Cheapest Audio Connection Solution for this Bedroom/Bathroom Setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am adding this Toshiba 19in LCD in the bedroom.
connecting Apple TV via HDMI to it.

I also want to connect 2 Klipsch satellites speakers I have laying around to the TV (sound is pretty bad from tv speakers).

In addition, I want to feed music from here to these wireless speakers in the bathroom.

What is the cheapest solution to add the satellite speakers and connect the wireless speaker "base station".

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Seems to me that you should purchase an AV Receiver (AVR).

HDMI would pass through the receiver to get to the TV and to the speakers. Sound out from the AVR to the local speakers. Sound out from the 'B' speaker output (or a zone 2 if you want to spend a couple hundred more dollars) to the 'wireless' speakers. A 2 zone AVR would allow you to watch TV in 1 room, and listen to something else in the bathroom - might not be worth the extra $.

If you really want to save money, try a local pawn shop or Craigs List for a used AVR. Almost any AVR (with HDMI) would work, though I'm unsure why you want to use HDMI instead of 'regular' connectors (composite video, audio). You'd save money by not using HDMI.

I'm unfamiliar with the wireless speakers, but would assume they work like normal speakers.

Edit - I don't know how Apple TV works, but if it has an HDMI out from it, it probably also has RCA outputs from it. Just a hunch. If you're set on using HDMI, just find an AVR that has HDMI inputs.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 3 Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Seems to me that you should purchase an AV Receiver (AVR).

HDMI would pass through the receiver to get to the TV and to the speakers. Sound out from the AVR to the local speakers. Sound out from the 'B' speaker output (or a zone 2 if you want to spend a couple hundred more dollars) to the 'wireless' speakers. A 2 zone AVR would allow you to watch TV in 1 room, and listen to something else in the bathroom - might not be worth the extra $.

If you really want to save money, try a local pawn shop or Craigs List for a used AVR. Almost any AVR (with HDMI) would work, though I'm unsure why you want to use HDMI instead of 'regular' connectors (composite video, audio). You'd save money by not using HDMI.

I'm unfamiliar with the wireless speakers, but would assume they work like normal speakers.

Edit - I don't know how Apple TV works, but if it has an HDMI out from it, it probably also has RCA outputs from it. Just a hunch. If you're set on using HDMI, just find an AVR that has HDMI inputs.

I would agree with this, an inexpensive option is Marantz SR-4001 or SR-5002, which can be found refurbished for around $299.00. There is also good refurbished options from Onkyo and HK. All of them will have HDMI in/out, and the connections you need.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page