Emotiva ERC-1 CD Players Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 881 Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Well I have received the Unit. It is absolutley Beautifull. It worth $399.00 on looks alone. I got it burning in on a 24 track CD for the next 50 hrs then we'll set down and do some evaluating. One thing I like about it right away is the 2-Analog output's It makes it so much quicker and truer to select interconnects for personal taste. Since they are both active all the time just hook up to two different CD inputs set the Pre Pro to pass thru and switch back and forth. Nice feature Saves a lot of time before the Big Review. The unit has a nice Dim feature on the lights if you are using 12v Triggers for all equipment like me. When watching a Movie you can dim it and it turns off all the Blue lights, so as to not interfer with the movie, but can be turned on while playing Music. Did I say this thing is sexy. I'm sure the interconnects could change to different ones after Burn-In but right now the Van Den Hul First Ultimates Look like a marriage.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 881 Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

I'm sure the interconnects could change after Burn-In but

Red flag
post #3 of 881 Old 05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Red flag

At least you know up front how seriously to take his review.

As far as the dimming display, I've never had a CD player that couldn't dim the display, or completely turn it off. If that's the most compelling feature, I guess I'll pass.
post #4 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Those Van De Hulls...they use carbon fiber as the conductor...isn't that like what many OEM spark plug wires use?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #5 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Well, it didn't take long for the usual suspects to chime in.

Don't mind them Glenee, there are many AVS'ers interested in this player and your listening impressions.
post #6 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

At least you know up front how seriously to take his review.

As far as the dimming display, I've never had a CD player that couldn't dim the display, or completely turn it off. If that's the most compelling feature, I guess I'll pass.

Thanks William you just saved me a ton of work.

post #7 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Those Van De Hulls...they use carbon fiber as the conductor...isn't that like what many OEM spark plug wires use?

Same Principal but a little different. When we were young we made interconnects out of spark plug wires.

post #8 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As one of the usual suspects, why has this unit not been tested and properly certified in accordance with US regulations for FCC Part 15 emissions? IOW, why is it being sold in this country illegally such that the importer places his company in a situation where he's subject to punative fines?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #9 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Well, it didn't take long for the usual suspects to chime in.

Don't mind them Glenee, there are many AVS'ers interested in this player and your listening impressions.

I went back and read some of their post. Just some real winners. 95% of the post are negative.

post #10 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
LOL...you and Par4 are the "usual suspects" Please! Burn-in, LOL!
post #11 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, Glenee, no one is saying your CDP doesn't perform competently nor suggesting you ought not to let it play on unattended simply to make sure there are no electrical or mechanical issues. Easy now. For those who are interested, there's a video of the unit.
My question, which perhaps you know the answer to, is why is Emotiva cutting corners with respect to meeting government regulations. For that matter, they're bypassing European regulations by not having the unit certified or self-certified in accordance with relevant CE standards. FWIW, Behringer tried skirting the issue domestically and wound up getting slapped with a $1,000,000 fine by the FCC which they had to pay.

post #12 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey, Glenee, no one is saying your CDP doesn't perform competently nor suggesting you ought not to let it play on unattended simply to make sure there are no electrical or mechanical issues. Easy now. For those who are interested, there's a video of the unit.
My question, which perhaps you know the answer to, is why is Emotiva cutting corners with respect to meeting government regulations. For that matter, they're bypassing European regulations by not having the unit certified or self-certified in accordance with relevant CE standards. FWIW, Behringer tried skirting the issue domestically and wound up getting slapped with a $1,000,000 fine by the FCC which they had to pay.

CHU, I wouldn't have a clue I am just a consumer. I know nothing about FCC Regulations. I for one don't check these things out before I buy a Electronic Piece.

post #13 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fair enough. I do. How's the unit when it comes to going from track to track and is it fairly quiet?

post #14 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Fair enough. I do. How's the unit when it comes to going from track to track and is it fairly quiet?

I have not had a lot of time with the unit, just got it yesterday. Seems to be smooth and quiet on track to track and Quiet in mechanical operations no whirling, click. or High pitched sound I have heard from others at 10X the price.. I heard nothing last night to draw attention to either.

post #15 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks William you just saved me a ton of work.

When I see claims of imaginary differences between wire, or the magic effects of burn-in, how can I trust the reviewer's opinion on the sound of the player? Sorry if that offends you.
post #16 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I see claims of imaginary differences between wire, or the magic effects of burn-in, how can I trust the reviewer's opinion on the sound of the player? Sorry if that offends you.

I guess a break in period is a myth, because I just fired up some new speakers today and the bass is 10x better now than it was when first I turned them on. That was after about 6 hours of play, it took less power to get more sound out of the same speaker on the same song with deeper bass.

Break in is real, cables are a little more tricky, but I'd agree to let the mechanical items get a fair amount of time on them before passing judgement.

Just turned on my first projector on 17 Aug 2007 and I think I am hooked :).

Why does everyone that comes over ask how much it cost?
post #17 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post

I guess a break in period is a myth, because I just fired up some new speakers today and the bass is 10x better now than it was when first I turned them on. That was after about 6 hours of play, it took less power to get more sound out of the same speaker on the same song with deeper bass.

Break in is real, cables are a little more tricky, but I'd agree to let the mechanical items get a fair amount of time on them before passing judgement.

Why do you bring up speakers when my reaction was about interconnect cable?
By the way, why are cables little more tricky?
post #18 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought this thread was about the ERC-1?

Anyway....got mine yesterday. First Emotiva product and am very happy with the quality of construction and sound. it's very dynamic and detailed. This is not a laid back player, but it's not cold either. Very impressed for the price.

One learning curve for me was the slot-load drive which works differently than most. It uses a magnetc arm instead of rollers and the display needs to say 'ready" prior to putting the disc in. Once I got the hang of it, I was fine.

The remote is aluminum, heavy and impressive.

No noises or internal sounds that I can hear while in operation. It does make a clicking sound when powering down

The display is bright and looks great to me. I understand how it can annoy some people however. A firend of mine with a Krell amp used to cover the blue lights on it with electrical tape! It can be dimmed.....most of the blue lights are shut off and the numerical display dims a notch.

So far I am very happy and impressed for the money. can't wait to get home and listen!
post #19 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:

How can you say this without any proof? Where is your proof that corners were cut? That the ERC-1 hasn't been certified. I have seen user pictures of their new ERC-1's and the CE designation IS on the backside.
post #20 of 881 Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

It does have the CE mark on the back. I believe it's required.
LL
post #21 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaturno View Post

How can you say this without any proof? Where is your proof that corners were cut? That the ERC-1 hasn't been certified. I have seen user pictures of their new ERC-1's and the CE designation IS on the backside.

1) Emotiva provides their own proof or actually lack of proof with respect to FCC compliance. The manual must contain the following 'boilerplate' phrase if it is indeed so certified and tested.
Quote:
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular
installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.

For products sold in Canada there also ought to be a relevant notation in the manual stating something like this...
Quote:
THIS CLASS B DIGITAL APPARATUS COMPLIES WITH CANADIAN ICES-003

I also see no mention whatsoever cautioning the user because the unit uses a laser.

2) My proof that corners have been cut are evidenced by the absence of relevant testing peculiar to the country or countries the product is sold in. Further the manual lacks appropriate safety admonitions. That means they didn't spend the money to test the unit, they didn't spend the money to have someone write a decent manual. Those are corners cut and the savings don't go to you.

3) There's a CE designation (real easy to silkscreen those on!) but CE can refer to just about anything. There ought to be a reference in the manual something like this...

...product described in this instruction manual is in compliance with the corresponding technical standards such as EN60065, EN55013, EN55020 and EN61000-3-2, -3-3.

There's great leniency with the CE standard because you can basically just self-certify. Now, that's generally not a problem unless something happens at which point you'd better have the supporting doc's and tests to back up your self-certification. Also, FWIW, CE is not allowed in the US as a substitute for FCC reg's.
Quote:

It does have the CE mark on the back. I believe it's required.

Read above. Check manual.

post #22 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

1) Emotiva provides their own proof or actually lack of proof with respect to FCC compliance. The manual must contain the following 'boilerplate' phrase if it is indeed so certified and tested.

For products sold in Canada there also ought to be a relevant notation in the manual stating something like this...

I also see no mention whatsoever cautioning the user because the unit uses a laser.

2) My proof that corners have been cut are evidenced by the absence of relevant testing peculiar to the country or countries the product is sold in. Further the manual lacks appropriate safety admonitions. That means they didn't spend the money to test the unit, they didn't spend the money to have someone write a decent manual. Those are corners cut and the savings don't go to you.

3) There's a CE designation (real easy to silkscreen those on!) but CE can refer to just about anything. There ought to be a reference in the manual something like this...

...product described in this instruction manual is in compliance with the corresponding technical standards such as EN60065, EN55013, EN55020 and EN61000-3-2, -3-3.

There's great leniency with the CE standard because you can basically just self-certify. Now, that's generally not a problem unless something happens at which point you'd better have the supporting doc's and tests to back up your self-certification. Also, FWIW, CE is not allowed in the US as a substitute for FCC reg's.
Read above. Check manual.

How much do manufactures have to pay Attorneys/ Gov.Fees/Lab Test to be able to write this in their Manual ? What does all this do for us as consumers ? What's the benefit's to Us as a whole ?
Thanks,
Glenee

post #23 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

I love it when I read post from individuals, who have never seen or heard a product, chime in on why not to like it or buy it. Sounds like they may work for the competition...maybe. Smells like it, too. As the owner of several Emotiva products, I can say without hesitation: Emotiva makes quality products, customer service is second to none and performance is as advertised....no more; No less! I thought the headline read: Emotiva ERC-1 CD Players Owner's Thread.
post #24 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post

I love it when I read post from individuals, who have never seen or heard a product, chime in on why not to like it or buy it. Sounds like they may work for the competition...maybe. Smells like it, too.

No wonder. When posters like you make accusations like this against technically savvy posters like Chu, it does seem to stink up the place a little...possibly it's the smell of desperation?
post #25 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How much do manufactures have to pay Attorneys/ Gov.Fees/Lab Test to be able to write this in their Manual ?

Not as much as you'd think. Let's say well under $5K US There are plenty of companies here and overseas that can perform the relevant testing to meet the applicable regulations for substantially less and seeing as the product is cranked out in the asian audio mills, that shouldn't be much of a problem. It's rather irrelvent don't you think as it's the cost of doing business. Just like when he takes a trip to CES or whereever to showcase his product and the room rental, hotel room, travel, food, entertainment, dry cleaning, and everything else he can remember to put down on the expense report is charged to the company and then ultimately to what you pay for your CDP or whatever.

Quote:

What does all this do for us as consumers ? What's the benefit's to Us as a whole ?
Thanks,
Glenee

Some of the benefit is the company's. It protects them from liability issues should some foolish soul look at the laser and have their eyes damaged. By adhering to existing regulations the consumer is given some measure of assurance that besides hearing about all the power supplies, and all the relays, and all the DAC's & OP AMPs, the manufacturer actually had their unit tested and it's manufactured such that it doesn't cause electromagnetic interference and all that. It gives you, the consumer, a measure of protection. The few thousand or whatever it is that Emotiva ought to be paying pales in comparison to what they face in fines. Read the following regarding what happened to Behringer. Or, just do your own google search.

But you know Glenee, rather than attempting to defend the practices of an organization that makes attractive looking units at relatively attractive price points while skirting/breaking laws and regulations, the focus ought to be upon why they're doing it and publically bringing it to their attention.

post #26 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I love it when I read post from individuals, who have never seen or heard a product, chime in on why not to like it or buy it. Sounds like they may work for the competition...maybe. Smells like it, too. As the owner of several Emotiva products, I can say without hesitation: Emotiva makes quality products, customer service is second to none and performance is as advertised....no more; No less! I thought the headline read: Emotiva ERC-1 CD Players Owner's Thread.

Myself, I'm not telling you or anyone else not to like it or not to buy it. I'm directing your focus on another matter that has to do with with a secondary, albeit required, aspect that speaks to making quality products. Regulatory testing.

As to customer service being second to none, why that's marketing boilerplate. Currently, it seems to be pretty good but anyone who has followed the company knows they've had their issues. The best customer service is when you don't need it.

post #27 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't know if they Knew but I am sure they do by now Chu.

post #28 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They knew...oh, they knew. Regardless, it appears to be a very nice looking CDP. I'll be curious to see how it holds up over time. You could certainly pay an equivalent price and get something that's not as sharp looking. Now, all you've got to do is buy a Kuerig coffee maker and have all the lights match

post #29 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL...you have got to be kidding me. This coming from the poster who stated that the new Emotiva perpro will be twice as good then a prepro already out on the market! WTF, The unit has not been released. Thank you for showing how much of a credible source you are. I am not saying that Emotiva can’t build a good product, but let’s stay away from the HOMER comments Blind leading the Blind.
post #30 of 881 Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

LOL...you have got to be kidding me. This coming from the poster who stated that the new Emotiva perpro will be twice as good then a prepro already out on the market! WTF, The unit has not been released. Thank you for showing how much of a credible source you are. I am not saying that Emotiva can’t build a good product, but let’s stay away from the HOMER comments Blind leading the Blind.

More sage words from a resident genius.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page