post #331 of 354 Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

The JC-2 is so neutral it seems to approach the ideal of a straight wire with gain. It replaced a Cary Cinema 11a, no sonic slouch, and seems to have lifted a vail to move me just a bit closer to the music. Both the 5400ES and 105 are capable of excellent sound with CDs or SACDs via analog output through the JC-2, even though their sound is slightly different. I intend to keep both, but if I had to choose just one it would be the 105, because it plays A/V Blu-rays as well as CDs and SACDs, and functions as a processor for speaker management and so forth. Multichannel music on DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD Blu-ray discs can be an amazing experience. I especially enjoy opera on Blu-ray.

db
Quote:

The JC-2 is so neutral it seems to approach the ideal of a straight wire with gain. It replaced a Cary Cinema 11a, no sonic slouch, and seems to have lifted a vail to move me just a bit closer to the music. Both the 5400ES and 105 are capable of excellent sound with CDs or SACDs via analog output through the JC-2, even though their sound is slightly different. I intend to keep both, but if I had to choose just one it would be the 105, because it plays A/V Blu-rays as well as CDs and SACDs, and functions as a processor for speaker management and so forth. Multichannel music on DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD Blu-ray discs can be an amazing experience. I especially enjoy opera on Blu-ray
yeah, I have an extensive CD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD collection. Also significant size DVD and BluRay collection. Hence the purpose for aquiring the BDP-05. But I like having two players to experiment with, and as a way of "balancing" usage. I will probably use the SCD-XA5400ES for analog CD's and 2ch SACD moreso (and occasionally multi-channel SACD's via-HDMI). The Oppo BDP-05 for everything else, but mostly DVD's, BluRays, analog 2ch and multi-channel audio (also some mutli-channel via-HDMI, w/Audyssey).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 354 Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I don't know what the rest of your system is like, but in a very revealing system the 5400ES doesn't come close to the BDP-95 or 105.

I sold my 5400ES and my Ayre C5xe because I just wasn't using them any more.

The 5400ES is a lot better than a lot of other players, but the SABRE DAC chips in the 95 and 105 are state-of-the-art.

They sound better than most players costing up to $8000.
post #333 of 354 Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I forgot to mention that the Oppo 105 also provides the DAC for my Mac Mini through its asynchronous USB port. Furthermore, I like the way the Oppo displays volume level on the screen when I'm using it for HT.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #334 of 354 Old 12-09-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I don't know what the rest of your system is like, but in a very revealing system the 5400ES doesn't come close to the BDP-95 or 105.

I sold my 5400ES and my Ayre C5xe because I just wasn't using them any more.

The 5400ES is a lot better than a lot of other players, but the SABRE DAC chips in the 95 and 105 are state-of-the-art.

They sound better than most players costing up to $8000.
interesting, good to know. Guess I will have to hear for myself once I get things set-up and burned-in. Then do some extensive listening.

I'm using, both, the BDP-105 and SCD-XA5400ES, players. Marantz AV8801 processor, Parasound Halo A51 amp, Monitor Audio GS-Gold Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GS-LCR center, GS-FX rears), and JL Audio F110 subwoofer, in a 5.1 configuration.
post #335 of 354 Old 12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 336

I alos traded the Sony for the OPPO especially with computer audio :)

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #336 of 354 Old 12-09-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah, the Oppo BDP-105 definitely has it's advantages, the number of features stands out (high performance video + multiple audio formats + discrete DAC).

On the other hand the Sony SVCD-XA5400ES implements a type of up-sampling for CD's.
post #337 of 354 Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Postyeah, the Oppo BDP-105 definitely has it's advantages, the number of features stands out (high performance video + multiple audio formats + discrete DAC).

On the other hand the Sony SVCD-XA5400ES implements a type of up-sampling for CD's.

What up sampling!

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #338 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

What up sampling!
from what I understand the SCD-XA5400ES oversamples 16-bit 44.1kHz CD to "DSD-like" 2.8Msps 1-bit. CD's sound almost as good as SACD.

From Stereophile, Music In The Round, May 29, 2009 (quote):
"Sony's Technical Background paper spends a lot of words on SACD processing but says little about the player's CD processing, except to describe an 8x-oversampling filter and a noise shaper that result in a 2.8224MHz signal-sampling frequency—the same as that of DSD. "In this way, the SA-DAC presents both CD and SACD signals to the final converter stage in the identical 1-bit/64fs form." The explanation, presumably translated from Japanese, is not entirely clear, but if Sony is implying that CDs played on the SCD-XA5400ES should sound pretty close to SACDs, I think they have a good case."
http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-36-page-2
post #339 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

from what I understand the SCD-XA5400ES oversamples 16-bit 44.1kHz CD to "DSD-like" 2.8Msps 1-bit. CD's sound almost as good as SACD. From Stereophile, Music In The Round, May 29, 2009 (quote):
"Sony's Technical Background paper spends a lot of words on SACD processing but says little about the player's CD processing, except to describe an 8x-oversampling filter and a noise shaper that result in a 2.8224MHz signal-sampling frequency—the same as that of DSD. "In this way, the SA-DAC presents both CD and SACD signals to the final converter stage in the identical 1-bit/64fs form." The explanation, presumably translated from Japanese, is not entirely clear, but if Sony is implying that CDs played on the SCD-XA5400ES should sound pretty close to SACDs, I think they have a good case."

Most interesting since Kal thinks the OPPO BDP-105 sounds better!

"Sony's Technical Background paper" where did you find that? Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.hifishock.org/galleries/Documents/Sony_ES_Sacd_Player_SCD-XA9000ES_Technology.pdf

My humble Cinema
post #340 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM

But note that the 500 Recommended Components in the October 2013 issue of Stereophile lists the 5400ES as A+ and the 105 as A.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
post #341 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But note that the 500 Recommended Components in the October 2013 issue of Stereophile lists the 5400ES as A+ and the 105 as A. db

Yes, but really if you do any computer audio the Sony is out! Same with Blu Ray concerts, or Blu Ray music from 2L or others so I will stick to the OPPO BDP105:D

My humble Cinema
post #342 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Quote:

What up sampling!
from what I understand the SCD-XA5400ES oversamples 16-bit 44.1kHz CD to "DSD-like" 2.8Msps 1-bit. CD's sound almost as good as SACD.

From Stereophile, Music In The Round, May 29, 2009 (quote):
This might sound like heresy, but I find the SCD-XA5400ES better for CD than even its SACD playback. Its redbook CD sound quality is almost magical, turning many poor, modern masterings into something listenable. The CDs still don't sound quite as good as the SACDs, but for their limited resolution the CDs show greater improvement on the Sony than the differences it shows on SACDs from other players.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #343 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

This might sound like heresy, but I find the SCD-XA5400ES better for CD than even its SACD playback. Its redbook CD sound quality is almost magical, turning many poor, modern masterings into something listenable. The CDs still don't sound quite as good as the SACDs, but for their limited resolution the CDs show greater improvement on the Sony than the differences it shows on SACDs from other players.
thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for, a solid (dedicated) Redbook CD player, such that I can "split" duties between two players (BDP-105 & SCD-XA5400ES).

I owned a few premium Denon players a few years back (DVD-3930CI, DVD-3800BDCI), both feature AL24 (up-sampling) and they really performed exceptionally well playing CD's. However both exhibit known issues/failures (premature laser failures, etc.,...). Sony players, in my experience, have mostly been very resilient. I'm looking, mostly, for a dedicated player to last a while, I have a large Redbook CD collection.
post #344 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping for, a solid (dedicated) Redbook CD player, such that I can "split" duties between two players (BDP-105 & SCD-XA5400ES).

I owned a few premium Denon players a few years back (DVD-3930CI, DVD-3800BDCI), both feature AL24 (up-sampling) and they really performed exceptionally well playing CD's. However both exhibit known issues/failures (premature laser failures, etc.,...). Sony players, in my experience, have mostly been very resilient. I'm looking, mostly, for a dedicated player to last a while, I have a large Redbook CD collection.
I'm very familiar with those Denon players' sound quality, I had both of them at one time for regular listening. This Sony beats them on CD for the analog stereo outputs. It certainly has a smoother sound with more emphasis on the mid-range, though it is no slouch when it comes to revealing sonic clarity.

post #345 of 354 Old 12-11-2013, 04:23 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Since I rip all my CDs to my Mac Book Pro 13 inch retina display with 1TB SSD and use Audirvana that is not worth to me! I only use the SACD for multichannel SACDS and Blu Ray Audio biggrin.gif

My humble Cinema
post #346 of 354 Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:

Why would your comments be heresy on a Sony XA-5400ES thread? eek.gif As a matter of fact, I agree with you. I like the sound of the 5400ES better than the Oppo although the Oppo is the swish army knife of audio. I find, however, in my system, the Sony sounds better to my ears.
post #347 of 354 Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Quote:

Why would your comments be heresy on a Sony XA-5400ES thread? eek.gif As a matter of fact, I agree with you. I like the sound of the 5400ES better than the Oppo although the Oppo is the swish army knife of audio. I find, however, in my system, the Sony sounds better to my ears.
I primarily got it for the SACD features but was shocked at how good the XA5400ES sounded for CD. While I have a very large SACD collection by most standards, my CD collection dwarfs it in sheer size. I was thinking of buying an alternate player for CD after I got the XA5400ES for SACD, but in the end it saved me from buying two separate players. The only DAC I've heard that was clearly superior to the Sony on CD was the Benchmark DAC2. I didn't really sample the players priced above $2000 very much.

post #348 of 354 Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

The only DAC I've heard that was clearly superior to the Sony on CD was the Benchmark DAC2. I didn't really sample the players priced above $2000 very much.
confused.gif http://matrixhifi.com/contenedor_dac1.htm
post #349 of 354 Old 12-14-2013, 10:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post

confused.gif http://matrixhifi.com/contenedor_dac1.htm

Listen to this http://store.sony.com/hi-res-music-player-with-1tb-hdd-zid27-HAPZ1ES/cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

The future of Audio for Sony

My humble Cinema
post #350 of 354 Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The future of Audio for Sony
quite a concept there..............

"Playback of DSD and the full range of Hi-Res file formats, Analog FIR filters, 1TB hard drive for local music playback and storage, DSD re-mastering engine converts all signals to DSD signals, built-in Wi-Fi for app control and music transfer"
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #351 of 354 Old 12-15-2013, 05:01 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Yes very nice but for half the price I get a Mac Mini with 1TB hard drive plus Audirvana and a lot better interface smile.gifbiggrin.gif

My humble Cinema
post #352 of 354 Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes very nice but for half the price I get a Mac Mini with 1TB hard drive plus Audirvana and a lot better interface smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Very sad you can't use the DAC!

My humble Cinema
post #353 of 354 Old 12-15-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep.

I guess the unique features here, to me, are the DSD Masterine Engine + the 2ch analog (XLR)
post #354 of 354 Old 02-13-2014, 01:45 AM

I recently replaced my Cary Cinema 11a processor with a Parasound JC-2 analog preamp and have been using the balanced connection from my XA5400ES to the JC-2. The sound is substantially improved over that with the Cary, but a discussion at Audiogon about impedances leads me to ask if it might be better to use single ended rather than balanced. I've had the Sony for years and have used SE, XLR, and HDMI connections, but not with the JC-2. The SE input impedance of the JC-2 is 30 kOhms; the XLR is 30 kOhms per leg. Any opinions re SE v XLR? Are both simultaneously active on the XA5400ES? If so, I could connect both and switch between the two.

db

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page