"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #451 of 3122 Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

I've since learned that it didn't go on the iTunes by error, contrary to my earlier post. Still, I haven't been able to make it work with an Opus 4 (it's not supposed to work with a Melody) even though I have all the necessary pieces in place.

No prob... are we still on schedule for a firmware update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3122 Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Liked: 10
I downloaded the following file from Linn Records:

ACD HA 009-2 G.P. Telemann Ouverture Suites
Il Concerto Barocco
Studio Master (192) FLAC (3,305.2MB)

It correctly plays on my computer through Media Monkey showing a high bit rate. When, however, I ported the files to my Opus 4, it appeared to install and stream correctly when called. But there is no sound. The Cambridge DAC is lit up at "96." Bypassing the outboard DAC makes no difference.

Opus support says it should play. Any ideas would be appreciated.

- Andy
post #453 of 3122 Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Andy,

My understanding is that the Opus 4 can't play anything higher than 24/96 material (and then only through the digital out), and you mentioned this file was 24/192 material. Perhaps the DACmagic shows "96" on the display even when the input sampling frequency is "192"? You might check and see if Linn will exchange the files for 24/96 and then try those (from what I understand, they generally offer files in several resolutions); I've played a few 24/96 FLACs through the Opus 4's digital out without a problem.
post #454 of 3122 Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks.

It was my error (and an additional $3) that caused me download @ 192Hz instead of @ 96Hz.

I doubt, however, that I can exchange it at this point, although perhaps I could down-convert.

- Andy

- Andy
post #455 of 3122 Old 10-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently bought an Opus 4. Is there some magic to enable browsing Genres using maestro or the front panel. According to the Opus, I have 52 genres but none are visible when selecting Jazz, etc.

Thanks,
Tom
post #456 of 3122 Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

To my frustration, I haven't been able to get the iMaestro app to work on my iPod. Yes, I downloaded it and yes, I have an icon for it on the iPod ... but tapping that icon just gets me a black screen for about 5 seconds, then it returns to the home screen. When I try to download software updates on my Opus, it tells me I have the most recent software updates. Where am I going wrong? Based on the "reviews" of the iMaestro app you can read at the download site, SOMEBODY is getting it to work (more or less effectively, depending on which reviews you read there).
post #457 of 3122 Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInLoganSquare View Post

To my frustration, I haven't been able to get the iMaestro app to work on my iPod. Yes, I downloaded it and yes, I have an icon for it on the iPod ... but tapping that icon just gets me a black screen for about 5 seconds, then it returns to the home screen. When I try to download software updates on my Opus, it tells me I have the most recent software updates. Where am I going wrong? Based on the "reviews" of the iMaestro app you can read at the download site, SOMEBODY is getting it to work (more or less effectively, depending on which reviews you read there).

Can you access the Opus via your PC/Browser/Maestro?

A couple things I would try if you haven't tried already...

Do a reset on the iPod.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtouch/troubleshooting/

De-install and re-install the app in iTunes and on the iPod

Manually set your IP on the Opus rather than using DHCP.

Reboot the Opus (hold the power button down until it boots)
post #458 of 3122 Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInLoganSquare View Post

There is a new iPod 3.1.2 software update, so you should try that as well
post #459 of 3122 Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM

As I understand it, for the Olive iPod app to work properly, you need to add a dedicated tag to your IP address, the same way as you now need to add one in accessing your Opus 4 or Melody from a Web browser. Unfortunately, as matters stand, you can't add the tag (:8163) manually from the iPod. So a software upgrade is required before this procedure can work; hopefully, that will be coming along soon.

- Andy
post #460 of 3122 Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very Soon...
post #461 of 3122 Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

As I understand it, for the Olive iPod app to work properly, you need to add a dedicated tag to your IP address, the same way as you now need to add one in accessing your Opus 4 or Melody from a Web browser. Unfortunately, as matters stand, you can't add the tag (:8163) manually from the iPod. So a software upgrade is required before this procedure can work; hopefully, that will be coming along soon.

I can't explain why it is working for some and not others. I spent a great deal of time using iMaestro last night with my Opus, and didn't have any issues. My Opus is wired, and I have manually assigned an IP address to the unit.

One thing that I would like to see addressed is if when you exit the iMaestro app to do something else on the iPod while the Opus was playing (like check email), and return to the iMaestro app, if you could somehow return to the album listing from the play screen rather than having to search or find the album again. Right now when you get out of the iMaestro app, and then go back in and hit "player," you see the song, but the back menu (arrow in upper left corner) takes you to the "Artist" main screen. If you don't get out of the app and return, the back button on the player screen takes you back to the album listing. I think part of the problem is that the iPod doesn't multitask, so the iMaestro app loses it's settings (or place) when you exit the app.

Landscape mode for the screen would be nice as well.
post #462 of 3122 Old 10-15-2009, 07:18 PM

Since I know there were some comments in either this thread or an earlier thread about Olive's customer service (especially about returns), I'd just like to share that my experience with returning the unit has thus far been very good. They didn't give me any guff about returning the unit, promptly emailed me a form to fill out, which I sent back, and got the RMA number within 30 minutes. All in all, a pretty painless procedure.
post #463 of 3122 Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

Very Soon...

How about a hint what it does Z????
post #464 of 3122 Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

How about a hint what it does Z????

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Look for it next week...
post #465 of 3122 Old 10-17-2009, 02:09 PM

I have a question that I have also posted to the older Olive Forum, but maybe one of you fine folks have an answer. I loaded 2 brand new CDs into my wife's Symphony this morning. These CDs just came out, and are most certainly not in the installed Olive Database. The Symphony is not connected to the internet or my home network. BUT, both CDs were recognized - Title, Artist and Songs - by the Symphony. How does that work? Usually I get the generic date & time info. Could newer CDs have embedded track & title info that the Symphony can recognize? It was a shock to see them come up, and a relief that I didn't have to enter them manually. Anyone with a theory? Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks, Ed

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #466 of 3122 Old 10-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

I can't explain why it is working for some and not others. I spent a great deal of time using iMaestro last night with my Opus, and didn't have any issues. My Opus is wired, and I have manually assigned an IP address to the unit.

One thing that I would like to see addressed is if when you exit the iMaestro app to do something else on the iPod while the Opus was playing (like check email), and return to the iMaestro app, if you could somehow return to the album listing from the play screen rather than having to search or find the album again. Right now when you get out of the iMaestro app, and then go back in and hit "player," you see the song, but the back menu (arrow in upper left corner) takes you to the "Artist" main screen. If you don't get out of the app and return, the back button on the player screen takes you back to the album listing. I think part of the problem is that the iPod doesn't multitask, so the iMaestro app loses it's settings (or place) when you exit the app.

Landscape mode for the screen would be nice as well.

It's strange.

Olive support says it's not supposed to work. Perhaps it's not working for me because I've got an iTouch rather than an iPhone.

- Andy
post #467 of 3122 Old 10-18-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's strange.

Olive support says it's not supposed to work. Perhaps it's not working for me because I've got an iTouch rather than an iPhone.

I have a 2nd Gen 32Gb iTouch. Hopefully your problems will be fixed with the software update next week.
post #468 of 3122 Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the tip. The Olive used to work very well over a computer but not anymore since a recent firmware. I'll test your method out.

Shamus, I've been away from the forum for some time. Which firmware version are you referring to? I'm still on O.4.0.2. which came out in June. If that's the one you're referring to, I can say that I haven't had any issues with it and the Maestro interface on my laptop - at least after I started using Firefox as my browser window for Maestro.

Also, has an upgrade option to the Opus 4 HD version for those of us that bought the original Opus 4 been discussed with Opus? I really like the HDMI functionality they mention.
post #469 of 3122 Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meek View Post

Also, has an upgrade option to the Opus 4 HD version for those of us that bought the original Opus 4 been discussed with Opus? I really like the HDMI functionality they mention.

Officially no, especially since the HD hasn't been formally announced. However, I would bet there will be some sort of trade up offer once things are rolling. We'll just have to wait and see.
post #470 of 3122 Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Z, I sent a quick question in to Opus and the reply was just what you said:

Since the new units have not yet become available, I don't know what the upgrade path will be. If I find out more details, I can let you know.
post #471 of 3122 Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just noticed that the new update O.4.0.3 is there, at last...

I hope to find some of my wishes come true.

Marc
post #472 of 3122 Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Marc

First disappointment. Four cd's that I saved for this rainy day, because they could not be ripped, show the same behavior with the new software.

Marc
post #473 of 3122 Old 10-22-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Marc

Figures they would release it the same day as Windows 7. Obviously trying to steal some of Microsoft's thunder.

I have an unofficial change log, but I'm reluctant to post it until I know all the changes made it into this release, and I'm currently upgrading my PC to Windows 7. There should be a number of bug fixes, and an enhancement for the iPod crowd.
post #474 of 3122 Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

We're pleased to announce the following improvements to the Opus and Melody software:

Faster navigation and touchscreen performance. Especially with larger music libraries, you will see significant improvement in both speed and consistency of touchscreen response, scrolling and screen loads.
Redesigned SEARCH to deliver better and faster results
Access to music on your Opus from iTunes
Import music to your Opus from a Mac (previously PC only)
Shuffle all tracks on your Opus or Melody by pushing the PLAY button after selecting ALL TRACKS
Set your Opus or Melody to these additional languages: Chinese, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Russian or Swedish
post #475 of 3122 Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Just installed new software update. Interested in utilizing the ability to shuffle all tracks, but can't locate the referenced "ALL TRACKS" option on Maestro. Hope someone can help. Thanks
post #476 of 3122 Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

I thought you could find All tracks on the Opus, but that seemed wrong. Maybe Olive knows what they mean.

Marc
post #477 of 3122 Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 AM

Hi gang - If Olive ever gets the shuffle feature sorted out, I might be interested in a 4 after all. Please keep us(me) informed of your progress, can you shuffle by All Songs, Artist, Genre, etc? That's been my biggest drawback to the 4, since it is the way I use my older units. Now maybe they can work on individual song/album volume correction. LOL

Cheers, Ed

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #478 of 3122 Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Just select Music library than select Tracks. Press the play button and all tracks start to play. Than go to the shuffle/repeat icon on the bottom of the display and make the selection of shuffle.

I'm still having issues with th iphone app. I cant gain recontrol without power cycling the olive. Also when typing too many letters in the search feature on the app, it causes the app to close. Anyone else?

Great job with the speed increase on the Olive!
post #479 of 3122 Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"Access to music on your Opus from iTunes"

Anyone figure this one out?
post #480 of 3122 Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM

I updated to Windows 7 and now have a problem pushing music files from my PC to my Opus 4. Specifically, I used to be able to run (hold down the Windows key and the R key) "\\\\192.168.1.xxx" and open up an input folder to drag and drop the music files, which would then be pushed over my WiFi network to the Opus, end of story. That doesn't work now. I get an error message when I try to run the Opus' URL, don't even see an import folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page