Yamaha DVD S1800 Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
Can someone please confirm whether or not the Yamaha DVD S1800 supports SACD/DVD-Audio over HDMI?

Thanks,
- Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No it does not.

Another thing to know if you are considering buying one: I tried both the DVD-S1700 and DVD-S1800 last year. They are actually identical internally, just different model years. I tried two 1700's and one 1800, all three players had the same issue reading DVD-R's and DVD+R's. After the player warmed up for 15 to 20 minutes there would be pauses and jumps when playing any DVDR's. After they had been on for a couple of hours, they would refuse to read them at all.

They always read DVD-A, SACD, and commercial DVD's just fine though.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerim View Post

No it does not.

Another thing to know if you are considering buying one: I tried both the DVD-S1700 and DVD-S1800 last year. They are actually identical internally, just different model years. I tried two 1700's and one 1800, all three players had the same issue reading DVD-R's and DVD+R's. After the player warmed up for 15 to 20 minutes there would be pauses and jumps when playing any DVDR's. After they had been on for a couple of hours, they would refuse to read them at all.

Thanks Jerim. So I'm assuming you'd use component out to play SACD/DVD-Audio media? Are you happy with the performance for commercial media? I'm trying to find a unit for under $300 that supports SACD & DVD-Audio, and delivers very good video performance. I started looking at the Denon 2930CI but apparently it has known reliability issues so I've ruled it out.

- Bill
post #4 of 29 Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkimura View Post

Thanks Jerim. So I'm assuming you'd use component out to play SACD/DVD-Audio media? Are you happy with the performance for commercial media? I'm trying to find a unit for under $300 that supports SACD & DVD-Audio, and delivers very good video performance. I started looking at the Denon 2930CI but apparently it has known reliability issues so I've ruled it out.

- Bill

I exchanged the first 1700 for another, assuming it was defective and exchanged that 1700 for the 1800. It was also returned. I expect any player in their original price range to play any disc without problems. I currently use a Pioneer DV-48AV for SACD over HDMI. and a Denon 1940ci for DVD movie playback. I'm very happy with both of those, and they were both on closeout for well under $100. Not sure if either model is still available.

If you don't play DVD-R's, you would probably be very happy with the Yamaha's, especially at current pricing.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I exchanged the first 1700 for another, assuming it was defective and exchanged that 1700 for the 1800. It was also returned. I expect any player in their original price range to play any disc without problems. I currently use a Pioneer DV-48AV for SACD over HDMI. and a Denon 1940ci for DVD movie playback. I'm very happy with both of those, and they were both on closeout for well under $100. Not sure if either model is still available.

If you don't play DVD-R's, you would probably be very happy with the Yamaha's, especially at current pricing.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I do burn DVD-R movies on occasion. I guess I'll just stick to standard audio cds on my Samsung Blu-Ray for the time-being. I'm not sure if the Samsung BD-P1500 would hinder my cd audio quality in any way being hooked up to Denon AVR-1910. In other words, would I gain anything in audio quality by getting a different player?

- Bill
post #6 of 29 Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkimura View Post

Hello,
Can someone please confirm whether or not the Yamaha DVD S1800 supports SACD/DVD-Audio over HDMI?

Thanks,
- Bill

Quote:

No it does not.

According to the manual it will play DVD-A via HDMI but not SACD.

this writeup also says it will do both via HDMI:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...irst-look.html

- Matt
Panny 42" G10
Onkyo TX-SR605
PS3 60Gb
Axiom M3 v2
post #7 of 29 Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM

DVD is over HDMI. SACD is analog only. Just bought the same player for use with denon 1910 (as posted below) and so far I have been really happy with it. We have had no issues with the players bass management and prefer listening to cd/sacd over the yamaha then through hdmi on our bluray. Also feel that the yamaha does a superior job of upscaling dvds. It seems a bargain for the money and I have been considering buying another.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
From the 1800 user manual:

Quote:

If you want to reproduce multi-channel Super Audio CD (SA-CD) and DVD-Audio, connect AUDIO OUT (6ch discrete) jacks of this unit to the corresponding input jacks of your AV receiver using commercially available audio pin cables.

Kinda weird to not offer it over HDMI on a current model. I upgraded from a Pioneer Elite DV-45a to DV-48 and prefer the sound of SACD's to an Onkyo TX-SR805 with DSD>Analog conversion in the receiver. No bass management required - all my speakers are full range and I turn the Servo 15v2's crossover to around 70Hz to avoid too many high frequencies like there are on certain discs LFE channels...The Stranger in particular.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

From the 1800 user manual:

Kinda weird to not offer it over HDMI on a current model.

The 1800 is not really a current model. It's identical to the 1700 that preceded it, they just changed the model number. The 1700 was released in 2006, the 1800 in 2007. I don't think they have actually made them in quite some time, the one I tried last year had a manufacture date of June, 2007.

If anyone is interested in trying the 1800, they are closing them out dirt cheap on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DVD-S18...7723005&sr=8-1
post #10 of 29 Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM

hi, could someone shed some light on something as i may be necessarily confused... i'd like to order this unit for it's audio capabilities primarily.... but when you say it's analog only for sacd... it means the outputs from this device are non digital (ex. hdmi, optical) eh? would it 'sound' inferior due to its analog only output?

for ex. if i buy a dvdA and a sacd of the same album, and alternate between the dvda and the sacd w/ this unit, are they gonna sound different?
post #11 of 29 Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post

hi, could someone shed some light on something as i may be necessarily confused... i'd like to order this unit for it's audio capabilities primarily.... but when you say it's analog only for sacd... it means the outputs from this device are non digital (ex. hdmi, optical) eh? would it 'sound' inferior due to its analog only output?

for ex. if i buy a dvdA and a sacd of the same album, and alternate between the dvda and the sacd w/ this unit, are they gonna sound different?

With this unit, both formats will only output via analog. There is always going to be a debate on analog Vs Digital....I'm not even sure which side I am on.

I am out of HDMI ports on my receiver so I am thinking I might just go with this model...

- Matt
Panny 42" G10
Onkyo TX-SR605
PS3 60Gb
Axiom M3 v2
post #12 of 29 Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull View Post

With this unit, both formats will only output via analog. There is always going to be a debate on analog Vs Digital....I'm not even sure which side I am on.

I am out of HDMI ports on my receiver so I am thinking I might just go with this model...

thanks... i dont mean to run a back/forth pro/con of analog vs digital... was just curious to gather some more understanding if i'm buying into a device that would lock me into something that doesn't sound as good and would thus defeat the purpose of a SACD source.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 PM

Again this unit is a bit odd because dvd is over hdmi and analog but sacd is only over analog. Over hdmi all sound processing, equalization, conversion, level matching, and bass management occur in the receiver. Over analog the digital to analog conversion, bass management, speaker level management, etc occur in the player. I have this player and like it for the money, but in the future I would prefer the sacd over hdmi because I feel that my denon does a better job with signal processing and bass management then the yamaha does.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmingdad View Post

Over analog the digital to analog conversion, bass management, speaker level management, etc occur in the player.

With certain processors, such as the Outlaw 950 which I have, it is possible to perform bass management on the multichannel analog signals in the processor. I had a Yamaha S1500 and did so, now I have a Oppo 980H and still have the Outlaw processor handle these functions. However, both the Outlaw 950 and the Oppo 980H are now discontinued.

You might consider a used Oppo 980H as it is much more flexible than the Yamaha, or the new Oppo blu ray combo players.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 164
You can also pick up the DVD-S2700 for less than $300 on eBay. Retail was $999 new. SQ should be much better.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone confirm that the 1800 does a direct DSD-->Analog conversion? In other words, it's not downgrading it to PCM first before sending it out via analog?

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM

no idea if its downgrading it to PCM but it does use Burr Brown DACs to process from digital to analog, which should be pretty decent. I have no problems with quality on this unit.
post #18 of 29 Old 03-20-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc5 View Post

As previously stated, both DVD-A and SA-CD are only through the analog output on this unit.

I just recently purchased a Yamaha DVD-S1800 off Amazon and find the analog output quality to be exceptionally good. An SA-CD (Mariah Carey "#1's" especially) through the analog output is PHENOMINALLY better than a CD and better than Blu-Ray PCM sources. I have no idea how much an SA-CD would differ going through HDMI verses Analog (this is my first SA-CD player), but the SA-CD Analog output on this unit is incredible, better than CD and Blu-Ray through HDMI for my system.

I also find I enjoy CD's and DVD's going through the analog output more than the HDMI output. The video upconversion is good, but very marginal to no image quality improvement versus my previous CD/DVD player (Sony DVP-NS77H) other than line resolution and handling of image movement.

Extremely happy with the Yamaha, do not miss the old Sony player except for its menu system. The front panel design matches up very well with my NAD T747 AVR, which in addition to the audio quality and price point is a major reason i went with it. For the price it's an excellent deal...
post #19 of 29 Old 03-20-2010, 07:50 AM

btw, buying new recver in 2010, arent they phasing out 5.1 analog inputs in recvers?
post #20 of 29 Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM

for video i believe they are, i'm not sure about audio as there are plenty of CD players, DACs, and all that will still need analog audio but yes I believe the Movie industry has effectively been able to start the phase out of analog video
post #21 of 29 Old 04-03-2010, 12:26 AM

I have to agree I have an older high-end yamaha CD player actualy I have 2 and both are having problems playing CD's but this is after over 15 years of constant use they were exceptional in there sound quality, so when they stopped working I was very upset knowing that to get anything that would sound like them would not be easy without spending a lot of money they were around $800 each when I got them back in 86 I looked at newer yamahas and they were at least $700.

All I can say is I always liked the sound of Yamaha Natural Sound CD players, I even picked there sound over a few Denon CD players ... So why am I saying all this? because I actually replaced my original Yamaha CD Player's with a Yamaha DVD S1800 and I am actualy quite happy, yes its an older model but I have to tell you many times the older stuff is built better, the build on this is nice it actualy does have a black aluminum faceplate and is more solid then even the $250 dollar Sonys nothing like my old Yamahas but then again they were a lot more money and for the blow out prices you can get this for, I feel its a fantastic sounding machine I am as I said using it only for CD's and it sounds very clean has good overal depth clarity and punch without ever having that harsh sound that cheep machines almost always have, to give you an idea I took my old sony dvd player that also plays CD's and was hoping that I could use that and well I have to say the answer was no it sounded so harsh basicaly digital crap this Yamaha is a lot smoother and much more pleasent to listen to.

Let me give you an idea how I tested this. I have a UREI Preamp Mixer very well know for its clean smooth sound hooked up my Sony DVD and the Yamaha played them each through my Carver M-500t via Energy Monitors and in my opin there is no comparison so I am again a happy camper the burr browns do indeed sound quite good I have no idea of the image quality or how it sounds through HDMI but what I do now is it sounds great using the analog outs not quite as wide and deep as my old yamahas but for this price I say if you want a great sounding machine to play CD's this is a great deal.

Plasma is the magic ingredient that yields a great pic ...
post #22 of 29 Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM

I bought one recently (DVD-S1800) but didn't realize it doesn't play blu-ray. Also, I don't need the SACD feature.

For sale, in perfect condition, barely used, still smells new! LOL
Send private message to rj.seatac at gmail
post #23 of 29 Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 PM

i have a question that may not be relevent to ts post, but it concerns tis player.

i have my player connected to my pioneer elite vsx-21txh via component video at 480p, and i let the pioneer upscale it to 1080p, but i get small black bars (about haf an inch) down both sides of the picture. has anyone had this problem, and if so, is there a fix?
post #24 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I know this is a sleepy forum, but I bought this in Jan 2010 based on a comment in the AVSforum about availability at a rock-bottom price --and I've pretty much been happy with the unit -- with one exception. I've noticed when playing some Netflix dvds, that the yamaha occasionally seems to freeze up or go dark -- at first I thought it might be overly sensitive to surface damage on the media, or perhaps reacting to dust bunnies and stalling... but now I think it may be an HDMI handshake issue that is being triggered. I also have a DVD recorder connected to the same tv, and a cable box, so I'm wondering if one of the copy protection circuits is kicking in, even though I 'm only playing, not copying the disc. If I pull the HDMI cable and then reinsert, the tv can see the video (which had previously gone dark). If you turn off the unit and then turn it back, it' s more trouble to resume the movie at the same spot, so lately, pulling the HDMI and reseating it is my first step. Anyone else having similar experiences? Do you think it's a cable issue, a handshake issue, or a machine compatibility playback issue?
Other than that, it's been great and I dont use it to play commercial loaner dvds often, so it's definitely not a deal breaker. I certainly have gotten my money's worth with this and for audio, it's been excellent.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Hi i have this machine and a few other machines, Sony, Oppo ...

And I have seen this problem with many different machines depending on how it is hooked up. From what I can tell it could be the copy protection kicking in as you say it goes dark, does it also turn kinda dark and reddish this in my opin would be the protection thats on so many discs. Have you tried hooking it up analog without the HDMI my guess is it will have the same problem of turning dark, if this is the case then it's most likely a copy protection problem.

Does the Yamaha deck feed through the recorder in some way? because I know for a fact if you go through any type of device like a VCR or recording deck that will kick in the macro vision encoding, I have a Sony and its hooked up to an old set so I am using a VCR for its rf jacks not trying to record a dam thing, and exactly what you say happens it goes dark, the only way that I was able to fix that problem was to use a box that lifts the protection so she can feed through with no protection, thus a picture that does not go dark or have other problems.

As for this Yamaha I use mine strictly for CD play back via its analog outs because this way we can use the burr-brown DA's and the sound is quite good.

I do have a buddy of mine with the same deck and he uses it for DVD's and says it works pretty darn well and has very good upscaling. So for the price paid I do think the deck is a great deal overall, more so if you picked it up for $75 when they were blowing these out.

post #26 of 29 Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeldude View Post

Hi i have this machine and a few other machines, Sony, Oppo ...

And I have seen this problem with many different machines depending on how it is hooked up. From what I can tell it could be the copy protection kicking in as you say it goes dark, does it also turn kinda dark and reddish this in my opin would be the protection thats on so many discs. Have you tried hooking it up analog without the HDMI my guess is it will have the same problem of turning dark, if this is the case then it's most likely a copy protection problem.

Does the Yamaha deck feed through the recorder in some way? because I know for a fact if you go through any type of device like a VCR or recording deck that will kick in the macro vision encoding, I have a Sony and its hooked up to an old set so I am using a VCR for its rf jacks not trying to record a dam thing, and exactly what you say happens it goes dark, the only way that I was able to fix that problem was to use a box that lifts the protection so she can feed through with no protection, thus a picture that does not go dark or have other problems.

As for this Yamaha I use mine strictly for CD play back via its analog outs because this way we can use the burr-brown DA's and the sound is quite good.

I do have a buddy of mine with the same deck and he uses it for DVD's and says it works pretty darn well and has very good upscaling. So for the price paid I do think the deck is a great deal overall, more so if you picked it up for $75 when they were blowing these out.

It's a great deck and I'm certainly happy with it but the intermittent pause while playing video is unnerving. It just stops. It's not fed through the recorder, it's just connected to one of three HDMI connectors on the tv, as is a cable box and a recorder, and the only outgoing connections are to the powered speakers. All I could think of was that maybe the fact that the HDMI of the tv was getting confused... pulling the HDMI cable out and reseating it seems to help, it just picks up where it left off. And no, it's just a black screen - it seems to lose the connection. It doesn't happen all the time -- just occasionally, so I'm trying to figure out the variable that triggers the problem. Dirty or scratched discs? HDMI... I'm still investigating. I think I'm going to swap the HDMI cable for another one, just to eliminate that as a possibility , and maybe try connecting through a different input on the tv to see if that makes a difference. I'm not using a switcher, so that's not the problem. I think the upscaling is impressive, so it would be a shame to back to standard video connectors - but maybe I'll try component, if it has that option (it's been awhile since I've looked back there!)

BtW, I noticed someone here is selling one almost new for $150 (5 days left to the classified), which, while twice what I paid, is actually still a good deal.

Thanks for your suggestions!
post #27 of 29 Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 AM

No Problem,

My reasoning behind trying to hook it up analog, is just to see if the problem you are having still exists. I know it will not have the quality, but This may eliminate some of the trouble shooting if that idea works because I know with analog the way my equipment is hooked up to the old tv it must loop through my other deck and then you see the copy protection kick in but maybe with HDMI it checks to see what is in fact hooked up. I am not completely sure on that one I can tell you this if it absolutely fails as a video player do try and use it a s a CD p[layer with the analog outs as it sound is very good in comparison with other decks out there.

That way its not a total loss. just as a last resort, good luck.

post #28 of 29 Old 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeldude View Post

No Problem,

My reasoning behind trying to hook it up analog, is just to see if the problem you are having still exists. I know it will not have the quality, but This may eliminate some of the trouble shooting if that idea works because I know with analog the way my equipment is hooked up to the old tv it must loop through my other deck and then you see the copy protection kick in but maybe with HDMI it checks to see what is in fact hooked up. I am not completely sure on that one I can tell you this if it absolutely fails as a video player do try and use it a s a CD p[layer with the analog outs as it sound is very good in comparison with other decks out there.

That way its not a total loss. just as a last resort, good luck.

I'm still thinking it's HDMI handshake. I read elsewhere that this model (vintage 2007, I think?) has HDMI 1.1 , so it may have some issues with the connection. It seems to happen once you are already into the movie, which is what threw me, and what had me thinking it might be dusty, scratched dvds. Will experiment a bit and try another cable, and another type of cable ... thanks again!
post #29 of 29 Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Not really vintage I would consider my 86 yamaha's vint before a 2007 unit.
Now this is even more so that im going with protection being the prob, again just a guess, but you say it happen as you get into the movie, but the handshake happens at the very beginning when the machines are first talking to each other.

Or during a change to a separate area of the disc, it may do this several times during previews and such, but not in the middle of the movie and the whole turning dark deal leads me to believe its part of protection kicking in as i have many discs with protection and they will do that not in the beginning but as you start to watch. Also note HDMI is not like analog so lets just say its dirty or bad connection it would loose the signal create a digital blocking pattern or glitch not turn dark or if the cable was bad it would just fail many times to even make a handshake.

I am very curious, humor me here have you completely disconnected the HDMI connection to the recording deck and had only the Yamaha hooked up? if not please try that and tell me if it makes a dif.

I am assuming you have the recording deck hooked up via HDMI.
Is the Yamaha hooked up direct to your TV or does it go through your receiver? Please hook the Yamaha up directly to your tv nothing else should be connected for this test.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page