"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
post #31 of 3145 Old 12-20-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exactly. You don't want to use that CD image unless you want to wipe your Opus clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Dave, Z posted a recovery disc (correct me if Im wrong Z). If you use that you'll wipe all your music off the Olive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3145 Old 12-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

Exactly. You don't want to use that CD image unless you want to wipe your Opus clean.

That's what I get for doing things at 1:00 AM. I thought I was familiar with the owner's manual top to bottom.... Guess I'd better go back and see what else I missed.

Oh man, that would have been a truly lovely moment.
post #33 of 3145 Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM

As far as the upgrade goes, once Z got me straight on the process it went smoothly and quickly. I can definitely tell an increase in the speed with regard to Maestro. The CD ripping seems to go faster although that could just be coincidental based on the data encoded on the CDs.

Here's the info off the Olive website regarding the additions, fixes and unresolved issues in the 3.2.2 release:

-------------------------------------------------
Release Notes Opus Nº4 and Melody Nº2
Changes in software version O.3.2.2 and M.3.2.2, released November 26, 2008

New features:

Gapless playback (WAV, FLAC, CD playback)
Speed boost for larger libraries
Volume control and mute status shown on display
CD-in redesign of menu navigation including individual track selection
Menu and playback enhanced with CD number sorting for CD sets (requires user to maintain CD numbers in metadata)
"Greatest Hits" or other identical album titles are separated out in the navigation by album name – if they were the same during import. Such album titles will receive artist name suffix during import from a computer
Release date information is extracted during computer import
Play screen refresh, along with new playlist context menu screen
Spanish and Portuguese language support

Software bug fixes:

Various stability fixes, especially for Maestro
Reduced CD playback drive spin speed
Improved large playlist browse and playback speeds

Remaining known issues:

Melody volume control slow
CD reference database update is not yet enabled
Compatibility with Apple Airport wireless router using combined WPA/WPA2 encryption modes
post #34 of 3145 Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 PM

I've run across a couple of oddities since loading v3.2.2:

01) When playing music from the Opus and ripping at the same time, when the ripped disc is auto-ejected the sound mutes completely for 2-3 seconds.

02) When updating the artwork, I have to select the new image once and go through the upload process twice to get it to update.

Z, shamus, are either of you seeing these same things? FWIW, I wouldn't classify them as anything more than minor nuisances.
post #35 of 3145 Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sorry Dave... I learned long ago to do all my ripping on my PC and wouldnt see those problems.

I did run into a new issue though. While importing a CD with various artist, the the olive seperated every track into a different album using the artists name next to the album. I thought I must of not tagged it right in media monkey so I deleted it and tried again. Same issue. I even attempted to edit it on the olive with no luck! I than discovered the olive is trying to seperate the album as it feels its a "greatest hits" and is using that feature. A simple drag and drop of the albums into one solved the issue in case anyone else runs into it.
post #36 of 3145 Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

1- I haven't tried to rip and play at the same time. I, like Shamus, rip to the PC using EAC, modify the tags in Media Monkey, and then import into the Olive.

2- I just imported several FLAC tracks that did not contain album artwork, and I didn't run into any problems when I updated the image artwork. Are you trying to update a file that already contains artwork, update a file that has no artwork?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meek View Post

I've run across a couple of oddities since loading v3.2.2:

01) When playing music from the Opus and ripping at the same time, when the ripped disc is auto-ejected the sound mutes completely for 2-3 seconds.

02) When updating the artwork, I have to select the new image once and go through the upload process twice to get it to update.

Z, shamus, are either of you seeing these same things? FWIW, I wouldn't classify them as anything more than minor nuisances.

post #37 of 3145 Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM

I took a break from the Opus 4 for a while and today I was working from home and ripping some more CDs via EAC then MM (tag from web to get cover art) then file copy to the import folder. Amazed I remember the routine!

I just updated to the latest software tonight. Thanks for keeping up with the releases.

I want to ask you MM guys a quick question. I have a 16GB Ipod touch and have a collection of MP3 at 320 bitrate. Are you guys maintaining a library of FLAC and MP3 files on your computer and backup drives like me? I would like to know how you deal with the portable players and what format you rip to? Are you converting your FLAC rips to MP3 or another format?

- Gary
post #38 of 3145 Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Are you trying to update a file that already contains artwork, update a file that has no artwork?

The original artwork supplied by Olive's DB just isn't up to par. It's not really something to complain about, it's more of a personal preference. I've been replacing their artwork with higher-quality images. Nothing major - around 300x300 pixels. You can easily see the difference even at the size displayed in MAESTRO.
post #39 of 3145 Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathworks View Post

I took a break from the Opus 4 for a while and today I was working from home and ripping some more CDs via EAC then MM (tag from web to get cover art) then file copy to the import folder. Amazed I remember the routine!

I just updated to the latest software tonight. Thanks for keeping up with the releases.

I want to ask you MM guys a quick question. I have a 16GB Ipod touch and have a collection of MP3 at 320 bitrate. Are you guys maintaining a library of FLAC and MP3 files on your computer and backup drives like me? I would like to know how you deal with the portable players and what format you rip to? Are you converting your FLAC rips to MP3 or another format?

- Gary

I havnt used my ipod in quite sometime but when I do, I will be buying an MP3 player compatible with flac. I will than just have all my music in one format. With the size of these things these days, theres really no reason to use mp3.
post #40 of 3145 Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have an Apple iTouch and it is a bit of a hassle, but I keep all my FLAC files in Media Monkey, and all of my MP3 and M4x (AAC) files in iTunes. I convert my FLAC files to AAC using dbpoweramp (it has a really nice batch file converter). I convert to AAC because I think it has better fidelity at lower bit rates than MP3s. I'm able to fit about 2000 tracks into 10GB using AAC at 128 Kbps, which is fine for iPod listening and the car(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathworks View Post

- Gary

post #41 of 3145 Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, I agree on the quality issue. I'll have to try replacing some art via Maestro when I have a chance to see if I have the same problem.

Quote:

The original artwork supplied by Olive's DB just isn't up to par. It's not really something to complain about, it's more of a personal preference. I've been replacing their artwork with higher-quality images. Nothing major - around 300x300 pixels. You can easily see the difference even at the size displayed in MAESTRO.

post #42 of 3145 Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I havnt used my ipod in quite sometime but when I do, I will be buying an MP3 player compatible with flac. I will than just have all my music in one format. With the size of these things these days, theres really no reason to use mp3.

When you reach a buying decision, please let me know. I could use some buying guidance. I have never owned an iPod or any portable music player because MP3s curdle my senses, but I would be interested in hearing a portable player that handles FLAC files.

Thanks,
Ed

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #43 of 3145 Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You should check out Rockbox - http://www.rockbox.org/

It is open source software that runs on a lot of portable devices (including iPods) and will handle FLAC.

Apple also has a lossless format called ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which runs on iPods, and I'm pretty sure the Opus will handle ALAC files too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

When you reach a buying decision, please let me know. I could use some buying guidance. I have never owned an iPod or any portable music player because MP3s curdle my senses, but I would be interested in hearing a portable player that handles FLAC files.

Thanks,
Ed

post #44 of 3145 Old 12-23-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Apple also has a lossless format called ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which runs on iPods, and I'm pretty sure the Opus will handle ALAC files too.

From the Opus 3 Manual: "Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be played (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC). The OPUS does not play music protected by Digital Rights Management."

From The 4 Manual: ""Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be imported (WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC). The OPUS does not play stored music protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM)."

So, no ALAC format support, I guess.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #45 of 3145 Old 12-23-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It isn't documented, but the Opus 4 will play ALAC files. I know because I did it a while back by accident (encoded in ALAC instead of FLAC) and the tracks played just fine. Just to be sure, I just now ripped a couple of tracks to ALAC and imported them to the Opus 4. They played without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

From the Opus 3 Manual: "Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be played (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, AAC). The OPUS does not play music protected by Digital Rights Management."

From The 4 Manual: ""Note: Only music formats that are supported by your OPUS can be imported (WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC). The OPUS does not play stored music protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM)."

So, no ALAC format support, I guess.

post #46 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:

It isn't documented, but the Opus 4 will play ALAC files. I know because I did it a while back by accident (encoded in ALAC instead of FLAC) and the tracks played just fine. Just to be sure, I just now ripped a couple of tracks to ALAC and imported them to the Opus 4. They played without any issues.

Thanks, Z. That's great info! But, since I have an older Symphony (3S), I don't know if it will help me. :-(
I'll try it this weekend & report what happens.

- Robert McCloskey
post #47 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats interesting... they must be trying to get apple to support them and went ahead and put it in but cant advertise it. I would be a little nervous to encode all my music just in case olive has second thoughts. I also wouldnt keep my music in a format owned by someone (apple, microsoft etc.)

I did look into that rockbox but it didnt support my ipod version.

Ed, heres a list of some devices:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware
post #48 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

While ALAC was developed by Apple, it is my understanding an open source decoder for ALAC is available. However, encoding remains closed source (proprietary). So there is no reason why Olive would pull support for ALAC playback out of the Opus 4 because they don't need Apple's permission to support the playback of ALAC files.

And while I'm on the subject, AAC is not proprietary to Apple. No licenses or payments are required to be able to stream or distribute content in AAC format. There are lots of other rippers/players (some open source) that will encode and decode AAC files. Apple, for whatever reason, decided to make AAC the default file type for the iPod.

Quote:

Thats interesting... they must be trying to get apple to support them and went ahead and put it in but cant advertise it. I would be a little nervous to encode all my music just in case olive has second thoughts. I also wouldnt keep my music in a format owned by someone (apple, microsoft etc.)

I did look into that rockbox but it didnt support my ipod version.

Ed, heres a list of some devices:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

post #49 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi,

I'm rather, no, very new here. What the Olive Opus 4 promises, has drawn my attention. In the past weeks I have read almost every message about the Opus products in this forum. I can't remember that I stumbled upon a peculiar feature that especially made me curious, i.e. the fact that the Opus has special provisions for categorizing Classical music. Is this true? What is among these categories? Composer, soloist(s), orchestra, performers, solo instruments?
What can I expect?

Any clarification about this subject is most welcome.
In the past I have ripped almost 1200 cd's and I have ended up with no information at all about the classical merites of my music. I don't want hat happen again.

Thanks,

Marc
post #50 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I suggest you give this a read:

http://www.olive.us/downloads/Classical-Fact_Sheet.pdf

Olive has tweaked the information fields since this was first published, so they are a little different now, but the functions are still the same.

While you will still need to manually add a lot of info that isn't typically available CD databases, the unit does have enough fields to go into classical music information overload if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Hi,

I'm rather, no, very new here. What the Olive Opus 4 promises, has drawn my attention. In the past weeks I have read almost every message about the Opus products in this forum. I can't remember that I stumbled upon a peculiar feature that especially made me curious, i.e. the fact that the Opus has special provisions for categorizing Classical music. Is this true? What is among these categories? Composer, soloist(s), orchestra, performers, solo instruments?
What can I expect?

Any clarification about this subject is most welcome.
In the past I have ripped almost 1200 cd's and I have ended up with no information at all about the classical merites of my music. I don't want hat happen again.

Thanks,

Marc

post #51 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I agree on the quality issue. I'll have to try replacing some art via Maestro when I have a chance to see if I have the same problem.

Quote:

I finally wound up doing a power down and restart of the Opus. That appears to have resolved the glitch.
post #52 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 AM

I am also new here. Have had the opus 4 for a few weeks. I have perhaps 2000 classical cd's. So far I have ripped 370 cd's. For classical albums, you have to enter a lot of info to make it work. Frequently when you categorize a cd to classical, it will show up as an unknown work since the opus may not pick up the composer or work title. In addition, most of the time, the correct album artwork needs to be uploaded.
Hopefully with updates from olive, one will be able to search more quickly for a particular cd in album artwork or classical composer--- especially with a very large collection. JK92147
post #53 of 3145 Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome new members!
post #54 of 3145 Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk92147 View Post

I am also new here. Have had the opus 4 for a few weeks. I have perhaps 2000 classical cd's. So far I have ripped 370 cd's. For classical albums, you have to enter a lot of info to make it work. Frequently when you categorize a cd to classical, it will show up as an unknown work since the opus may not pick up the composer or work title. In addition, most of the time, the correct album artwork needs to be uploaded.
Hopefully with updates from olive, one will be able to search more quickly for a particular cd in album artwork or classical composer--- especially with a very large collection. JK92147

Hi, thank you for this honest reply. I was hoping for some better experience. The Opus is one of only a few offers with support for classical music. The only other one being the Naim hdx, as far as i have understood. But that one is also extremely expensive, and it's capacity is a mere 600 cd's.
Now, with your experience, would you still recommend this Opus 4 for classical music, or should i better wait for better times?

Marc
post #55 of 3145 Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Hi, thank you for this honest reply. I was hoping for some better experience. The Opus is one of only a few offers with support for classical music. The only other one being the Naim hdx, as far as i have understood. But that one is also extremely expensive, and it's capacity is a mere 600 cd's.
Now, with your experience, would you still recommend this Opus 4 for classical music, or should i better wait for better times?

Marc

FWIW, I think the Opus is a good, cost-effective solution. You have to look at what's available as source information for classical music. I'm not a guru on classical music by any means, so my following questions may all have a resounding YES answer.

Is there an online database available for your low-or-no-cost use? Is it keyed in some fashion to the CD you are loading, ie. UPC (bar code)? Is it comprehensive? Is it comprehensive enough for you? Is it accurate - which isn't the same thing? What about artwork? Is there a system like an Opus that is set up to retrieve more information than you can through Olive? If you can answer yes to all of these then maybe you should consider waiting, but from what I've read (again, this isn't conclusive) there just isn't anything else out there that meets the criteria. Well, maybe the Sooloos, but we were talking about cost effective, right?
post #56 of 3145 Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Haven't tried it yet, but sounds good!

Release Notes Opus Nº4 and Melody Nº2

Changes in software version O.3.2.3 and M.3.2.3, released December 24, 2008

New features:

* Speed scrolling of artist, album and track lists
* Maestro page-scrolling and integrated alphabet-jump

Software bug fixes:

* Various stability fixes, especially for Maestro

Remaining known issues

* Melody volume control slow
* CD reference database update is not yet enabled
* Compatibility with Apple Airport wireless router using combined WPA/WPA2 encryption modes
post #57 of 3145 Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmmm....
Just tried it and it appears "speed scrolling" is only available in Maestro (as far as I can tell) and does not seem to be an advantage over mouse scrolling.

We need scrolling on the display, Maestro was fine IMO.
post #58 of 3145 Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM

I've been one of those with volume problems on my Opus 4 and yet was quite happy with the sound from the onboard Dac and could never really see the need to purchase an outboard unit. I'd already modded my Shanling CD-100 with Burr Brown op amps, a jitter amp kit and upgraded audio caps so I felt it was doing as good as it ever would and was always pleased with the sound. I'm running it through an LS-25 Mk2, swap back and forth between an AR D-115, Mac 275 and HK McShane modded Citation 2 into a set of Cornwalls.
Then I happened to see an original DacMagic 1 on an auction from England. It stated that it was a 220 volt unit and that it worked fine except for the CD input....the other 2 inputs worked OK.
I won it for a very reasonable price and it only took a week to get it. The first thing I did was to open it up to see it if could be changed over to 110 volts or if I'd need a step up transformer.... East Squeezy...one wire change to convert to 110. Then I spotted a solder joint on the inputs that apparantly was missed in production. It was coming directly from the CD coax input. 5 minutes later I was done soldering and the unit was functioning properly with all inputs.
Today I hooked it up to my Shanling first, not expecting much of a change at all since the Shandling has already been pretty heavily modded, including the Western Electric output tubes. All I can say is WOW! My living room almost doubled in size and the instrumentation and vocals can now be pinpointed to within inches instead of feet...soundwise. The tonal quality is phenominal and makes even the modded Shanling sound like a KMart blue light special. I was astonished. I realize that the DacMagic 2 and 3 are supposed to be much better than the original model one, but I cannot imagine having that much more improvement in sound.
I then hooked up the Opus to it......same thing exactly.....wide open, but very natural sound and it puts the stock Olive Dac to shame. Admittedly, I still have the volume problem since the Dac doesn't have an adjustable volume, but I do love having the three separate inputs so that I can use my Polk Sirius for one input, the Opus for another and the Shanling for the third. I also love the fact that it has balanced outputs. Every other piece of gear I have has them except the Shanling, The Polk and the Olive. I'm not using the Balanced outs on the DacMagic yet since I don't have the Mac275 in line, but perhaps it might help with the volume issue.
In any case, I'm thrilled and can only imagine what the DacMagic 2 owners are enjoying.... As for me....I'm quite satisfied with this unit for only having paid $150 for it. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can experiment a little more with it.
post #59 of 3145 Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great Story... and you have a great collection of equipment there. What vintage are your Klipsch Cornwalls?

I've noticed that my "new" Dacmagic has further opened up as it has broken in. It seems the Opus 4 is a great platform for those who want to play with the digital out and external DACs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxbill View Post

I've been one of those with volume problems on my Opus 4 and yet was quite happy with the sound from the onboard Dac and could never really see the need to purchase an outboard unit. I'd already modded my Shanling CD-100 with Burr Brown op amps, a jitter amp kit and upgraded audio caps so I felt it was doing as good as it ever would and was always pleased with the sound. I'm running it through an LS-25 Mk2, swap back and forth between an AR D-115, Mac 275 and HK McShane modded Citation 2 into a set of Cornwalls.
Then I happened to see an original DacMagic 1 on an auction from England. It stated that it was a 220 volt unit and that it worked fine except for the CD input....the other 2 inputs worked OK.
I won it for a very reasonable price and it only took a week to get it. The first thing I did was to open it up to see it if could be changed over to 110 volts or if I'd need a step up transformer.... East Squeezy...one wire change to convert to 110. Then I spotted a solder joint on the inputs that apparantly was missed in production. It was coming directly from the CD coax input. 5 minutes later I was done soldering and the unit was functioning properly with all inputs.
Today I hooked it up to my Shanling first, not expecting much of a change at all since the Shandling has already been pretty heavily modded, including the Western Electric output tubes. All I can say is WOW! My living room almost doubled in size and the instrumentation and vocals can now be pinpointed to within inches instead of feet...soundwise. The tonal quality is phenominal and makes even the modded Shanling sound like a KMart blue light special. I was astonished. I realize that the DacMagic 2 and 3 are supposed to be much better than the original model one, but I cannot imagine having that much more improvement in sound.
I then hooked up the Opus to it......same thing exactly.....wide open, but very natural sound and it puts the stock Olive Dac to shame. Admittedly, I still have the volume problem since the Dac doesn't have an adjustable volume, but I do love having the three separate inputs so that I can use my Polk Sirius for one input, the Opus for another and the Shanling for the third. I also love the fact that it has balanced outputs. Every other piece of gear I have has them except the Shanling, The Polk and the Olive. I'm not using the Balanced outs on the DacMagic yet since I don't have the Mac275 in line, but perhaps it might help with the volume issue.
In any case, I'm thrilled and can only imagine what the DacMagic 2 owners are enjoying.... As for me....I'm quite satisfied with this unit for only having paid $150 for it. I can't wait until tomorrow when I can experiment a little more with it.

post #60 of 3145 Old 12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FWIW, I think the Opus is a good, cost-effective solution. You have to look at what's available as source information for classical music. I'm not a guru on classical music by any means, so my following questions may all have a resounding YES answer.

Is there an online database available for your low-or-no-cost use? Is it keyed in some fashion to the CD you are loading, ie. UPC (bar code)? Is it comprehensive? Is it comprehensive enough for you? Is it accurate - which isn't the same thing? What about artwork? Is there a system like an Opus that is set up to retrieve more information than you can through Olive? If you can answer yes to all of these then maybe you should consider waiting, but from what I've read (again, this isn't conclusive) there just isn't anything else out there that meets the criteria. Well, maybe the Sooloos, but we were talking about cost effective, right?

I'm also no guru on classical music, at least not regarding all these questions. Here in Holland I have to wait a bit for the Opus to come my way, as we have only one shop that imports it, and they still don't have it.

But I have taken the plunge, and I really hope it will be my last buy after upgrading my amplifier to a LFD Integrated Zero MK-III LE, and my speakers to Phonar Veritas P5 EdMa's, that you probably have never heard (of) in the USA.
I also bought a Cambridge DacMagic as ice on the cake, and now I wait...

In the mean time I listen to my rips on my Ziova CS 510, that really does a neat job with FLAC files. But I'm very eager to hear the first tones from the Opus 4.

Marc
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page