Need Info on a Panasonic SL-780 Turntable -- Web Info Very Scarce - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any help on this matter, even a link would be appreciated. I have searched many places on the web already, but can't find any mention of this model number anywhere. Has anyone had any experience with this turntable or any similar.

Here's a photo set with pictures of the unit, including a snap-shot of it's model number.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mhanlen...7618532335703/

I picked it up at a pawn shop in Florida about 3 years ago for $15. It's been chugging along ever since, but I want to make sure that when an issue arises I'll be able to fix it. It says it requires stylus number "eps 31st sd." Googling this doesn't offer much help. And of course panasonic's support website offers no manual or information for anything this old. I even search completed ebay listings occasionally but have never seen one sold. I believe I've seen an SL-760, but that's as close as I've gotten.

I wonder is this even a US model?

Is it belt driven or a direct drive? If it's belt driven I'd like to keep one on hand in case it needs replacing.

Anyway a simple point in the right direction would help, especially info on a replacement stylus. It would be amazing to find an instruction manual, but that may be asking too much. Thanks for the help in advance guys. Also sorry about it's dustiness, it sits atop my stereo component rack. I guess I should have cleaned it up slightly before the photos, but it didn't look that dirty until I loaded the photos on my computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-22-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
If it's a belt drive, you should be able to lift the platter and see/replace the belt.

This is a record changer. (I presume you've figured out that you can stack several LPs at the top of that spindle, and they'll play one-at-a-time.) Generally not regarded a hi-fi, though obviously it works well enough.

You might try contacting Kevin Barrett at www.kabusa.com. If anybody know about this unit he will.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 3 Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For some reason, I thought that the belt might be hidden way down in the inner workings, and I'd have to take it apart. But, it is indeed a direct drive then, because it looks to have a gear that drives the table right under the platter.

I do know that it can play multiple records in a row, but I didn't realize there was a differentiation in terminology between a turntable and a "stacker." I just thought there were some turntables that offered this feature and others did not.

Audiophile quality or not, it still sounds good through my modest Polk RTi8s and vsx-d912 Pioneer receiver.

Anyway I'll see if I can find some info through this link.

EDIT: It looks like they have a replacement stylus, and I emailed them about info about this model. Anyway, at least I know where to get a stylus. I guess I need to do research on the quality of cartridges before I purchase though.

UPDATE: Well I got an email back, and they had no info on the turntable. I was directed to another website that had manuals and info on other classic turntables, but there was no mention of this one. Oh well, at least I know what stylus to get.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page