New or Used. Best NON-DJing Turntable around $200... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, I was looking for the best sounding, best features for a turntable that will strictly be used to listen and thoroughly enjoy old Vinyl records. Not for any kind of DJing or anything like that. Anywhere around $200 is what I am willing to spend, new or used doesn't matter to me. Any advice, as always, is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Can't help you with used. For new, I recommend the Technics SL-BD20 turntable, with an upgraded cartridge (p-mount) from Grado or Audio-Technica Should run you just about $200 total. Primary virtues are ease of set-up and lower tracking weight/less record wear than most other low-cost turntables. You can't expect greatness in that price range, but it's a well-chosen set of compromises.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 17 Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Can't help you with used. For new, I recommend the Technics SL-BD20 turntable, with an upgraded cartridge (p-mount) from Grado or Audio-Technica Should run you just about $200 total. Primary virtues are ease of set-up and lower tracking weight/less record wear than most other low-cost turntables. You can't expect greatness in that price range, but it's a well-chosen set of compromises.

Thanks! I have heard a lot about the SL-1200MK2. However the reviews are mixed, some say because its not a Belt Drive its sound quality isn't as good. Any opinion on that? And I will look into the SL-BD20, I found one here locally for around $50. What would be the highest Quality cartridge and needle I would want to get for sound quality then? I would probably need to replace both.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
However the reviews are mixed, some say because its not a Belt Drive its sound quality isn't as good. Any opinion on that?

Yeah, but this is a family forum.

Anyway, the SL-BD20 is a belt-drive, as virtually all affordable turntables are.

Quote:
What would be the highest Quality cartridge and needle I would want to get for sound quality then? I would probably need to replace both.

I wouldn't spend more than $60-70 on a cartridge for a turntable like this. (And when you replace the cartridge, you get the needle, aka stylus.) Here's a good list of options.

post #5 of 17 Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anyway, the SL-BD20 is a belt-drive, as virtually all affordable turntables are.

I wouldn't spend more than $60-70 on a cartridge for a turntable like this. (And when you replace the cartridge, you get the needle, aka stylus.) Here's a good list of options.

So I was looking into the BD20 and also came across a SL-1700 for a very good price. I would be able to get it and a cartridge change for well under $200. Would that be the better buy? I read that the SL-BD's are kind of lightweight, would you recommend the 1700 strictly on sound quality and performance?
post #6 of 17 Old 01-29-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

If it's in good working order, go for it.

post #7 of 17 Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Mcnarnus, just wanted to say that your turntable advice is always sensible, pragmatic, and well thought out.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #8 of 17 Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK I gotta ask, Belt-Drive or Direct drive and why? Also, are there other Belt Drive turntables other than Technics that you have experience with and/or recommend.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK I gotta ask, Belt-Drive or Direct drive and why?

Doesn't matter. Either can be designed well (or badly). As a practical matter, the market is dominated by belt-drives now, because they are much simpler to make. (The affordable DDs you see are older designs, where the R&D is already paid for.)

Quote:

Also, are there other Belt Drive turntables other than Technics that you have experience with and/or recommend.

Depends on your price range. For $200 new, you can't top the SL-BD20. For $300-400, the entry-level high-end brands (Rega, Music Hall, Pro-Ject) makes nice unitsthough I'm not convinced they're a real step up from the Technics.

Above that, the Technics SL-1200 (direct drive, btw) would be my choice, at least until you get into the four figures.

post #10 of 17 Old 01-29-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Doesn't matter. Either can be designed well (or badly). As a practical matter, the market is dominated by belt-drives now, because they are much simpler to make. (The affordable DDs you see are older designs, where the R&D is already paid for.)

Depends on your price range. For $200 new, you can't top the SL-BD20. For $300-400, the entry-level high-end brands (Rega, Music Hall, Pro-Ject) makes nice unitsthough I'm not convinced they're a real step up from the Technics.

Above that, the Technics SL-1200 (direct drive, btw) would be my choice, at least until you get into the four figures.

Ok then, I am looking into either a steal on a Rega P1 for about 250, or a BD-22. I found a basically brand new BD-22 still in the box for very cheap here locally. So I guess my last question is, what's the difference between the BD-20 and the BD-22? And is it worth it to get a new BD-22? Thanks a bunch for all the help so far.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

As I recall, the 22 has a somewhat better motor. Other than that, they're the same table.

post #12 of 17 Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:

As I recall, the 22 has a somewhat better motor. Other than that, they're the same table.

I've had a Technics 22 a couple of years and have been fantasising about getting a Rega instead, not so much becuase I'm unhappy with it, just because I get upgraditis. Anyhow, now's hardly the time to be flinging money at fancy hi-fis (remember how the UK gear kept going up in price when the dollar was dropping, and now the Pound's in the toilet no-one's passing the savings on?), so I got a new cartridge instead
post #13 of 17 Old 02-02-2009, 01:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Tell me about it. They keep saying "de-flation" is a problem here now with the economy tanking, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of it happening whatsoever. Everything's still going up and up and up.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Tell me about it. They keep saying "de-flation" is a problem here now with the economy tanking, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of it happening whatsoever. Everything's still going up and up and up.

I was going to buy B&W speakers for my system, but the prices kept inching up as the pound did so. I think that Canadian manufacturers might have done pretty well from that. Still, things are grim enough that I should probably be looking for better silver linings than the price of high-end audio gear.

But I'm digressing. I think the Technics SL BD-22 is a very fun turntable, which sometimes sounds a little shrill, but I'm not really comparing that with anything, and am in the habit of playing rather distressed punk rock records on it, so make of that what you will. I hope it sounds better than the USB turntables that have become so popular since I bought it, but only for pride's sake. Assuming you're paying less than a $100, go for it, and go get a Rega when your lottery numbers come in. I know I will.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-03-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm moving toward buying a turntable now...my wife just doesn't understand me!

Ahh well...I'm also looking to get a great record player as opposed to just one that works...thanks for the advice here. I'm roaming Craigslist, just hoping for a steal...
post #16 of 17 Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

I apologize for changing gears, but i need some help with a dedicated stereo TT set up apart from my HT/Music set-up.

I have the following
pre-amp
Technics SL-BD22
Speakers

What am i missing? Amp? If so, what should i look for?

Grant
post #17 of 17 Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize for changing gears, but i need some help with a dedicated stereo TT set up apart from my HT/Music set-up.

I have the following
pre-amp
Technics SL-BD22
Speakers

What am i missing? Amp? If so, what should i look for?

By pre-amp, do you mean a phono preamp? If so, then you need either a receiver or an integrated amp. If you have a preamp with a phono input, then all you need is an amplifier.

If you aren't sure, tell us the make and model.

As for what to get, that depends very much on your budget. Also might be helpful to know what your speakers are.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page