Emotiva ERC-1 CD Players Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too would like to hear the opinions of actual owner's of the ERC-1. I am sure the reason that we are seeing so little actual input from these people is that they fear being flamed by others for their personal opinions. There has been a lot of talk on this thread about where is the proof for these owner's claims, and qualitative verifiable proof would be great, but we must realize that these are owners sharing their opinions and not trained lab testers. The best that they can do is present their opinion and then each of us have to decide for ourselves if it is simply fluff or if their opinion actually has some merit. After all much of the audio experience is subjective, many times what looks fantastic on paper sounds like crap and that which should sound good based on its technical data actually sounds quite good. So let's give these owner's some latitude in sharing their opinions before tearing them to shred for something for which you personally do not agree.

I for one would like to hear owner's personal opinions of how this player compares to other players that they have owned or listened to in the sub $2000 price range. Can we all agree to play nice and permit these people opportunity to share their experience with this product. I know it would be a refreshing change for me personally.

If your only objective in life is to nit pick other peoples opinions, please find another thread to do it in. Am I the only one that feels this way,? Or is there actually, as I suspect, a majority of us on this forum who feel the same way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I got my ERC-1 yesterday and have it connected by balanced output to my Onkyo 885 to am XPA2 amp to Salk Sound HT2's. I was using a Pioneer PDF-1039 changer. The ERC-1 is an upgrade over the Pioneer. I also have in my rack an OPPO 980 that had a $400 hdmi audio mod and I have an OPPO BD83. I have not had time to do a comparison between the 980, BD83, and the ERC-1. I am using the pure audio mode of the 885 to limit any processing in the Onkyo 885. I do not have any test equipment only my ears and what I like music to sound like, so my opinion is only that, an opinion. I will try to compare the OPPO's to the ERC-1 when I get some free time to do so.So far I am pleased with the ERC-1 . I do not like to post because I am an regular person who likes music and does not wished to be degraded for not being an expert.I will report back on my other comparisons when I can.

Thomas DiCecco
post #93 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AReiners View Post

I for one would like to hear owner's personal opinions of how this player compares to other players that they have owned or listened to in the sub $2000 price range. Can we all agree to play nice and permit these people opportunity to share their experience with this product. I know it would be a refreshing change for me personally.

If your only objective in life is to nit pick other peoples opinions, please find another thread to do it in. Am I the only one that feels this way,? Or is there actually, as I suspect, a majority of us on this forum who feel the same way?

A lot of exchanges you've seen so far would have been omitted if OP kept the subject to CDP instead of pondering interconnect cable break-in talk.
post #94 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

After all much of the audio experience is subjective

Only for those who let it be subjective

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #95 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I too would like to hear the opinions of actual owner's of the ERC-1. I am sure the reason that we are seeing so little actual input from these people is that they fear being flamed by others for their personal opinions. There has been a lot of talk on this thread about where is the proof for these owner's claims, and qualitative verifiable proof would be great, but we must realize that these are owners sharing their opinions and not trained lab testers. The best that they can do is present their opinion and then each of us have to decide for ourselves if it is simply fluff or if their opinion actually has some merit. After all much of the audio experience is subjective, many times what looks fantastic on paper sounds like crap and that which should sound good based on its technical data actually sounds quite good. So let's give these owner's some latitude in sharing their opinions before tearing them to shred for something for which you personally do not agree.

Alll of that is great but if people are going to do comparisons of CDPs (or anything really) without removing all the varibles (time synch, voltage etc, the mind) then what good are the results? Yeah, I am all for hearing people opinions but if they are based on false info and placebos are they really helping the posters who really want to know the truth?

Just because its an opinion does not mean its helpful. And this whole "I am a regular person", "I just like music", "I dont like the arguing" is such a cop-out. You are on this forum and you should be learning how to do a proper comparison not whining about how you are treated when you dont do one. If there is no science applied then its all just useless.

The other problem is that 95% of the posters, (or make that any consumer) are going to expect that the $500 CDP is going to sound better then the older model they had and when it "does" they are happy to justify their purchase. Just as the guy who spends $500 on cables.
post #96 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Only for those who let it be subjective

And it is purely objective to those who "think" it is totally objective, but again you are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else is entitled to their opinion, my guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle. After all, hyperbole is nothing but a preface to war. It is always the soldiers in the trenches that get the short end of the stick, so I agree to disagree.
post #97 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

Alll of that is great but if people are going to do comparisons of CDPs (or anything really) without removing all the varibles (time synch, voltage etc, the mind) then what good are the results? Yeah, I am all for hearing people opinions but if they are based on false info and placebos are they really helping the posters who really want to know the truth?

Just because its an opinion does not mean its helpful. And this whole "I am a regular person", "I just like music", "I dont like the arguing" is such a cop-out. You are on this forum and you should be learning how to do a proper comparison not whining about how you are treated when you dont do one. If there is no science applied then its all just useless.

The other problem is that 95% of the posters, (or make that any consumer) are going to expect that the $500 CDP is going to sound better then the older model they had and when it "does" they are happy to justify their purchase. Just as the guy who spends $500 on cables.

The problem with your premise is that in your world only a perfect controlled environment would permit an acceptable comparison. You have only made my point, you are only interested in bench tests and this is not a bench test thread, it is an owner's thread, so go start your own bench test thread somewhere elese and leave the owners to their thread.
post #98 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:

I for one would like to hear owner's personal opinions of how this player compares to other players that they have owned or listened to in the sub $2000 price range. Can we all agree to play nice and permit these people opportunity to share their experience with this product.

[/b]

it will never happen

Traditionally what happens is people eventually give up arguing with the "pack", stop posting and find a site that moderates personal attackers more closely.

It's ashame because there is a wealth of info here and even some of the "I have an obligation" to make posters miserable here posters are swell fellas off the subject.

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
post #99 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exhibit A

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.
post #100 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so go start your own bench test thread somewhere elese and leave the owners to their thread.

He'll be back, you'll see.

post #101 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem with your premise is that in your world only a perfect controlled environment would permit an acceptable comparison. You have only made my point, you are only interested in bench tests and this is not a bench test thread, it is an owner's thread, so go start your own bench test thread somewhere elese and leave the owners to their thread.

So that is what this is all about? I want a bench test? No I want to be told that something is better than something else with a little science behind it. Perhaps it is you that should find somewhere else to post? This is AVScience forum. So, nobody has the right to complain when people ask for a little bit of a control in thier comparison.

So, thanks for making my point. There are plenty of other sites for you and your cronies to post on where you wont get questioned about your methods nor have your results scrutinized. You can tell everyone on these sites that your new CDP was better than your old CDP because your ears, eyes, and brain told you.

If you cant tell the difference between a bench test and a comparison where some varibles are removed then you my friend are the one that needs to do a little reading here. Then again 15 posts into the forum I should not expect much.
post #102 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys are unbelievable. You complain that there is badgering and mean posters here but when someone asks about a controlled test or a fair comparison you all run to each others aid and fly off the handle and tell all the posters who want a test done properly that we are mean and insane and only interested in what machines tell us.
post #103 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

He'll be back, you'll see.

Told ya he'd be back.

post #104 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Told ya he'd be back.

And of course you are in the middle of the same ole same ole again.
post #105 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

You guys are unbelievable. You complain that there is badgering and mean posters here but when someone asks about a controlled test or a fair comparison you all run to each others aid and fly off the handle and tell all the posters who want a test done properly that we are mean and insane and only interested in what machines tell us.

As a psychiatrist I can tell you that this is a controlled test and names of potential extremists will be given to DHS to be added to the high level watch list.

ÂThe cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the seaÂ
post #106 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Told ya he'd be back.

I have never seen you post anything, except comments about other posters.

At least the posters you keep deriding actually help people when they have questions on how something works, or how to hook up an item. You know, an actual contribution to the forum, you should try it sometime.
post #107 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

I have never seen you post anything, except comments about other posters.

At least the posters you keep deriding actually help people when they have questions on how something works, or how to hook up an item. You know, an actual contribution to the forum, you should try it sometime.

Your first post in the thread, second reply, "At least you know up front how seriously to take his review.

As far as the dimming display, I've never had a CD player that couldn't dim the display, or completely turn it off. If that's the most compelling feature, I guess I'll pass."

Once again it was so friendly I felt compelled to add support.

By the way, in case you missed it I never had a CD player that dimmed and I found that interesting. Irrelevant to my needs but interesting.

post #108 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

AVS being a big forum, I only have time to visit two or three sections so I can't judge the rest but as for this section goes, I would like to see some examples that back up your statement.

as a psychiatrist i cannot ethically do that as it would imply certain individuals fall into that category which would violate their privacy. thus it must remain a general statement--sorry.
post #109 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:

my guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle.

You sure do have the right to make guesses.
When it comes to CDP differences within audible realm, do you happened to know the truth?

Quote:

After all, hyperbole is nothing but a preface to war. It is always the soldiers in the trenches that get the short end of the stick

And this somehow has something to do with comparing CDPs?
post #110 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

as a psychiatrist i cannot ethically do that as it would imply certain individuals fall into that category which would violate their privacy. thus it must remain a general statement--sorry.

No one on this forum had to know that you are a psychiatrist. But you let it be known just to come up with an excuse to avoid proving your statement. If you had to generalize about people like that, why even bother posting it?

Why view it as narcissism? Why not Good Samaritan?
post #111 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCecco View Post

I got my ERC-1 yesterday and have it connected by balanced output to my Onkyo 885 to am XPA2 amp to Salk Sound HT2's. I was using a Pioneer PDF-1039 changer. The ERC-1 is an upgrade over the Pioneer. I also have in my rack an OPPO 980 that had a $400 hdmi audio mod and I have an OPPO BD83. I have not had time to do a comparison between the 980, BD83, and the ERC-1. I am using the pure audio mode of the 885 to limit any processing in the Onkyo 885. I do not have any test equipment only my ears and what I like music to sound like, so my opinion is only that, an opinion. I will try to compare the OPPO's to the ERC-1 when I get some free time to do so.So far I am pleased with the ERC-1 . I do not like to post because I am an regular person who likes music and does not wished to be degraded for not being an expert.I will report back on my other comparisons when I can.

hows about the balanced outs compared to the 2 ch rca--any different? i assure you im genuinely curious not interested in flaming or putting anyone down!! also how about connected to that preamp via digital connection--if you get a chance how that compares to the d-a conversion in the cdp. im curious as i have a cousin who may be interested and he has an onkyp 906 avr and this may be a good machine for him.
post #112 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No one on this forum had to know that you are a psychiatrist. But you let it be known just to come up with an excuse to avoid proving your statement. If you had to generalize about people like that, why even bother posting?

i had posted this before when it was demanded of me in a different thread. even if it werent true i would not want to implicate any one person or poster--that would be somewhat sociopathic and something i would avoid regardless of profession. if you have trouble finding examples of this you may want to review the definitions because it is everywhere. to some extent that is exactly the point--arguing methodology or science is one thing--examples of this can be found in chu's posts--altough he uses humor to make jabs at times he also makes aruments which we can agree or disagree with based on how he understands science and is well respected for it.

others however, are clearly more interested in being right and taking their opinions and presenting them as fact while clearly putting down others who are here innocently being hobbyists and sharing their excitement with others. saying without equivocation that others are wrong or stupid because they have an enthusiastic opinion or observation that may not have stemmed from several double blind listening tests and extensive bench testing doesn;t make them stupid or wrong or uninformed. i think that we always are aware of when people are presenting their opinion as opposed to a scientific study of a component and know to take it for what it is. when people are ridiculed for doing this it comes across to me as an obvious expression of misplaced anger that is very much unfair and undeserved by the op. it is not like im the first person to point this out.

it is one thing for people to disagree and another entirely to belittle and ridicule. uf youy want to tell me its a cop out go ahaid i can take it but I have a hard time seeing many of your other posys in other threads that you don't have an awareness that this occurrs...I will not, however, disparage other posters here in the interest of making a point. sorry. sorry for the ot...

ps being a good samaritan and being narcisstic are also not mutually exclusinve--you can be both. the question being asked is an interesting one indeed though. indeed a hallmark of narcissism is lack of empathy, which i am guessing is part of the reason there is so much of this here. definitely something to ponder.
post #113 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Wow I wanted to see what people though of the new ERC-1 but instead It's 4 pages of people complaining.
So does anyone have a actual personal review with this player? Looks like a nice unit.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #114 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:

others however, are clearly more interested in being right and taking their opinions and presenting them as fact while clearly putting down others who are here innocently being hobbyists and sharing their excitement with others. saying without equivocation that others are wrong or stupid because they have an enthusiastic opinion or observation that may not have stemmed from several double blind listening tests and extensive bench testing doesn;t make them stupid or wrong or uninformed. i think that we always are aware of when people are presenting their opinion as opposed to a scientific study of a component and know to take it for what it is. when people are ridiculed for doing this it comes across to me as an obvious expression of misplaced anger that is very much unfair and undeserved by the op. it is not like im the first person to point this out.

Where do you come up with these imaginations? Do you have any evidence to support your accusations?

Quote:

it is one thing for people to disagree and another entirely to belittle and ridicule. uf youy want to tell me its a cop out go ahaid i can take it but I have a hard time seeing many of your other posys in other threads that you don't have an awareness that this occurrs...I will not, however, disparage other posters here in the interest of making a point. sorry. sorry for the ot...

I'm not anyone's posse. Any evidence? You sure are full of imagination.

Quote:

ps being a good samaritan and being narcisstic are also not mutually exclusinve--you can be both. the question being asked is an interesting one indeed though. indeed a hallmark of narcissism is lack of empathy, which i am guessing is part of the reason there is so much of this here. definitely something to ponder.

Same as above.

Quote:

hows about the balanced outs compared to the 2 ch rca--any different? i assure you im genuinely curious not interested in flaming or putting anyone down!! also how about connected to that preamp via digital connection--if you get a chance how that compares to the d-a conversion in the cdp. im curious as i have a cousin who may be interested and he has an onkyp 906 avr and this may be a good machine for him.

You would know the answer to those issues if you've spent a good amount of time reading threads on this section of the forum. Something tells me that you have not which explains your lack of grip on what some members are talking about when mentioning DBT and its implications.

It is apparent that you are one of those subjectivists. As usual among them, scientific findings don't matter and if someone posts something you don't like, you want them be shut.

Do I sound like I'm trying to ridicule you? Perhaps but only to someone who comes up with ridiculous accusations like those.
post #115 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for the great thread everyone. I am now sold on the ERC-1 and will be ordering it next payday. I will do a DBT and tell you if it sounds better then the DVD player I'm using now.

I think at this price point a lot of people will want to know if it is worth having a separate CDP so my goal is to find out if I can hear a difference. I'm no audiofile so it will be strictly from a average Joe point of view. I will try to get a few people in the room so we can get an average for a group. Any "burn in" will be just by chance as I play with it until the test can be done. My room and gear are not the best but do represent real world for most of us here if I had to guess.

I hope it will help some people make a decision on the unit and for those that feel my methods are not good enough I'd just like to say in advance, sorry.

ÂThe cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the seaÂ
post #116 of 881 Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 PM

Having read through 4 pages of this soap opera, I have once again reminded myself as to why I frequent this forum less and less. Though I am now checking with all the manufacturers of equipment in my home theater to ensure that they have been tested and properly certified in accordance with US regulations for FCC Part 15 emissions. That's all I need is to have federal agents in my home arresting me for illegal contraband.
post #117 of 881 Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

How does Emotiva compare to Rotel players, either the older 1072, or newer 1520 (with Wolfson)?

Thanks

Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD, Elite BDP-05FD, Elite 72TXV, B&W 805/XTC/M1.
post #118 of 881 Old 05-31-2009, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No one on this forum had to know that you are a psychiatrist. But you let it be known just to come up with an excuse to avoid proving your statement. If you had to generalize about people like that, why even bother posting it?

Why view it as narcissism? Why not Good Samaritan?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100068

Check this thread which was closed down because of the posters described by Denophile.
There are countless examples in here.

"Good Samaritan" now that is a door to something.

post #119 of 881 Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is apparent that you are one of those subjectivists. As usual among them, scientific findings don't matter and if someone posts something you don't like, you want them be shut.

Do I sound like I'm trying to ridicule you? Perhaps but only to someone who comes up with ridiculous accusations like those.

I guess you are way smarter than I because it is not "apparent" to me that Denophile is a one dimensional subjectivist as you claim.
I will say that I believe you have helped his point along with this reply.

post #120 of 881 Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

Here is an interested buyer and here are three pages of the owner's thread. The only new things I've learned about the CDP so far are dimming lights and some US electrical warning label is missing... c'mon... Let's stick to the thread title... Where are more reviews from owners. I understand it's just been released, but at three pages I was expected more Emotiva CDP related meaty experiences.

-- of course me adding this comment doesn't help much Well, hopefully it'll help a little over time.

yah all iv read about so far, is a pissing match between a handful of stuffey no it alls that dont need a new cd player. i enjoy reading reviews about new equipment, that gets the upgrade bug going.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page