Do High end Interconnects make a diffrence? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 243 Old 02-18-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
oldtexasdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: out in the country north of Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do High end Interconnects make a diffrence on a CD hook up? This would pertain to analog or dig. fiber optic. If it would then would it be better to hook up with high end analog interconnects vers. of the shelf dig optic?

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
oldtexasdog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 243 Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,085
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:


Do High end Interconnects make a diffrence on a CD hook up? This would pertain to analog or dig. fiber optic.

Nope. Not a whit. There can be circumstances (rare but not unheard of in the home environment) where proper shielding can be necessary for analog ICs, but proper shielding doesn't cost very much, either.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is offline  
post #3 of 243 Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post

Do High end Interconnects make a diffrence on a CD hook up?

Highly unlikely they do. I know I've never heard any differences, and I've done a decent amount of experimenting with them.
RWetmore is offline  
post #4 of 243 Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I read an article in one of the audio mags back in the 80's where these guys set up signal generator and injected the signals into different preamps and amps at low and high voltages, and at various wide and narrow bandwidths.

No matter what they did, they could not degrade the signal coming out of the preamps and amps in any signifigant and meaningful way.

It was a very intriguing set of tests, well thought out, seemed to cover all bases, and concluded that the only degradation of the signals came from using too small a guage wire. Wires used were various cheap to very expensive bare speaker wires, RCA cables, and a few pieces of old speaker wire take off a wrecked car.
All wire did as it was designed to do, transfer all the signals from point a to point b with no problems.

While it was not scientific it was informative.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #5 of 243 Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post

Do High end Interconnects make a diffrence on a CD hook up? This would pertain to analog or dig. fiber optic. If it would then would it be better to hook up with high end analog interconnects vers. of the shelf dig optic?

High end interconnects definately make a number of differences:

(1) They often look great.

(2) They generally cost a lot of money, so they make the purchaser feel that he "cares enough to use the very best".

(3) The expenditure of money and appearance may convey some bragging rights.

Umm, were you looking for information about sound qualty?

High end interconnects generally make no audible differences whatsoever, all other things being equal.

Be aware that interconnects can become defective over time, particularly if they are plugged in and out occasionally but infrequently. Simply removing and replacing the same interconnects can wipe away corrosion, etc and temporarily improve sound quality. Buying new interconnects can do the same thing.

On balance, all most all of the effects of *upgrading* interconnects are psychological and social and *not* electrical.
arnyk is offline  
post #6 of 243 Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
milaz001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
milaz001 is offline  
post #7 of 243 Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post

Do High end Interconnects make a diffrence on a CD hook up? This would pertain to analog or dig. fiber optic. If it would then would it be better to hook up with high end analog interconnects vers. of the shelf dig optic?

They make a difference to the maker They derive an income from them.
CharlesJ is online now  
post #8 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
When you eat at a top shelf restaurant, do they serve your meal on paper plates? No. When you want to impress your friends, do you drive up in a Yugo? No. When you pay top dollar for an escort like ex-gov Spitzer of NY do you expect her to be bushy like Larry of the Three Stooges and wear underwear that you could use to go parasailing? No. So, why would you use off the Walmart shelf interconnects?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #9 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 AM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

So, why would you use off the Walmart shelf interconnects?

You use them when you want to impress your guests with your high level of sensibility and practicality.
geekhd is offline  
post #10 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
You & I both know what they're saying when you're not around!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #11 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Russdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PV (So Cal)
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I always wonder about is people who bash other people for buying something they can afford and want. I don't think people are dumb or wasting money just because they drive a Porsche when they could be driving a Toyota. They both accomplish the same thing but the person driving the Porsche obviously wanted one and could afford it.

If for no other reason buying a better cable just for build quality alone is a big enough reason for myself anyway for owning the better wires, power cords etc, even if there aren't huge sound differences.

I suspect I am not alone about this.

Russ
Russdawg is offline  
post #12 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 AM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

What I always wonder about is people who bash other people for buying something they can afford and want. I don't think people are dumb or wasting money just because they drive a Porsche when they could be driving a Toyota. They both accomplish the same thing but the person driving the Porsche obviously wanted one and could afford it.

If for no other reason buying a better cable just for build quality alone is a big enough reason for myself anyway for owning the better wires, power cords etc, even if there aren't huge sound differences.

I suspect I am not alone about this.

I suppose you already know about the obvious performance difference between Porsche and Toyota.

"even if there aren't huge sound differences"? Given that they are properly constructed, how about no difference (to human ear)?
geekhd is offline  
post #13 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
People are not bashing people for buying these things just as they really are not bashing Bose customers for buying Bose (well...). Anyway, its not the purchase its the assumptions and even worse claims (with no legit proof) that these purchases enhanced the SQ.

Also, I dont see how a Toyota VS a Porsche is any way related to an interconnect purchase. I absolutely understand your point about build quality and it is certainly a legit reason to purchase a cable (which can be easily damaged) but I dont think that is the issue posters have a problem with.
Bruins29 is offline  
post #14 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Besides performance, regarding the Porsche you have the prestiege factor which is also a major factor. Its probably an even bigger factor IMO in some cases.
Bruins29 is offline  
post #15 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Canoga56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

Besides performance, regarding the Porsche you have the prestiege factor which is also a major factor. Its probably an even bigger factor IMO in some cases.

All depends on who your neighbors are, income, area, etc.
Canoga56 is offline  
post #16 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

What I always wonder about is people who bash other people for buying something they can afford and want.

It never takes long for someone to play the class/jealousy card. ;-(

Quote:


I don't think people are dumb or wasting money just because they drive a Porsche when they could be driving a Toyota.

Since there are no audible benefits to high end audio cables, we can take this comparison as meaning that you can't tell the difference between a Porsche and a Toyota? ;-)

Quote:


They both accomplish the same thing

So you're saying that a Porsche and a Toyota don't differ in handling, speed, ride, etc? 'Cause again that's the comparsion between high end cables and good but commodity cables.

Quote:


but the person driving the Porsche obviously wanted one and could afford it.

The world is full of people with tons of money and transportation needs of some kind, who simply don't want a Porsche.

The fact that someone wants a Porsche pretty well means that they want a Porsche and little else, because just about everything that a Porsche is or does can be accomplished, sometimes better, some other way.

Quote:


If for no other reason buying a better cable just for build quality alone is a big enough reason for myself anyway for owning the better wires, power cords etc, even if there aren't huge sound differences.

It's not that there aren't *huge* sound diffeerences, it is that there are no sound differences at all. The fact that you can't admit that says that you believe that high end wires sound at least a little better.

I don't have any problems wtih people having fun by buying and wearing jewelry, audio or otherwise. Ditto for fur coats, and pleasure boats. Thnig is, anybody who thinks that they can't be as warm as they would like to be without an expensive fur coat is not talking about thermal warmth.

A person who thinks that their stereo can't please them without high end cables isn't talking about sound quality.

Quote:


I suspect I am not alone about this.

Of course you aren't alone in thinking that expensive cables sound at least a little better. Lots of people believe lots of things that just aren't true. And lots of people can't pamper themselves without some pretense of utility.

I say let it all hang out - if you want to pamper yourself then just do it, and don't put on any pretenses about it.
arnyk is offline  
post #17 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

What I always wonder about is people who bash other people for buying something they can afford and want. I don't think people are dumb or wasting money just because they drive a Porsche when they could be driving a Toyota. They both accomplish the same thing but the person driving the Porsche obviously wanted one and could afford it.

If for no other reason buying a better cable just for build quality alone is a big enough reason for myself anyway for owning the better wires, power cords etc, even if there aren't huge sound differences.

I suspect I am not alone about this.

It's not the price nor the want. It's about the claim. As far as better build quality, if you're talking about wanting something that doesn't look subjectively cheesy, no problem here. But if you're talking about how it's constructed, then how do you define that? For example, virtually every aftermarket power cord isn't UL listed. There's no way the consumer can tell if it's been constructed in a manner that complies with applicable safety requirements.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #18 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Posts: 2,674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

When you eat at a top shelf restaurant, do they serve your meal on paper plates? No. When you want to impress your friends, do you drive up in a Yugo?No. When you pay top dollar for an escort like ex-gov Spitzer of NY do you expect her to be bushy like Larry of the Three Stooges and wear underwear that you could use to go parasailing? No. So, why would you use off the Walmart shelf interconnects?

Because in a typical low-noise residential environment "Walmart" (they're much less expensive from Parts Express even when gold plated to avoid galvanic corrosion with gold jacks for swamp or Seattle dwellers) interconnects work as well as anything you could buy for $10, $100, or even $1000. With more noise Radioshack's $10 "Gold" interconnects are more appropriate.

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my main stereo system which is actively tri-amped and had to replace the interconnects lost in the move. Spent $1.55 each on the interconnects except for the Y-adapters to plug the two bass amps into the same cross-over output.

For high resolution analog video cable you need something with good bandwidth; but there your best bet is to pay $2 a foot for quality Canare or Belden from somewhere like Markertek.

I did spend $2 a foot for my new speaker cable, but that's only because one 8 conductor pro-sound cable has better WAF than four separate runs of zip cord for 40 cents a foot each.

If you want to spend money, spend it some where you get something for it like omakasse at your favorite sushi bar where it might mean otoro which melts in your mouth or eel which was flown in live from the Tokyo fish market. You can tell I'm thinking about lunch.
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
post #19 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoga56 View Post

All depends on who your neighbors are, income, area, etc.


I guess, assuming you only drive the Porsche in your neighborhood.
Bruins29 is offline  
post #20 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Randybes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think we should all get Porsches as part of the bail-out-wait that's not an American car-oh darn.
Randybes is offline  
post #21 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
You don't drive a Porche to be seen by your peers. Bailout...sigh. Too many dumb lawyers are in Congress. Maybe not so dumb when it comes to being reelected, getting pensions, benefits. I say put 'em all on social security.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #22 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Member
 
Canoga56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You know what it's about, it's not wanting to hear anything that challenges your thinking. Alot of you sound like broken records going from thread to thread with your dribble....Pathetic.
Canoga56 is offline  
post #23 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Member
 
nukequazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've spent most of my adult life working with audio, and I believe wiring does make a difference BUT ONLY if your entire system is high quality and you carefully audition every single component with many choices of interconnects, amplifiers, speakers, etc. In my experience the most expensive does not generally win, but then the cheapest also does not generally win.

In my experience the biggest wiring degradation I have heard is from cheap speaker wires--you know, the ones that look like a table lamp AC cord.
nukequazar is offline  
post #24 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wiring can make a difference if the gauge and run length is not appropriate. What do you consider a high quality system?
Bruins29 is offline  
post #25 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Member
 
nukequazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing specific, I'm not an audiophile snob, just do some research, compare specs, audition whenever possible, and make your own choices, don't just choose by others' opinions and reviews!
nukequazar is offline  
post #26 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoga56 View Post

You know what it's about, it's not wanting to hear anything that challenges your thinking. Alot of you sound like broken records going from thread to thread with your dribble....Pathetic.

Yeah, that must be it. BTW, the word is drivel and not dribble which is a verb.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #27 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bruins29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont need to do any research. I can separate fact from fiction. I want to know what your threshold is for a high quality system i.e one that is high enough quality and sensitive enough to be able to distinguish different cables.
Bruins29 is offline  
post #28 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Member
 
nukequazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoga56 View Post

All depends on who your neighbors are, income, area, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoga56 View Post

You know what it's about, it's not wanting to hear anything that challenges your thinking. Alot of you sound like broken records going from thread to thread with your dribble....Pathetic.

What's all this about?
nukequazar is offline  
post #29 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ʇuoɯɹ
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoga56 View Post

You know what it's about, it's not wanting to hear anything that challenges your thinking. Alot of you sound like broken records going from thread to thread with your dribble....Pathetic.

thats drivel, not 'dribble'.

edit-oh! gadzooks! and egad! someone beat me to it.
westgate is offline  
post #30 of 243 Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Member
 
nukequazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

I dont need to do any research. I can separate fact from fiction. I want to know what your threshold is for a high quality system i.e one that is high enough quality and sensitive enough to be able to distinguish different cables.

I didn't have anything specific in mind, but now that I think about it, maybe the threshold is being willing to take the time to research and audition some choices. And maybe separate preamp/processor and amps. I've never heard a receiver with built-in amps that compares to decent separate amps. There's just no way one power supply can give the same dynamic range and separation as six power supplies for six amps and six speakers.

Maybe if you are not buying separate amps, then it's not worth it to spend a lot of money on interconnects. Speaker wires, however, is a different story. It's always worth ordering at least a couple different speaker wires and comparing.

As far as specific brands/models, I'll stay out of that, since I haven't bought any major new components in a few years and it's all changing so fast...
nukequazar is offline  
Closed Thread CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off