record player to speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a KLH model twenty four record player second hand. It's a type of record player from the late 60's early 70s (I believe) and it apparently has a built in pre-amp. The record player certainly works, the needle is fine, and I hear the faint sounds of music when I play a record without speakers attached.

However, I'm having quite a bit of trouble attaching speakers to this record player. I don't know if I'm just going about this the wrong way, or the record player just has a broken audio output. The inputs in the back of the record player are listed as aux, record, and speaker. These inputs seem to be RCA inputs (pictures will be posted). I tried to connect the speakers that I have, using a speaker wire to RCA input, but no dice. I'm young and all of this equipment is second hand so it may be broken or I may be doing it completely wrong. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to connect speakers to this thing?

Below are pictures of the record player, the back of the player with all of the inputs shown, and the back of one of my speakers.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You gotta go to an electronics store (or Radio Shack) and buy speaker wire that has rca plugs on one end and bare wire on the other.

That all-in-one unit might not have much wattage for your speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

These inputs seem to be RCA inputs (pictures will be posted). I tried to connect the speakers that I have, using a speaker wire to RCA input, but no dice.

What do you mean by "no dice"? Were RCAs the wrong jacks, or did you just not get any sound?

Speaker connections like that suggest that this was originally sold with dedicated speakers. If you don't have or can't find those speakers, you may be out of luck.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

I connected them to speakers and the sound was just flat out AWFUL. Either I need a pre-amp, or I need to find those original KLH model twenty four speakers, or if that's too much of a financial risk, I may just ditch the player completely.

Are those plug and play players inferior to true analog record players?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:

I connected them to speakers and the sound was just flat out AWFUL. Either I need a pre-amp, or I need to find those original KLH model twenty four speakers, or if that's too much of a financial risk, I may just ditch the player completely.

Unless somebody else comes up with a constructive suggestion, I think it may be time to cut your losses on this one. Spending money trying to fix a problem you can't even diagnose is pretty pointless.

Quote:

Are those plug and play players inferior to true analog record players?

Generally, yes. If you want some advice on assembling a decent vinyl playback system, start a new thread, and tell us how much you can afford. (And don't be embarrassed about how small that number is. The worst we can do is tell you to save your pennies for awhile.)

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, alright. Thanks for all the help!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page