"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #991 of 3038 Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you unzip the file(s), you should get at least all cd's that you imported to the olive from your pc. The ripped files stay in the backup where they are.
Maybe Olive changed something (again) in release 4.1.3? I'm still at 4.1.1, and maybe I stick to it.
BTW it's far more easy to open the unit and copy partition 7. If you don't run Linux, try it with Knoppix.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3038 Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to join this forum, having owned an Olive 4 HD for a few weeks. I have a classical music library of approx 3,000 CDs and was lured by Olive's advertising of its Maestro interface, specially designed for classical music. Actually importing my whole library proved very easy. The nightmare began when I realised how messy and bugged Maestro was. Although all the works were labelled as Classical, the import ignored the Genre for almost all CDs, which means I could not access the Work tab, which was necessary to specify the composer, which Maestro had also ignored. When I tried to drag albums into the Classical genre, it did not work. I called Olive's support team who told me this bug would be fixed 'at the end of the month'. The following month, they promised again that it would be fixed at the end of the month, like the many other bugs I noticed. Three months in, none of the bugs I complained about was fixed, but Olive is boasting about new 'cosmetic' features instead of addressing the structural bugs which plague Maestro. Using the few features which prove to work, I have calculated that it would take me more than a year to relabel my library properly if I spent one hour a day on it. This is because unless I drag the albums one by one into the Classical genre (in order to access the Work tab) they all get mixed up into a single album with thousands of tracks which are ranked alphabetically, which means I have to check if track and allocate it to the appropriate album. Please let me know if there is another solution...

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomusic View Post

I am beginning to believe that Olive CANNOT fix the major software problems in the 4HD. What we have bought is a kludge of mysterious freeware, shareware and goofy Linux software that's cheap for the manufacturer and constantly frustrating for the consumer. The patient willingness of Olive owners to try to puzzle out solutions to problems that Olive itself will not solve amazes me.

After nine months or more on the market, the Olive still has not fixed the broken iMaestro app or addressed any of the major flaws in the Maestro software interface. I won't detail the myriad cataloging flaws in Maestro that Olive will not fix: buy a download or rip an album, then say a prayer before you look at the jumble you might see in Maestro. Waste your life away trying to correct entries in Maestro.

Then there's the proprietary backup system that may or may not work.

Recent updates centered around internet radio, evidently a case of Sonos envy, only deflect from the major flaws in the Olive. Olive should fix what's broken before they pile on more impaired functions.

I bought the Olive 4HD expecting a simple entry into high-quality digital music until a more refined, reasonably-priced product came along. Thus far, nothing better to which I might turn has come along, and the Olive's functionality gets worse instead of better.

Yes, the Olive pleases with good sound reproduction. What the Olive does not do, contradicting the company's brochure, is deliver a music experience without compromises... with easy digital music access and elegant design. I've lost confidence in the product because nothing is ever really fixed. Whenever something sensible comes along, from a company that offers service rather than san excuse-riddled holding pattern, I will gladly pay the money.

post #993 of 3038 Old 10-23-2010, 01:40 AM

Excuse me for the question, but isn't the Olive UpNP compliant? If it is, you should be able to set up a UpNP interface, have it access the music library, sort your CDs, and play thru that instead. You may even be able to load one directly onto the Olive.

I know it's a workaround, but is should be easier than the process you describe.
post #994 of 3038 Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciani View Post

I decided to join this forum, having owned an Olive 4 HD for a few weeks. I have a classical music library of approx 3,000 CDs and was lured by Olive's advertising of its Maestro interface, specially designed for classical music. Actually importing my whole library proved very easy. The nightmare began when I realised how messy and bugged Maestro was. Although all the works were labelled as Classical, the import ignored the Genre for almost all CDs, which means I could not access the Work tab, which was necessary to specify the composer, which Maestro had also ignored. When I tried to drag albums into the Classical genre, it did not work. I called Olive's support team who told me this bug would be fixed 'at the end of the month'. The following month, they promised again that it would be fixed at the end of the month, like the many other bugs I noticed. Three months in, none of the bugs I complained about was fixed, but Olive is boasting about new 'cosmetic' features instead of addressing the structural bugs which plague Maestro. Using the few features which prove to work, I have calculated that it would take me more than a year to relabel my library properly if I spent one hour a day on it. This is because unless I drag the albums one by one into the Classical genre (in order to access the Work tab) they all get mixed up into a single album with thousands of tracks which are ranked alphabetically, which means I have to check if track and allocate it to the appropriate album. Please let me know if there is another solution...

Thank you

Ciani,
I have owned an Olive Opus 4 for about 1.5 year, and it went through all the updates that Olive provided. I never had any problem with dragging an album anywhere in the classical section, so I wonder, is this a 4HD bug only?

When I started my ripping adventures, i managed to get my 1500 cd collection ripped in about 4 months, without editing anything at all. It ended on a NAS in ogg-format, and it ended in a mess that i never got right.
You say "Actually importing my whole library proved very easy." Does this mean that you already have a ripped version of your cd's in FLAC-format, and have organized it with some editor or so, before importing it to the Olive?

I think the problem is that there is no standard way to tag classical tracks, and that every producer can implement its own not-compatible 'solution' (if at all). The Olive is no exception.

In the few instances I import cd's that i have ripped on my pc, I sometimes have tagged it with 'imported', to make sure that it came in a 'imported' map in the maestro interface. If I recall it properly, i found these albums in Other/imported. I could drag them to the Classical genre and sub-genre of my liking.
My software gives me just one tag to fill in. I don't know what happens if I fill it with "Classical", but I think it would land on the "Unknown Composer" within its "Unknown work"
Question: what software did you use to tag your cd's? Maybe there is a more clever solution than to re-import the cd's one by one and edit them subsequently.

But maybe that is the only option you have.

After my initial failure i decided to do it that way, just rip or import the cd's one by one, and edit them. I don't mind that this takes ages, but i want to do it only ONCE.
I'm still in the process to figure out how to Save the Music, in the event that the Olive dies. I confident that I will succeed (before I die )

Hope to hear from you,
Marc
post #995 of 3038 Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 AM
TBB

Hello all,

As I ve been thinking to have a source for my over 2500 cds saving in hi-rez media, I saw Opus 4HD would do this job.... But,

I wonder,

* I have also many MP3 files in CDs, so will that be possible to import my files in to Olives HDD? I read in its user manual that only Audio CD importing is possible, is that true?
Cant I transfer my all MP3 CDs into this player?

* It seems its very expensive comparing to standart external discs, would that be logical and what would be the main differences?

* I personally dont want to use any pc while converting my files and cds to this unit, would that be possible? Its the most easiest way using a pc to arrange the files, so how can I easlily do those things with Olive itself?

*How long it take to import an audio cd to its hard disc? Would that be a hard job to transfer all those 2500 items w/o using a pc?

* Is it easy to connect this to my Marantz SR7500 reciever?

If you can help me in this questions , Id be very happy....

One final question , does that really impressive when listening music on this unit?

But the most important question is definetly that if it also transfer Mp3 files to its unit?

Thanks in advance,
post #996 of 3038 Old 10-27-2010, 07:12 PM

TBB, You can certainly open the mp3 files in your computer and drag them into an import folder and they will automatically transfer to the Opus.
post #997 of 3038 Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 PM

mumsoft, when you say open the unit and copy partition 7...do you mean physically open the unit? Sorry for being obtuse.

By the way, I did finally get a full copy of the music, but labeled as numbered files, with unknown songs. This seems like more work than just re-ripping my CDs onto a separate hard drive as a back up.
post #998 of 3038 Old 10-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHG3 View Post

mumsoft, when you say open the unit and copy partition 7...do you mean physically open the unit? Sorry for being obtuse.

By the way, I did finally get a full copy of the music, but labeled as numbered files, with unknown songs. This seems like more work than just re-ripping my CDs onto a separate hard drive as a back up.

Yes, open the unit = take the cover off, unscrew the hard disk, attach it to your (linux) pc some way, copy partion 7 to another hard disk.

It's some work, but the copy phase is much quicker.
My ripped cd's appear as CD999999 directories wth track99.flac files.
Most of the metadata, if not all, is kept in the separe sqlite database(s).

I trust (I'm optimistic!) that one day I will be able to move my library to another streamer and keep what I have done.
But if you consider the way Olive handles the library of it's predecessors, this will be no simple task.
If you have a re-ripped your cd's on a separate hard disk, there is also no garantee that this will serve for another streamer.
Olive splits albums without need, what will another streamer do with your music?

Marc
post #999 of 3038 Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBB View Post

Hello all,

As I ve been thinking to have a source for my over 2500 cds saving in hi-rez media, I saw Opus 4HD would do this job.... But,

I wonder,

* I have also many MP3 files in CDs, so will that be possible to import my files in to Olives HDD? I read in its user manual that only Audio CD importing is possible, is that true?
Cant I transfer my all MP3 CDs into this player?

* It seems its very expensive comparing to standart external discs, would that be logical and what would be the main differences?

* I personally dont want to use any pc while converting my files and cds to this unit, would that be possible? Its the most easiest way using a pc to arrange the files, so how can I easlily do those things with Olive itself?

*How long it take to import an audio cd to its hard disc? Would that be a hard job to transfer all those 2500 items w/o using a pc?

* Is it easy to connect this to my Marantz SR7500 reciever?

If you can help me in this questions , Id be very happy....

One final question , does that really impressive when listening music on this unit?

But the most important question is definetly that if it also transfer Mp3 files to its unit?

Thanks in advance,

You can import your mp3's via your pc, but as far as I know, not directly at the Olive with a MP3-cd.
Once in a while the Olive does not recognize a disk, that is, it does not stop trying to read the title. Such cd's have to be imported with a pc.
Also some cd's are read, but not recognized and these are imported with unknown artist and unknown title. You'll want to edit this information, or else you'll get lost in the unknown tracks.
If your Marantz has a digital input, there is no problem connecting it, but probably the internal dac of the olive 4HD is better.

Most people here prefer to use a pc, rip all the cd's on their pc's, and import them to the Olive, just to make sure they keep the music.
Until now there is no sure way to get the music back from the Olive, apart from its ability to backup & restore.

If you love classical music, the Olive is a boon, but otherwise take a look at other solutions.

Marc
post #1000 of 3038 Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi all expect, I am using the Olive 4HD for 1 month, created the backup successfully and try to use 7-zip to extract the backup originally into wav. However, I could not do that and ony get the file named at AudioLibraryBackup. Could anyone help, many many thanks.

post #1001 of 3038 Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 257
email just received:

Dear Olive Friend,

We are pleased to tell you that we will soon officially announce our
new flagship product, the Olive O6HD. And that we will fly the first
20 lucky owners to San Francisco! Visit us at
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?OliveMediaIn...20c/0a51e490bc for more details.

We will reveal a new feature of the O6HD every few
days.

Plus, we have just launched the second release of our iPhone/iPad
remote control application
. Simply go to Apple's App store and
download it. Control your Olive from the comfort of your couch!

http://www.olive.us/products/O6HD_sneakpeak

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #1002 of 3038 Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM

New imaestro is ok. Faster, easier, more stable than first version. Big step forward. Congratulations Olive.
post #1003 of 3038 Old 11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
new iphone app working great so far.... I can actually stand listening to the olive again.
post #1004 of 3038 Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

My new Maestro experience has not been good.

Aside from "Artists", none of the other icons respond. That would include: Albums, Tracks, Genres, Playlists, Internet Radio, Music Sources and More.

Tapping on an artist often does not work. Tapping on player usually does not work. Scrolling through the list usually does not work.

I have tried this on two separate iPads and get the same result.

Oh and despite what the App Store page says, it does not provide a landscape view.

Brother ...
post #1005 of 3038 Old 11-03-2010, 05:48 PM

OK, went to the App Store - somebody posted that the iPad app does not work (although it does replace your existing Maestro app that does). They also said an iPad specific version is due to come out in a week or so.
post #1006 of 3038 Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric KC View Post

My new Maestro experience has not been good.

Aside from "Artists", none of the other icons respond. That would include: Albums, Tracks, Genres, Playlists, Internet Radio, Music Sources and More.

Tapping on an artist often does not work. Tapping on player usually does not work. Scrolling through the list usually does not work.

I have tried this on two separate iPads and get the same result.

Oh and despite what the App Store page says, it does not provide a landscape view.

Brother ...

did you try downloading all the songs, artist etc to your iPad? goto more, settings and refresh all. it will take a while.
post #1007 of 3038 Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

landscape working, but you have to be playing a song.
post #1008 of 3038 Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 AM

Yes, it reported back that everything had loaded. It looks like I need to wait on the iPad app.

Funny thing is, the screen only seems to respond touching in the upper left "iPhone-size" rectangle. So I guess this version was not designed for the iPad - despite what they say - but I can certainly wait a week.
post #1009 of 3038 Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have an ipad, I just bought an Android smartphone.
There you have it; another challenge for Olive.
post #1010 of 3038 Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an update.... imaestro is still working fantastic. I would of said it would be perfect if it had volume controls on it... turns out I found them (analog only)!

I highly recommend getting an old ipod or something cheap if you dont have an iphone/ipad since it really adds to the listening experience. Of course try it out before you buy one since this app seems vary how good it works between users. Last update was unusable by me.
post #1011 of 3038 Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally got some time to play with the new iPhone/Touch app. Way way better than than the last version. Glad they took their time and got it right rather than pushing out some buggy interim 4.0 compatible release.

Really like the way I can now turn both of my units on and off remotely. Makes importing music over the network just that much easier.

Android... That would be nice, but don't hold your breath.
post #1012 of 3038 Old 11-08-2010, 01:47 AM

Hi, I'm an OliveHD new user, I've got the Olive set upand running, I also downloaded and set up the iMaestro application for my iPhone 4, but when you start the application on the iPhone, it opens up and start to load the Olive software, but it kicks itself out and goes back to the main menu screen on the iPhone, it also does the same thing with an older iPhone 3G.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
post #1013 of 3038 Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooners View Post

Hi, I'm an OliveHD new user, I've got the Olive set upand running, I also downloaded and set up the iMaestro application for my iPhone 4, but when you start the application on the iPhone, it opens up and start to load the Olive software, but it kicks itself out and goes back to the main menu screen on the iPhone, it also does the same thing with an older iPhone 3G.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,

Do you have the latest firmware on your phones???

I got kicked out a couple times to when downloading the titles. Make sure you have a good wifi connection and wait for it to download everything. Dont let the phone goto sleep either.
post #1014 of 3038 Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Z.... Im running into some issues when I import an album with multiple Artists. Instead of one album being listed, its listing a separate album for every artist. Im still editing in Mediamonkey and everything looks good. Any suggestions?
post #1015 of 3038 Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Hey Z.... Im running into some issues when I import an album with multiple Artists. Instead of one album being listed, its listing a separate album for every artist. Im still editing in Mediamonkey and everything looks good. Any suggestions?

Same thing here. I just manually merge them on the Olive via Maestro after importing the tracks. PITA, but I don't know of any other way to do it.
post #1016 of 3038 Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

Same thing here. I just manually merge them on the Olive via Maestro after importing the tracks. PITA, but I don't know of any other way to do it.

Ok thanks... thought I was doing something wrong.
post #1017 of 3038 Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 AM

You seem to be a privileged recipient of Olive news releases. Has anyone else on the forum received this email? Hmm.

I hope Olive addresses the Maestro mess in this new product by fixing Maestro before they release the new O6HD. From modern parts-off-the-shelf computer technology it's easy to assemble new hardware for a respectable product. But the most consistent complaint about Olive on this and other forums is directed at the cumbersome software that negates the practical usability of the large Olive hard disc. Proper software implementation would transform the duckling into a swan.

The new iMaestro app only works on a software-updated iPhone. It does not work, despite the claim on the App Store site, on the iPad. Olive promises a fix "soon". Skeptics will recall that "soon" in Olive-Speak means "maybe".

gm
post #1018 of 3038 Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Apologies. I meant to append my post (immediately above) to the message from MarkRubin about the email he recieved from Olive.

gm
post #1019 of 3038 Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Apologies. I meant to append my post (immediately above) to the message from MarkRubin about the email he recieved from Olive.

gm

I will inquire as to the fixes and how soon we might see them

I got the iPad interface to work to a limited degree but I agree it is quite buggy

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #1020 of 3038 Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

gm

yes... check your spam box
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page