drove the laptops "in all the rooms (5) and received "excellent signal strenght" in all. So with the "home networking part being completed, I started to unbox the Opus 4 and set that up.

The Existing music setup exist of a ChannelPlus MDS-6A and a now dead Cambridge Azur640H, which is being replaced by the new Opus 4. There are keypads controllers in every room with flush mount speakers in every room.

This equipment is located in the basement, but we would like to now place the Olive 4 on the 1st floor of the house. When I first tried to setup a "wireless" connection" to the Opus it would not find the network, so thinking I was too far away I located the Opus right next to the modem/router on second floor and still the Opus would report "no wireless networks found".

So then I connected Opus via Ethernet cable to the router/modem and downloaded latest firmware..Opus rebooted itself...and the it found wireless network settings, etc. So now I take it downstairs to the first floor and try it
and receive very very weak signal. I actually took it to the room directly below the room where the modem/router is located. I have checked and rechecked the fit and tightness of the "screw on" antenna on the Opus and that is fine. I have an email into Olive to ask what the wireless range should be for the Opus. Keep in mind that the two laptops connect wireless to the modem/router with no problem from the first floor, from outside all with excellent signal strength. The house is wood framed and about 1,000 sq ft.

So here are some questions for the experts.

Since we want to put the new Opus on the first floor.

1) Would we be better off buying new audio cables to run from the ChannelPlus MDS-6A in the basement to the Opus on the first floor?

2)The distance would be about 20-25 feet, is that distance OK would they lose sound quality. Of course we would buy "quality" cables as needed.

Next, we would run an ethernet cable from the modem/router on the second floor down to the ethernet port on the Opus located on the first floor.

3) Doing it this way would remove the "wireless" issue and in my mind be a much better setup for data transfer of music, Internet Radio, more stable, etc. Agree or Disagree?

4) Finally, almost forgot anybody have the Opus 4setup and using wireless and if so home far away from your modem/router were you able to place your Opus 4?

Thank you so much and please if I am in wrong place for this post, just ask me to redirect and I will.

Steve

I've run both my Opus 4 and Melody 2 in wireless mode, with the Opus 4 on the 2nd floor, the Melody 2 on the 1st floor, and the wireless AP on the 1st floor using WAP. It worked, but I prefer to run wired Ethernet (and do) since wireless connections can be finicky, not only with the Opus, but with other Audio/HT gear as well. Definitely avoid wireless if you can.
Grit's Avatar Grit 06:00 PM 08-01-2009
I just ordered my Opus No.4 last week. When i was talking to the Olive employee who took my order, he said they didnt have any of the 350 GB versions on hand, but they had the 500 and 1TB versions. So they sent me a 500GB version.

I got home and found they'd announced a price change. The 350 and 750 are dropped. The 500 occupies its slot, the 1 TB is the 500's old spot, and the new 2 TB version is the old 1TB price.

Also, they said it was a 30 day money back guarantee, but the paperwork that shipped with the device says 2 weeks AND a 20% restocking fee!!!

So what pisses me off is that they KNEW about this, and sold me the 500 GB version at the old price without saying anything to me.

Presently, my impression is that Olive is playing games with their customers, and I'm not impressed. I'm rather disappointed about all of this so far, especially after reading some high praises about their customer service. I can't talk to anyone right now about it, but it'll be the first thing I do Monday morning. I'm pleased with the player (for the most part), but I'm not investing this kind of money if this is their customer service. I sincerely hope they'll help me rectify this on Monday, and that they have an explanation for the two different return policies.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
Grit's Avatar Grit 06:02 PM 08-01-2009
I've been playing with the internet radio feature. I've added a few local streamed FM stations. I was lucky enough to find http://www.radio-locator.com/ to find some URLs. However, when I put them into the Opus, it took about 1-2 minutes before I heard music. And now, after adding a 3rd station, I can't hear anything at all. This would be a nice feature *if it worked*. I'm hoping this is a user error on my end. Can anyone offer any insight?
egoss's Avatar egoss 08:03 PM 08-01-2009
Grit - I have never been one who has complimented Olive on their business practices - In fact, I have ranted about their horrible customer service more than once. A few months ago I ordered the top-of-the-line Opus 5. It arrived a week late DOA. Never powered up - not once. After jerking me around for two weeks, I gave up and asked to return it and get my money back. They charged me a $350 restocking fee for a POS unit that never even turned on! I will NEVER give Olive a penny's worth of business again. I only own an Olive because it fills a need in my system. If I ever need to upgrade my Musica, which I doubt, since it does just what I need, I'll buy another used unit. If the powers that be at Olive only knew how easily they could be THE player in the HDD music storage market they might get their respective heads out of their butts and start treating their customers well, like customers instead of just dollar signs. Their hardware and software are SO close to being really good that it wouldn't take much to make them industry-leading. But what do I know, I've only been buying & using Hi-fi equipment for over 40 years - and running a successful business for over 30 years - where we treat the customers like friends who happen to want to let us serve them. When the bean-counters run the business, it's "Last one to leave turn out the lights" when the company folds. End of rant. Sorry for the length of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post

Also, they said it was a 30 day money back guarantee, but the paperwork that shipped with the device says 2 weeks AND a 20% restocking fee!!!

So what pisses me off is that they KNEW about this, and sold me the 500 GB version at the old price without saying anything to me.

Presently, my impression is that Olive is playing games with their customers, and I'm not impressed. I'm rather disappointed about all of this so far, especially after reading some high praises about their customer service. I can't talk to anyone right now about it, but it'll be the first thing I do Monday morning. I'm pleased with the player (for the most part), but I'm not investing this kind of money if this is their customer service. I sincerely hope they'll help me rectify this on Monday, and that they have an explanation for the two different return policies.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Grit's Avatar Grit 12:25 AM 08-02-2009
Thanks for your reply Egoss.

I can't say I'm happy to read it, but i really would like to hear about everyone's experience(s). I feel about the same as you do. They have quite a nice piece of equipment there, and it seems to work pretty well (aside from a few minor, easily fixable software problems). I sincerely hope they make a full believer out of me, and that I can sing their praises come Monday afternoon. Regardless, they should have said something when i ordered the player about the price changing the following week. As I'm within my 30 day return policy (or is it 14??), i expect them to allow me to exchange my unit for a 1 TB unit.

I hope they realize their best chance at business is word of mouth, and that customer service IS important. i don't feel what I'm asking for is at all unreasonable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If this fails, i have a few other hardware options lined up. Either way though, I'll keep everyone informed of what they do. Here's hoping for the best!
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 03:17 AM 08-02-2009
Here in the Netherlands if have to deal with the dealer solely. Buying via internet has good regulations, one can send a unit back without having to specify why, within 8 days (if I´m correct).
About internetradio: i have better experiences. I have added about 8 stations which all work, but sometimes the text is missing. Did you downloaded the latest update, Gritt?
Also, i think that the speed of starting must have something to do with your internet settings and other devices, say the DNS server.

Marc
Grit's Avatar Grit 12:44 PM 08-02-2009
In all fairness, I tried to directly add the radio stations though that website I found. I didn't wait for the player to populate the list and pick from there, which perhaps I should do.

The Opus is connected through wired gigabit/cat6 networking, so there's no signal or encryption issue. I'll have to double check the router to see if there's anything outstanding there that could cause a problem, but I get great throughput for web connections using a computer on the same line.

I wish we had the 8 day, no question asked return policy here. I haven't given up hope yet. Olive could easily to the right thing and make it all better. If so, I'll go brag about them to my local high-end audio connection guy. I know they won't carry Olive's products, but he's not shy about recommending stuff like that to his customers. They go out of their way to make sure their customers are happy.
millhouselives's Avatar millhouselives 03:43 PM 08-02-2009
Zbrett and Mumsoft,

Thanks for your replies regarding my questions related to wireless and the use of it with the Opus 4. In answer to the direction the thread has taken, I have called customer service a few times and I have to say, they were very nice and very helpful.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:26 AM 08-03-2009
Quote:

In all fairness, I tried to directly add the radio stations though that website I found. I didn't wait for the player to populate the list and pick from there, which perhaps I should do.
[...]

I can't understand how you did this (my fault).
If I must add a station, I have to use the awkward onscreen keyboard, because I can't copy & paste the url. It's easy to make a mistake.
Furthermore, stations come & go.

Marc
Grit's Avatar Grit 09:50 AM 08-03-2009
Sorry for the confusion. You are exactly right though. I used the website I found (the link is in my OP) to find the URL. On the Opus, I selected Internet Radio, then Favorites, and added a new favorite. I then typed the URL in using the Opus keybord. I'm hoping Olive will make this accessable via their web application because, as you stated, its PAINFUL typing it in.

The problem is that it took 1-5 mins for the playback to start, if at all. After talking to Olive, they suggest holding the play/pause button for 2-3 sec to stop one station playback before starting another. I haven't tried it yet, but as the problem occurred even with the first station i selected, I doubt it'll fix it. At least it would be nice if there was a "buffering" icon, like the circle of dots you see sometimes.
shamus's Avatar shamus 09:54 AM 08-03-2009
My olive constantly asks me to set up a wireless network. I keep clicking on wired and save and in 2 minutes it asks again????
Grit's Avatar Grit 10:01 AM 08-03-2009
Ok, so I've talked to Olive this morning. They were very pleasant to deal with, listening to all of my concerns and taking an interest in my problems.

The first issue - the 30 day money back guarantee. The paperwork that was shipped with my unit is incorrect, according to Olive. The correct return policy is 30 days with a full refund (not including shipping). I think that's fair and, more importantly, that was what they advertised. So, the paperwork I received is a mistake. Of course, their policy is subject to change in the future, but as long as they tell their customers ahead of time (before they buy), that seems fair.

The second issue - new pricing - I was told sales was only made aware of the price change about one week before the press release. This was STILL before I ordered the item. So, I'm not supper happy about that. However, I can understand that if the prices weren't in effect when I ordered, then they weren't in effect. The important part - Olive said they would refund me the difference in the price. So i would get the difference back given the current pricing. An excellent and appropriate thing to do!

Now, what I wanted and am hoping for though is to exchange my unit (500GB) for the 1TB version. The price I paid for the 500GB version is now the price for the 1TB version. I expect to pay shipping cost for at least one unit, and I don't fault them for that. I'm the one asking to make the exchange. The sales person I spoke to said he thought they could work that out and he would call me right back. Given the 30 day return policy, I don't see how they couldn't work that out, but we'll see what happens.

Anyway, for those of you who like to scroll to the end (like I do sometimes), Olive's customer service, in my experience, was plesant and I felt that my concerns were appropriately adn farily taken care of.

I'll post back to let you know what happens with the exchange.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:06 PM 08-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

My olive constantly asks me to set up a wireless network. I keep clicking on wired and save and in 2 minutes it asks again????

Weird. Never had that. Since when?

Marc
shamus's Avatar shamus 02:10 PM 08-03-2009
since last firmware.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:11 PM 08-03-2009
Quote:

Sorry for the confusion. You are exactly right though. I used the website I found (the link is in my OP) to find the URL. On the Opus, I selected Internet Radio, then Favorites, and added a new favorite. I then typed the URL in using the Opus keybord. I'm hoping Olive will make this accessable via their web application because, as you stated, its PAINFUL typing it in.

The problem is that it took 1-5 mins for the playback to start, if at all. After talking to Olive, they suggest holding the play/pause button for 2-3 sec to stop one station playback before starting another. I haven't tried it yet, but as the problem occurred even with the first station i selected, I doubt it'll fix it. At least it would be nice if there was a "buffering" icon, like the circle of dots you see sometimes.

Ok, maybe you just found a nice tip, in that stopping is done by holding the pause button for a while (it works!). I always wondered why this button is not available, although it did not worry me enough to make any fuss about it.

Could you please give the url for the not-playing station? I like to try it.
Edit: When it's playing one station,I can switch to another one instantly. Only, when a station is not available or not responding quickly, the Opus tells me to wait, and eventually tells me that it failed to open the stream.

Marc
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:24 PM 08-03-2009
Quote:

since last firmware.

Seems something went wrong. I don't know if it is possibly to reload the firmware in some way or another.
Maybe you better ask Olive customer care if there is some solution (and not the obvious one: recovering with the latest recovery cd and loose all your data)

Marc
shamus's Avatar shamus 02:40 PM 08-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Seems something went wrong. I don't know if it is possibly to reload the firmware in some way or another.
Maybe you better ask Olive customer care if there is some solution (and not the obvious one: recovering with the latest recovery cd and loose all your data)

Marc

Ok... Been ignoring it for quite a while since I havnt been using it too much and was hoping I was just doing something stupid. Ill give em a call... thanks!
drmolitor's Avatar drmolitor 06:22 PM 08-03-2009
Thanks for the feedback on the V-DAC guys. Might be the one for me.
About radio: I've yet to successfully add my own stations. They always fail to open the stream or just load indefinitely. Grit and Marc, could you give me a station you've added so I can see if I'm able to on mine? Thanks.
Grit's Avatar Grit 10:36 PM 08-03-2009
I got my internet radio stations from this website: http://www.radio-locator.com/

Specifically, I added 94.1 FM and 100.7 FM for local San Diego, California radio. The URL's are as follows:

94.1 = http://a203.l1978843536.c19788.g.lm.akamaistream.net

100.7 = http://wmc1.liquidcompass.cc/KFMBFM

Now, in all fairness, i JUST tried them on my computer and they don't work their either. The odd part was that after several minutes, the did work (occasionally) on the opus. Perhaps its not the Opus but rather the stations.
Grit's Avatar Grit 10:39 PM 08-03-2009
Final disposition with Olive customer service - they were great. My only leftover complaint was that at 8:30am, they said they would call me back about the exchange for a 1TB Opus. That call never came. I called them at 3:30pm, and it all worked out. They're shipping me a 1TB server and I'm returning the 500GB one for a full refund. I also got some apologies and thank you for my patience and willingness to work with them.

Woot! All's well. So, from my book, Olive ranks somewhere between an 8-9 for customer service. Thanks Olive!
egoss's Avatar egoss 04:36 AM 08-04-2009
That's good news, Grit. Maybe they've turned a corner in customer appreciation & service. Too late for me, but I'm glad it seems to have all worked out for you.

Ed

Quote:

Final disposition with Olive customer service - they were great. My only leftover complaint was that at 8:30am, they said they would call me back about the exchange for a 1TB Opus. That call never came. I called them at 3:30pm, and it all worked out. They're shipping me a 1TB server and I'm returning the 500GB one for a full refund. I also got some apologies and thank you for my patience and willingness to work with them.

Woot! All's well. So, from my book, Olive ranks somewhere between an 8-9 for customer service. Thanks Olive!

shamus's Avatar shamus 10:02 AM 08-05-2009
Any suggestions????

I have a copy of all my music ripped to flac stored on my computer and an external HD. Is it safe to have every song just in one folder (5k+) or should it be filed in a better way?
egoss's Avatar egoss 07:15 PM 08-05-2009
I keep one complete copy of all my FLAC files on an external drive attached to my Mac - filed by Artist and Album within the Artist folder. That way, if I have multiple copies or versions of a song with the same title, they are separated by Album folder and Artist folder. I hope you understand what I mean. An example: I have "Boom Like That" by Mark Knopfler in 4 different versions. But they each reside in their own album folder within the Mark Knopfler folder. Make any sense? I would think that having them filed only by song title might cause problems when they are copied. Maybe others can chime in & explain how they do it. Oh, I also keep a complete backup from my Olive (Musica, not 4) on a separate drive, backed up by artist - which I don't think you can do on a 4. The Olive backup is only for an extreme emergency, since it's so much easier just to re-import any songs/albums/artists I have a problem with direct from my Mac.

Quote:

Any suggestions????

I have a copy of all my music ripped to flac stored on my computer and an external HD. Is it safe to have every song just in one folder (5k+) or should it be filed in a better way?

shamus's Avatar shamus 07:19 PM 08-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

I keep one complete copy of all my FLAC files on an external drive attached to my Mac - filed by Artist and Album within the Artist folder. That way, if I have multiple copies or versions of a song with the same title, they are separated by Album folder and Artist folder. I hope you understand what I mean. An example: I have "Boom Like That" by Mark Knopfler in 4 different versions. But they each reside in their own album folder within the Mark Knopfler folder. Make any sense? I would think that having them filed only by song title might cause problems when they are copied. Maybe others can chime in & explain how they do it. Oh, I also keep a complete backup from my Olive (Musica, not 4) on a separate drive, backed up by artist - which I don't think you can do on a 4. The Olive backup is only for an extreme emergency, since it's so much easier just to re-import any songs/albums/artists I have a problem with direct from my Mac.

Yes that does make sense... kinda like how itunes files it. Is there some way I can have a program do all that cause I literally have one folder with over 5,000 songs in it?
egoss's Avatar egoss 07:16 PM 08-06-2009
I'm afraid I have no idea about a program that can sort by metadata. Maybe someone with a PC knows of such a program? Otherwise it would be an extremely time-consuming job to sort them yourself, and would require tremendous knowledge on your part to be able to identify every song by album and artist. But, maybe you could do some every day as you have time? I'm not much help, I'm afraid. Can you import them into iTunes as AIFF files? Would iTunes them be able to sort by metadata? Then you could convert them back to FLAC sorted by album/artist.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Ed

Quote:

Yes that does make sense... kinda like how itunes files it. Is there some way I can have a program do all that cause I literally have one folder with over 5,000 songs in it?

First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop