Originally Posted by markrubin
I spoke to a higher-up at Olive who is a Springsteen fan: his same disc worked fine in his Olive server
so I got another disc with same title: works perfectly
He said getting a CD with improper encoding is not unusual
CD discs (redbook) have long seemed to me to be more problematic for accurate reading by any CD player/reader, than DVD or SACD or DVD_A or blu-ray or HD-DVD.
Which is why I rip my CD discs on my PC via EAC (Exact Audio Copy)
All too often, even with a great CD reader/burner in the PC (e.g. Plextor PX-L890SA) EAC shows an error or errors or even an error that it can't bypass. Win7 handles it best, whereas under WinXP EAC usually craps out and WinXP then needs to be re-booted when EAC runs into more than a minor CD problem.
Roughly 2 years ago I bought a Harmon Kardon DMC1000 on closeout ($4k new) that is somewhat similar to the Olive 4HD; a physically bigger unit for sure, with a silent internal fan; what I noticed was that if the unit can't read the CD disc properly it does what all players do and ignores the error problem(s) and continues on as best it can. Of course, the result is that the ripped file on the unit's HDD has sonic problems that one can hear. It still took me more than 6 months to figure it out!
As I don't own any Olive (6HD as you do, nor 4HD, nor any other Olive), it's not clear if this is an issue for you, but it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if it indeed is an issue for you Olive owners.
Just sharing some hard won experience; suspect that it likely applies to Olive units; just not sure to what extent it applies to Olive units.