post #181 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingOK View Post

At night.............I'm a sucker for blue lights....reminds me of Kmart. ;-)

It's a purposeful imitation of McIntosh esthetics.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

It's a purposeful imitation of McIntosh esthetics.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Either way, I'm happy with my purchase and have learned a lot on this site. Keep educating people, that's why we are here.
post #183 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Not that I'm trying to chase anyone out of AVS, but seeing as how some people are outright excited about Emotiva's new CDP introduction and want to hear about their experiences, seeing as Emotiva is pretty much a niche player, wouldn't it make more sense to mosey on down to their forum where you're likely to find what you're looking for? Was that a run on sentence?

Well, not sure but it could have been made with two or three
post #184 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Not that I'm trying to chase anyone out of AVS, but seeing as how some people are outright excited about Emotiva's new CDP introduction and want to hear about their experiences, seeing as Emotiva is pretty much a niche player, wouldn't it make more sense to mosey on down to their forum where you're likely to find what you're looking for? Was that a run on sentence?

I think my-self and others would rather get 3rd party responses on a 3rd party message board.

Same reason I don't solicit responses for the Polk M70's on the Polk forums.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #185 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Didn't expect this level of maturity from this forum, that's for sure. Now back on topic, I have really enjoyed my listening room setup thus far. As an audio enthusiast I am finally truly enjoying this hobby for what it is to me. Fun, tweaks and a little DIY when needed. Now if I can only figure out the whole room acoustics mess I'd be good to go.

A few pics to break up the monotony:

At night.............I'm a sucker for blue lights....reminds me of Kmart. ;-)

DoingOK I am happy that you are enjoying your system setup.

Please furnish us with all the graphs and all the specs for each component in your system and show us scientifically how you have used this information so that your system is being utilized to it's fullist capability.

I am sorry but without this information there is no way that you can prove that you are enjoying what you are hearing.

Mark
post #186 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:

Didn't expect this level of maturity from this forum, that's for sure. Now back on topic, I have really enjoyed my listening room setup thus far. As an audio enthusiast I am finally truly enjoying this hobby for what it is to me. Fun, tweaks and a little DIY when needed. Now if I can only figure out the whole room acoustics mess I'd be good to go.

A few pics to break up the monotony:

It's gorgeous...but what are we soft organic lifeforms gonna do when it develops intelligence?
post #187 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Krabapple and Penn,

Short and sweet. What I'm saying is that backyard enthusiast measuring equipment in a driveway is not professional and not scientific. You can measure all you want to, but it is going to be your own measurements not done by a pro.

A professional is someone that has been trained in something, not someone duking it out with a retail sales clerk. If that is your measure of being professional, then I suspect there are quite a few more pros here than I thought.

Guys, I spent 6 years in the business going to every trade show imaginable. I know what a anachoic chamber is and I know how all of this equipment is tested. I have been trained by many of the industry pros that you speak of Penn.

I could really care less what you are posting, but if you think you are passing along scientific industry standards you are deluding yourself and misleading the people that take advice from your post.

I say this in generalities and not directed at you two, but this forum would be a more enjoyable place to be if the "pros" were more accepting of everyone posting an opinion. Otherwise the threads just turn into crud like this.
post #188 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

It's gorgeous...but what are we soft organic lifeforms gonna do when it develops intelligence?

I'm still working on that. I plan on tripping it up with the cable lifts and my bi-wiring as my first line of defense.

post #189 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

If you disagree with them point it out.

Up to this point, it's something he can't do.
post #190 of 881 Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1976 View Post

Short and sweet. What I'm saying is that backyard enthusiast measuring equipment in a driveway is not professional and not scientific. You can measure all you want to, but it is going to be your own measurements not done by a pro.

I've seen a pro speaker designer who uses "driveway measuring" method and talks about what he observed from different brands of speakers.
post #191 of 881 Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1976 View Post

Krabapple and Penn,

You are aware that there are pros on AVSforum, right? As in trained audio professionals for whom measuring stuff is part of their living?

Quote:
I could really care less what you are posting, but if you think you are passing along scientific industry standards you are deluding yourself and misleading the people that take advice from your post.

You realize that just in the past few months, we have posts on AVS forum from Sean Olive, Earl Geddes, Todd Welti, Roger Dressler, James Johnston, Bob Lee, Terry Montlick, Dennis Erskine, Chris Kyriakis, to name the ones off the top of my head?

You realize that some of us non-pros actually learn from *their* writings, here and elsewhere? And that some of us also have at least some formal training in engineering and/or scientific method? You on the other hand have taught me exactly nothing so far, except about you.

Quote:
I say this in generalities and not directed at you two, but this forum would be a more enjoyable place to be if the "pros" were more accepting of everyone posting an opinion. Otherwise the threads just turn into crud like this.

Except opinions aren't all equally valid.
post #192 of 881 Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Ladies and Germs,

Please do not do this on this thread! I sought this thread out as on the Emotiva Emotions when I mentioned the ERC was informed that it was for amps and processors and there was another thread on the Media player.

I lost my job early April this year but rebounding to a better one next week. Even in my trying times I never lose perspective on what is truly important in our lives. I am planning on ordering the ERC the minute I receive my offer letter. I for one never really bought into high end audio until recently say last 5 years and have been upgrading speakers to B&W, video scalers, new emotiva xpa 3 but had always thought cd player is cd player and have owned a simple Technics for 20 years.

I have read with great interest on the Emo forum from other experienced enthusiasts that have Musical Fidelity, Sony xa7es, cambridge, oppo, denon high end, NADs, Rotel, Tube players, esoteric $5k plus players, external DAC's on existing players and so on with great appreciation for the build quality and sound from the ERC.

I came to this forum as it specifically was an ERC Owners thread and good grief I have to wade through 7 pages of really sad stuff. I know you guys and you know who you are from our other forum and this is outlandish for you! There are maybe 3 owners that are trying to share impressions and then all this other stuff! Good Grief again!

Please order the player try the 30 days, make a positive or at least honest plus informed contribution and be a role model in every aspect of your life! The folks at Emotiva only had 125 players manufactured for the first shipment but another coming in. Compared to the mass markets it is a pitance in volume. I would really like about to hear from some of the other owners on their impressions good or bad. It is not useful to anyone to have shear speculation on audio products without trial and FCC stuff.

We are all capable of better! I am trying to learn on these forums and for the most part it has been a wonderful experience!

SticknStones
"I was not born a wise man but I am learning the trade" roo
B&W 802's, Emotiva - XMC-1, (2) XPA-2's bi-wired, XPA-3, ERC-1, XDA-2, (2) Ultra-12 subs, & DSPeaker - antimode 8033c
post #193 of 881 Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

I think my-self and others would rather get 3rd party responses on a 3rd party message board.

Same reason I don't solicit responses for the Polk M70's on the Polk forums.

Well, if you read the comment below, you'll see that precious few units have been manufactured as opposed to the Polk's you mention. Hence, while I appreciate your POV with respect to taking with a grain of salt the comments from people who belong to the Emotiva forum, until the user base grows signficantly, there will be precious few comments the further you go from the mother ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknstones View Post

Ladies and Germs,

Please do not do this on this thread! I sought this thread out as on the Emotiva Emotions when I mentioned the ERC was informed that it was for amps and processors and there was another thread on the Media player.

I lost my job early April this year but rebounding to a better one next week. Even in my trying times I never lose perspective on what is truly important in our lives. I am planning on ordering the ERC the minute I receive my offer letter. I for one never really bought into high end audio until recently say last 5 years and have been upgrading speakers to B&W, video scalers, new emotiva xpa 3 but had always thought cd player is cd player and have owned a simple Technics for 20 years.

I have read with great interest on the Emo forum from other experienced enthusiasts that have Musical Fidelity, Sony xa7es, cambridge, oppo, denon high end, NADs, Rotel, Tube players, esoteric $5k plus players, external DAC's on existing players and so on with great appreciation for the build quality and sound from the ERC.

I came to this forum as it specifically was an ERC Owners thread and good grief I have to wade through 7 pages of really sad stuff. I know you guys and you know who you are from our other forum and this is outlandish for you! There are maybe 3 owners that are trying to share impressions and then all this other stuff! Good Grief again!

Please order the player try the 30 days, make a positive or at least honest plus informed contribution and be a role model in every aspect of your life! The folks at Emotiva only had 125 players manufactured for the first shipment but another coming in. Compared to the mass markets it is a pitance in volume. I would really like about to hear from some of the other owners on their impressions good or bad. It is not useful to anyone to have shear speculation on audio products without trial and FCC stuff.

We are all capable of better! I am trying to learn on these forums and for the most part it has been a wonderful experience!

It is quite likely that your 20 year old Technics no longer meets its original specification, but without some cursory measurements upon your part contrasted to a newer one like the ERC you're considering, you'll never know. Well, you will if you observe that the ERC has something like a more authoritative bass

BTW, congratulations on your new job. I hope it pays well and meets your expectations.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #194 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 11:11 AM

I thought the members of the Narcissist Society would have flamed out by now, but instead they have only defined themselves and grown in numbers. They also keep asking for proof that they are arrogant, sanctimonious bags of wind, belittling, denigrating and insulting people. Again, all one has to do is read what they have posted here and other threads to get all the data they need to shore up this egotistical behavior at the expense of others. Yes, it is objectional data since it is from them. If I had a magic wand I would wave it in front of my monitor and this thread and say loudly, Narcissist be gone!

DoingOk, thanks for the pictures and trying to keep the thread on track for Glenee. I hope other owners will still share their opinions with us.

Since we have thrown so many off-track things into this thread, I thought I would add to the hyperbole. Thomas Nagel, philosopher, has a career that now spans fifty years of publication. It can, however, all be understood as structured around a central distinction between subjective and objective points of view of a subject matter.

Nagel thinks that each of us, owing to our capacity to reason, instinctively seeks a unified worldview. However, if this aspiration leads us to believe that there is one way to understand our intellectual commitments, whether about the external world, knowledge, or what our practical and moral reasons ought to be then this leads us into error. For contingent, limited and finite creatures such as ourselves no such unified world view is possible. That is because ways of understanding are not always better when they are more objective.

What does a burned finger feel like? What does the blueness of the sky look like? What does nice music sound like? Describe God?

I'll try it one more time (waving immaginary magic wand), "Narcissist be gone!

Peace, L

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are. "- Kurt Cobain
post #195 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lngbruno View Post

I thought the members of the Narcissist Society would have flamed out by now, but instead they have only defined themselves and grown in numbers. They also keep asking for proof that they are arrogant, sanctimonious bags of wind, belittling, denigrating and insulting people. Again, all one has to do is read what they have posted here and other threads to get all the data they need to shore up this egotistical behavior at the expense of others. Yes, it is objectional data since it is from them.

Can you show some examples of that?
post #196 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

They also keep asking for proof that they are arrogant, sanctimonious bags of wind, belittling, denigrating and insulting people. Again, all one has to do is read what they have posted here and other threads to get all the data they need to shore up this egotistical behavior at the expense of others. Yes, it is objectional data since it is from them. If I had a magic wand I would wave it in front of my monitor and this thread and say loudly, “Narcissist be gone!”

Um......you do realize that you and a few others are the only posters that are insulting people in this thread?

Heck, you have 26 post since 2006......if you wish to just insult with your limited number of posts maybe you should consider lurking and learning something instead

Another suggestion is that if everyone wants the discussion to end, just stop lobing insults and insanely ignorant opinions back at people

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #197 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I accept all validated opinion the rest should be deleted

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #198 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Can you show some examples of that?

LMAO, Great post.

This is a great example of why I keep coming back!

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #199 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can probably get a wand on the internet

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #200 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I just waded through all these pages of in-fighting and insults and really would really like to know why. It's entertaining, I'll give it that much.

What's the point?

This is not an Emotiva ERC-1 owner's thread at all. There is very little information here at all on this cd player.

Is it too much to ask (it's probably too late) that this become a user's thread as opposed to a battle zone?
post #201 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

This is not an Emotiva ERC-1 owner's thread at all. There is very little information here at all on this cd player.

There's very little information because while there's billions of people, the initial shipment was said to be only 125 units. Not everyone who bought one, assuming they were all sold, posts on the internet. Those that do will post to any one of the many sites on the web. Those that post, you don't know anything about. So, while I'm personally pleased that whomever bought it is satisfied with their purchase, with all due respect to them, the reviews generally amount to testimonials. Generally speaking we all rationalize our purchases to ourselves and sometimes seek validation from others whether in real life or this virtual environment. What compels us to buy something is often quite unique to ourselves. After we buy it, we rationalize to ourselves why our purchase was a good one. Maybe the best one. Plenty of us purchase vehicles that are known to be problematic in one way or another. Yet, we keep them and tell ourselves, rightly or wrongly, this problem isn't that big a deal, that noise at highway speeds really isn't objectionable, and so forth.
With this CDP, my interest is in hearing if there are usability issues. I expect I'll read about more personal reviews from the reviewing mills that crank these babies out faster than octomom. I'll be curious though to see measurements of the player at its different settings because I'm interested in whether there's uniform consistency across the board. If that happens though, it'll probably be months or never from now.
In the meantime, don't expect a flood of user comments at any one particular site with the probable exception of Emotiva's.

post #202 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Chu Gai, thanks for the two posts above and countless others that even when targeted at myself are humorist.
Good, job
best regards
eljr

post #203 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm curious to what is normally tested or what tolerances or standards do CDP's get tested against? I can honestly say that I really didn't expect to hear a difference when I swapped out my $300 NAD player with the $400 Emotiva unit. I have 20 years of nuclear engineering background and am very ANALytical and skeptical to exorbitant claims made by manufacturers. I played one of my favorite Dire Straits albums followed by Aja by Steely Dan and was pleasantly surprised when I heard these very familiar albums in a different note. I even brought my girlfriend in to have her listen (OK, dragged her in...lol). Without going into fancy audiophile flowery prose, my best description would be there were sounds and clarity that wasn't noticed with the other CD player. I was truly impressed and went through several tracks to make sure I was actually hearing a difference. The differences were subtle yet definitely noticeable. I have no desire to set up DBT's or go through excruciating electrical measurement testing, I'll leave that to those that enjoy it. All in all, I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to reading any professional reviews that come out in the near future.

Might not be a perfect analogy, but I compare my C6 Z06 corvette to the Emotiva line. It might not be perfect or have fancy materials, but it is nice knowing that the F430 that I just passed on the road course probably was none too pleased being beat by the lowly Chevrolet. And for the record, I have a 2008 Porsche in the garage for weekend fun, albeit slower than the vette. ;-) In my unprofessional opinion only..........you get pretty damn good performance for your money with Emotiva.
post #204 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Why are people shocked or impressed when one CDP "sounds better" than another? There is no question you are hearing something but do people realize what they are hearing and more importantly why?
post #205 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

Why are people shocked or impressed when one CDP "sounds better" than another? There is no question you are hearing something but do people realize what they are hearing and more importantly why?

interesting point. please explain further.
post #206 of 881 Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 PM

post #207 of 881 Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

You guys just never give up the fight do you? Bruins29 how many DBT of two CDP have you conducted? Any? Or do you just believe BLINDLY that someone elses DBT test is gospel.

Mark
post #208 of 881 Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I haven't conducted any sort of blind tests on homepathic preparations, talking to the dead, Reiki, or remote viewing, but I've got a sneaking suspicion I don't need to.

post #209 of 881 Old 06-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't conducted any sort of blind tests on homepathic preparations, talking to the dead, Reiki, or remote viewing, but I've got a sneaking suspicion I don't need to.

I would not be so sure about all of those (such as Reiki).
I remember watching a TV programme presented by a medical research doctor who truly believed that the blow to the neck found in karate martial arts (which could knock a person unconscious) was a myth portrayed by films.

He visited a grandmaster who in the world of martial arts was recognised to have this skill and it was demonstrated to the doctor.
Still not believing this, he measured the brainwaves of those attacked with the blow, this showed that the student was probably losing conconsiousness, but was still not convinced as he felt it could be a combination of bias/peer pressure.

So he decided to take the blow himself, was funny to watch as it took the grandmaster a minute to fully revive the Dr (who also was monitored for brainwave activity).
The Dr's conclusion apart from feeling very **** from the blow, was that it did actually work even though medically it should not (the artery was blocked for a maximum of one second, but medically would require around 10 seconds).
The grandmaster offered to do the attack again, funny enough the Dr refused and was more than happy it was not a myth.

Funny story anyway

Cheers
DT
post #210 of 881 Old 06-04-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Chu Gai what are you talking about? Eljr has been talking to you flatliners for years now.

Mark
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page