"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 3078 Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Opus 4 internal DAC can't handle anything higher than 16bit/44100Hz files. However, I was able to play every Gimell test file including the 24bit/96000Hz file through the digitial out to my external DacMagic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abq-Pete View Post

zbrett (or anyone else using an external dac),

Have you tried any other music downloads with different sampling rates? I noticed in an earlier post, you mentioned that you successfully sent both 96kHz/24bit and 44.1kHz/24-bit FLAC files to your DacMagic (mentioned here). May I ask that you try some of the following?

http://www.gimell.com/musicstore-dow...est-files.aspx

I am particularly interested in the 88.2 and 48 sampling rate items. The DacMagic supports all these rates.

I was set to purchase a Slim Devices Transporter as it supports all these rates. If the Melody / Opus can handle these then the cost will be less than the Transporter with what seems to be an easier to use and prettier interface.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards, Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3078 Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 AM

zbrett,

Thanks for checking this out for me!

Regards, Peter
post #183 of 3078 Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
And thank you for the link...

Marc
post #184 of 3078 Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Tot uw dienst...

Regards, Peter
post #185 of 3078 Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm pretty surprised that their internal DAC can't handle anything above 16/44 content in this day and age. Unless you're getting into some tweaky audiophile non-oversampling DACs (i.e. AudioNote, 47 Labs Shigaraki, etc.), pretty much every DAC on the market for the last several years can handle at least 24/96, if not higher. I don't know if you can even buy a 16/44 DAC anymore; I believe most of the NOS DACs use an 18/48 Analog Devices chip since 16/44 DAC chips are no longer being produced. I'd be curious to know what DAC the Opus No. 4 is using internally (though I'd only be using the digital output in my case); has anyone opened their unit up? I'm guessing the limitation is somewhere else in the system and not with the DAC chip used.
post #186 of 3078 Old 03-12-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I did some experimenting with my Opus, Melody, DacMagic and high resolution files today, and here are some highlights.

I was able to stream all of the Gimell test FLAC files (up to 24/96) across my network from the Opus to the Melody, and play them using the digital out on the Melody into the DacMagic. I was also able to stream mp3 and m4a files from the Opus to the Melody without any issues.

The MV2020 is a different matter. It does not support FLAC, so I was unable to try that. I was able to stream mp3s and wav files from the MV2020 to the Melody, but in both cases the artwork is missing. I was unable to stream m4a files or wma files even though the MV2020 supposedly supports those formats.

Now, I don't know if the issues with the MV2020 are the MV2020 or the Melody. I get the impression the UPNP/DMA standard is not really locked down, so incompatibilities between "compatible" devices is not uncommon. The HP website only shows a handful of Digital Media Adapter devices that are compatible with the MV2020.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3193058

So, if someone is thinking of purchasing a Melody with the intention of using it to stream files from a UPNP/DMA server, I would give Olive a call first and see if they have any insight into which UPNP/DMA devices work and don't work with the Melody.

FYI - I had Twonky installed on the MV2020 at one point, but deinstalled it when I got the Opus. I ran out of time today, so trying the MV2020 with Twonky will have to wait. I'll let you know when I have a chance to re-install Twonky on the MV2020.
post #187 of 3078 Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe a better DAC is planned in the (hopefully) upcoming Opus No.6?

There is no technical specification anywhere in the User Manual, even at The Importing section (5.2) there is no mention about the resolution.

Marc
post #188 of 3078 Old 03-12-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Maybe a better DAC is planned in the (hopefully) upcoming Opus No.6?

Marc

post #189 of 3078 Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM

zbrett,

Thanks for the very thorough testing. I appreciate your putting yourself out to provide information on this line of products. It looks like there are varying degrees of support for the DLNA/uPnP standards and that interoperability is not guaranteed. As such, it seems a bit of a crapshoot if different devices will work properly together.

I've decided to go with the Transporter and may revisit the Olive stuff later

Regards, Peter
post #190 of 3078 Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

It's not so much a problem with the DLNA/UPnP standards, but with lacking standards for metadata stuff, like 'composer', 'artwork', playing order, character code, etc.
This is why the Opus works best with it's Melody. They use a proprietary 'standard', by all means just as the Transporter does with the Slim server.

My Ziova CS 510 plays all the music it gets from the Opus, but it plays them in alphabetic sort order, and can't see the contents of some albums, probably due to 'foreign' characters.
But with the Slim Server, my Ziova would definitely do nothing.

So much for open standards.

Marc
post #191 of 3078 Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I re-installed Twonky 4.4 on my HP MV2020 and was able to stream all of the Gimell FLAC test files (including 24/96) to the Melody and play them through the DacMagic. Only issue is that the artwork doesn't show up with the FLAC files.

I was also able to stream MP3 and WMA files from the HP MV2020 via Twonky, and the cover art does show up on the Melody for both MP3 and WMA files.

Twonky doesn't support M4A files, so no go there. For some reason I couldn't get the WAV files to play, even though Twonky is suppose to support them.
post #192 of 3078 Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think from my experience you would be in pretty good shape if you used Twonky with the Melody/DacMagic. The "new" HP MV2 MediaServer runs Twonky. The older MV1 (what I have) runs Syabas, and HP has not provided an update.

I'm going to download a free trial of the Twonky 5 and run on my PC to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abq-Pete View Post

zbrett,

Thanks for the very thorough testing. I appreciate your putting yourself out to provide information on this line of products. It looks like there are varying degrees of support for the DLNA/uPnP standards and that interoperability is not guaranteed. As such, it seems a bit of a crapshoot if different devices will work properly together.

I've decided to go with the Transporter and may revisit the Olive stuff later

Regards, Peter

post #193 of 3078 Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good news. I was able to stream the FLAC test files using the latest version of Twonky 5 on my Windows Vista 64 machine to the Melody, and the cover art works. Pretty easy to navigate too. The only issue is that it takes a moment for the song info to come up after the music has started.

The bad news is that while the current version of Twonky 5 can stream FLAC to DLNA devices, it does not support playing FLAC files on the PC yet. They are aware of the issue, and are working on a solution.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6203

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

I think from my experience you would be in pretty good shape if you used Twonky with the Melody/DacMagic. The "new" HP MV2 MediaServer runs Twonky. The older MV1 (what I have) runs Syabas, and HP has not provided an update.

I'm going to download a free trial of the Twonky 5 and run on my PC to see what happens.

post #194 of 3078 Old 03-13-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In case you missed it...

New features:

* New network setup
* Danish language support

Software bug fixes:

* CD track recognition w/o network access works now
* Audio volume drop in left/righ channel has been resolved
* Wireless network recognition has been improved
* MAESTRO software
o Supports now more than 64 album covers
o Composer are displayed correctly
o Problems of editing multiple metadata fields has been resolved
post #195 of 3078 Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Good news. I was able to stream the FLAC test files using the latest version of Twonky 5 on my Windows Vista 64 machine to the Melody, and the cover art works. Pretty easy to navigate too. The only issue is that it takes a moment for the song info to come up after the music has started.

The bad news is that while the current version of Twonky 5 can stream FLAC to DLNA devices, it does not support playing FLAC files on the PC yet. They are aware of the issue, and are working on a solution.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6203

zbrett,

Olive better give you some free stuff for doing all this testing for them! Thanks again.

Regards, Peter
post #196 of 3078 Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Zbret, are you sure that the Melody can handle the hirez testfiles, or to say it differently, are you sure that Twonky does not reduce the format to plain cd-quality?
I find it rather queer that the Melody can handle more formats than the Opus No.4.

In contrast, in the FAQ I read:
Quote:

What audio formats can the OPUS and MELODY play?

AIFF, WAV, FLAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, and AAC with sampling rates from 11,000 to 96,000 Hz.

Marc
post #197 of 3078 Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm was running all the Gimell FLAC test files from Twonky over the network via a PC -> Melody (via digital output) -> DacMagic -> Amp. The internal Melody/Opus DAC can't handle anything higher than 16/44.

If you are thinking about a Slim Devices Transporter, or Opus for that matter, and want to use FLAC and MP3, a Melody with a DacMagic and Twonky is a less expensive alternative at around $1050. The only issue is that Twonky doesn't support M4A files, which I find a bit strange.

Quote:

Zbret, are you sure that the Melody can handle the hirez testfiles, or to say it differently, are you sure that Twonky does not reduce the format to plain cd-quality?
I find it rather queer that the Melody can handle more formats than the Opus No.4.

In contrast, in the FAQ I read:

Marc

post #198 of 3078 Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In case you missed it...

New features:

* New network setup
* Danish language support

Software bug fixes:

* CD track recognition w/o network access works now
* Audio volume drop in left/righ channel has been resolved
* Wireless network recognition has been improved
* MAESTRO software
o Composer are displayed correctly
o Problems of editing multiple metadata fields has been resolved

Of course I missed it. Thanks for the info.
The information:
caused me hoping they did away with all the 64-limitations. But alas...

There is no trace of the symphonies 2-9. This is in genre-classical.
I don't know about the other limits, does anyone?

Marc
post #199 of 3078 Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I haven't run into any other limitations. I would drop an email to Olive about what you discovered.

I discovered a bug in the Album Artwork section of Maestro. If the album name starts with a special character, for instance a dash - or question mark ?, you are unable to see the songs in the bottom table. When I removed these characters from the album title, the issue went away.

One other thing. For some reason the album artwork doesn't like albums that start with the letter "Z." For example, I have U2's Zooropa album on the Opus, and while it shows up fine under Genres, Album Name and Artists, it shows up as "unknown title" in album artwork. I tried editing the album while in Album Artwork and it didn't make a difference.

I've already notified Olive of these two issues.

Quote:

Of course I missed it. Thanks for the info.
The information:
caused me hoping they did away with all the 64-limitations. But alas...

There is no trace of the symphonies 2-9. This is in genre-classical.
I don't know about the other limits, does anyone?

Marc

post #200 of 3078 Old 03-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:

One other thing. For some reason the album artwork doesn't like albums that start with the letter "Z." For example, I have U2's Zooropa album on the Opus, and while it shows up fine under Genres, Album Name and Artists, it shows up as "unknown title" in album artwork. I tried editing the album while in Album Artwork and it didn't make a difference.

Are you discussing album art that you've loaded yourself? I still have such a poor success rate of any album art showing up for CDs I import via the Olive that the album art feature is useless for me.
post #201 of 3078 Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've kind of avoided the whole album artwork issues buy ripping my CDs with EAC, editing the metadata in Media Monkey and importing over the network.

In this case I imported Zooropa over the network. I also tried importing the CD directly on the Opus, and still had the problem. In this instance the album artwork was correct when I imported the CD directly in to the Opus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr View Post

Are you discussing album art that you've loaded yourself? I still have such a poor success rate of any album art showing up for CDs I import via the Olive that the album art feature is useless for me.

post #202 of 3078 Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:

I've kind of avoided the whole album artwork issues buy ripping my CDs with EAC, editing the metadata in Media Monkey and importing over the network.

I'm likely going to be moving in this direction. It's too bad, as importing via the Olive is the most convenient method for me.
post #203 of 3078 Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Kinda OT... but I like u guys.

Just got an iphone. Whats the best way I can get the music off my external drive (not Olives) into itunes? Everythings gotta be encodded to mp3 from flac... just not sure how to do this.
post #204 of 3078 Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

MediaMonkey will allow you to convert FLAC to MP3. Tools -> Convert Audio Format, follow the instructions. You could also use BonkEnc to convert from FLAC to M4A/ACC (what I do) which is the native iPod format and is a bit better than MP3 in compression and sound quality (just Google BonkEnc and you'll find it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Kinda OT... but I like u guys.

Just got an iphone. Whats the best way I can get the music off my external drive (not Olives) into itunes? Everythings gotta be encodded to mp3 from flac... just not sure how to do this.

post #205 of 3078 Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MediaMonkey will allow you to convert FLAC to MP3. Tools -> Convert Audio Format, follow the instructions. You could also use BonkEnc to convert from FLAC to M4A/ACC (what I do) which is the native iPod format and is a bit better than MP3 in compression and sound quality (just Google BonkEnc and you'll find it).

Thanks Z. Do you use itunes or Media monkey to sync?
post #206 of 3078 Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

iTunes, since it also syncs up other info like calendar, contacts, apps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Thanks Z. Do you use itunes or Media monkey to sync?

post #207 of 3078 Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!
post #208 of 3078 Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
With the current version of Media Monkey (Gold, not standard) you can set it up to convert from FLAC (or another incompatible format) to something else for the iPhone on the fly. Under Tools -> Options -> Portable Audio Devices -> Select your iPhone and choose Configure -> Auto-Conversion. I haven't looked into getting Apple Lossless to work in Media Monkey yet since I store everything as FLAC, but if you could get that working (not sure if it's possible, and quick searching seems to indicate no) then you could keep the files lossless. I just convert to 320k mp3's for the moment myself, and it works great.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Displays Editor,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #209 of 3078 Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

With the current version of Media Monkey (Gold, not standard) you can set it up to convert from FLAC (or another incompatible format) to something else for the iPhone on the fly. Under Tools -> Options -> Portable Audio Devices -> Select your iPhone and choose Configure -> Auto-Conversion. I haven't looked into getting Apple Lossless to work in Media Monkey yet since I store everything as FLAC, but if you could get that working (not sure if it's possible, and quick searching seems to indicate no) then you could keep the files lossless. I just convert to 320k mp3's for the moment myself, and it works great.

Thanks I'll check it out!
post #210 of 3078 Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys... got it all set. This iphone is amazing. One issue, using Bonkenc didnt seem to save my artwork from all my flac files, and itunes had to do it. I think I read something that some formats cant carry that info.... just checking?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page