Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

And, would you, too, be so kind to share with us the equipment you use for listening to music?

That' not nearly as important as one's hearing ability. Given your legal working age back in '70s, it's likely your hearing is not up to the challenge of sorting out audible difference of CDPs. That is unless the volume levels were set far enough apart that it had to be noticeable or you were imagining it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

And, would you, too, be so kind to share with us the equipment you use for listening to music?

As soon as you explain what my equipment has to do with you're inability to back up your claims.

I will tell you that I have run all separates for over 25 years now, the system is worth well over $15K, and is easily high enough resolution to reveal any differences that really exist.
post #123 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

I would love to hear about his ability to differentiate it in a credible DBT.

since you and geek seem to not believe that this player sounds any different than any other why don't you do a DBT and provide some of that evidence you so desperately need in order to back up your claims. Do either of you own one of these? I personally just ordered one and I am certainly open to the idea that it sounds just like my denon 5910 but until I have some data one way or the other I won't know. If you don;t have one and have no DBT data to suggest otherwise, subjective comparisons offer a higher level of evidence than presuming none exists because that is your belief system.

no one has asked about dbt testing in this thread and yet, as in many many other threads, the conversation is derailed. We get it. you don't believe a difference exists without a DBT to "prove" that it does. again, as you seem to fail to understand, that to many, subjective listening tests are good enough. We get that this in not enough for you. At this juncture there is no other way to proceed but to agree to disagree.

one may wonder why you continue to feel the need to promulgate the misplaced ire. No, I don't have to read it but it does seem like almost every poster in this thread has taken you (geek) to task over the issue. It seems as though this obsession with comparative testing (particularly with regard to ANY data to support your claims) has not been well-received.

I am personally looking forward to receiving this unit. If I were looking into a dcs product and spending that kind of cash on a player I would probably be much more concerned about the relative sonic merits of the respective players. Although not inexpensive it does seem like people feel they are getting a lot of playback quality for a reasonable price.

speaking of comparisons, anyone (level matched) compared the balanced and rca outs?
post #124 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 PM

I sure wish the posts in this thread were more about the Sony XA5400-ES and less about other stuff. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Sony - or the Oppo 83SE NuForce. I honestly don't care that some people think you can't hear differences between players. Besides, shouldn't that be the subject of a separate thread?
post #125 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk View Post

I sure wish the posts in this thread were more about the Sony XA5400-ES and less about other stuff. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the Sony - or the Oppo 83SE NuForce. I honestly don't care that some people think you can't hear differences between players. Besides, shouldn't that be the subject of a separate thread?

Oh, it is about that player and the audibility claims made by some in regards to that player.
Since you want to decide between those two players, what info are you seeking? What features are important to you that one offers over the other? Or, are you really after audible differences as well?

Quote:

And that will tell you that you really heard those audible differences you are claiming???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

since you and geek seem to not believe that this player sounds any different than any other why don't you do a DBT and provide some of that evidence you so desperately need in order to back up your claims.

I have no idea if it really is audibly different. I have a good idea what the probabilities are though.
A number of posters claimed it to be but based on flawed and unreliable testing protocols. So, the question is, is it??? Besides, it should be the claimants burden to demo the claimed differences.

Quote:

.. If you don;t have one and have no DBT data to suggest otherwise, subjective comparisons offer a higher level of evidence than presuming none exists because that is your belief system.

That is absolute nonsense there. Such comparison has zero level of reliability, not higher.

Quote:

no one has asked about dbt testing in this thread and yet,

Oh, but testable claims were made about audible differences, no???
That is enough to ask questions about that claim, yes.

Quote:

.. as in many many other threads, the conversation is derailed.

Easy solution to such quandary Don't make testable claims about audible differences unless it is supported by credible evidence, right?

Quote:

We get it. you don't believe a difference exists without a DBT to "prove" that it does.

Believe? Not based on a belief but of knowing.

Quote:

again, as you seem to fail to understand, that to many, subjective listening tests are good enough.

For what? For whom?

Quote:

I am personally looking forward to receiving this unit.

Enjoy it.
post #126 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Since you want to decide between those two players (XA5400-ES and Oppo Nuforce), what info are you seeking? What features are important to you that one offers over the other? Or, are you really after audible differences as well?

Well, for my purposes, assume that there are, indeed, audible differences between CD players – whether they're supported by measurable data or not. (Personally, I agree with Einstein: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.")

Okay… audible differences are the only deciding factor for me; this is not about features. I keep components for a long, long time. This will probably be the last CD player I'll buy. I listen to both SA-CD (stereo mostly) and Redbook CD playback. I'm using an Onkyo AVR now (with analog multichannel and HDMI inputs), but will be upgrading to separate amp/pre-amp down the line.

So… all other things being equal, which one sounds better? Is there any sort of consensus??
post #127 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:

So… all other things being equal, which one sounds better?

What defines better sound from CDP? Once that's laid out, picking out CDP for its value becomes easier. So lets see your definition of it.
post #128 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 04:05 PM

^Sorry, not gonna play that game. If anyone out there has heard both of these CD players, let me know your thoughts. (And thanks.)
post #129 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:

^Sorry, not gonna play that game.

It's not a game. It's a test to see if you recognize a direction to go to. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt so lets hear it. What defines better sound from a CDP?
post #130 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

As soon as you explain what my equipment has to do with you're inability to back up your claims.

I will tell you that I have run all separates for over 25 years now, the system is worth well over $15K, and is easily high enough resolution to reveal any differences that really exist.

Are you ashamed to list your equipment? If so, then just list your receiver and/or pre/pro and amp, speakers and music source (i.e., CD player DAT or whatever you play music from.)
post #131 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

... What defines better sound from a CDP?

See post number 83 for a partial definition. Others my have their own subjective opinions.
post #132 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you ashamed to list your equipment? If so, then just list your receiver and/or pre/pro and amp, speakers and music source (i.e., CD player DAT or whatever you play music from.)

Ashamed? Not at all, how could I be? Unlike you, I don't base my manhood on the equipment I own.

I told you that I will list the equipment, as soon as you explain what my equipment has to do with your inability to back up your claims. I just don't see the connection.
post #133 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:

See post number 83 for a partial definition. Others my have their own subjective opinions.

gbaby, lets give richardbk more time to reply. Then I'll respond to him and you both on this.
post #134 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

A number of posters claimed it to be but based on flawed and unreliable testing protocols. So, the question is, is it??? Besides, it should be the claimants burden to demo the claimed differences.

Dude, you don't get it. It's not even remotely practical or realistic for the average audiophile to perform the kind of double blind ABX test required to prove on the scientific level that he or she is truly hearing a difference. The vast majority don't even have the proper equipment required - much less how to properly set it up and do it. And even if they did and reported hearing a difference, you're not going to believe it anyway.

Now you are perfectly withing reason to doubt any such claim without sufficient proof or evidence, but it's silly to think that it's even remotely feasible for the average person to go through the necessary rigors - even just for themself, especially when in the end he or she has little choice but to go by what his or her ears and more longer term listening dictate.
post #135 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, for my purposes, assume that there are, indeed, audible differences between CD players - whether they're supported by measurable data or not. (Personally, I agree with Einstein: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.")

Okay audible differences are the only deciding factor for me; this is not about features. I keep components for a long, long time. This will probably be the last CD player I'll buy. I listen to both SA-CD (stereo mostly) and Redbook CD playback. I'm using an Onkyo AVR now (with analog multichannel and HDMI inputs), but will be upgrading to separate amp/pre-amp down the line.

So all other things being equal, which one sounds better? Is there any sort of consensus??

Quote:

^Sorry, not gonna play that game. If anyone out there has heard both of these CD players, let me know your thoughts. (And thanks.)

So, in the end, it is about the possible sonic differences. Therefore, all the posts questioning such differences is most appropriate in this thread.
The only way you can get consensus is by a number of credible DBT comparisons. Anything less, is worthless testimonials and very subjective opinions of dubious value at best. Flip a coin, or buy the lesser $$$ one unless $$ is not an issue for you.
post #136 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Dude, you don't get it. ....

You are right, I don't get it. All these audiophiles and they don't have the means to test their component differences in a more reliable way at the minimum level matching. Nor are they interested in knowing the vagaries of their current methods; that doesn't take anything except some willingness to learn. Obviously they are not willing.
post #137 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

You are right, I don't get it. All these audiophiles and they don't have the means to test their component differences in a more reliable way at the minimum level matching. Nor are they interested in knowing the vagaries of their current methods; that doesn't take anything except some willingness to learn. Obviously they are not willing.

Yeah, you don't get it.
post #138 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

You are right, I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Yeah, you don't get it.

Are we done yet?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #139 of 354 Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Don't count on it.
post #140 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I told you that I will list the equipment, as soon as you explain what my equipment has to do with your inability to back up your claims. I just don't see the connection.

The reason I asked for you to list your equipment is to see if you had a synergy problem. For example, you could have an expensive tube amp putting out 15 watts per channel and speakers that will play 86db with a 1 watt input which may effectively prevent you from making your speakers play at their fullest potential. Or, you could simply be deaf.
post #141 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:

The reason I asked for you to list your equipment is to see if you had a synergy problem. For example, you could have an expensive tube amp putting out 15 watts per channel and speakers that will play 86db with a 1 watt input which may effectively prevent you from making your speakers play at their fullest potential.

You sure don't understand much about electronic audio equipments, do you.
post #142 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

You sure don't understand much about electronic audio equipments, do you.

I know a lot, its you who do not. Please leave this site to us who have an interest in the 5400. If we want to waste out money, fine. If we claim we can hear a difference in CDP, fine. You need to stick to Hi Def TV topics. In fact, anyone that uses the word "geek" as a handle cannot be an audiophile, but someone from generation x, y or z.
post #143 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I asked for you to list your equipment is to see if you had a synergy problem. For example, you could have an expensive tube amp putting out 15 watts per channel and speakers that will play 86db with a 1 watt input which may effectively prevent you from making your speakers play at their fullest potential. Or, you could simply be deaf.

Even if I do have a "synergy" problem, or am completely deaf, I still don't understand how any of that can affect your inability to back up your claims of being able to differentiate between cables.
post #144 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In fact, anyone that uses the word "geek" as a handle cannot be an audiophile, but someone from generation x, y or z.

I used to consider myself an audiophile. These days I'd be embarrassed to call myself an audiophile. Who wants to be associated with a group of people that will fall for anything?
post #145 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used to consider myself an audiophile. These days I'd be embarrassed to call myself an audiophile. Who wants to be associated with a group of people that will fall for anything?

Just to make a comment like this shows you never were an audiophile.

Quote:

Even if I do have a "synergy" problem, or am completely deaf, I still don't understand how any of that can affect your inability to back up your claims of being able to differentiate between cables.

My comments about cables was a side remark, but the subject matter is whether or not one can hear a difference in CD Players. Obviously, you just want to argue. You will not receive any more replies from me, and i encourage others to not respond to any of your comments.
post #146 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:

My comments about cables was a side remark, but the subject matter is whether or not one can hear a difference in CD Players. Obviously, you just want to argue. You will not receive any more replies from me, and i encourage others to not respond to any of your comments.

I'll guarantee that you will like Audio Asylum better.
post #147 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, for my purposes, assume that there are, indeed, audible differences between CD players - whether they're supported by measurable data or not. (Personally, I agree with Einstein: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.")

Okay audible differences are the only deciding factor for me; this is not about features. I keep components for a long, long time. This will probably be the last CD player I'll buy. I listen to both SA-CD (stereo mostly) and Redbook CD playback. I'm using an Onkyo AVR now (with analog multichannel and HDMI inputs), but will be upgrading to separate amp/pre-amp down the line.

So all other things being equal, which one sounds better? Is there any sort of consensus??

OK I know you want to judge on sound quality rather than features so on that score I can't help you decide on the sony or oppo. On the other hand being able to push the SACD signal through the HDMI is a big plus in my book. As for playing red book cd's the sony does a fantastic job. This was a big consideration for me as I have and always will have a larger red book collection than SACD. I would suggest that you check and see if the OPPO processes the SACD signal through to the receiver or converts it to pcm before sending it on. If you consider all other things equal then I would consider brand prefrence and then price. For me I have had the Sony now for a while and I am very happy with it. And yes I think it sounds fantastic as do most others who have actually bought one. I also think real world owners opinions on equipment, any equipment is more important than some "double blind, level matched" do dah test. Any of us can say anything we want and there is no way to validate or debunk the claim but if you have X number of users with experience good or bad odds are that you are going to have a pretty good idea of what you will end up with.
post #148 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

I also think real world owners opinions on equipment, any equipment is more important than some "double blind, level matched" do dah test.

So you have done double blind, level matched do dah test and realized after comparing that real world owners opinions on equipment is a better source for facts about any equipment? What about CDPs, do they fall into the same category?

Quote:

Any of us can say anything we want and there is no way to validate or debunk the claim

How do you know that?

Quote:

but if you have X number of users with experience good or bad odds are that you are going to have a pretty good idea of what you will end up with.

During the time of Copernicus, majority of people believed that the sun revolves around earth. Yeah, they had a pretty good idea of what goes around, didn't they.
post #149 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like your opinion means anything.

Quote:

My comments about cables was a side remark, but the subject matter is whether or not one can hear a difference in CD Players. Obviously, you just want to argue. You will not receive any more replies from me, and i encourage others to not respond to any of your comments.:mad

If you can't answer the question, just say so, no need to run away.
post #150 of 354 Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..., or am completely deaf, ...

Oh, you too
Quote:

:

Is that from a true audiophile wannabe???
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page