"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #2941 of 3445 Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

@ Tinga 223...

Indeed the backup files/drive with the Olive backup will not be "recognized" by your windows computer. You will also not be able to load the backup music files into a Windows system.. So kind of propriety music files hid by Olive.... The same with any computer connected to your local network, they will typically not see the Olive music files.. There is a way to see your Olive files from a (windows) computer though. You should load the freeware XMBC. with this program you will not only be able to see the music on your Olive from any Windows computer, you can also copy the music files to a (windows readable) file....

@ others, regarding the FW. I get more and more confirmations that indeed the Olive 06Hd has lower grade FW versions. The FW 3.0 seems to be only for the Olive 03HD and the Olive 04HD. So I assume the 06 will have fewer issues with the full recovery file from Olive. But still....

be carefull with your Olive 03HD and your Olive 04HD... if you have FW 3.0 (and you should if you have Software 4.3.2) do not use the Olive recovery file with 4.3.0 software..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3445 Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Hi. Just brought a 4HD from ebay for 1/4 the new price, have not hookup yet. Not sure what Im getting into after reading this forum in ramdom pages. My general feeling is that the support is very poor from Olive, Its funny how they do businness in suggesting to existing owners to buy a new upgraded unit rather then supporting existing customers and trying rectify the failed unit. Just checked the android app, no update since release, still version 1, 2011 after so many complaint about various bugs, (the ways I look at it is Olive is simply ignoring user complaints).
By reading this official OLIVE thread and the official OPPO thread, how the 2 company is at the opposite extreme of customers support.
My main concern is that I will rip all my CDs using 4HD into olive HDD and be able to back it up using a external USB HDD for future use on different server incase Olive die, because ripping process is tedious and I want to avoid doing the process again. Thanks
post #2943 of 3445 Old 04-29-2014, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Why not riping the CD first on your computer, make all the corrections, so you have a backup for any not only a Olive device and then import it with Maestro?

You risk your cd rom drive with many rips...almost every second fails time to time..

post #2944 of 3445 Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 AM

Hi Berni. Yes you are right, its much easier using a PC for the ripping and tagging. Is it true that olive only able to read HDD formatted in fat32. Cheers
post #2945 of 3445 Old 04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You can use a pc if you don't need the Olive way of tagging.

Marc
post #2946 of 3445 Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudioguru View Post

polarbear...the reason your app never updated automatically was that Olive never updated the app. The app was made in 2011 and never saw an update. So, there wasn't any reason for you to uninstall and reinstall the app. As far as I know anyway this is correct. I have the Olive app on both my iphone 3GS and my Dell Venue 7 (android) and they never updated that app either.

As far as I understand the new Olive app will ONLY work on the new Olive One device, so that won't help you either.

I've never used any of the third party apps, so I really can't comment, but post #2911 above, has several mentioned.

Good luck and sorry...

Thanks for the help audioguru/// I decided to experiment using the Sitecom controller on my ipad.. works fine but limited...oh well..

I'll see if i can extract a deleted app file of the remote in my ipad...

HOpefully Olive makes their ipad/iphone remotes backward compatible..
post #2947 of 3445 Old 04-30-2014, 05:20 AM

Hi. Could someone able to confirm if the 4hd encrypted all music files.
If using a 2tb usb drive format in fat32 to backup all files from 4hd, could i be able to use the backup usb drive and plug into other music players. Or is the backup wav and flac files from olive only works on
olive?. Thanks
post #2948 of 3445 Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
jaydee...see post #2941 above. The backup drive can only be used by the Olive, but you can, with a little work and computer knowledge, get them out and into a different drive.
post #2949 of 3445 Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 AM

I just ripped a couple of CDs for testing, it worked but the process is very slow. I timed it from insert to spit out the CD took about 12 min. For this reason and encrypted files that olive used. I will definitely using PC to rip and manage cover art and taggings.
post #2950 of 3445 Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 11
Many thanks for all your replies guys!

I was about to try the XBMC option mentioned above but came across an old reply about EXT2 file system installer for Windows, that one didn't work for Windows 7 but this one did...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/?source=dlp.

Mounted the drive with it, used Windows Explorer and copied it to a Windows NTFS drive no problems.
I'm pretty sure you all know about this and use it but finding specific info in this thread is getting harder and harder so hopefully this can help somebody in the future.

Again, thanks for your help...
Now I just wait for this thing to crap out completely and start over with some new adventure @
clpetersen likes this.
post #2951 of 3445 Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinga233 View Post

Many thanks for all your replies guys!

I was about to try the XBMC option mentioned above but came across an old reply about EXT2 file system installer for Windows, that one didn't work for Windows 7 but this one did...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/?source=dlp.

Mounted the drive with it, used Windows Explorer and copied it to a Windows NTFS drive no problems.
I'm pretty sure you all know about this and use it but finding specific info in this thread is getting harder and harder so hopefully this can help somebody in the future.

Again, thanks for your help...
Now I just wait for this thing to crap out completely and start over with some new adventure @

Congratulations, Tinga . You might notice that the folder names are hexadecimal numbers, but any program that can read music files should correctly identify them and import into a new library.

Perhaps it is time to start a new thread: "Life after Olive", actually that gives more importance to Olive that it deserves. Perhaps "Alternatives to Olive". Recently a poster here migrated over to Vortex box; I have been leaning towards JRiver running on a mac-mini. Now there is BlueSound from NAD, which is a high-res alternative to SONOS.
post #2952 of 3445 Old 05-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Jriver media player recognizes the Flac files in the folders and imports them using the embedded ID3 tags of each file with no problem.
I used MP3 tag editor to batch convert each folder from the numbered flac files to their actual tagged names and it worked great with an absolute minimum of typing which I like.

I too am looking at Vortexbox as a possibility down the road as it seems like its Open source is going to keep it around for awhile, not sure if I want any sort of proprietary system that can leave you hanging if the company decides to go in another direction ala Olive, also it seems you can have good quality with a much lower price tag.
If I knew anything about hardware and Linux I'm pretty sure this Olive case could be hacked into a Vortexbox solution but definitely beyond me at this point.
post #2953 of 3445 Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 AM

Hi,

I have an OLIVE 4HD. Last month, I bought on 2nd hand market an OLIVE 2 to listen music in another room with WIFI. My problem is to connect these players together. OLIVE 4HD is able to connect with any network or Android smartphone (mine and neighbours too) and the OLIVE 2 too. With ethernet network it works but no in WIFI ! When I search about WIFI network on OLIVE 2 physically close to OLIVE 4HD, it appear "no network" on the screen.

Could you please help me (and excuse me too for my poor english !) ?

Laurent

post #2954 of 3445 Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM

You need to set up the 02 as either a "wired" or "wireless" unit. I don't think you can have both active at the same time. I know that's how my 04HD works.
post #2955 of 3445 Old 05-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks for your answer. I did it. It was only a trial to connect it by ethernet network, just to know if it's work by wires.

post #2956 of 3445 Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just for information.
I’ve seen a few references to windows 8 and Olive HD systems. Well, I’ve recently installed a Windows 8.1 PC at home and it can confirm that it has the ability in Windows Explorer to see the whole of my Olive 06HD system as you would using the ipad app. The Albums, Artists, Composers, Tracks and even play lists are all listed with full metadata and with album art appearing in the Explorer Window.
You can play any track from Explorer through you PC system.

You can also copy the music files to the computer but this is not great form me as all of my Olive music is present as .wav files and although I get a copy in an artist / album directory structure there is no Meta data associated with the file including important things like track number. Perhaps with a .flac based system more would come through.

I guess overall it is very similar to XBMC program access but directly from Windows itself.
Allan.
post #2957 of 3445 Old 05-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think my Opus 4's motherboard has failed and Olive has no spares or technical support to speak of. Therefore I'm going to sell it 'as is' to anyone that wants it for parts or can possibly repair it. $100 plus shipping and it's yours. I plan to post the sale in the classified area and eBay.
post #2958 of 3445 Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear0104 View Post

Guys,

i deleted my ipad app last night thinking i could reinstall it from the apple app store, only to find out that the app is no longer available.

i do this delete/reinstall routine a few times a year to update the content in my remote (since it never automatically does)..

question: where else can i get the olive remote app? i visited the olive website is i'm learning a new app is on the way but not sure when..

i've read some 3rd party app to consider but haven't really tried any...

any suggestions please?

thanks

I recently upgraded my iPhone and thought my old apps were in the 'cloud' but it turns out only the purchased apps. So, I thought, based on posts here, that the Olive app for the HD systems was lost. However, I tried a search on the app store for 'olive media' and the app is in fact there and downloadable. You won't find it by searching just for 'olive' however.
post #2959 of 3445 Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post

I recently upgraded my iPhone and thought my old apps were in the 'cloud' but it turns out only the purchased apps. So, I thought, based on posts here, that the Olive app for the HD systems was lost. However, I tried a search on the app store for 'olive media' and the app is in fact there and downloadable. You won't find it by searching just for 'olive' however.

You're right! I just checked and it's indeed there. I searched and searched and searched before and couldn't find it. I had saved it to my computer just in case, but it's good to know that's it's still available. Thanks for post!
post #2960 of 3445 Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberz View Post

Just for information.
I’ve seen a few references to windows 8 and Olive HD systems. Well, I’ve recently installed a Windows 8.1 PC at home and it can confirm that it has the ability in Windows Explorer to see the whole of my Olive 06HD system as you would using the ipad app. The Albums, Artists, Composers, Tracks and even play lists are all listed with full metadata and with album art appearing in the Explorer Window.
You can play any track from Explorer through you PC system.

You can also copy the music files to the computer but this is not great form me as all of my Olive music is present as .wav files and although I get a copy in an artist / album directory structure there is no Meta data associated with the file including important things like track number. Perhaps with a .flac based system more would come through.

I guess overall it is very similar to XBMC program access but directly from Windows itself.
Allan.

XBMC update for Mac - some time ago I looked at XBMC as a way to extract files off the Olive HD. It crashed too often. Recently, I downloaded an updated version and had better success. Not perfect, but tolerable. So:

1) set up XBMC to copy files - file manager tab under the system tab.
2) Input: set the Olive was the input ('A' column) Note: occasionally it takes some seconds to get the Olive connection to establish, but it always does. Wake-up the Olive if needed.
3) Select the destination in the 'B' column. Note: if you don't select a destination, copy won't be allowed
4) Select the files to copy over, then right-click and select copy.

Here is where is gets 'tolerable'. My experience is that you could copy over about 30-50 albums at a time, then something hiccups and XBMC will shut down. No clue. The transfer rates are very slow, about 5 MB/s over a wired connection. So I did groups of files in the evening and again in the morning. I would re-copy the last album that was transferred at the end of the previous run, just to be safe. So, copied over about 500 CD's worth over in a few days, without sitting at the Mac longer than it took to launch the routine.

5) as noted in other posts, the individual tracks will be copied, minus the .flac extension (if you ripped in flac). All artwork, etc., comes over, excluding Maestro edits (see numerous posts on this)

6) On the Mac, there is a utility called 'Automator' which allows you to set up a batch-edit workflow to append '.flac' to every track. Easy, step-by step set-up. Try it on a sample folder or two. Takes a few seconds to run.

At the end of this, you will have a 'human readable' and machine readable set of folders for a portable music library.

Checking re-imported files against copies I had originally ripped on the MAC using XLD then txfrd to the Olive, showed perfect matches.
post #2961 of 3445 Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 AM

I had problems with my Olive and I switched to the Naim Unitiserve. It was great for about a year but this week it is no longer recognized by any of my devices and had basically taken itself off line. When I restart it just flashes the front logo at me. Apparently this is quite a common problem with the unitiserve and requires factory intervention.

I am getting quite frustrated with audio servers - I wish they weren't so convenient (when they work!). My Mac mini and and drive work OK and have proven quite reliable but just don't have the simplicity of the NAIM. When will someone build a bombproof RAID enabled audio server!
post #2962 of 3445 Old 05-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

If these audio servers were open minded, just as my pc is, they would be great fun, for a long time. But even my pc needed a new motherboard a few years ago, which was no problem because there is so much to choose from. But your Naim or Olive have proprietary motherboards (I guess, at least they are less common). You could be glad that your Naim probably can be repaired, while most Olives will bite the dust forever if the motherboard or other unique part fails.
I.m.h.o. RAID will do nothing good for us. It makes noise, it uses too much energy, and you still will want to replace the disks now and then.
So, if it is the disk that fails, it ought not be such a problem to replace it, without 'factory intervention'.

Marc
post #2963 of 3445 Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Hi Folks,

I have an 03HD which is a year old and has the same issues as discussed in this post... stuck on system start up.

I connected the olive up to a PC running Linux and copied all my music off which was a great relief.

However the restore process via the USB will not complete. Looking at the two files in linux, it would appear the ODBInstall file is corrupted. I downloaded it twice from Olive and you can’t extract it. I tried a few different Zip unpackers and all came up with the same error.

Does anyone have a good copy of the ODBInstall.tar.gz they can post on this forum?

Thanks

post #2964 of 3445 Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandnagas View Post

Hi Folks,
I have an 03HD which is a year old and has the same issues as discussed in this post... stuck on system start up.

I connected the olive up to a PC running Linux and copied all my music off which was a great relief.
However the restore process via the USB will not complete. Looking at the two files in linux, it would appear the ODBInstall file is corrupted. I downloaded it twice from Olive and you can’t extract it. I tried a few different Zip unpackers and all came up with the same error.

Does anyone have a good copy of the ODBInstall.tar.gz they can post on this forum?
Thanks

I have a good copy, have used to do a couple of restores for myself and other forum members. It is a large file. I can transfer to a flash drive. Send a PM.
However, it is the 06HD version. Not sure how that will play, but shouldn't hurt to try.
post #2965 of 3445 Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Imho that ODBinstall thing is just to install ODB on your device, in a recovery. And if I'm not wrong, ODB is just the the freedb-database at a certain moment.
MY first bet with a stuck Olive, and a Linux pc at hand, is to (there we go again) fsck sdx2, sdx3, sdx5 and ultimately sdx7 with x= b or c or whatever letter is given to the Olive disk with your Linux.
If anything is wrong here, it is the most possible cause of the problem.

Marc
post #2966 of 3445 Old 05-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in New Zealand so sending it could be an issue. Any chance you can upload to Onedrive or Google docs and share so I can download?

Thanks so much for the help

post #2967 of 3445 Old 05-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Thanks yes I will try that. That was next on my list. Can the olive run without the ODB? I guess it just downloads new data when it needs to?

Or is there a location from the ODB provider where you can get the latest copy?

Cheers

post #2968 of 3445 Old 05-12-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks yes I will try that. That was next on my list. Can the olive run without the ODB? I guess it just downloads new data when it needs to?
Or is there a location from the ODB provider where you can get the latest copy?

Cheers

Don't know. I never tried that, and it is still my guess that the odb.dat in the Olive contains a version of the cmdb.
The Olives once had a menu item to update the ODB, but that never worked, and is gone now.

My old Olive has CD DD version 1.2.3. while my newer Olive has 1.3.2
The old Olive has odb.dat from 25/07/08 and is 7.8GB big.
The newer Olive has a much smaller file, 48 KB and is dated 18/01/11. Both are Olive Opus 4's

Having said that, I don't think there is anything wrong with your odb.dat. It is not touched, not updated, and sits there for read-only access.
I can remember that I have downloaded the odbinstall once, could not open it, and discarded it for being of no use for me.

Marc
post #2969 of 3445 Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 PM

After much frustration I finally have my Olive working again!
Even after several failed attempts at the restore, and running fsck on all the partitions it would not restore.

So..........with the Olive HDD connected to my PC running Linux(Koppix) I formatted the HDD. Once that was complete, I created a single partition(possibly irrelevant). Then I shut down the PC connected the HDD back in the Olive and commenced a restore of the USB.
That worked first time.
So maybe anyone out there with the same problem can give this a try.
post #2970 of 3445 Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:

After much frustration I finally have my Olive working again!
Even after several failed attempts at the restore, and running fsck on all the partitions it would not restore.

So..........with the Olive HDD connected to my PC running Linux(Koppix) I formatted the HDD. Once that was complete, I created a single partition(possibly irrelevant). Then I shut down the PC connected the HDD back in the Olive and commenced a restore of the USB.
That worked first time.
So maybe anyone out there with the same problem can give this a try.

Excellent. Thanks for posting that; very good information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page