"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #721 of 3104 Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Here a better view on the DAC chip in the Olive Opus 4.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3104 Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That would be a C-Media CMI8768 (I got a good look at it before you reduced the picture size).

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDet...o=28&PSerno=33

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data...1_CMIsound.jpg

According to the specs, it supports high fidelity 96K/24bit playback and 48K/16bit recording. I'm far from an engineer, so I'm not sure where the issue is with the Opus 4 playing 96K/24bit via the analog out.
post #723 of 3104 Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

That would be a C-Media CMI8768 (I got a good look at it before you reduced the picture size).

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDet...o=28&PSerno=33

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data...1_CMIsound.jpg

According to the specs, it supports high fidelity 96K/24bit playback and 48K/16bit recording. I'm far from an engineer, so I'm not sure where the issue is with the Opus 4 playing 96K/24bit via the analog out.

I assume my Melody has the same chip.

According to C-Media's web site, this is a fully integrated PCI sound card, meaning that it includes not only a DAC, but an ADC and analogue amplification circuitry. The specifications mention a "transmitter" capable of handling up to 96 khz sampling rates with 16 bit resolution.

The specs seem to be one step up from a basic PC sound card, but at $12.99 (at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/C-Media-CMI876.../dp/B000R8YNQW or Best Buy), it hardly qualifies as "high end".

M.G.
post #724 of 3104 Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Here a new picture, more useful I hope

post #725 of 3104 Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Hear a new picture, more useful i hope

Must be a low-noise chip, I could not hear the picture.
However, it clearly confirm zbrett's guess.

M.G.
post #726 of 3104 Old 02-26-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGINOTE View Post

Must be a low-noise chip, I could not hear the picture.
However, it clearly confirm zbrett's guess.
M.G.

And clearly confirms your statement about the "High-end" nature of the chip. :-)

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #727 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

I've hitted the "SWITCH DISPLAY" button on the configuration menu of my Opus 4 and now the front LCD is black. How can i restore it? No mention on inlcuded manual.
Please, advise.
post #728 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post

I've hitted the "SWITCH DISPLAY" button on the configuration menu of my Opus 4 and now the front LCD is black. How can i restore it? No mention on inlcuded manual.
Please, advise.

press the left and right arrow buttons to right of display at the same time
post #729 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply.
Another question to you owners: i've tried to burn a playlist on a cd-r but after something like 4 hours of waiting i gave up and restarted the Olive. The cd was still blank. I have used a standard Verbatim cd-r.
Do i have to use some special cd-r (as the "audio" cd-rs) or am i missing something?
Thanks again.
post #730 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.
Another question to you owners: i've tried to burn a playlist on a cd-r but after something like 4 hours of waiting i gave up and restarted the Olive. The cd was still blank. I have used a standard Verbatim cd-r.
Do i have to use some special cd-r (as the "audio" cd-rs) or am i missing something?
Thanks again.

I don't think you are missing anything. I would reboot the unit (hold the power button down until the unit starts back up), and try it again. Also make sure you have the latest software installed.
post #731 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

So, you confirm that a "standard" cd-r will do, right?
How much time does it takes to write a cd out of a playlist?
post #732 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

in the Jan/ Feb 2010 issue of Widescreen Review is a new equipment article on the Thiel SCS4D IP based speakers linked to an Olive 4HD by ethernet and an Olive 4+ server specially modified for digital HD multi room music streaming and a 4 port ethernet switch

additionally there is a 200 watt class D amp

provides for synchronized sound from the 4HD to up to 4 pairs of Thiel speakers

retail $7900.00 for the package in the USA
post #733 of 3104 Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, you confirm that a "standard" cd-r will do, right?
How much time does it takes to write a cd out of a playlist?

I have to admit that I haven't tried it in a while, but it certainlh didn't take any more than the time it takes to burn a cd on a computer. I don't know, 10-15 minutes?
post #734 of 3104 Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM

After upgrading to 4.1.1, Maestro is perfoming very erratic.
When selecting Artists, albums are not presented, the same happens with Genre and artwork - this one not even returns back...

The touchscreen search fails all the time showing "not found" for albums or artists that are there, I can find them in Maestro.

The iMaestro for IPOD takes now a long time to connect and when connects it boots out when album option is selected.

Does anyone experienced these issues?

Is there a way to return back to 4.0.3 without wipping out everything?

For the seniors folks in the forum and dealing with Olive, is this the norm for Olive to realease version updates?
post #735 of 3104 Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM

It’s amazing how blase the Olive company is about its products’ shortcomings: a dysfunctional remote control; a quirky iphone app; a really goofy Maestro GUI; inability to decode the high-resolution files they claim is the capability of the Olive 4HD--and the new failures reported by Kanuk and others above. They do, however, continue to tout features that the Olive hardware cannot deliver, answering customer’s complaints with “we’re working on it, and will correct the malfunction...uh...eventually.”

Having bought their machine in good faith, I find that Olive is protected by selling direct rather than in retail outlets. None of their products would survive scrutiny by customers in retail establishments. Nor would their machines survive scrutiny by a real reviewer. There is not one single review on the internet where the reviewer has actually tested and reported on the workings --or failure--of advertised features in recent Olive products. Reading a manufacturer’s claims and paraphrasing them is not a review.

Reading backward through customer’s complaints posted on various sites, I see that that Olive products often suffer a miscarriage: they fix one thing and another one or two or three defects turn up. As far as I see it’s shoddy software and lack of programming talent that plagues Olive. I saw an ad last year on a German site looking for “interns” to work on programming for what seemed to be the Olive company. Pay was $500 a month. We get what they pay for.

Beyond its rip and store ability with standard CDs, the Olive offers little of the advertised convenience and ease that seduced me into forwarding my $2000. Having learned my lesson, I am keeping the machine and making use of what it CAN do, hoping for the promised corrections within the millennium. My SACD player, pre-amp, DAC, amplifiers, and speakers function as advertised. That, Mr. Olive and crew, is the path to successful sales. --gf
post #736 of 3104 Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuk View Post

Olive still has 4.0.3 up as a download software/installation

I would try backing up and trying to load the software via CD or USB.

As a last resort start with the restore CD, update to 4.03, and restore the backup.

I haven't had the problems you describe, although when backing up I no longer get the CD burning icon to tell me that the backup is going forward.
post #737 of 3104 Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unfortunately database programming is a funny thing. You fix one thing, and you stand the chance of breaking something else. You can test, test test, but someone will always use the software in a way that was never considered in testing. I know because I've done it, and perhaps that make me a bit more sympathetic.

If you find a glitch, document it in a way that it can be reproduced, and send it off to Olive support. I know we shouldn't have to take the time to test the product we paid for, but together we can help make it a better product for everyone. The alternative is Olive goes away, and we all end up with unsupported hardware and no further software development.

On that note, please continue to post your ideas for improvement here. I know that the ideas, and problems, do get back to Olive.
post #738 of 3104 Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

Olive still has 4.0.3 up as a download software/installation

I would try backing up and trying to load the software via CD or USB.

As a last resort start with the restore CD, update to 4.03, and restore the backup.

I haven't had the problems you describe, although when backing up I no longer get the CD burning icon to tell me that the backup is going forward.

I'm not experiencing any of those problems either. Another thing you might try is redoing the update? Maybe something didn't go right the first time?
post #739 of 3104 Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:

. I know we shouldn't have to take the time to test the product we paid for, but together we can help make it a better product for everyone. The alternative is Olive goes away, and we all end up with unsupported hardware and no further software development.

Very generous of you. But isn't that a form of blackmail on Olive's part? (and a way of saving itself the trouble and expense of beta testing?)...

M.G.
post #740 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuk View Post

After upgrading to 4.1.1, Maestro is perfoming very erratic.
When selecting Artists, albums are not presented, the same happens with Genre and artwork - this one not even returns back...

The touchscreen search fails all the time showing "not found" for albums or artists that are there, I can find them in Maestro.

The iMaestro for IPOD takes now a long time to connect and when connects it boots out when album option is selected.

Does anyone experienced these issues?

For the seniors folks in the forum and dealing with Olive, is this the norm for Olive to realease version updates?

None of the problems you report here are mine. The search function works both in Maestro and on the screen, at least if you search from the beginning of the title, name etc. Searching for a word in the middle fails.
From artists and genres I can see all the albums, no problem at all.

The update to this version made me very happy, I must say. Now it can store all my classical cd's even if i happen to have more than 64 works per composer. Now i can search at least in a part of the information.

Not all is perfect of course. It still has trouble with reading some cd's with foreign (extended) characters, it always chooses the wrong artwork, sometimes something is left in maestro that can't be deleted, etc. The remote is bulky and silver and awkward.
But all in all I love the Olive 4.

I guess your database is corrupt.

Marc
post #741 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I checked Maestro last night and it works fine for me with Olive HD 4.1.1: my PC runs Win 7 64 bit

I have found Olive customer support very responsive if you have a problem
post #742 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

None of the problems you report here are mine. The search function works both in Maestro and on the screen, at least if you search from the beginning of the title, name etc. Searching for a word in the middle fails.
From artists and genres I can see all the albums, no problem at all.

The update to this version made me very happy, I must say. Now it can store all my classical cd's even if i happen to have more than 64 works per composer. Now i can search at least in a part of the information.

Not all is perfect of course. It still has trouble with reading some cd's with foreign (extended) characters, it always chooses the wrong artwork, sometimes something is left in maestro that can't be deleted, etc. The remote is bulky and silver and awkward.
But all in all I love the Olive 4.

I guess your database is corrupt.

Marc

I have some of the same problems listed above with the Olive since upgrading to the new software. Fortunately, I've found a work around that works well. It also refuses the eject a CD after it's copied to the drive.

My new Sony STR-DA5500ES is Ethernet-capable. The server input finds the Olive database, including the art, and displays it, fully sorted, on my 47" Planar monitor, via the Sony remote or a Logitech Harmony 0.

- Andy
post #743 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

It also refuses the eject a CD after it's copied to the drive.

I see that too since the upgrade
post #744 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Time for me to bow out of this discussion. Too many people who have convinced themselves that lead is gold. Farewell alchemists.
post #745 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I see that too since the upgrade

Never had that. Weird. Is it just my luck?

Marc
post #746 of 3104 Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomusic View Post

Reading backward through customer's complaints posted on various sites, I see that that Olive products often suffer a miscarriage: they fix one thing and another one or two or three defects turn up. As far as I see it's shoddy software and lack of programming talent that plagues Olive. I saw an ad last year on a German site looking for interns to work on programming for what seemed to be the Olive company. Pay was $500 a month. We get what they pay for.

Olive just needs to be patient. There will very soon be a surplus of out-of-work- Toyota software engineers and programmers. They can hire as many as they need. And they'll be available dirt cheap. Of course, we'll all have to be ready for our data streams to suddenly accelerate out of control.......

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #747 of 3104 Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomusic View Post

Time for me to bow out of this discussion. Too many people who have convinced themselves that lead is gold. Farewell alchemists.

Whatever. My mindset is that nothing is perfect, especially when it comes to technology products. My Denon receiver has gone through as least half a dozen firmware upgrades, and it still isn't 100%. My Sony TV has gone through one firmware upgrade, and it won't play nice via HDMI with the Denon (well documented problem). My Panasonic Blu-Ray has gone through several updates. I'm running Windows 7 on all my PCs, and while it is the most stable Windows to date, I still get the occasional crash or glitch. These products are from really big companies with lots of resources and they all continue to have issues, so why would one expect absolute perfection from Olive?
post #748 of 3104 Old 03-14-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Whatever.

Z, I agree. I've always been intrigued by people on forums who announce their departure. Since forums are predominantly made up of like-thinking individuals, do these people actually think anyone still present will care that they left?

I certainly have no love for Olive as a company, but I do like my Olive music server. I am only disappointed that Olive don't realize how close they are to a truly outstanding product, and seem to shoot themselves in the foot from time to time. Obviously there are many Olive owners who don't frequent this or any other forum, and I only hope they enjoy their product as much as I do mine. So, I am officially announcing that I am going to remain on this forum to keep up with what's happening, and maybe pick up a tip or two along the way. Let the rejoicing begin!

- Robert McCloskey
post #749 of 3104 Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
A new iphone app called Air Video allows you to stream movies from your pc to your iphone over wifi and 3g. Had me thinking if something like this would be possible with my music on the Olive?
post #750 of 3104 Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have a problem: i can't upload files from my pc to the olive, both with Vista and XP. I open the dialog box and enter the olive ip address as indicated on the manual, but i have an error message and can't see the Olive to upload the files. I've already tried to disable the firewall. I have no issue at all to access the Maestro page from the browser.
Any suggestion?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page