"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1891 of 3067 Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Elk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

it is still in beta

Mark, thank you for your updates and descriptions of the Beta software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 3067 Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unfortunatley, it's not available for us humble Olive Opus 4 owners...

I got this message from Opus:
Quote:

Unfortunately the current beta 4.2.0 is only available for O3HD/O4HD and O6HD.

M rc
post #1893 of 3067 Old 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM

Greetings

When running Maestro on Firefox where do you browse to get alternative album artwork?

A couple of my 2 disk sets failed to load artwork on disk 2
How can I add correct cover?

Thanks
post #1894 of 3067 Old 04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Scan & import

Marc
post #1895 of 3067 Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric KC View Post

Not related to the above, but I just found an iTunes app called MediaConnect that makes it very easy to steam from your Olive to your iOS device (iPhone in my case). If you have an Airport Express connected to a remote stereo, you can also play your Olive directly to that stereo
without the need for an Olive 2 (you do need the Airport Express however).

Some in my family have sizable iTunes libraries and. my music is on the Olive. Sp now we can easily play from either library by using the above app (for the Olive) and Apple's music app for the iTunes library. Very easy, very cool!

Its a very nice app and I used it from time to time.

I built a nice little system for my bedroom using two M&K cubes Im not using anymore and a Sub with a 2.1 amp crossover. Hooked up to my iPhone charging dock its a nice little system for the bedroom. Funny, you can play differnet tracks at the same time. For example the Olive can be playing songs in one zone and on my iPhone a different track. But, you can't synch them together!

For my hot, I have a system in the basement and can play it thru the ipod jack and it sounds great!

Its not a must have but at like $7 it was fun to see if it works. It does.
post #1896 of 3067 Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Mr. Nalod writes: Its not a must have but at like $7 it was fun to see if it works. It does.

Must not be US$ since the app is listed for $4.99. It does do a nice job and whether it is worth the money is probably a personal decision.

By the way, just received a notice that 4.2.0 is available for the rest of us. It is downloading and installing itself as I write this. I will try a backup in due course. I also have XBMC and will see if I have compatibility issues with this upgrade.
post #1897 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 332
New Software 4.2.0 now available for O3HD, O4HD, or O6HD

We are pleased to announce that the beta software version 4.2.0 is now available. If you have an O3HD, O4HD, or O6HD, please update your systems in order to gain full access to all the great new features, improvements and bug fixes.

Detailed release notes for software version :

http://www.olive.us/support/software/releasenotes.html

keep in mind this new software will require that you perform a new backup of your data to an external drive (your old backups will not work with 4.2.0)
post #1898 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Let's hope the new sw has taken care of the back-up issues. If not.......i'll reconnect my old Creek cd-player and take all my cd's back out of storage
Tim
post #1899 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM

I downloaded/installed 4.2.0 last night and started a new backup around 11:00. It was ~ 60% complete when I left for work this am. This is certainly encouraging, as I was a prior member of the "0% club". After this is complete, I plan to burn a couple more CDs and try the "incremental" backup.
post #1900 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotinus View Post

Mr. Nalod writes: Its not a must have but at like $7 it was fun to see if it works. It does.

Must not be US$ since the app is listed for $4.99. It does do a nice job and whether it is worth the money is probably a personal decision.

By the way, just received a notice that 4.2.0 is available for the rest of us. It is downloading and installing itself as I write this. I will try a backup in due course. I also have XBMC and will see if I have compatibility issues with this upgrade.

Please lets us know if XBMC works on 4.2.0. Thanks.
post #1901 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

New Software 4.2.0 now available for O3HD, O4HD, or O6HD

We are pleased to announce that the beta software version 4.2.0 is now available. If you have an O3HD, O4HD, or O6HD, please update your systems in order to gain full access to all the great new features, improvements and bug fixes.

Detailed release notes for software version :

http://www.olive.us/support/software/releasenotes.html

keep in mind this new software will require that you perform a new backup of your data to an external drive (your old backups will not work with 4.2.0)

Sadly it seems not to be available for the not-HD versions of the Olive's.
Will 4.1.9. stay the last version for the Olive 4 and 2???
post #1902 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM

OK, the backup seemed complete after I returned home from work.

Burned a few CDs and engaged the "incremental" backup.

Stuck on 0% ...

OK, after 5-10 minutes it is saying "backup complete" - so mission accomplished (in theory of course, since we have no way of viewing the files).
post #1903 of 3067 Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hede3 View Post

Please lets us know if XBMC works on 4.2.0. Thanks.

It's working here, I'm streaming tunes back off the O4HD to the computer.

ETA: Now XBMC is acting strange. I had it minimized, when I popped it back up it was just a black square with no info and no way to refresh. The playlist is still running in the black box, clicking around in there changed songs. Fairly suckish.

ETA-2: It only does this while the song is streaming. I can minimize just the GUI, no sweat. Minimize the playlist, no sweat. Start streaming a song and minimize and every time it comes back up as a black square. I haven't used XBMC much, but I don't recall this behavior before. I want to do a backup and see if I can stream the content back off just the external drive via XBMC, or if the O4HD needs to be in the loop.
post #1904 of 3067 Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM

As a follow-up to my original post. Third time is a charm, apparently. Original backup went fine, however, when I attempted to perform an incremental backup, nothing happened. I had input a few discs but the program did not acknowledge that I wanted to do a backup. It never left the initial backup screen-tried that twice with no luck. Waited overnight, input a few more discs and voila worked perfectly. Not sure if the number of discs input had anything to do with performing the backup but at long as it works, I suppose I should be grateful. The more I use this unit the more it reminds me of a temperamental sports car, think Alfa-Romeo, or Porsche or Triumph. I would say Ferrari but one must be realistic. I am not referring to the new models only the ones from many years ago.

Now for XBMC, I should probably be quiet about this because now it will probably not work. However, I must report that the program? booted up perfectly, found the files and played them just as it was supposed to. However, that is not the story. The story is the display which is extremely impressive. I will admit that I had not used XBMC to play the Olive files for any extended period of time but this time I just left the system playing the Goldberg Variations for a few minutes and when I came back, what a transformation. I was greeted by a display of the cover art, the title and artist, the track name and number and progress bar as well as a submenu along the top of the screen with the control buttons for the unit. In the middle of the screen was a graphic display of the music which was very nice but not something that I really needed. Perhaps this is the normal display but I had not seen it before and to a degree reminded me of the Boxee display but a level or two above it. Again it does not display immediately which may be why I had not seen it before but it is nice and I am not sure if it was always there or a component of the latest update.

Oh yes, finally, this works on an iMac with the latest OS installed and maximum memory. I have not tried this on a Windows machine so I cannot attest that it would work under that environment.
post #1905 of 3067 Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 332
trying XBMC (vs 10.1) on an iMac via bootcamp

all my files are FLAC : XBMC displays cover art as reported
post #1906 of 3067 Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Plotinus writes: By the way, just received a notice that 4.2.0 is available for the rest of us.

Olive's site writes
Quote:

Release notes Olive 3HD, 4/4HD, 6HD and Olive 2
Changes in software version O.4.2.0, released 04/23/12

Olive care writes:
Quote:

Olive version 4.2.0 will not be compatible with the Olive 4. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Marc writes: damn!
post #1907 of 3067 Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 AM

Got the new update and did a back up.

No problems.

After 3 hours it was 25% complete and went to bed.

By morning it was done. Old way took 14 hours. I only have 250GB full.

Nice improvement by Olive.

I'll back up more frequently which is always a good thing!
post #1908 of 3067 Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Hello everybody!

I read most of this long forum to backup my Olive3 on a HDD in its encoded format.

All my files are encoded in FLAC, so I cannot use itunes, I tried to use XBMC.

Once I opened the File manager between a HDD and the olive, and try to copy an album, it starts, I confirm the copy, the status is "loading directory" and then I have a message indicating:
Failed to copy at least one file
Operation was aborted

This happens for all albums, artists, etc. It makes me think that a setting is wrong somewhere, but where? Any idea?

If anybody experienced this and solved this, I would be very happy!

Thanks for your help,
Have a nice music time,
Rikow
post #1909 of 3067 Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Just received a survey from Olive on the update. Be careful. Unless I did something wrong, it is only one multiple choice question with space to comment below. So if you want to vent your frustrations, put everything on your mind in the box below the answer before you hit return because that's all she wrote. Tried to go back but the robot said I had already completed the survey. Pity-I had more to say but I did make a few comments. That foreign car analogy is becoming stronger with every passing day.
post #1910 of 3067 Old 05-03-2012, 08:27 AM

XBMC backup works on 4.2.0 with XBMC 10.1. I will try with XBMC 11 and see if it works later.
post #1911 of 3067 Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Happy again. After update backup works like dream. 1.45 hrs per GB.
Made a second back up just in case
Tim
post #1912 of 3067 Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 View Post

Happy again. After update backup works like dream. 1.45 hrs per GB.
Made a second back up just in case
Tim

100gb I mean
post #1913 of 3067 Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM

Can't find it on the Olive site. Will it play FLAC Image+CUE? Thanks.
post #1914 of 3067 Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Silly questions

Can you use the 4HD as a CD player?
Tried with no joy
Stored files play fine

Can you mix flac and wave files as saved files on the 4HD?

Thanks
post #1915 of 3067 Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hede3 View Post

XBMC backup works on 4.2.0 with XBMC 10.1. I will try with XBMC 11 and see if it works later.

Thanks a lot!
XBMC 11.0 doesn't work for me, but I was able to save my FLAC collection with the version 10.1!
Thank you very much!

Rikow
post #1916 of 3067 Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Just completed another incremental backup. Took about 10 or 15 minutes. Piece of cake :-)
post #1917 of 3067 Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3putt View Post

Silly questions

Can you use the 4HD as a CD player?
Tried with no joy
Stored files play fine

Can you mix flac and wave files as saved files on the 4HD?

Thanks

You should be able to play CDs. Not sure why that is not working for you right now. It is okay to mix file types. I have FLAC, WAV and MP3s loaded on mine.
post #1918 of 3067 Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder, am I the only one here left with the old fashioned (vintage) Opus 4?

Marc
post #1919 of 3067 Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Liked: 11
Drawing on some good work from mumsoft, I've found a way of copying my music off the Olive on a Windows computer - complete with metadata and with separate folders for the different CDs.

I thought I would post it here, so it's available to everyone.

First, I made a backup on a portable harddrive. (This was made using Olive's old firmware, but I assume it will still work with the new firmware).

Second, I connected the harddrive to my pc and copied the files. As the Olive uses Linux, it is is necessary to mount the drive using special software. I used DiscInternals Linux Reader (which is freeware). Google for discinternals. The main files containing the music are a series of 2GB files named audiolibrarybackup.taraa, audiolibrarybackup.tarab etc. I copied all the files onto my hard disc - I had to copy them in batches of 40 files or so, as the software was very slow 'enumerating the files' (as it described it). These files, when combined, are one large zip archive.

Third, I concatenated all the files together. (I found opening audiolibrarybackup.taraa only opened the music in this file - not the others. I think Mumsoft, who was using Linux, didn't need to do this - but I could be wrong)

To do this, you go to the command line prompt (type cmd.exe in the search box), then navigate to the correct directory. (cd is the change directory command; the drive letter followed by colon changes drive. So type d: then return, then cd \\music\\olive to navigate to drive d and a subdirectory olive in a directory music)

You then type the command copy /y /b audiolibrarybackup.tar* combined.tar

This combines all the files into one single file called combined.tar. This will take some time.

Finally, you use 7-zip to open and extract all the files from combined.tar.

I've been using compressed flac. In my case, the files were contained in separate folders for each cd (except the files which had been copied from my computer - which were in an imported folder). The flac files contained both the metadata and artwork when opened in Mediamonkey.

All of this takes a while and a lot of hard disc space (as you wind up with 3 copies of your music). You can delete the original files after combining them if this is a problem.

No warranties given, but hopefully this will work for everyone. Obviously, this only applies to Windows computer - but I suspect you could adapt this to a Mac.

Cheers
Gareth
post #1920 of 3067 Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 AM

Liked: 15
Hi mumsoft - you are not the only one! I'm an owner of two olive 4 and two melody 2 players. I'm frustrated about the update politics of Olive and do not understand, what makes it difficult to run the 4.2 firmware on the Olive 4 players. I guess that 4.1.9 was the last update for us
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page