"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1801 of 3136 Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Is that with every cd you insert?
I don't have that.

Marc

only tried a few discs, but yes: all of them so far

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3136 Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Olive has chewed on this update to 4.1.9. for months. People could test it (not me). And still such a nasty bug.
I really don't know for sure if that was the solution, but after releasing and refitting the power cable for the cd drive (internal), my problems were over. Although I never have cd's that are misinterpreted, only sometimes cd's that can't be found in freedb. But that's quite natural.
But not recognizing that there is a cd in the drive, not ejecting it etc., that's in my opinion a software fault of rel 4.1.9.

Marc
post #1803 of 3136 Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Olive has chewed on this update to 4.1.9. for months. People could test it (not me). And still such a nasty bug.
I really don't know for sure if that was the solution, but after releasing and refitting the power cable for the cd drive (internal), my problems were over. Although I never have cd's that are misinterpreted, only sometimes cd's that can't be found in freedb. But that's quite natural.
But not recognizing that there is a cd in the drive, not ejecting it etc., that's in my opinion a software fault of rel 4.1.9.

Marc

I should clarify: it reads the disc when I insert it, but either does not come back with CD data, or wrong data: when I manually input name, it recognizes it and brings up cover art

on a new Springsteen disc (yes I am a fan: he is a neighbor) it shows it as White Heat: a different group:even after I input info manually

if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #1804 of 3136 Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I should clarify: it reads the disc when I insert it, but either does not come back with CD data, or wrong data: when I manually input name, it recognizes it and brings up cover art

on a new Springsteen disc (yes I am a fan: he is a neighbor) it shows it as White Heat: a different group:even after I input info manually

Okay, that is a different issue.
For years Olive showed an option to update the internal cd-database, but that never worked and the option is not there anymore.
Could you tell what the version number of the cd-database is in your 06HD?
(Maybe they updated it silently).

Marc
post #1805 of 3136 Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have sent a message, about my problem, to Olive Support and am awaiting a reply.
Is it possible to revert to an earlier software version? If so, how please?
In the meantime, any other suggestions?
post #1806 of 3136 Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure, but I guess that an older software version can be installed if you have it on a usb stick. (Never tried)
Another way, that I would not advise, is to start a recovery procedure with a recovery cd, update the old version with version 4.1.8 (from stick), and restore all your data (That's why I would not advise it)

Marc
post #1807 of 3136 Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

A question for you: i use to rip cd with flac on my pc and then transfer to my Olive 4HD. I put all the files in the IMPORT folder: only the files, no extra folders. They shows fine on the Olive Maestro but i was wondering if it is better to import each cd with his own folder.
Advise, please.
post #1808 of 3136 Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Folder information is not used. ALL information is in the metadata of the files you import.

Marc
post #1809 of 3136 Old 03-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

That's what i was thinkin' .. right!
Thanks, Luigi
post #1810 of 3136 Old 03-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Okay, that is a different issue.
For years Olive showed an option to update the internal cd-database, but that never worked and the option is not there anymore.
Could you tell what the version number of the cd-database is in your 06HD?
(Maybe they updated it silently).

Marc

Olive told me they have had several calls about the new Springsteen disc not coming up properly: nothing they can do

when I put the CD in a Mac Mini (iTunes) the disc is recognized properly

I think the database folks must be asleep

I have seen other music servers (Request is one) where you can select different databases: this would be handy here

post #1811 of 3136 Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

In About your Olive, it tells the version of the CD DB. In my cases it is 1.2.3.
I still wonder if it is different in a 06HD.

Cd's have no unique number to identify them. In stead, the only information available are the number of tracks, and the duration of each track (as far as I know). Some mathematical wizardry must convert this to a number that supposedly is unique, but in reality isn't. I don't know which function Olive uses and which function your Mac. But I can imagine that they differ.
Hence your problem.
(I don't like Bruce Springsteen, so it is not my problem )
And maybe it is a problem with freedb. My Linux pc (K3B) uses both freedb and Musicbrainz, and CD-text, that explains why it is sometimes better in recognizing cd's than the Olive.

Marc
post #1812 of 3136 Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

my 06HD CD DB is 1.3.2

post #1813 of 3136 Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

my 06HD CD DB is 1.3.2

Thanks, that seems old enough to not contain the latest Springsteen.
My 2. Olive Opus 4 came with the same version.

Marc
post #1814 of 3136 Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

this is a deal breaker for me:

I had no idea that the CD look up data was proprietary, and was stored on the Olive

post #1815 of 3136 Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

this is a deal breaker for me:

I had no idea that the CD look up data was proprietary, and was stored on the Olive

I don't know. If they want to get data from freedb it should be pretty standard.
I have ripped several cd's with version 4.1.9. without this problem.
Are you sure that your Mac uses freedb?

Marc
post #1816 of 3136 Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Liked: 11
Epilog for stuck disk:

Machine was sent back to Olive and their answer was "the olive can't read an enhanced cd".

This was obvious.

Fix: Don't use enhanced CD's.

Since I only have one of them, thats easy. I'll rip the music on my computer and transfer the audio files via network or just throw it out and buy a new copy without the "enhancements".

They got the disc out and Im happy to report there was nothing wrong with the machine.

I want to mention this as we tend to mostly report our problems or discovered short falls on these pages.

I look forward to getting my machine back. My Oppo 93 has no analog out so I can't play multi room as I like to and while the Ipod is nice, its not THAT nice!

The Machine is crossing the country now and should be back to me mid next week. I can finally finish the ripping project I started lin January and get the CD's off the dining room table!

Time to start raiding friends collections again but gotta read those lablels going forward in the event more "enhanced" cd's are out there.

BTW, it was a Todd Rundgren Album "The Individualist" that was the culprit!
post #1817 of 3136 Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Nalod.

I have ripped about 1500 cd's now, maybe 1400 with the Olive, and only one, very normal cd got stuck in the Olive.
I have described how this happened, and I can replay the problem.
Just put a cd in the Olive when it has not started the menu and shows the Olive logo, or to be precise, when it has a black screen with the Olive logo waiting.
The cd will get stuck.

Maybe your 'enhanced' cd, whatever that means, shows the same problem, but my recipe is quite reliable too.

I think I'll have to report it to Olive.

Marc
post #1818 of 3136 Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post

Epilog for stuck disk:

Machine was sent back to Olive and their answer was "the olive can't read an enhanced cd".

This was obvious.

Fix: Don't use enhanced CD's.

Since I only have one of them, thats easy. I'll rip the music on my computer and transfer the audio files via network or just throw it out and buy a new copy without the "enhancements".

They got the disc out and Im happy to report there was nothing wrong with the machine.

I want to mention this as we tend to mostly report our problems or discovered short falls on these pages.

I look forward to getting my machine back. My Oppo 93 has no analog out so I can't play multi room as I like to and while the Ipod is nice, its not THAT nice!

The Machine is crossing the country now and should be back to me mid next week. I can finally finish the ripping project I started lin January and get the CD's off the dining room table!

Time to start raiding friends collections again but gotta read those lablels going forward in the event more "enhanced" cd's are out there.

BTW, it was a Todd Rundgren Album "The Individualist" that was the culprit!

CD/SACD- work fine
SACD only- do not work
DVDA- become lunch for the Olive

Norm
post #1819 of 3136 Old 03-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don't know. If they want to get data from freedb it should be pretty standard.
I have ripped several cd's with version 4.1.9. without this problem.
Are you sure that your Mac uses freedb?

Marc

I spoke to a higher-up at Olive who is a Springsteen fan: his same disc worked fine in his Olive server

so I got another disc with same title: works perfectly

He said getting a CD with improper encoding is not unusual

In the meantime I sent an error log to Olive and they confirmed it was in the freedb database

post #1820 of 3136 Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormP View Post

CD/SACD- work fine
SACD only- do not work
DVDA- become lunch for the Olive

The Olive is back in the rack and doing her thing!

She never sounded better!
post #1821 of 3136 Old 03-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post

The Olive is back in the rack and doing her thing!

She never sounded better!

Congrats! (Mine is a he)

@Mark: solved. Congrats too.

Marc
post #1822 of 3136 Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I spoke to a higher-up at Olive who is a Springsteen fan: his same disc worked fine in his Olive server

so I got another disc with same title: works perfectly

He said getting a CD with improper encoding is not unusual

CD discs (redbook) have long seemed to me to be more problematic for accurate reading by any CD player/reader, than DVD or SACD or DVD_A or blu-ray or HD-DVD.

Which is why I rip my CD discs on my PC via EAC (Exact Audio Copy)

All too often, even with a great CD reader/burner in the PC (e.g. Plextor PX-L890SA) EAC shows an error or errors or even an error that it can't bypass. Win7 handles it best, whereas under WinXP EAC usually craps out and WinXP then needs to be re-booted when EAC runs into more than a minor CD problem.

Roughly 2 years ago I bought a Harmon Kardon DMC1000 on closeout ($4k new) that is somewhat similar to the Olive 4HD; a physically bigger unit for sure, with a silent internal fan; what I noticed was that if the unit can't read the CD disc properly it does what all players do and ignores the error problem(s) and continues on as best it can. Of course, the result is that the ripped file on the unit's HDD has sonic problems that one can hear. It still took me more than 6 months to figure it out!

As I don't own any Olive (6HD as you do, nor 4HD, nor any other Olive), it's not clear if this is an issue for you, but it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if it indeed is an issue for you Olive owners.

Just sharing some hard won experience; suspect that it likely applies to Olive units; just not sure to what extent it applies to Olive units.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #1823 of 3136 Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Can you explain what you hear when you encounter an erroneous disk?
With my > 1400 cd's ripped with my modest/proud Olive, I must have got some of these errors too. Occasionally, the Olive can't read a track properly, says so, and leaves you with a gap in the ripped tracks of the album, which is easily recognizable when you edit the stuff.
I never have heard bad tracks, at least I am not aware of that, so, I guess the Olive does a pretty good ripping job. Until proven false, that is.

Marc
post #1824 of 3136 Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Markrubin, did you delete my post? If so why?
post #1825 of 3136 Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you explain what you hear when you encounter an erroneous disk?
With my > 1400 cd's ripped with my modest/proud Olive, I must have got some of these errors too. Occasionally, the Olive can't read a track properly, says so, and leaves you with a gap in the ripped tracks of the album, which is easily recognizable when you edit the stuff.
I never have heard bad tracks, at least I am not aware of that, so, I guess the Olive does a pretty good ripping job. Until proven false, that is.

Marc

My one STB player (Set Top Box) that I've used the most with playback of CD discs is my 2 year old HK DMC1000. It has never given a message when I put in a CD disc that has read problems.

What I've heard is either a click (where it's clear that a second of sound is missing), or a few seconds where the sound seems to be off.

My solution has been to rip the original CD on my PC (to .wav format) and then burn the set of .wav files to a CD-R disc in redbook format.

post #1826 of 3136 Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks.

Sometimes my Olive chuckles, but that is something in the current. And sometimes it does a not-so perfect job when going from one track to the next. But I can't repeat these little mistakes.
If the Olive can't read a track properly while ripping, it will skip the track. Then it's time to let the pc do some work.

So I still think that the Olive(s) do it better than your HK DMC1000. Nevertheless, thank you for the warning.

Marc
post #1827 of 3136 Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Sometimes my Olive chuckles, but that is something in the current. And sometimes it does a not-so perfect job when going from one track to the next. But I can't repeat these little mistakes.
If the Olive can't read a track properly while ripping, it will skip the track. Then it's time to let the pc do some work.

So I still think that the Olive(s) do it better than your HK DMC1000. Nevertheless, thank you for the warning.

Marc

It's hard to make an accurate statement and still keep it short. So I'll try again.

Error correction on CD discs is limited.

There is no perfect reader of CD discs; they all are not perfect; this is true for both stand alone units (like your Olive unit and my HK unit) as well as CD reader/burner on a PC.

post #1828 of 3136 Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

As Gerry Driscoll already said: "There is no dark side of the moon really, as a matter of fact, it's all dark"

Here's another disillusion, about the uselessness of high defs downloads: http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Marc
post #1829 of 3136 Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Interesting stuff.

I have bought a few HD titles and they do sound good. Maybe its because I do believe it to be.

I play my Olive thru my Outlaw 990 processor but in "Bypass" mode. The Olive 4HD and my Oppo 93 both have better DAC''s then the now 7 year old Outlaw.

For critial listening I do buy SACD's from time to time and play them via 5.1 right into the Amp's.

I doubt I will be buying many more HD downloads as my listening habits do change. !

Im not saying I am giving up "High Fidelity" by any means, but the endless pursuit for the higher listening experience can be a mad journey and expensive. I have some very nice gear and very happy with the "hobby" but one has to keep ones self in check. Have to make sure more time is spend listening to the music then "working on it".

The Olive has changed what I listen to and how I listen to it. So much music so readily available, and a world of Internet radio also!

The premium paid for for a single HD title is perhaps not so high when you consider what you get but in a world where pricing has dropped, and content more available its a dilemma.

For example I do have a subscription to Emusic and prepaid I get to spend $16-17 per month on music. Prepay $130 once and you get a bonus to do so, but its spread out. You can always add more money. Hidden among the thousands of titles are some "100" type titles. Like "100 ambient/chill" or "100 blues masters". Same for Jazz, reggae and other types. I have very little blues titles and did purchase this selection. The quality varies because some of the songs are obviously very old. But for the price, I am getting 100 songs for $4.99. On the Patio or in the kitchen they are great to listen to! The "Ambient/Chill" sound great as do most of the modern downloads.

Its great to have such affordable choices and really build up nice inventory of sounds.

I think many of the HD recordings are great but at $18 for a single title is not a great value. Perhaps those special favorite albums it might be.

Regarding unreadable titles by the olive I pop them in my Macbook and usually it will take. They get dumped in via iTunes. Then via network import the titles. Same process I use to import downloads.

iTunes gets me the tracks on the computer and on to my iPhone or iPad or iPod if I so choose. I realize there are limitations to using this platform.

Great idea for those ripping into the computer first.

I run off a laptop and that does not work for me.

Save the Music!
post #1830 of 3136 Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Of the owners on this thread, anybody come close to filling up a 500gb? Terra? 2 Terras?

I have 11,000 tracks mostly flac and I don't think I have even filled up 250gb!

My theory is the hard drive will die before I fill it up!

I hope I don't either!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports