Sony XA5400-ES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 354 Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally purchased an entry level SACD sony changer because I wanted to experience the super audio without having to refinance my house. The CE-595 is a nice little player with one significient problem for me. The only way to play multi-channel and SACD's is through the RCA 5.1 channel outputs. Thought this would be ok but as it turns out on my Pioneer SC-27 the multi channel input does not allow you to take advantage of the MCACC room correction and EQ. Other than that using the optical output the little Sony is really pretty well built, solid and fairly quiet for a changer. OK, OK this is about the 5400ES. Since I had already purchased a number of SACD's I finally got the big brother. The 5400 has some features I really like for example and honest to goodness on/off button on the remote. It will also pass both the regular pcm and SACD signal through the HDMI output. There is a priority switch in back but in playing both it has been spot on switching between the two. Another thing I like is the quality of the switch's and buttons. They have a quality feel not the cheap plastic feel. The button for the HDMI switch also lights up so you don't have to look for it on the display. My previous Sony ES CD recorder/changer had these thin little plastic drawers that I was sure I would break at some point and it was so noisy changing disc's that I worried at some point I might not get my disc's back out. This new Sony has a very substantial disc drawer and is very quiet in it's operation. It also reads regular CD's fairly quickly but does take longer to read the SACD's. The remote for the 5400 is OK but does not seem to be the same quality as the player itself. It does everything you need it to do but just seems a bit on the cheap side.

Having never seen much less listen to what has been described as a high end CD player I am the last person on the planet to say how the Sony compares nor do I care. It was on the pricey side at $1,169.00 with shipping but it does a competant job with regular CD's as well as SACD's so overall I am happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 354 Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the review. I am also considering this unit.

I have a Sony SCD 333ES changer that I bought new for $399 back in 2001 that is still going strong, and sounds very good for 2 ch SACD. I also have an Oppo 980H with HDMI that I use for multi-channel SACD.

So I am still on the fence on whether the 5400 makes sense for me. I still buy SACD's, and probably have at least 100 at this point. The format has proven surprisingly resilient, IMO.

For me, the question comes down to - how much better on 2 ch SACD is the 5400ES over the 333ES? I'm using a tubed 2 channel analog pre-amp, and wondering if I will I hear a big difference on 2 ch SACD between these units.
post #3 of 354 Old 02-22-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Diablo View Post

Thanks for the review. I am also considering this unit.

I have a Sony SCD 333ES changer that I bought new for $399 back in 2001 that is still going strong, and sounds very good for 2 ch SACD. I also have an Oppo 980H with HDMI that I use for multi-channel SACD.

So I am still on the fence on whether the 5400 makes sense for me. I still buy SACD's, and probably have at least 100 at this point. The format has proven surprisingly resilient, IMO.

For me, the question comes down to - how much better on 2 ch SACD is the 5400ES over the 333ES? I'm using a tubed 2 channel analog pre-amp, and wondering if I will I hear a big difference on 2 ch SACD between these units.

I own the SCD-C555ES along with the SCD-XA5400ES. My 555ES betters your 333ES sonically. I can tell you that the sound of the 5400 betters the 555Es so much, that I cannot listen to it. I play the 5400 exclusively. There is an exponential improvement in the sound in both 2 channel SACD and red book CD with the 5400. However, this is only on analog outs so one can use the D/A converter on the unit and not the pre/pro or receiver. The 5400ES is the best audio purchase I have made in a decade. And, since you are using a tube pre-amp, you are in for a treat. There is a substantial break in time for the 5400, but you will be rewarded sonically. In fact, I doubt you can buy a better sounding unit than the 5400 for less than 5 to 10k.
post #4 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

I can't really say anything one way or another regarding break in but I will say that after putting some time in with this unit I am really impressed. If it continues to get better sounding that is just an extra bonus to me. While I have bought some SACD's that sound really killer, over all the performance on just plain old regular CD's is what has caught my ear.
post #5 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corybud View Post

I can't really say anything one way or another regarding break in

No one has yet to present a proof that it does with disc players.
post #6 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

No one has yet to present a proof that it does with disc players.

I, for one, have presented proof that the XA-5400ES sounds better with break end or the more I play it. Further proof can be had by reading a thread on this site called "Surround Sound Format."
post #7 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I, for one, have presented proof that the XA-5400ES sounds better with break end or the more I play it. Further proof can be had by reading a thread on this site called "Surround Sound Format."

Where? I see some opinion posted by you but no proof.
post #8 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM

gbaby - thanks for the comparison with the 555ES, that information is very relevant to my needs. I am very familiar with that player, as a friend bought one about six months after I got my 333ES.

I've always considered the 333ES and 555ES to be classic "bang-for-the-buck" SACD players, but your experience seems to leave little doubt that it might be time for me to upgrade. The 5400ES is now officially on my "want" list.

What can I expect to pay though an authorized dealer? I'm a little dubious about some of the sellers on Amazon, so not sure which route to take.
post #9 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up mine reasonably priced.
post #10 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where? I see some opinion posted by you but no proof.

My opinion was based upon what I heard with my ears. What other proof do you need?
post #11 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Diablo View Post

gbaby - thanks for the comparison with the 555ES, that information is very relevant to my needs. I am very familiar with that player, as a friend bought one about six months after I got my 333ES.

I've always considered the 333ES and 555ES to be classic "bang-for-the-buck" SACD players, but your experience seems to leave little doubt that it might be time for me to upgrade. The 5400ES is now officially on my "want" list.

What can I expect to pay though an authorized dealer? I'm a little dubious about some of the sellers on Amazon, so not sure which route to take.

And, thank you for not getting mad with me when I compared the 333ES to the 555ES. I was trying to give you the benefit of my ownership and you took my comparison in a good way which I appreciate. I was very sincere though in my comparison. The 555ES simply no longer sounds good at all, and in fact, sounds like low fi in comparison the the XA-5400ES. With the 5400, you hear nuances in the sound that you never knew existed in familiar recordings. In fact, I am revisiting all my CDs. Not all CDs sound good, just the ones with good recordings. What you hear, to me, is actually what was heard in the studio as the 5400ES seems to put one into the recording. Be forewarned, however, that the 5400ES does not advance the the next song as quickly as the 333ES or the 555ES and the 5400 has no programming features except repeat. My associated equipment are a First Watt 2 channel Aleph J amp, Arcam AV9 pre/pro, Infinity Composition Prelude speakers, and blue truth cables from Bettercables.com. With the 5400ES, I feel that my audio investment has finally paid off. I have never known an authorized ES dealer so buy this unit wherever you can find it. Sony will honor the warranty with just a telephone call on its 800 number. While it is worth more than retail, you should be able to find one for around $1,200.00
post #12 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got mine for $1,169.00 with shipping.

Good price. I paid more, but I do not regret it. Its worth more than retail. I don't think the Sony execs know what they have in this product.
post #13 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good price. I paid more, but I do not regret it. Its worth more than retail. I don't think the Sony execs know what they have it this product.

I agree, this is the best CD player that I have purchased. I have a Yamaha CDR - HD 1500 recorder that does an excellent job recording cd's but they sound even better played back on the Sony. I have been enjoying all of my old old cd's with a new respect. My wife was not at all happy that I spent that much on a cd player but after I put a couple of her prized cd's in she is now a believer.
post #14 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:

My opinion was based upon what I heard with my ears. What other proof do you need?

How did you confirm that it is what you heard and not what you think you heard? After all, proof means something definite so I'm asking.
post #15 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How did you confirm that it is what you heard and not what you think you heard? After all, proof means something definite so I'm asking.

I would have to say that when I listen to a cd that I have enjoyed for years and then pick out detail that I did not know was even there when I play the same disc on the sony it is proof to me. Now that is not to say that you should take it as proof any more than anythinig anyone says on this forum but in my mind that is all the proof I need.
post #16 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

I would have to say that when I listen to a cd that I have enjoyed for years and then pick out detail that I did not know was even there when I play the same disc on the sony it is proof to me. Now that is not to say that you should take it as proof any more than anythinig anyone says on this forum but in my mind that is all the proof I need.

Well, perhaps you didn't know those details because you forgot about them. The mind is like that about small details, short memory.
Once can always confirm the presence of those forgotten details by careful comparisons under bias controlled conditions. Unfortunately that may not be palatable to some as the answers may be not what one wants.

Quote:

I think this is the result of your brain imparting its perceptions of the input signals to it, or the lack of those signals. Yes, the brain can give false and misleading data. Just part of being human.

Hence, it was discovered that when humans are the receptors, and reliable data is needed, bias controls must be implemented.
post #17 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I got mine for $1,169.00 with shipping.

where???
post #18 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

Well, perhaps you didn't know those details because you forgot about them. The mind is like that about small details, short memory.
Once can always confirm the presence of those forgotten details by careful comparisons under bias controlled conditions. Unfortunately that may not be palatable to some as the answers may be not what one wants.

I think this is the result of your brain imparting its perceptions of the input signals to it, or the lack of those signals. Yes, the brain can give false and misleading data. Just part of being human.

Hence, it was discovered that when humans are the receptors, and reliable data is needed, bias controls must be implemented.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I have heard all this before but I stand by what I said. I have 3 cd players set up with one being a cd recorder and the other being an entry level sony sacd five disc changer. Playing the same cd's on each the sony es-5400 stands out above the others. My wife and others who have listened also agree. This is not to say that the sony is better than or should even be considered a high end unit. I have never owned a high end unit to compare it to but it is the best unit I have owned to date.

I understand the need for and respect the scientific testing end of things but with all due respect have to take exception to the notion that you cannot compare 3 units side by side on the same equipment, same source material and determine the better sounding cd player.
post #19 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I understand the need for and respect the scientific testing end of things but with all due respect have to take exception to the notion that you cannot compare 3 units side by side on the same equipment, same source material and determine the better sounding cd player.

Sure you can. It may take little longer than ideal to switch between CDPs but it's certainly doable.

Here's good list for you to check out.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100068
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1051337
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1032282
post #20 of 354 Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

... but with all due respect have to take exception to the notion that you cannot compare 3 units side by side on the same equipment, same source material and determine the better sounding cd player.

But, when it is done uncontrolled, it really is unreliable, no matter who agrees with you. Actually, it is best done in your environment, on your gear, etc but controls are necessary otherwise, as stated above.
post #21 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bingo!
post #22 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure you can. It may take little longer than ideal to switch between CDPs but it's certainly doable.

Here's good list for you to check out.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100068
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1051337
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1032282

Actually on my system all I have to do is move the disc to the player I choose, hit the appropriate input and hit play. I use the Yamaha CD recorder a lot and the entry level sony 5 disc changer will be used when the weather gets warmer when we are entertaining on the patio and don't want to keep changing discs.
post #23 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

where???

EBAY - United on line shipping. Just looked last night now $1,179.00 and free shipping. Also got my SC-27 pioneer receiver from them and they are great to deal with.
post #24 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If you goggle this unit (SCD-XA5400ES) you will find a review stating this is the best sounding unit under 10k. Its a reviewer on audiogon, and he is using high end gear like Acousic Research and Arye. He certainly describes accurately what he hears as its the same thing I hear. The 5400 is hands down the best play back format I've ever experienced in my system.
post #25 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Not having anything that could compare with the equipment those folks use I will leave comparisons like that to them, but it is nice when the audiophile crowd agrees.
post #26 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:

I would have to say that when I listen to a cd that I have enjoyed for years and then pick out detail that I did not know was even there when I play the same disc on the sony it is proof to me.

Proof of what? That the difference was caused by the room mode, volume level difference or room temperature and humidity?

Quote:

Now that is not to say that you should take it as proof any more than anythinig anyone says on this forum but in my mind that is all the proof I need.

If you can present detailed report of how the comparisons were made and if they meet the standards outlined by what is a proper DBT, then the proof from it would be useful to others as well.

Now, lets see some details on how you and gbaby have done the listening tests.
post #27 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Proof of what? That the difference was caused by the room mode, volume level difference or room temperature and humidity?

If you can present detailed report of how the comparisons were made and if they meet the standards outlined by what is a proper DBT, then the proof from it would be useful to others as well.

Now, lets see some details on how you and gbaby have done the listening tests.

The only thing I did was to use the analog outs of both players with my Arcam AV9 and I switch back in forth between the Sony SCD-555ES and the Sony SCD-XA5400ES on a CD that I own two copies. The differences were not subtle but hugh and immediately audible. But, to be quite honest, and with no offense, don't even consider the XA5400ES, but continue to be cynical while we enjoy our units.
post #28 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:

The only thing I did was to use the analog outs of both players with my Arcam AV9 and I switch back in forth between the Sony SCD-555ES and the Sony SCD-XA5400ES on a CD that I own two copies. The differences were not subtle but hugh and immediately audible.

Don't you think you should've compared two 5400 (one new and the other broken-in) to see if break-in makes audible difference or not?
Quote:

There is a substantial break in time for the 5400, but you will be rewarded sonically.

post #29 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by corybud View Post

ebay - united on line shipping. Just looked last night now $1,179.00 and free shipping. Also got my sc-27 pioneer receiver from them and they are great to deal with.

thanks!!

this whole dbt thing and sound differences is getting old and has been beaten to death ad nauseam--obviously some people require different degrees of evidence needed to support their beliefs so the issue will never be solved. Cant we just enjoy the gear and move past this extremely lame old argument or are we here in this thread just to pick a fight? If the latter is the case anger management groups may be a more productive way of dealing with these feelings. No im not kidding.
post #30 of 354 Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

this whole dbt thing and sound differences is getting old and has been beaten to death ad nauseam--

Is someone forcing you to read it?

Quote:

Cant we just enjoy the gear

Did someone here try to stop anyone from enjoying their gear? I'd like to see some quotes of that.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page