"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 56 - AVS Forum
First ... 54  55  56 57  58  ... Last
CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > "Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD
dogface1's Avatar dogface1 01:01 AM 11-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBartels View Post

The Olive Musica still works, but just has a 250GB drive and less functionality. I am using until the new system is built.

I am an owner of both the older Symphony and Musica.
Why not add a 500gig or perhaps two 500gig external hard drives to your Musica? For $100 US you now have lots of storage for music.

You state that your Musica is less functional than the Olive O4. Please tell me in what ways the Olive O4 is more functional than the older Musica or Symphony's.

With my Symphony and Musica I can do the following:
Add external hardrives
Use an external DAC
Convert analog recordings to digital
Listen to Internet radio
Backup music easily in a non-proprietary system
Control them with a PC, Ipad or Iphone
Stream music from one unit to the other
Add music by inserting CDs or through the USB ports or streaming
All of the above and more.with the added benefit of being glitch and hassle free.

Even after all these years I don't see the newer Olives as being anywhere close to the capabilities of the older units.

The only thing that I can think of is that the newer Olives have a color screen and can show album art. As far as higher rez files, well I'm not convinced they are any better than Redbook.

mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 06:25 AM 11-19-2011
Hey dogface1, that looks if I have been missing something in the past.
But I was looking at streamers that could do something for classical music, and , while not perfect, the Olive does that for me.
What about classical music & the Melody/Symphony?

Marc
Nalod's Avatar Nalod 10:35 AM 11-20-2011
Good pts. My musica in two years fried three hard drives and a mother board. It fried the nite of my 50th birthday party.

The Musica was certainly more flexible and perhaps a bit ahead of itself.

I was thrilled they gave me a full credit on my musica on a trade in. Two months into ownership of my HD04 it ate a bad file and fried a hard drive!

Back up now every few weeks after a bit of downloading.

I guess we all good unless Olive goes out of business!
dogface1's Avatar dogface1 07:57 PM 11-20-2011
Classical music can be a little bit of a hassle if you have a large collection.
The Musica/Symphony's can be sorted by composer, artist and album. If you need any more information you can type it in the comments box for an album or track.

I have been fortunate that I have not had any hard drive or hardware failures with my machines. A great thing about the older Olive’s is that if you keep a backup of the hard drive and the Olive hard drive goes down you still have usable files that will play on anything.

Using the older units built in VNC function, controlling the older machines for playing music or editing with a laptop or Ipad is fast and effortless.

I certainly hope Olive stays in business for a long time but at this point I don't see a reason to "upgrade" to the newer units.
JBartels's Avatar JBartels 03:30 PM 11-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface1 View Post

I am an owner of both the older Symphony and Musica.
Why not add a 500gig or perhaps two 500gig external hard drives to your Musica? For $100 US you now have lots of storage for music.

You state that your Musica is less functional than the Olive O4. Please tell me in what ways the Olive O4 is more functional than the older Musica or Symphony’s.

With my Symphony and Musica I can do the following:
Add external hardrives
Use an external DAC
Convert analog recordings to digital
Listen to Internet radio
Backup music easily in a non-proprietary system
Control them with a PC, Ipad or Iphone
Stream music from one unit to the other
Add music by inserting CDs or through the USB ports or streaming
All of the above and more….with the added benefit of being glitch and hassle free.

Even after all these years I don’t see the “newer” Olives as being anywhere close to the capabilities of the older units.

The only thing that I can think of is that the newer Olives have a color screen and can show album art. As far as higher rez files, well I’m not convinced they are any better than Redbook.

Given the work you have done, I would agree you have really maximized the Musica/Symphony. I would say that if you were using them wirelessly then they were only 802.11B wireless which is pretty weak compared to N or G which is what my 04 was. I will say this at least with the Musica I could live with just using the interface which I could not do with the 04 while it has color touch screen, it was missing the dials. The HTML Maestro interface on the 04 was better than the musica and I would imagine the Iphone interface is nice. Seeing the albums covers is nice, but on the 4*3 touch screen its well not that big of a deal. But sounds like for you I can understand why you have did not upgrade. I am happy with the Dell at this point. Mediamonkey can be set to auto volume level each track, but you can always turn it off for playing but its stored, the 04 did not even offer that feature. Beyond the functionality I already mentioned, I am heavly into playlists 400-900 songs apiece typically set to random, ie my own personal radio stations I let play through the house so the auto volume and the fade option is nice. The musica had the fade, but it would sometimes cause static on mine, the 04 did not even offer it. The Media Monkey so far has done it flawlessly. I miss the light operating system, but other than that I am pretty happy.
markrubin's Avatar markrubin 05:59 AM 11-25-2011
Release notes of SW Version 4.1.81:beta version possibly just released

New features:
> Upload the artwork directly through the Olive server retrospectively. Simply tab the quality bar within the playscreen and the system present you a list with new artworks to select from
> By tabbing the artwork cover within the playscreen the album with its titles are displayed for quicker access
> Upload the error log files to the Olive server without the need of a USB drive
> Internet Radio stations are now automatically tested bi-weekly and only displayed by the Olive in case the service is currently available
> Browser interface of the Olive implements control/navigation buttons
> Track/Album can now be added without the need for it to be played back. Press the select button highlighting the item you'd like to add and select the corresponding option
> Buffering popup is shown in case the internet radio station is being loaded by the system
> Keyboard now supports apostrophes

Enhancements / Bugfixes:
> Disk usage now shows only the size of the music library by the customer
> Backup and restore procedure improved stability
> Restore from an old backup with an older software version no longer causes database problems
> Backup drive is now repartitioned to one single partition
> No more audio skips with specific flac files ("The Birds.flac")
> If the found metadata during CD ripping is change the CD information will not get lost
> Twonky now shows the original track order within one album (no longer sorted alphabetically)
> Network screen no longer overlaps if network error is shown (if system is set to German)
> Timeout for metadata recognition increased / CPU intense graphic is replaced for quicker recognition
> Playback of specific external server (AL) is now fully supported
dogface1's Avatar dogface1 01:02 PM 11-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBartels View Post

Given the work you have done, I would agree you have really maximized the Musica/Symphony.

The work involved was simply reading the manuals and understanding extra features that were added on as updates.
ALL of the features I mentioned earlier, plus things like replay gain, searchlist, auto import and others are part of the Symphony and Musica's original design.

The only extras you need are external hard drives and downloading of free VNC software for your computer or Ipad to communicate with them.

From talking with other owners of the Symphony and Musica's I'm convinced that only a small percentage of owners even know of half of what these machines can actually do.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:30 PM 11-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

beta release for 03HD, 04HD & 06HD
Release notes of SW Version 4.1.81:beta version possibly just released

Patiently waiting for the official release for Opus 4

Marc
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 03:01 PM 12-05-2011
Unpatiently waiting for the Official release for Opus 4

When is this scheduled?

BTW the last time I made a backup (I do that my way), I excluded some files:
touch /bu/M*er1.xml
Now my two Olives can see each other again.

Marc
orologio's Avatar orologio 07:41 AM 12-06-2011
Hello,

I think I am about to end my long search for a music server with an olive 04hd.
It should fill my needs well. I was hoping however to be able to use the olive to stream music from pandora, spotify, etc. as well. Would it be possible to just connect another device via 'Digital In' and pass through to digital out on the olive?
I couldnt find that particular info on their manual.

Thank you.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 09:00 AM 12-06-2011
Anyone here that has opened his Olive 03HD the way that I opened my Olive Opus 4?
I would like to hear if anything went wrong or went unexpected. May be via PM!

@Orologio: anything that advertises itself as an UPNP-server may be seen by the Olive. If you run Twonky on your PC, the Olive will see it. (That's one I know of, pandora, Spotify etc I don't know).

Marc
orologio's Avatar orologio 06:41 PM 12-06-2011
Thanks for the reply.
Just one more question, if I may:

Does the olive upsample everything to 24/192 via digital output? My understanding is that it does via analog.
hcpassion21's Avatar hcpassion21 06:20 PM 12-07-2011
Hello to all
I am French, excuse me for my written English !

I use OLIVE 04HD with (récently) an OLIVE 2 in Wireless.
In every utilisation, I am obliged to relaunch the network search on OLIVE 2 to see the OLIVE 4HD in musical server ?
it seems that OLIVE 2 does not keep in memory the parametres of connexion ? Example: he asks for the password, while on the OLIVE 04HD, this one is already informed!
Is it normal? Or my OLIVE 2 has a bug ?

The WIFI signal is at max, I use a routeur Netgear WNDR4500 and a répeteur Netgear WN3000RP...

I hope you understand me ...
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:24 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

Thanks for the reply.
Just one more question, if I may:

Does the olive upsample everything to 24/192 via digital output? My understanding is that it does via analog.

I don't think so. My Opus 4 outputs the digital files just the way they are stored. I can see that because my Dacmagic will show what resolution it gets.
But with an O4HD i wouldn't bother about the digital output, ans use just what is inside.

BTW Where is everybody?

Marc
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:26 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpassion21 View Post

Hello to all
I am French, excuse me for my written English !

I use OLIVE 04HD with (récently) an OLIVE 2 in Wireless.
In every utilisation, I am obliged to relaunch the network search on OLIVE 2 to see the OLIVE 4HD in musical server ?
it seems that OLIVE 2 does not keep in memory the parametres of connexion ? Example: he asks for the password, while on the OLIVE 04HD, this one is already informed!
Is it normal? Or my OLIVE 2 has a bug ?

The WIFI signal is at max, I use a routeur Netgear WNDR4500 and a répeteur Netgear WN3000RP...

I hope you understand me ...

Yes, perfectly.
Did you ask Olive about this? It seems to me a perfect question for them.

BTW Are there any Olive 2 users in the room?

Marc
orologio's Avatar orologio 07:14 AM 12-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

I don't think so. My Opus 4 outputs the digital files just the way they are stored. I can see that because my Dacmagic will show what resolution it gets.
But with an O4HD i wouldn't bother about the digital output, ans use just what is inside.

BTW Where is everybody?

Marc

mumsoft, thanks again.

Im trying to understand what you said. Why not to bother with the digital out?
I have a set of active dsp-speakers with coax digital input, and I would like to connect them directly to the server. The problem is that they accept up to 24/96. If the files are up-sampled higher than that there may be no sound.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 07:23 AM 12-09-2011
Okay, if you don't want to use the analog output (which uses a much better DAC than mine), I can understand that you want to be sure that digital out is not affected by the DAC.
I think it's not. But others might know this
I suggest you ask Olive itself, if no-one jumps in.

Marc
vcincotta's Avatar vcincotta 02:05 PM 12-10-2011
Hello,

Has anyone done a comparision of the 6 HD to the 4 HD in terms of sound quality? I have a 4 HD, and though I do like it, I do not believe it has as warm and musical sound as my Marantz SA 8001 CD player. I have done numerous compariosion between the two, and everytime I feel the Marantz sounds better. It's a slight difference but noticeable enough that I hear it. I am considering upgrading to the 6 HD and I am hoping the sound is better then the 4 HD so if anyone has actually done a side-by-side comparsion please share what you found. In case anyone is interested, I have the Olive and Marantz hooked up to a Marantz receiver (SR 8001). My speakers are Martin Logan Summit X and I have nordost blue heaven cables. Also, I have played the 4 HD both in the analog and digital outputs. I find the analog outputs to have a better sound.
Thank you.
hcpassion21's Avatar hcpassion21 09:04 AM 12-11-2011
With XBMC I want to copy all files on HDD extern, of my OLIVE 4HD (WAV files) but the copy are in (*.FLAC) ???
I would like the files in WAV...
I have made an error ? (Parametres ?)
Thanks
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 06:16 AM 12-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpassion21 View Post

With XBMC I want to copy all files on HDD extern, of my OLIVE 4HD (WAV files) but the copy are in (*.FLAC) ???
I would like the files in WAV...
I have made an error ? (Parametres ?)
Thanks

Hi hcpassion,

Are you sure that you told your Olive to use WAV and not FLAC? FLAC is the default, so, if you did not change that, the files in the Olive are FLAC-files. (Otherwise you would have found a XBMC conversion feature )

Marc
Nalod's Avatar Nalod 11:36 AM 12-15-2011
HD4 moment,

Enjoy playing old Cd's I have not pulled out in years and hearing the DAC goodness pulling out layers not found before.

This machine is an upgrade for me and very much enjoying the benefits of so much music at my finger tips. Its not a perfect solution but it provides a lot of value.

I am raiding my friends cd collections and pulling in so much music!

I thought its ok to post some love instead of a high tech complaint or problem. The music is sweet!
markrubin's Avatar markrubin 03:39 AM 12-17-2011
Release notes of second beta SW Version 4.1.82 for 03HD,04HD, and 06HD

New features:

> Upload the artwork directly through the Olive server retrospectively. Simply tab the artwork within the playscreen and the system presents you a list with new artworks to select from
> By tabbing the track title within the detailed playscreen the album with its titles are displayed for quicker access
> Upload the error log files to the Olive server without the need of a USB drive
> Internet Radio stations are now automatically tested bi-weekly and only displayed by the Olive in case the service is currently available
> Browser interface of the Olive implements control/navigation buttons
> Track/Album can now be added without the need for it to be played back. Press the select button highlighting the item you'd like to add and select the corresponding option
> Buffering popup is shown in case the internet radio station is being loaded by the system
> Keyboard now supports apostrophes

Enhancements / Bugfixes:

> Artwork navigation is now updated if the artwork is changed

> All items of one list are now displayed (65th was missing)

> The system will stop the playback after more than 12 hours of sleep

> Maestro "PLAY" link is now also accessible within other languages (i.e. German)

> CD ripping and editing of an unknown CD will now import successfully

> submitted language adjustments

> Disk usage now shows only the size of the music library by the customer
> Backup and restore procedure improved stability
> Restore from an old backup with an older software version no longer causes database problems
> Backup drive is now repartitioned to one single partition
> No more audio skips with specific flac files ("The Birds.flac")
> If the found metadata during CD ripping is change the CD information will not get lost
> Twonky now shows the original track order within one album (no longer sorted alphabetically)
> Network screen no longer overlaps if network error is shown (if system is set to German)
> Timeout for metadata recognition increased / CPU intense graphic is replaced for quicker recognition
> Playback of specific external server (AL) is now fully supported

orologio's Avatar orologio 11:16 AM 12-17-2011
I have already asked this question and I apologize for repeating myself. I have sent an email to olive and no reply was received. I also called but the person on the other side wasn't sure...

I simply would like to know whether the olive (04hd) upsamples everything when outputs digitally via coax to external dac or does it output native sample rate- 44.1, 88.2 , 16 or 24 bit? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:05 PM 12-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Release notes of second beta SW Version 4.1.82 for 03HD,04HD, and 06HD

Hi Mark,

1. How do you know this?
2. is it possible for a opus 4 owner to test a beta version? (I have two Opus 4's)
3. Do you know how long we still have to wait for the real new version? in a conversation with Olive I was told that a next version should come end october (this year ).

Hope you can answer some of my questions.
Marc
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 02:10 PM 12-17-2011
I get emails from Olive like this:
http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/4...49/56413b4529/

But when I click to give a bid I come here: http://www.olivehd.com/nl/home.html
I don't see a possibility to bid anywhere. So why on earth do they send me these emails?
Anyone with better results?

Marc
jojosr's Avatar jojosr 03:08 PM 12-18-2011
Hi all,
using my olive 4 for two years with full satisfaction.
But today I found out, that when I insert CD into Olive, it did not read it. Can not play, can not ripp the CD's.
I was searching the forum and I can not find the answer. Is it with firmware or just after two short years 2.000 EUR machiny simply die?
From Olive no answers yet, so I am trying here.
Thanks a lot.
Jozef
(O.4.1.8. - formware on Olive Opus 4)
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 03:18 PM 12-18-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojosr View Post

Hi all,
using my olive 4 for two years with full satisfaction.
But today I found out, that when I insert CD into Olive, it did not read it. Can not play, can not ripp the CD's.
I was searching the forum and I can not find the answer. Is it with firmware or just after two short years 2.000 EUR machiny simply die?
From Olive no answers yet, so I am trying here.
Thanks a lot.
Jozef
(O.4.1.8. - formware on Olive Opus 4)

My two Olive Opus 4's are still in good working order. They rip what I feed them. So, I guess your cd-rom drive is kaduuk (err. has a problem).
If you bought your olive from a dealer, go to him.
(I myself would just try to replace the cd-rom myself, that would be the quickest and simplest way to solve this problem).

good luck
Marc
jojosr's Avatar jojosr 03:26 PM 12-18-2011
Thanks Marc, I am from Slovakia, so I have contacted the dealer, we will see. Do you thing it is the simple CD ROM drive? I am normal skill freak, changing HDD and RAM in my Macbook, so do you think is the CD rom in Olive more complicated?
greywolf62's Avatar greywolf62 03:47 PM 12-24-2011
Hi everybody
Hope anybody can help with the following problem

my o4hd is working fine and updated.
my o2hd not so much and says it encountered a system error and requires me to insert the recovery usb in my system

tried to do this in the o2hd but it cant file the file it claims to need. i m reluctant to recover the whole system by inserting the usb backup in the o4hd, since that is working fine

any ideas

Tim
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft 01:23 AM 12-25-2011
Hi Tim,

Whatever you try, don't touch what still works well.
Maybe you can describe somewhat in more detail what your Olive 2 does when it starts up?

My Olive at least tells me that it is 25 december today, but it failed to wish me a Merry Christmas!!!!

But I won't.
Merry Christmas to you all!

Marc
First ... 54  55  56 57  58  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop