Sony XA5400-ES - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 354 Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

It is really difficult for me to articulate the other sonic traits I hear; organic, rythmic drive, speed, I don't know. But, I can say the 5400 has stopped me from playing any other digital sources, and it has me listening to music again.

Unless confirmed not to be, it sounds like a typical placebo effect, assuming he matched level during comparison.
geekhd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 354 Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

.... To borrow from Kal Rubinson, the 5400 is a "revelation."

I would love to hear about his ability to differentiate it in a credible DBT.
CharlesJ is online now  
post #63 of 354 Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Unless confirmed not to be, it sounds like a typical placebo effect, assuming he matched level during comparison.

Does he even compare them under DBT in the first place?
CharlesJ is online now  
post #64 of 354 Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,403
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

I would love to hear about his ability to differentiate it in a credible DBT.

Relevant report in March issue.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is online now  
post #65 of 354 Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Member
 
richardbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I'm not as tech savvy as most here, so let me ask what I'm sure is, to most of you, a basic question:

Will the XA5400-ES deliver its reportedly fabulous multi-channel audio quality via HDMI with my Onkyo TX SR-606 receiver (which has 4 HDMI inputs)? I'm asking because I thought I read somewhere that the 5400 has to compromise signal quality if it's not plugged into a receiver with a specific kind of HDMI capability.

Separately, what's the consensus regarding the 5400 vs. the Oppo BDP-83 SE for 2-channel playback - using Oppo's analog 2-channel option? All other components being equal, which unit offers better AQ?

Thanks!
richardbk is offline  
post #66 of 354 Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Corybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk View Post

Hey everyone, I'm not as tech savvy as most here, so let me ask what I'm sure is, to most of you, a basic question:

Will the XA5400-ES deliver its reportedly fabulous multi-channel audio quality via HDMI with my Onkyo TX SR-606 receiver (which has 4 HDMI inputs)? I'm asking because I thought I read somewhere that the 5400 has to compromise signal quality if it's not plugged into a receiver with a specific kind of HDMI capability.

Separately, what's the consensus regarding the 5400 vs. the Oppo BDP-83 SE for 2-channel playback - using Oppo's analog 2-channel option? All other components being equal, which unit offers better AQ?

Thanks!

Mine delevers multi channel through the hdmi to my pioneer sc-27 just fine. Cant say how the 5400 compares to Oppo as I have never listened to one. I will say the 5400 sounds excellent no matter what I put in it and listen to.
Corybud is offline  
post #67 of 354 Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander
 
RUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California Republic
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk View Post

Hey everyone, I'm not as tech savvy as most here, so let me ask what I'm sure is, to most of you, a basic question:

Will the XA5400-ES deliver its reportedly fabulous multi-channel audio quality via HDMI with my Onkyo TX SR-606 receiver (which has 4 HDMI inputs)? I'm asking because I thought I read somewhere that the 5400 has to compromise signal quality if it's not plugged into a receiver with a specific kind of HDMI capability.

Better asked (and may already be answered) in this thread.

Quote:


Separately, what's the consensus regarding the 5400 vs. the Oppo BDP-83 SE for 2-channel playback - using Oppo's analog 2-channel option? All other components being equal, which unit offers better AQ?

Dunno about "consensus", but (to pick on Kal, once again), see here. As he's already stated, details may be found in his column, March Stereophile.
RUR is offline  
post #68 of 354 Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

I would love to hear about his ability to differentiate it in a credible DBT.

There was no double blind test conducted by me, only a comparison between the units I own, all sonys: the SCD-C555ES, SCD-XA5400ES and BDPS5000ES.
I can tell you that I sold highend equipment for 5 years in the '70s so I have a little experience with knowing sonic traits of equipment. I also know that with the 5400ES, you can get better sound from it by simply turning off the display and this trick works with the other CD players as well. For the record, if you or others are cynical regarding my ability to hear the sonic superiority of the 5400ES over the units I own, its fine with me. I'm enjoying it every day.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Does he even compare them under DBT in the first place?

See answer above.
gbaby is online now  
post #69 of 354 Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CharlesJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

...
I can tell you that I sold highend equipment for 5 years in the '70s so I have a little experience with knowing sonic traits of equipment.

That does not compute, really. Unless you can identify such sonic differences under DBT protocols, you have no idea if any component has a signature, just urban legends, period. Not much to really discuss as it becomes just a subjective guess about any differences, no matter how much subjective experience you have.
And, if any older components had such a signature, is irrelevant to modern day components.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

... I also know that with the 5400ES, you can get better sound from it by simply turning off the display and this trick works with the other CD players as well.

Again, same response. No DBT, unreliable perceptions. No one really knows what sonic difference are or aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

... For the record, if you or others are cynical regarding my ability to hear the sonic superiority of the 5400ES over the units I own, its fine with me. I'm enjoying it every day.

Enjoyment is really independent of any sonic differences or benefits. And, there is nothing cynical about doubting these claims, unverified under any DBT testing. Might as well claim psychic abilities, similar.
CharlesJ is online now  
post #70 of 354 Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I can tell you that I sold highend equipment for 5 years in the '70s so I have a little experience with knowing sonic traits of equipment.

That explains why you talk about CDP the way you do. It was pre CDP era.
geekhd is offline  
post #71 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Corybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the record, if you or others are cynical regarding my ability to hear the sonic superiority of the 5400ES over the units I own, its fine with me. I'm enjoying it every day.

--------------------------------------------

I second that!
Corybud is offline  
post #72 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 AM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

For the record, if you or others are cynical regarding my ability to hear the sonic superiority of the 5400ES over the units I own, its fine with me. I'm enjoying it every day.

--------------------------------------------

I second that!

What defines sonic superiority of CDP? In other words, what are the aspects of sound that places one CDP above another?
geekhd is offline  
post #73 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Corybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

What defines sonic superiority of CDP? In other words, what are the aspects of sound that places one CDP above another?

Maybe your questions should be directed at Kal Rubinson as you seem to respect his opinion more than any of ours.
Corybud is offline  
post #74 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

Maybe your questions should be directed at Kal Rubinson as you seem to respect his opinion more than any of ours.

Why are you dodging my question? You second the post by gbaby about "sonic superiority of the 5400ES" so I asked you a related question. Lets hear it. What defines sonic superiority of CDP?

Where dose "respect his opinion more than any of ours" come from? Did you see my post indicating such thing?
geekhd is offline  
post #75 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

Maybe your questions should be directed at Kal Rubinson as you seem to respect his opinion more than any of ours.

If I were Kal, I would not dignify these inquiries with a response.
gbaby is online now  
post #76 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Corybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Why are you dodging my question? You second the post by gbaby about "sonic superiority of the 5400ES" so I asked you a related question. Lets hear it. What defines sonic superiority of CDP?

Where dose "respect his opinion more than any of ours" come from? Did you see my post indicating such thing?

I didn't dodge anything. The point was be cynical all you want but we will be enjoying our equipment. The respect his opinion comes from in all the posts I see from you going after anyone who talks about one cd player sounding better than another I never see you take him on.
Corybud is offline  
post #77 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

That explains why you talk about CDP the way you do. It was pre CDP era.

If you were born in the '70s, you probably would not have an appreciation for sonic traits of analog equipment. In fact, music was better sounding with vinyl than with CDs. Vinyl is just so inconvenent. However, the 5400ES approaches the sonic traits of vinyl on certain compositions.
gbaby is online now  
post #78 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

I didn't dodge anything.

Yes, you did and you still are dodging my question. By the way, it was just a plain question regarding your definition of sonic superiority.
Quote:


The point was be cynical all you want but we will be enjoying our equipment.

It's not cynicism. It's an attempt to open an objective discussion.
Quote:


The respect his opinion comes from in all the posts I see from you going after anyone who talks about one cd player sounding better than another I never see you take him on.

I haven't seen him post things like you and gbaby do about CDP. Feel free to show me if I missed any.


I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt by asking again, what defines sonic superiority of CDP?
geekhd is offline  
post #79 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

If you were born in the '70s, you probably would not have an appreciation for sonic traits of analog equipment. In fact, music was better sounding with vinyl than with CDs. Vinyl is just so inconvenent. However, the 5400ES approaches the sonic traits of vinyl on certain compositions.

I was not born in the '70s. Are you saying that if someone was born before or after the '70s, there's no way to sample the sonic traits of analog equipment?
geekhd is offline  
post #80 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator
 
Mike Lang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 11,076
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 294
back on topic guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
Mike Lang is offline  
post #81 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Corybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't seen him post things like you and gbaby do about CDP. Feel free to show me if I missed any.

-----------------------------------

See post #43 that refer to testing the 5400es. Also see post 49 and 64.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt by asking again, what defines sonic superiority of CDP?

That actually is pretty funny considering that you have not given me the "benefit of the doubt" yet plus all I have seen from your side of the debate is links to other discussions on the forum that prove nothing.

I do hope you enjoy your equipment as much as I am enjoying mine.
Corybud is offline  
post #82 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

See post #43 that refer to testing the 5400es. Also see post 49 and 64.

As I stated, he hasn't posted the things here (internet forum where people can reply) you and gbaby posted.

Quote:


That actually is pretty funny considering that you have not given me the "benefit of the doubt" yet plus all I have seen from your side of the debate is links to other discussions on the forum that prove nothing.

I did give you the benefit of the doubt. What did I try to prove?

Quote:


I do hope you enjoy your equipment as much as I am enjoying mine.

I'm not questioning you about you enjoying your CDP. I am simply asking you about the aspect of CDP sound quality gbaby brought up which you second. What do you mean sonic superiority of Sony XA5400-ES? What makes its sonic superior?
gbaby, feel free to jump in.

By the way, try to use quote feature. It makes it easier to follow through your post.
geekhd is offline  
post #83 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

What do you mean sonic superiority of Sony XA5400-ES? What makes its sonic superior?
gbaby, feel free to jump in.

By the way, try to use quote feature. It makes it easier to follow through your post.

What I mean by sonic superiority is the ability of a CDP to play music with detail and without that digital bite or sound, great stereo imaging wherein one can almost close ones eyes and hear the location of instruments within the sound stage with the music sounding organic and three dimensional. I have heard these traits from analog sources such as reel to reel tape, and I hear these same traits in the 5400. Its the only CD player I've ever really enjoyed listening to, and it has me playing music regularly again. There are other traits that are hard to articulate, but I know good sound when I hear it.
gbaby is online now  
post #84 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When does enjoying the music come into play?

I'm tired of all this BS.. If you hear a difference it's only in your mind.. Guess what.. I bought a 595 Sony SACD player cause I thought it would better my HD DVD player for CD play back. It didn't.. I guess I missed the placebo effect that night, cause I was convinced the Sony would better my HD DVD player..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #85 of 354 Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member
 
KBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I have heard all this before but I stand by what I said. I have 3 cd players set up with one being a cd recorder and the other being an entry level sony sacd five disc changer. Playing the same cd's on each the sony es-5400 stands out above the others. My wife and others who have listened also agree. This is not to say that the sony is better than or should even be considered a high end unit. I have never owned a high end unit to compare it to but it is the best unit I have owned to date.

I understand the need for and respect the scientific testing end of things but with all due respect have to take exception to the notion that you cannot compare 3 units side by side on the same equipment, same source material and determine the better sounding cd player.

I believe you.. Too bad others want your blood..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
KBI is offline  
post #86 of 354 Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Corybud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I believe you.. Too bad others want your blood..

Thank You.......And with that I will have nothing further to say on the matter. I should have left it at that to begin with.
Corybud is offline  
post #87 of 354 Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

What I mean by sonic superiority is the ability of a CDP to play music with detail and without that digital bite or sound, great stereo imaging wherein one can almost close ones eyes and hear the location of instruments within the sound stage with the music sounding organic and three dimensional.

That's funny. I've heard that through other CDPs too and some cost more and others much less than XA-5400-ES.

Quote:


I know good sound when I hear it.

So do I.
geekhd is offline  
post #88 of 354 Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

When does enjoying the music come into play?

I'm tired of all this BS.. If you hear a difference it's only in your mind.. Guess what.. I bought a 595 Sony SACD player cause I thought it would better my HD DVD player for CD play back. It didn't.. I guess I missed the placebo effect that night, cause I was convinced the Sony would better my HD DVD player..

Its not BS, and I can understand your frustration if the Sony CE-595 is any point of reference. Your audio system is only going to sound as good as its weakest link. The CE-595 is simply not a good CD player and is considered low-fi. On my system I think I can appreciate the XA-5400 because of my play back gear which consist of the following:

Infinity Composition Preludes P-FR speakers;
First Watt 2 channel Aleph J amp
Krell KAV-500 5 channel amp
Arcam AV9 Pre/pro
Blue Truth Cables from bettercables.com

While I have othe gear, it is these components I attribute to allowing me to enjoy the sound of the XA-5400ES. I feel my audio investment has finally paid off.
gbaby is online now  
post #89 of 354 Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
 
geekhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI View Post

I believe you..

I believe him too because I've heard differences between CDPs. The important thing to know is what causes that difference. Do you know what causes it?

Quote:


Too bad others want your blood..

What you call "others", are merely trying to engage in an objective discussion which is what this forum is geared towards. To those subjectivists, it's like garlic to vampires. They hiss and cringe.
geekhd is offline  
post #90 of 354 Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

That's funny. I've heard that through other CDPs too and some cost more and others much less than XA-5400-ES.


Was that by blind testing?
gbaby is online now  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off