post #91 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Very impressive Arny. So all sugar is the same yet you go on at length to describe the differences. LMAO

to easy........to easy.

Is your reading comprehension that bad? Where did Arny state that all sugar was the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Is your reading comprehension that bad? Where did Arny state that all sugar was the same?

This was to good. Great post!

Time to throw on a tune,

Send in the Clowns would be a nice listen.

(I wonder why I thought of it?)

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #93 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

"Kate, ....

What you'll generally find on a subjective level is that as the level differences between players approach zero, it becomes quite hard to tell them apart. ...As to when you say, "If there is no difference there would be no need for companies to sell different things, it has to be a difference, and it has to be detectable.", please realize that not all measureable differences rise to the level of audibility. In fact, remarkable as our hearing is, we are generally the weakest link and prone to all sorts of errors in judgement which is why controlling the environment is paramount.

Myself, I would set a price point and seeing as you do have some hi-rez, I'd focus on players that can play it all. I'd look for reliability issues, performance considerations (how quickly does it load...will it play my CDR's, mp3's, flac, or whatever...what's the seek time between tracks...do I need some sort of bass management, etc.), how's the remote, connections to my other components, company's reputation (don't look for positive reviews, search using terms like problems, defective, broken, etc.) and other such considerations. Now, I can buy a watch that sync's with an atomic clock...why buy another watch? The audio industry is infamous for creating the tinies of wrinkles, convincing the public it's significant, and then next year making another wrinkle to convince you that you're earlier purchase cannot bring you satisfaction.

It is frustrating, because audio is an industry rife with hyperbole, bogus information, and nutjobs whose saving grace is that they write evocatively.

Hello Chu Gai,

You are right in every word, and I trully agree and believe to what you say.
I think I almost have a decision formed, so I am really thinking of buying a nice HTPC, and try that without any external DAC and using the 2930 for audio (SACD and CDs), and leaving the small 1930 for movies only, even tho I see it as a waste because DVDs are almost dead, and I gave away almost all my dvds.

The reason I want the HTPC, is because it would be a nice way to organize my photos, rip all my cds, maybe even rip some DVDs i cant live without.

And of course the 2930 I will have to buy 3 pairs of cable, I already ordered those with BlueJeans.

My problem is that I usally tend to believe in what I read, thats why I came with the idea of buying an external DAC.

Yes I read the comment about buying better speakers but that will be by the end 2009 or maybe 2010, the 602s3 are brand new, they are less then 1 year old, it was a big investment, and I want to use it for a bit longer before i decide to sell and buy another one.

Anyways, thank you very much for you answers, as always people in the forum are very kind and lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysay View Post

If you think this is frustrating, wait till you make the decision, get the equipment, and then a few days later, have the buyer's remorse.

Just play some Neil Sedaka or Pat Boone CDs and I bet you will not be able to tell what player you're using. They even sound the same on my 8-track player as I recall.

I agree with you, as I said, in my reply to Chu Gai... I will go to the HTPC without the DAC!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Hi Kate*,

I really believe that the Benchmark DAC1 is a top notch performer.
The more I learn about it, the more I realise it's tremendous potential to improve the sound on many systems.

Hi Bob, indeed.. but I think I will save money for speakers, and for now... I will just get the HTPC and a set of cables!

THank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post

Therefore listen to what mcnarus and geekhd said.......save your $$ for better speakers possibly and room acoustic improvements.

I will, please take your time and read the response I gave to Chu Gai.
However, I see the acoustic treatments as the LAST thing to do, because its very troublesome to do, and I am waiting until I need to re-paint the condo to have it done!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

kate, this pretty much sums it up. arnyk, Chu Gai, CharlesJ and mcnarus are posting opinions of reliable quality. Ones like these below would be the opposite end.

Thank you!

-----------------------------

Everybody,

As always people in this forum, are extremelly kind, and you all give valid inputs that I take into consideration.

It is great to be part of a group of people with excellent knowledge, and its even greater to be able to learn and exchange ideas with you all!

Thank you very much for the help!

I am really grateful for everything!

Listening is the best experience.
post #94 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Is your reading comprehension that bad?

And the spelling too.
post #95 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And the spelling too.

that was grammar, not spelling!

(the spelling issue is arny's.)

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #96 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:

that was grammar, not spelling!

Those were spelling errors in your attempt to express something being easy to an excessive degree.
Quote:
to easy........to easy.

kate, he is in his 50's at least (possibly older). Keep that in mind when you read his posts.
post #97 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

...And you guys don't have to live with her, so you don't know all the beatings that I had to endure.

So long.

______ Bob

Hope those were just verbal.
post #98 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very impressive Arny. So all sugar is the same yet you go on at length to describe the differences. LMAO

to easy........to easy.

You mean to tell me that you can taste a difference between granulated sugars, in a DBT?, in your drink or what ever you put it on?
post #99 of 162 Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

My problem is that I usally tend to believe in what I read, ...

That is not good in any consumer endeavor
post #100 of 162 Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Dear AVS users,

The other day I asked a dealer to let me test the following CD player and SACD players, I brought it home and tested:

- Cambridge Audio 640A;
- Rotel RCD-1072;
- Marantz SA-8003;

And I had reached a veridict...

For my ears, they all have the exact same quality, what changes is the loudness.

They all play as good as my Denon 1930ci and 2930, so I will not be buying an additional player, I will instead go to the HTPC way.

However, I noticed that the Marantz SA-8003, produces a sound a bit more warm than the others, not sure if it is me, but that what it looks like.

All the players where hooked in stereo-analog, with the same cable, to the same AVR. I played the same music in all, and trust me its my favourite song, and I know it pretty well.. I even play it together with my own violin..

Then I tested it all the players with a headphone.. a Sony MCR-V600 i know it is not the best, but it is what I have.. And I just HATE headphones, they give me headache, but again the sound was identical to all players, except for the Marantz that produced a warmer sound...

So I would like to thank you all for your help...
Thank you for helping me choose the right equipment

post #101 of 162 Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

Dear AVS users,

However, I noticed that the Marantz SA-8003, produces a sound a bit more warm than the others, not sure if it is me, but that what it looks like.

FWIW, I've seen references to this wamth other reviews.

If you have 5 digital players that sound the same, and one that doesn't, its probable that the one that sounds different has some audible flaw.
post #102 of 162 Old 03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

If you have 5 digital players that sound the same, and one that doesn't, its probable that the one that sounds different has some audible flaw.

At the same time, if you've seen several reviews suggesting that a unit is "warm," and then you notice that it seems warm to you, too, it's possible that you're being influenced by what you've read.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #103 of 162 Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Hi arnyk,

I wouldnt say it is a flaw, the sound is good, but different. Maybe its Marantz intention to play like that.

The difference not THAT clear, but it is more evident when playing a trumpet for example.

I just dont think it justifies paying a lot more just for that!

In a few weeks I will be a happy owner of a HTPC!

post #104 of 162 Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

At the same time, if you've seen several reviews suggesting that a unit is "warm," and then you notice that it seems warm to you, too, it's possible that you're being influenced by what you've read.

maybe it just sounded different.

Jeez

post #105 of 162 Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe it just sounded different.

I gather you don't understand English well enough to comprehend the meaning of the phrase, "...it's possible...".

post #106 of 162 Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hello kate*,

I just found this thread. Another way to look at the question is which player is a better CD player, irrespective of SACD capability. There are many more CDs out there than SACDs, but you say you have close to as many of them as CDs. If they're hybrids, then no worries, either player will work. If not, and you want to hear them, then the 8003 would be the choice.

I personally have only 4 SACDs (hybrids), and I just bought a McIntosh MCD301, which is a CD/SACD player. But I bought it because it's a tremendous CD player, the best I've heard, and that it plays SACDs too is nice but not a major factor in the decision.
post #107 of 162 Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Hello kate*,

I just found this thread. Another way to look at the question is which player is a better CD player, irrespective of SACD capability. There are many more CDs out there than SACDs, but you say you have close to as many of them as CDs. If they're hybrids, then no worries, either player will work. If not, and you want to hear them, then the 8003 would be the choice.

I personally have only 4 SACDs (hybrids), and I just bought a McIntosh MCD301, which is a CD/SACD player. But I bought it because it's a tremendous CD player, the best I've heard, and that it plays SACDs too is nice but not a major factor in the decision.

Did you compare it to the MCD500?

post #108 of 162 Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Did you compare it to the MCD500?

It never came up, actually. My budget maxed out at $3500, which the 301 exceeded, and the 500 would have been too much. Based on my experience with the 301, if the 500 is $2000 better (its MSRP is $2000 over the 301), it's scary.
post #109 of 162 Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Hi Kate*,

I read your posts about listening to various players at home.

Did you listen to the Rotel RCD-1072 through it's analog output?
If not, do so, and compared it with your Denon DVD-2930ci, also from it's analog output.

You do need some break up time with the Rotel CD player, as it will warm up and open up.
And you also need some quality listening time to appreciate the true value of the 1072.
You do that, and you can honestly say that you have experience the sound from the Rotel RCD-1072.

Regards,

_______
Bob
post #110 of 162 Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 553
What if her Rotel player does just the opposite when it breaks in and instead becomes cooler and starts to close down? Things can't always break-in in the same direction after all all those capacitors, resistors and what not have +/- percentage specs.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #111 of 162 Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Now, you are not very serious, you are going into dark territories.
Try to stay on Earth!
post #112 of 162 Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 553
I am, I'm just not on the Earth that's in your dimension Seriously though, don't you find it just a bit peculiar that break in would occur only in one direction?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #113 of 162 Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Now, you are not very serious,

Really? Then who is?

Quote:

Hi,

My wife, while sniffing and aroused by her curiosity into my affairs and forums, and after reading this thread, ask me to respond by saying: "Elvis had left the building".

Sorry about that guys, but you don't know my wife, she's a real pain in the butt.
And you guys don't have to live with her, so you don't know all the beatings that I had to endure.

So long

______ Bob

post #114 of 162 Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It never came up, actually. My budget maxed out at $3500, which the 301 exceeded, and the 500 would have been too much. Based on my experience with the 301, if the 500 is $2000 better (its MSRP is $2000 over the 301), it's scary.

some insist it is, others say no. Frankly I agree with you. Unless you need the Digital inputs in the MCD500 the MCD301 is incredible.

post #115 of 162 Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seriously though, don't you find it just a bit peculiar that break in would occur only in one direction?

Not once you understand the mechanism behind it!

post #116 of 162 Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well Kate, just arrived my new Cambridge DacMagic, and I can tell you that the sound is amazing...testing only against the Oppo alone (is a reasonable player), and the difference was huge.

Just my two cents.
post #117 of 162 Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvs View Post

Well Kate, just arrived my new Cambridge DacMagic, and I can tell you that the sound is amazing...testing only against the Oppo alone (is a reasonable player), and the difference was huge.

Did you match the volume level? You know, to make it apple to apple comparison...
post #118 of 162 Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
irrelevant.
the difference is detail, stage, clearness.
post #119 of 162 Old 04-04-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvs View Post

irrelevant.
the difference is detail, stage, clearness.

It is relevant. Difference in volume level can change what you hear as well as your perception. If you didn't match the level, what you've done is not apple to apple comparison.
post #120 of 162 Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is relevant. Difference in volume level can change what you hear as well as your perception. If you didn't match the level, what you've done is not apple to apple comparison.

like a fly, what an annoyance.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page