"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #541 of 3122 Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

All the metadata can be edited in Maestro after the music has been either imported or directed ripped on the Opus. Just a pain to fix if you have to edit a lot of tracks.

Thanks. I am planning to get an 4HD and send all of my CDs to Ready to Play for ripping. Hopefully, they'll get the metadata right and I'll only have to deal with this issue in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3122 Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Judging by Olive's site, it looks like the Opus 4 HD TV interface is pretty much a large version of the front display; I was hoping for something a bit more but I'll guess we'll see how it evolves...
post #543 of 3122 Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Thanks for the offer.
I never phone them, I always use the contact form on the site.
I already complained about this, and they answered there was a new manual that says its supports FAT32 only. In every other/older manual it metions also EXT2 and EXT3. So, it seems they abandoned that, and it makes me furious. I informed them about my feeelings and they informed the development team. They always do, and that is also the last thing you hear from them.
Nice if you ask them too, they might consider it more important.

I just want it BACK.
It WAS there, but I don't remember the steps exactly. Do I have to make a map or so?

Marc

Might I ask, but why is this so important? I think most people are going to have to dedicate a hard drive for the backup, and from what I gather, the backup and metadata isn't too usable to anything except the Olive unit (I wouldn't know--I do all my ripping and storage on a NAS, then transfer it over to the Olive, so I don't need to back it up). So what does it matter what file system it's in?
post #544 of 3122 Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't recall experiencing that issue...

Try a disc with multiple albums now. It must of happened in a recent firmware.
post #545 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 11:42 AM

My current CD player is connected to two amps that sit on top of one anotherin a cabinet (one amp for the indoor speakers and one amp for two sets of outdoor speakers). Will the Opus 4HD allow me to connect the analog outs to one amp and a digital out to the other amp (by way of a stand alone DAC) and simulaneously play music (albeit the same music) through both amps? Thanks.
post #546 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Fonebone View Post

My current CD player is connected to two amps that sit on top of one anotherin a cabinet (one amp for the indoor speakers and one amp for two sets of outdoor speakers). Will the Opus 4HD allow me to connect the analog outs to one amp and a digital out to the other amp (by way of a stand alone DAC) and simulaneously play music (albeit the same music) through both amps? Thanks.

I don't think anyone has the HD yet, but I can say with a high degree of certainty "yes". I haven't heard of many (any?) players that disable either the digital or analog out when the other is connected, but hopefully someone with a Opus 4 will chime in (I doubt that would change between the 4 and 4HD). The only thing close is that just about every SACD player will disable the digital out when playing the DSD layer of a hybrid SACD, but that's because you can't pass the DSD data stream over SPDIF.
post #547 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottlv View Post

I don't think anyone has the HD yet, but I can say with a high degree of certainty "yes". I haven't heard of many (any?) players that disable either the digital or analog out when the other is connected, but hopefully someone with a Opus 4 will chime in (I doubt that would change between the 4 and 4HD). The only thing close is that just about every SACD player will disable the digital out when playing the DSD layer of a hybrid SACD, but that's because you can't pass the DSD data stream over SPDIF.

Thanks!
post #548 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottlv View Post

I recall that both analog and digital outputs on my Opus 4 are active at all times, but I agree that you might want to run this by Olive directly to be 100% sure since no one has hands-on experience with the HD yet.
post #549 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I recall that both analog and digital outputs on my Opus 4 are active at all times, but I agree that you might want to run this by Olive directly to be 100% sure since no one has hands-on experience with the HD yet.

Thanks. I'll probably call them Monday. There are a few questions I have before going all in, i.e. buying the Opus 4HD and Melody and the equally expensive task of having all of my CDs (and, grudgingly, my wife's) ripped.
post #550 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Hi guys

I had an opus on trail fore 3 weeks and i like the way it does things. But it does not come close to the sound of my cd player an Arcam FMJ 23T. Hope the HD will do a better job on the sound. But i think i have to try the HD before i make my mind up and cough up the money for the opus . And i can all ways ad a dac to my system if i think i need better sound still. Looking forward to hear the first impressions of the HD.
post #551 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hede3 View Post

Hi guys

I had an opus on trail fore 3 weeks and i like the way it does things. But it does not come close to the sound of my cd player an Arcam FMJ 23T. Hope the HD will do a better job on the sound. But i think i have to try the HD before i make my mind up and cough up the money for the opus . And i can all ways ad a dac to my system if i think i need better sound still. Looking forward to hear the first impressions of the HD.

You will not find a hard-drive music server that comes close to the sound of your CD23T. That is, without a doubt, one of the BEST sounding CD players ever made, regardless of price. It pained me greatly to part with mine, but I "settled" for the digital out of the Olive - which is actually quite good - into a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 tubed DAC. It's unbelievably good, but there are times I wish I had the money to have kept the CD23T as well, as it does some things so utterly effortless that I miss it on some CDs. I also have owned the mighty dCS Elgar DAC, upon which the CD23T is based, but for a single-box player I don't know of any that can beat the CD23T.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #552 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks Man. I will try it. Thanks for your reply!
post #553 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 05:07 PM

Hi TD,

The issue isn't really copying from the network onto OPUS import folder. What is really taking too long is to the unit to process the import folder content to OPUS format.

It seems to be a memory intensive process, which slows down everything else; to the point that it's impossible to edit tag information via maestro. The importing process is also quite elusive, there is no log to tell you about rejects, therefore you don't really know how many songs per genre or folder you lost in the process. Lots of room to improvement here. Olive should allow users to plug tools like MP3tag (which is german) to edit/change the metadata instead of maestro.. So much easier.

Thank you for you reply!
post #554 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 05:25 PM

I experienced the same issue; fixed by renaming artist/soloist to "Various" and adding the real artist on the next field (secondary artist or something). If you simply try to fix the album name in maestro, it will give you an error.... really odd.
post #555 of 3122 Old 11-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Is there a way to import playlists? Perhaps someone knows what format OPUS stores a playlist, so we could use a template; similar to M3U format... Is it possible?
post #556 of 3122 Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

You will not find a hard-drive music server that comes close to the sound of your CD23T. That is, without a doubt, one of the BEST sounding CD players ever made, regardless of price. It pained me greatly to part with mine, but I "settled" for the digital out of the Olive - which is actually quite good - into a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 tubed DAC. It's unbelievably good, but there are times I wish I had the money to have kept the CD23T as well, as it does some things so utterly effortless that I miss it on some CDs. I also have owned the mighty dCS Elgar DAC, upon which the CD23T is based, but for a single-box player I don't know of any that can beat the CD23T.

I may want to hold on to the CD23T to i will find a dac that sounds as good as the Arcam. To bad it does not have digital input .
I am almost convinced that i must have an opus .
post #557 of 3122 Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hede3 View Post

I may want to hold on to the CD23T to i will find a dac that sounds as good as the Arcam. To bad it does not have digital input .
I am almost convinced that i must have an opus .

You are not alone in wishing the dCS Ring DAC Arcam CD players had digital inputs!

There is much hope that the Olive Opus 4HD will sound very good as a standalone CD player/Music Server. If Olive implements the well-regarded Burr Brown PCM 1792 with equally revealing circuitry, a first-class power supply and accompanying components, it should sound very good. I'd wait for a few reviews, and maybe hear one for yourself at a demo if possible, before buying the 4HD. If it's not up to high-end standards you could always do what a great many on this Forum do - use the 4 with an outboard DAC. There are a number of well-reviewed and respected DACs that are reasonably priced. We have discussed a few on this Forum, and I'm sure the list is growing.

Please keep us updated with your thoughts a progress in your search. Remember, it's about the MUSIC, not the gear. :-)

Cheers, Ed

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #558 of 3122 Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

...use the 4 with an outboard DAC. There are a number of well-reviewed and respected DACs that are reasonably priced. We have discussed a few on this Forum, and I'm sure the list is growing.

Please keep us updated with your thoughts a progress in your search. Remember, it's about the MUSIC, not the gear. :-)

Cheers, Ed

I'm using a new generation Cambridge Audio DacMagic (around $400) with my Opus 4 (along with a few others), and are very happy with the results. I can't imagine the Opus 4 HD would sound that much better, but that may be a comparison I'll never be able to make.

I really like the idea of the HDMI output, but one thing I was thinking about is how a 500x500 jpg (or lower) album cover art picture might look awful blown up on a large HDTV.
post #559 of 3122 Old 11-22-2009, 01:36 PM

Wenn i returned the opus no.4 to the guy thats import olive here he said that i was welcome to try the HD when its comes out here. And i will do that before i buy it.
I know its all about the music . Thats one of the reasons i want a music server / hard disk player. I think i would listen to more music then i do today. Just don´t want to down on sound quality. So using a outboard DAC may be the solution fore me. But i still want to hear the HD against the CD23T.
I´ll update you when i have the change to hear the HD.
post #560 of 3122 Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Hey all...

I talked to Matt at Olive.

About backing up the new Opus 4, it uses a zipped file.
Different from us older Opus 3 users.

He did infer that copyright laws are involved.

However he did say that if you would be re-loading directly
to the Opus4, everything would be good.

Kurt
post #561 of 3122 Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Does anyone else think it would be a cool feature to be able to pre-select the next song to play on your Olive? I listen to all my music in shuffle mode, and often one song will remind me of another that I would want to hear next. I know I can select the next song by navigating the library, but to play it I have to stop the current selection and then play the new song. And, I know I could create a playlist, but sometimes one song inspires a desire to hear another. It would be _really_ neat if you could "cue up" your next track and have it play when the current selection was finished. And, while I'm dreaming here, wouldn't be nice if there was a "next track" field in the display to let you know what was coming up?

Like I said, just dreaming a bit...

- Robert McCloskey
post #562 of 3122 Old 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnel View Post

Hey all...

I talked to Matt at Olive.

About backing up the new Opus 4, it uses a zipped file.
Different from us older Opus 3 users.

He did infer that copyright laws are involved.

However he did say that if you would be re-loading directly
to the Opus4, everything would be good.

Kurt

You can use 7-zip to look at all of the files, and even transfer them to another machine (if necessary). The issue is the file structure is funky, so unless you are extracting only a few tracks, using it for anything else but a backup for the Opus is pointless.
post #563 of 3122 Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does anyone else think it would be a cool feature to be able to pre-select the next song to play on your Olive? I listen to all my music in shuffle mode, and often one song will remind me of another that I would want to hear next. I know I can select the next song by navigating the library, but to play it I have to stop the current selection and then play the new song. And, I know I could create a playlist, but sometimes one song inspires a desire to hear another. It would be _really_ neat if you could "cue up" your next track and have it play when the current selection was finished. And, while I'm dreaming here, wouldn't be nice if there was a "next track" field in the display to let you know what was coming up?

Like I said, just dreaming a bit...

That would be nice.
post #564 of 3122 Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 PM

A question to you Opus 4 user's,
Is there a way to correct for incorrect album art?
Paste in your own, or do some kind of search?
I have been riping CD's to my new Vortexbox and
find that I have the same problems.
I don't mind fixing small problems here and there
manually,it's really not Olive's fault.
And for the backing up of files goes, I don't
care about doing anything but backing up my
machine.
BUT I would expect a way to correct for the
usual problems that occur when trying to ripp
and tag music files properly.
I am one inch away from ordering the new Opus.
I am sure that Olive is trying to create a good
easy to use player for us that are less interested
in computers. and more about a good listening
experience.
post #565 of 3122 Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM

Liked: 15
Has anyone ordered the 4HD yet? I'd be really interested to hear about the improvements, especially the DACs.

Norm
post #566 of 3122 Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnel View Post

A question to you Opus 4 user's,
Is there a way to correct for incorrect album art?
Paste in your own, or do some kind of search?
I have been riping CD's to my new Vortexbox and
find that I have the same problems.
I don't mind fixing small problems here and there
manually,it's really not Olive's fault.
And for the backing up of files goes, I don't
care about doing anything but backing up my
machine.
BUT I would expect a way to correct for the
usual problems that occur when trying to ripp
and tag music files properly.
I am one inch away from ordering the new Opus.
I am sure that Olive is trying to create a good
easy to use player for us that are less interested
in computers. and more about a good listening
experience.

Yes, you can edit the album artwork, along with all of the other metadata with the Maestro application.
post #567 of 3122 Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 AM

Shamus, I believe this has been happening since day one. At least, on my machine....
post #568 of 3122 Old 11-27-2009, 07:13 AM

If you are using digital output (so you're not using the DACs), what compelling reason is there to upgrade to the HD from the regular?
post #569 of 3122 Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Fighter View Post

If you are using digital output (so you're not using the DACs), what compelling reason is there to upgrade to the HD from the regular?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The HDMI output so you can see the interface on your HD TV?
The Gigabit Ethernet Upgrade?
The 802.11n 54 Mbit/s Wireless upgrade?
2 TB Hard drive standard?
The digital input to connect another source to your system?
The superior Teac optical drive?

But, that's just my impression. And what do I know, I'm still using a Musica! LOL

- Robert McCloskey
post #570 of 3122 Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The HDMI output so you can see the interface on your HD TV?
The Gigabit Ethernet Upgrade?
The 802.11n 54 Mbit/s Wireless upgrade?
2 TB Hard drive standard?
The digital input to connect another source to your system?
The superior Teac optical drive?

But, that's just my impression. And what do I know, I'm still using a Musica! LOL

What he said,
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page