"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 3124 Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Thank you.... I do enjoy my system although these 63 year old ears miss a lot of good sound!
My Cornwalls are the early models with the motor run caps for the crossovers. I don't know if the actual drivers are any different than newer models, but after hearing mine right next to newer ones I can attest to the fact that the motor cap crossovers are far superior to the newer ones. Many of my forum friends on the Citation group and Golden Tube forums have Cornwalls and have switched over from the newer crossovers to the oil cap units....or built their own using motor run caps and are quite impressed with the difference in sound. I also have a set of Altec Model 19s that I've modded the crossovers on. I got the same improvement with them doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3124 Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM
gfd

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Logitech Squeezebox Boom to put in my basement so that my kids could listen to streamed music wirelessly either from my PC or potentially from the Opus 4. It was very easy to set up and configure and it is nicely streaming music from my PC (with surprisingly good sound), but I have had less success streaming from the Opus.

The software on the PC is called SqueezeCenter (a web app) and is required for the device to be able to connect to the networked PC. It can be easily populated with the PC's music library and it is this library that streams to the device.

My Opus 4 is a UPnP client on my PC and is therefore recognized as a media server. Once I enabled the UPnP Client in the SqueezeCenter Advanced Settings and restarted it, SqueezeCenter recognized the Opus as well as all of its music and playlists. Much like Maestro, in SqueezeCenter you can control which songs are playing on the Boom so in this way you can play songs from the Opus on the Boom.

Unfortunately, the Boom itself cannot see the songs and playlists even though the Opus can be selected as a music source. If you select Opus Albums from the Boom, for example, instead of getting a list of albums it just says "URL" so it seems to be unable to get the list from SqueezeCenter. I haven't figured out how to work around this yet and it may just be a bug. I've done some searching in the Boom forums without success, but I'll keep looking.

I failed making this long story short and I realize it may not interest many of you, but I just thought I'd share this in case anyone was thinking of doing something similar. I know that Olive sells a device that streams music from the Opus but it is more expensive and must be connected to another sound system to work. It would be overkill for my purposes.

Thanks for reading,
Gerry
post #63 of 3124 Old 01-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
To make things work, the sqeeuzecenter server software should run on your Opus. As the Opus is a Linux device, it should be possible to make this happen, but, as I currently have no Opus at hand, I don't know which steps will lead to success.
I have an Asus WL-700gE NAS for which this is possible.

But I doubt that running both Opus native software alongside Squeezecenter is such a good idea...

Marc
post #64 of 3124 Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
gfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

But I doubt that running bothe Opus native software alongside Squeezecenter is such a good idea...

Thanks, Marc. Yeah, I'm not desperate enough with this to attempt to install squeezecenter on the Opus. I don't think anyone has figured out yet how to access the OS on the Opus 4 anyway.

Since squeezecenter has no problem seeing all of the music on the Opus via UPnP I'm not sure this would make a difference. It's the Boom itself that seems to have the problem seeing what SqueezeCenter can already see. I've read about some users complaining about the Boom's limited UPnP support. Maybe it will be fixed with a firmware update at some point.
post #65 of 3124 Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Not to disrupt an ongoing thread, but we seem to be bouncing around anyway so I hope no one minds.
I connected my Shanling, my Opus and my Polk Sirius to the DacMagic and although the Shanling and the Opus work fine through the DacMagic the Polk won't kick in and work.
I can see the leds on the front trying to lock in, but it never happens and all I get is dead silence.
Could it be a problem with the sample rate out of the Polk? If so I might actually have to put in a separate, inexpensive DIY dac inside the Polk unit to interface with the DacMagic, but don't want to invest in another piece of equipment as an experiment. The Polk does have optical and coax outs from it's own Dac, but they just seem to be incompatible with the DacMagic and their Dac just doesn't really cut the mustard with a high end system. Am I expecting too much from Sirius radio?
Anyone with any ideas on the subject?
post #66 of 3124 Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post

Since squeezecenter has no problem seeing all of the music on the Opus via UPnP I'm not sure this would make a difference. It's the Boom itself that seems to have the problem seeing what SqueezeCenter can already see. I've read about some users complaining about the Boom's limited UPnP support. Maybe it will be fixed with a firmware update at some point.

Some thoughts about this... My Asus NAS lets me decide in it's web interface, whether or not wifi clients can see/talk to each other. Normally, an access point will allow clients to talk to itself, but not to other clients. So maybe you can find such an option in your pc.
But maybe I'm just talking nonsense. I'm a Linux lover, and besides, never tried to make my pc wireless.

Marc
post #67 of 3124 Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxbill View Post

Not to disrupt an ongoing thread, but we seem to be bouncing around anyway so I hope no one minds.
I connected my Shanling, my Opus and my Polk Sirius to the DacMagic and although the Shanling and the Opus work fine through the DacMagic the Polk won't kick in and work.
I can see the leds on the front trying to lock in, but it never happens and all I get is dead silence.
Could it be a problem with the sample rate out of the Polk? If so I might actually have to put in a separate, inexpensive DIY dac inside the Polk unit to interface with the DacMagic, but don't want to invest in another piece of equipment as an experiment. The Polk does have optical and coax outs from it's own Dac, but they just seem to be incompatible with the DacMagic and their Dac just doesn't really cut the mustard with a high end system. Am I expecting too much from Sirius radio?
Anyone with any ideas on the subject?

Can you check in the manual for the Polk Sirius to see what sampling rate it outputs? If it's not 44.1k PCM, your DAC won't recognize it. It might be 32k, or 48k, or possibly not even PCM - it might be DSD or some kind of Dolby I'm not familiar with.

I just checked on the Polk info page for the SR-H1000 (assuming that's what you're using) and it says:

"Hooking up is a snap. The SR-H1000 features an Optical digital output and standard RCA analog stereo outputs so you can hook it up to ANY stereo receiver or amp. Of course, you'll need to subscribe to the SIRIUS Satellite Radio service. "

Theoretically, it should work the way you have it hooked up.

And, lo and behold - there's a Polk Sirius forum thread right here on AVS! You might try your question there. :-)

Best of luck,
Ed

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
post #68 of 3124 Old 01-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

Can you check in the manual for the Polk Sirius to see what sampling rate it outputs? If it's not 44.1k PCM, your DAC won't recognize it. It might be 32k, or 48k, or possibly not even PCM - it might be DSD or some kind of Dolby I'm not familiar with.
[cut]
Best of luck,
Ed

The Dacmagic can have much more input rates than only 44.1Khz, including all that you mentioned. Just check the manual.

But it has 2 digital inputs and 1 output, looking all the same. Could it be that the Sirius is hooked on the output?
My 2 cents...

Marc
post #69 of 3124 Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM

I have a bug report for Opus4 owners.

I updated my Opus4 to O.3.2.3 last night, encountering no problems initially. However, I just tried to scroll through the album artwork using Maestro and could only see the numeric, A and B titles. The C through Z don't show up, even though the Navigation bar on the left shows a correct artwork count of 689.

I just got off the phone with support at Olive. I was told that this is a known issue with the O.3.2.3 version. It's happening but only with a limited number of the units. A fix should be available this week.
post #70 of 3124 Old 01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I just got my Opus, and I hate to say that I was underwhelmed by it. Just to test its capabilities I threw 3 discs at it. One with Yo-Yo Ma and the Cleveland Quartet (Schubert), and two Opera's I randomly choose from my collection: Macbeth from Verdi on EMI with Riccardo Muti as conductor, and Gluck's Orphée et Euridice by the Opera of Lyon conducted by John Elliot Gardiner, with Anne Sofie van Otter and Barbera Hendricks to name a few.
--- NONE of these were recognized by the internal database which promises to recognize discs in 'almost all cases' ---
I regard this as false information.
I will test some more cases, but my expectations are meager now.

Naturally, I don't sit and wait until this is fixed, it problably never will. These discs ar not new at all nor obscure.

To make life lighter, I decided to append the cd's of these opera's to one per opera. I was glad that I found this possibility, because it makes it easier to repare the false information that came from freedb.
But to my dismall I found that this operation just merged the numbers and did not append the disks as the manual states.
So I deleted both opera's and started anew. I also downloaded the newer manual, to find this extra sentence:
"Before you do, edit the CD number fields for both CDs to ensure playback is in
order of the CDs."
Ok, thanks a lot for this clarification. And no thanks for this underperforming appending of cd's, which should just work.

But now, I just can't find the place in the maesto interface to do this.
Somebody here?

Marc
post #71 of 3124 Old 01-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Marc, if I understand what you are asking, I think you need to edit the album name then go to the Recording tab and change the Disc Number (for the first performance) to 1 and the Total Discs to the number of performances you are saving. For the second performance change the Disc Number to 2, and the Total Discs for that performance to the same number as the first, and so on. ie:

Disc Number 1, Total Discs 3 (first performance)
Disc Number 2, Total Discs 3 (second performance)
Disc Number 3, Total Discs 3 (third performance)

When editing each performance, make sure that the Album Title is identical for all. I think that should do it.
post #72 of 3124 Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input. My DacMagic 1 has three inputs ( cable), RCA outs and Balanced Outs. The three inputs are for CD, DAT and Aux. The Sample rates are 32, 44.1 and 48. The Polk has optical out as well as coax out in addition to the standard RCA outs. It's not that it sounds bad....It actually sounds pretty good, but of course cannot compete with the CDs or Olive. I just don't know if it's because it's radio broadcast or simply inexpensive Dacs in it.
Thanks for the tip on the Sirius site....I'll check there as well.
Happy new year to all here.
Regards,
Bill
post #73 of 3124 Old 01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meek View Post

Marc, if I understand what you are asking, I think you need to edit the album name then go to the Recording tab and change the Disc Number (for the first performance) to 1 and the Total Discs to the number of performances you are saving. For the second performance change the Disc Number to 2, and the Total Discs for that performance to the same number as the first, and so on. ie:

Disc Number 1, Total Discs 3 (first performance)
Disc Number 2, Total Discs 3 (second performance)
Disc Number 3, Total Discs 3 (third performance)

When editing each performance, make sure that the Album Title is identical for all. I think that should do it.

David, Thanks! With a little help from you I can now understand how it works. So, now I actually have one well sorted opera 'Pelléas et Mélisande' under Album Name, but unfortunately i already had moved 2 discs of these to the Classical genre, where they sit now in a wrong order merged together. Can I delete the wrong contamination and copy the good Opera again to Classical, or will this actually delete the music files?

Thanks in advance.
Marc
post #74 of 3124 Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 AM

Marc, I'm glad that helped you out. Now on the new question, I'm not sure about that. Based on what I know, I'd just delete the old merged files and re-import them. Maybe someone else can jump in here with more info...?
post #75 of 3124 Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not sure either. I would do the same thing. Delete the merged files and start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meek View Post

Marc, I'm glad that helped you out. Now on the new question, I'm not sure about that. Based on what I know, I'd just delete the old merged files and re-import them. Maybe someone else can jump in here with more info...?

post #76 of 3124 Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I deleted it, and started over... But again I feel stuck..
Under Albums I have 3 discs of this one Opera. As told by David I can edit the album name, change the disc number and total, and thus merge the three into one album, neatly sorted. Nice...
But it still has no Composer and Work info. So, I drag this neatly sorted album to Classical (opera, french), only to find that the Olive has it now listed as Unknown Composer under Unknown work and reshufled the tracks again in wrong order!

Again I had to delete this, beacuse I could not repair it. Not nice.

Now, the opposite approach:
Under Albums I have 3 discs of this one Opera. Now I first drag them to the Classical genre, and I can edit the Composer and Work. Fine. But I don't see a way to change the album name in this view, let alone the total number of discs. That seems to be a feature of the album view alone.

So, I'm stuck? Is this just a bug?
Marc
post #77 of 3124 Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi,
I just got my Opus, and I hate to say that I was underwhelmed by it. Just to test its capabilities I threw 3 discs at it. One with Yo-Yo Ma and the Cleveland Quartet (Schubert), and two Opera's I randomly choose from my collection: Macbeth from Verdi on EMI with Riccardo Muti as conductor, and Gluck's Orphée et Euridice by the Opera of Lyon conducted by John Elliot Gardiner, with Anne Sofie van Otter and Barbera Hendricks to name a few.
--- NONE of these were recognized by the internal database which promises to recognize discs in 'almost all cases' ---

This is typical for FreeDB, support for classical music is poor.
Don't know if the local database is the entire one (in the past on the Hifidelio, is was a subset), going online might help.
In case of classical music, ripping and tagging on your PC using WMP might yield better results: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.c...o/Edit/AMG.htm
post #78 of 3124 Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 AM

I have the same problem after update to 3.2.3. Also there is a problem with the listing of classical composers that there was not with the previous update 3.2.2. Hopefully the bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147
post #79 of 3124 Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk92147 View Post

I have the same problem after update to 3.2.3. Also there is a problem with the listing of classical composers that there was not with the previous update 3.2.2. Hopefully the bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147

Jk92147, could you tell something more about the bug with the listing of classical composers?
My Opus came preloaded with rel. O.3.2.3, so I can't see differences.

Meanwhile I have told my experience with the wrong playing order to the Opus helpdesk. They replied [...] I have passed your issue onto our development team to see if this is an issue they are aware of [...]

Let's hope for the best.

Marc
post #80 of 3124 Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Jk92147, could you tell something more about the bug with the listing of classical composers?
My Opus came preloaded with rel. O.3.2.3, so I can't see differences.

Meanwhile I have told my experience with the wrong playing order to the Opus helpdesk. They replied [...] I have passed your issue onto our development team to see if this is an issue they are aware of [...]

Let's hope for the best.

Marc

Marc, 2 major maestro bugs with 3.2.3. In Maestro viewing album art, only the first 40 or so album art can be viewed with Maestro despite the correct number being listed on the left side of the screen. Also under classical composers, the first 40 or so are listed in alphabetical order, then begins again with the A's a second time and goes to 'Z'. Hopefully the 2 bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147
post #81 of 3124 Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another bug is the "play" button no longer works in the playlists.

I have it on good authority that these bugs should be fixed in the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk92147 View Post

Marc, 2 major maestro bugs with 3.2.3. In Maestro viewing album art, only the first 40 or so album art can be viewed with Maestro despite the correct number being listed on the left side of the screen. Also under classical composers, the first 40 or so are listed in alphabetical order, then begins again with the A's a second time and goes to 'Z'. Hopefully the 2 bugs will be fixed soon. Jk92147

post #82 of 3124 Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, I have the Opus now for some weeks. I'm getting used to it, and it does a good job with importing cd's and recognizing them. Still I have to edit some fields, especially with classical music. But that does not bother me (so much) (anymore).
I noticed that playing a cd directly gives a much inferior sound than with my Marantz SA 7001 KI sacd player, how would you guys rate the Opus 4 as cd-player?
It's just amazing how much better it sounds after importing, I mean, that's no surprise, but the difference with my cd player is rather striking.

Marc
post #83 of 3124 Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM

I'm feeding the Opus4's digital output into the same standalone DAC (Musical Fidelity A3.24) that I ran my transport (Yamaha CDR-1000) into and I can safely say that I haven't noticed an audible difference when just playing a CD.

I'm willing to bet that your Marantz has better internal DACs than the Opus does - assuming you have been using the analog outputs on both.
post #84 of 3124 Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Z, Shamus,

Have either of you heard anything out of Olive regarding the OS patch for O.3.2.3? That "later this week" date has slipped a bit.
post #85 of 3124 Old 01-26-2009, 04:12 PM

I have a modified Musica that I'm thinking about replacing with an Opus No. 4 now that it seems most of the bugs have been addressed, primarily to gain more storage space and ongoing updates. I was hoping an owner could answer a few questions.

Will the Opus No. 4 play the new Reference Recordings HRx discs? I'm guessing the answer is no, as they are 176/24 WAV files.

I know the web/Rondo interface is in beta--how does it compare to the (relatively crude) interface of the older models? Could someone upload a few screenshots of it? My listening area is a large loft, and I sometimes listen to music while on my laptop across the room, so I do use the web interface quite frequently.

Has anyone used a third party CD ripping/tagging service? I was looking at the ReadyToPlay service (http://www.readytoplaysecure.com), since they focus on high quality rips using dBpoweramp as well as accurate metadata. Is there anything unusual with importing FLAC files into the Opus No. 4 with regards to metadata or cover art that I should watch out for when using a third party service? My collection is roughly 35% classical.

Aside from copying / importing to the "import" share, is accessing files from a NAS on the upcoming feature list? I believe that was on the list for the previous generation of models, but new development on those is pretty much dead at this point it seems.

Thanks.
post #86 of 3124 Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I can't answer all your questions.
As for the screen shots, I would suggest that you download the manual from the opus site, as it contains much screen shots, and can answer some more questions you have.
The Rondo interface is not yet accessible in a browser, so making screenshots myself is a bit awkward.

Accessing files from a NAS is feasible, as long as it runs some music server like Twonky. It will not get the files by itself with smb or so. I have a Ziova that does that.

The Opus 4 can import HD music, but I have no experience with that, nor do I know the exact format. I hope someone else will tell.

Marc
post #87 of 3124 Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The Opus 4 will not play any High Resolution Audio files without an external DAC. I haven't tried the HRx discs, but I have tried both 96-khz/24-bit and 44-khz/24-bit FLAC files, and the internal DAC will not process them correctly.

I suspect the Opus 6 will have the capability to natively handle High Resolution FLAC files, but it is anyone's guess as to when the 6 will be available.

Meanwhile I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (the new version) with my Opus 4, and the combination works great.

If you read back through the posts, you'll see a number of us use Exact Audio Copy to rip CDs to FLAC on our PCs, then use Media Monkey to edit the metadata, and then import those files into the Opus 4.

I can't comment on third party tagging services since I haven't used any.

As David M. stated, the Opus 4 will see NAS devices on you network as long as they are DNLA capable. The Opus 4 sees and plays files off of my HP MV2020 just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottlv View Post

I have a modified Musica that I'm thinking about replacing with an Opus No. 4 now that it seems most of the bugs have been addressed, primarily to gain more storage space and ongoing updates. I was hoping an owner could answer a few questions.

Will the Opus No. 4 play the new Reference Recordings HRx discs? I'm guessing the answer is no, as they are 176/24 WAV files.

I know the web/Rondo interface is in beta--how does it compare to the (relatively crude) interface of the older models? Could someone upload a few screenshots of it? My listening area is a large loft, and I sometimes listen to music while on my laptop across the room, so I do use the web interface quite frequently.

Has anyone used a third party CD ripping/tagging service? I was looking at the ReadyToPlay service (http://www.readytoplaysecure.com), since they focus on high quality rips using dBpoweramp as well as accurate metadata. Is there anything unusual with importing FLAC files into the Opus No. 4 with regards to metadata or cover art that I should watch out for when using a third party service? My collection is roughly 35% classical.

Aside from copying / importing to the "import" share, is accessing files from a NAS on the upcoming feature list? I believe that was on the list for the previous generation of models, but new development on those is pretty much dead at this point it seems.

Thanks.

post #88 of 3124 Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

The Opus 4 will not play any High Resolution Audio files without an external DAC.

What about with a digital connection?
post #89 of 3124 Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Only if the Pre-amp/Amp/Receiver/Etc you are feeding the digital connection into from the Opus 4 has a DAC that can handle the high resolution files.

The DAC in your Denon (as well as mine) can handle the high resolution files, but I don't use my Opus with my Denon that I use for my home theater set up, but rather a Cambridge Audio 840R, which has no internal DAC and only analog inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

What about with a digital connection?

post #90 of 3124 Old 01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks Z....
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version