AVS Forum banner

"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD

645K views 4K replies 330 participants last post by  vincent.buuron 
#1 ·
This thread is for the discussion, questions and sharing of information regarding the new Olive products produced since mid-2007 to present (Opus 4. Olive 4, Olive 4 HD, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, etc).

If you are looking for information or to discuss the original Olive models based on the Hifidelio units (Symphony, Musica, Opus 3, Opus 5), please visit this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=703405 There is some previous discussion of the newer models in this older thread as well.

Here is (one) of my current systems:

Olive 4 HD (connected to network via the Ethernet port)

Cambridge Audio 840AV2 Amplifier,

Cambridge Audio 340T Tuner

Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC attached to Olive 4 HD and DMP-BD35

B&W 683 Loudspeakers

HSU VFT2-MK3 Subwoofer

Panasonic DMP-BD35

Toshiba 26AV500U

Logitech Harmony 550 remote

I also have a Melody 2 which is attached to a small system in the garage. The Melody 2 is also hardwired.

I acquired an Opus 4 in August 2007, and the Melody 2 shortly thereafter. I upgraded to the Olive 4 HD in 2/2010.

So let the discussion begin (or continue).

See less See more
#3,522 ·
Great idea, GJ. I'm a complete noob with PHP, but I will try your php tools to get a feeling for it, and in the mean time I try to get some skills with codecadamy. :cool:

When you insert a USB-disk in the Olive, a menu pops up with several entries, among them Backup and Restore. It would be so nice if I could replace these with my own procedures. :)

Marc

#3,523 ·
Okay. That's it. Bye bye Olive O3HD. No more half finished, slow software with quirks, incompatibilities and regular crashes. Bye bye wild and somewhat desperate plans to get the creaking source code from Olive and at least fix the bugs.

Welcome Bluesound Vault 2. Holy cr*p. Flawlessly working, responsive (IOS) software. And the sound : wow ! I was definitely not prepared for this big a difference. After listening to the O3HD for over two years, and now to the Vault 2, I could not believe my ears. It's like the mist has lifted. More detail, more air. Blown away. And this is with a Stax SR-007 and SRM-727 II, so I think one can tell for sure.

EOT

#3,524 ·
Glad to hear this! That was the machine I was looking at. My Olive 04HD is still working (half-assed, but still functional). I wasn't sure the Series 2 Bluesounds were out yet.

Did you have to rerip all of your CDs into the Bluesound or did you find a way to copy all the files from your 03 over?

Since the advent of Tidal, I really haven't used my 04HD that much. Maybe it's time to just switch completely over to a streamer and say adios to the server??? :cool:

#3,526 ·
I don't trust these HD Olives. An audiofriend of me came over to listen to my humble set and after that bought himself an Olive 3HD.
It took him almost 3 years to get the thing sing!
I don't trust HD. It makes the Olive burdensome, loaded with unneeded gear.
Tidal promised to broadcast MQA-tracks, that at least looks promising, but is still missing, if I'm not mistaking. ;-)

Can a Vault do something good for classical music? I guess not.
Nothing can beat a much beloved and corrected Olive 4, not an Olive xHD, not an Olive 1, not a Vault of any sort.

If Roodkapje doesn't believe this, he is welcome to have a listen in my wolve den...

Marc

#3,530 ·
No problem. In addition, as of yet I don't know what the system does when a rip goes bad. I've just tried a CD that was problematic for EAC, but it does not seem to be for the Vault. Obviously, with EAC you have the peace of mind of a comprehensive log, where it does not only report the occurrence of error correction (i.e. two sequential reads were not the same, which results in a bunch of rereads to decide statistically), but also the result of a checksum comparison with an online database.

#3,532 ·
Mraudioguru, are you positive you can copy the olive rips to the vault 2? It is my understanding that libraries from an olive cannot be transferred to anything, including a computer and especially third party servers/players such as bluesound.
If you can Transfer from an olive to the vault 2, it would have to be via an external hard drive containing the backed up olive library and connected to the vault 2 via USB in the same manner that you would "restore" to another olive unit.

#3,534 ·
Is there someone who can do a recovery of my new HD for the olive HD 06.
The original HD is broken, I have replaced it with a new HD but I can not do a recovery.
I have the good recovery software on an USB stick but the olive give always the message " recovery failed, try again".
I have tried at least 50 times.

Wim

#3,535 ·
Recovery HD Olive HD 06

Is there someone who can do a recovery of my new HD for the olive HD 06.
The original HD is broken, I have replaced it with a new HD but I can not do a recovery.
I have the good recovery software on an USB stick but the olive give always the message " recovery failed, try again".
I have tried at least 50 times.

Wim

#3,536 ·
Most likely, your new HD contains all but partitions 5, (6) and 7. If you are lucky, and why shouldn't you, you can copy those partitions from the broken disk, and be in business
I don't know how much data your music occupies, but especially copying partition 7 (with all the music) may take several hours. The other partitions only a few minutes.

Marc

#3,537 ·
The olive starts up and then shuts down, starts up shut down...by itself , I only get the begin screen (olive green letters).
I think it's the software on the HD that's not work properly.
That's the reason I want to do a recovery. I can get the olive in recovery mode but when I insert the usb stick I get always the message "recovery failed".
I'm not a expert in software.
Marc would you contact me via mail, I live in Belgium, it's easier to mail in Dutch for me.

Wim

#3,540 ·
I get the failed message directly after I put in the usb stick.
In recovery mode the olive asked to put in the usb recovery stick, after a few seconds I get the message recovery failed.
I have tried with different usb sticks 16GB, 8GB and 4GB.
With the 8 and 4GB stick I get the message recovery failed, with the 16GB I get no message but nothing happens.

Wim

#3,542 ·
That is not okay.
What happens if
- you don't put a stick in it?
- you put in a non-recovery stick in it?

In my case, the recovery always fails, but only after several minutes and showing a message about a recovery in progress.

Maybe...
- the USB port is bad (failing hardware)
- the USB sticks are formatted in a wrong format
- the hard disk fails. But I guess not

Well, so many ways to get problems, so small the path to a nicely running Olive.

Marc

#3,548 ·
Until version 4.1.9 the software for my Olive 4 not HD, is also suitable for all the other models up to that date.
So, what I have here should also work with a 06HD, albeit it will be version 4.1.9, and you should be able to update it.
But better wait a little bit until someone with a working 06HD in your neighbourhoid pops up.
Try your other forums for a better chance.

#3,556 ·
Well, I've tried Clonezilla, Acronis. They seem to copy the drive, yet two separate drives refuse to boot in my 04HD! I did GParted and Linux to fdisk the partitions. I'm not familiar enough with Linux to know what I'm doing without a manual. All I wanted to do was make a copy of my original disc in case the original failed. I did the hold center button with down arrow with the correct usb stick with the files for repair/install from Olive. At this juncture I guess I'll enjoy what I have and then when it fails throw it out. Three days of trying and trying to no avail.:mad:

#3,557 ·
Do you still have the original, untouched disk? Does it still boot?
If you first tried clonezilla, it will ruin your first Olive partition and that will not boot anymore.
Recovery will most times fail, but usually it will create a valid first partition. After that you can use clonezilla or gparted to copy the missing partitions.

Marc

#3,570 ·
Do you still have the original, untouched disk? Does it still boot?
If you first tried clonezilla, it will ruin your first Olive partition and that will not boot anymore.
Recovery will most times fail, but usually it will create a valid first partition. After that you can use clonezilla or gparted to copy the missing partitions.

Marc
Yes my original HD does boot and works flawlessly. The recovery does not fail as it just continues with the startup screen and nothing more.

#3,558 ·
I have bought an AudioQuest Jitterbug, and put it in the only USB-port of my O-live. I must say that even my baby could benefit from the goodies this 'Jitter'Bug delivers. More 3D (even more!), finer highs. That just for € 50. Highly recommended for anyone with a working Olive :D

Marc

#3,561 ·
Hi everybody,

it may be written somewhere already, however, as this thread getting longer and longer, it
may not be found in the first place. I want to shortly share my latest experience with
my Olive 4HD. Despite the fact that I had already replaced the hard drive the
Olive display was freezing more and more often until last week when it refused to
operate beyond a white split screen. First I suspected loose connectors in
the cabling between motherboard and display board. However, the freezing
was reproducably starting during the boot up at the same time. Cabling would
rather cause a random error. So, I looked into the software versions of my
Olive and found that the firmware had never been updated from vers 0 to
3. After I had updated the firmware (up and fast foward buttons pressed for
approx. 5 sec. to start the update) the Olive started working fine, i.e. better than
ever before again.

Cheers

Marc H.

#3,562 ·
Hi Marc H.

As you have never bothered to update before, it might be interesting to know that the system partition of your Olive will never be checked for errrors. But if you download an upgrade, it will be saved in a not-used partition, and after successful installation, this new partition will be used as new system partition. By then any error in the old system partition won't bother any more.

So, in a world with regular upgrades, software failures are less likely to occur.:rolleyes:
And, alas, in a world with untouched software, they are more likely.:(

Marc

#3,564 · (Edited)
Hi all,
somethimg important to note regarding a firmware update
and being contents of an old Olive support email found in a different forum is:

"If the Olive is running the latest software version (O.4.3.2), an upgrade the firmware to 3.0 can be performed and should resolve the performance issues. Please only do this if your problem is unbearable. The firmware update can also make your unit inoperable and is risky.

Please verify again that your Olive is on 4.3.2 or else installing FW 3.0 will cause irreparable damage to the hardware.

Firmware 3.0
• The firmware update can be installed by pressing a simple key combination.
• With the Olive turned on, press the following two buttons Top navigation button and Fast forward button, keep both buttons pressed down for 6 seconds and release. This will trigger the installation of Firmware 3.0
• Please do NOT turn off or interrupt the installation process at any time or the unit might be irreparably damaged"

To me the performance issue in terms of a non-operating display
was unbearable.

Best

Marc

#3,568 ·
Off topic : Now making backup copies of my SACDs, thereafter played in full 24-bit glory on the Vault 2 (although sadly no native DSD). All my 400 regular CDs ripped with EAC and occasionally fixed with CUETools (yes, I know, a pathetic number to some of you) and neatly inserted in my own archive system, all with pretty covers (damn those auto-fetched ones by my Olive O3HD were tiny) and accurate meta data, exportable to Vault 2 (tagging the tagless archived FLACs on the fly). Sweet.

On topic : Anyone want a used Olive O3HD ? :) I've been trying to factory reset the thing, but it seems to fail every time. Could someone tell me the first 10 bytes or so that start RecoveryCD.img and ODBInstall.tar.gz ? I think one of them must be corrupted (probably the second one). Olive is not responding this time. Thanks in advance.

#3,571 ·
nothing more isn't much. It should end with a recovery successful message and reboot.
Whit my Olive 4 came a recovery cd that does just that. I downloaded a newer version and that one says always after several minutes that the recovery has failed. Another one wirh the same version fails immediately, and does nothing at all.

Marc

#3,583 ·
Hopefully someone can help me with this,

as my 04HD is starting to do odd things, I checked the software and firmware versions and got this

Software 4.3.2
Firmware 0.0

as I have read about a Firmware V3, mine at 0.0 doesn't seem right

is this right?

thanks - Andy

Hi,

I have experienced the same situation, i.e. my Olive with the software and firmware versions you are mentioning started doing odd things, in my case the display was freezing very soon after startup. Unfortunately I am not sure what the firmware does, presumably it adjusts some electrical values to compensate for aging effects. I changed to Version 3 and now my Olive is running fine. Nevertheless there seems to be a risk in updating the firmware as I have written in one of my messages. It is up to you whether you want to update to firmware version 3 or not. It depends on the pain you have, I guess. My Olive was basically non-functional, because the freezing of the display was accompanied by sound dropouts.

Cheers

Marc H.

#3,581 ·
Hello,
I wonder if any of you guys might be able to help me?
I've been using an Olive Opus 4 for a few years with no problems at all, recently I moved it in a reorganisation and it has started being unpredictable.
Sometimes it won't progress beyond the start-up screen, sometimes I can get as far as getting into my library but it always get to a point after a short while where the loading symbol comes up and less and less functions work until it completely freezes up and I have to power down and try again.
I'm not really technical on the computing side of things and didn't have the Olive from new so don't have a recovery disc, are there any simple reset options which are likely to get my Opus up and running again?
Thanks for any suggestions