AVS Forum banner

Is there an iPod for home audio systems?

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Brian-in-NJ 
#1 ·
I have a Sony CDP-CX255 200-disc CD player and I am now looking for a new TV/audio stand that can hold this monster of a component. I just realized that I have ripped most of these CD to MP3s and was wondering if there is such a thing as an iPod-like device for home audio systems. I don't want any wireless capability, any kind of networking or other special features - just something that works like an iPod, looks like an audio component, and plugs into my receiver/amp.

Please don't tell me that I have to use a portable MP3 player and a docking station! Thanks.

#2 ·
You have to use a portable MP3 player and a docking station. Or Wifi.

All right, I'll give you one: Check out the Olive line.

But an Airport Express costs $100, and there are other products out there which work similarly. Streaming from your computer is the new CD. Give it a thought.

#3 ·
Many DVD and Blu-ray players today play "all" audio formats. Of these, most can play from USB connected devices and some even eSATA. So, the only problem is for you is that they look like video components instead of audio components.
(And hiding the storage device shouldn't be hard.)

Song selection and such may not be as spiffy as some other devices but it gets the job done - playing audio.

Also, there's probably CD players that play from external storage.

larry

#4 ·
probably not what you want to hear, but....

I have been using a itouch 4g to hold music, using airplay you can now send audio to airport express from the itouch device. I have 3 airport units around the house and can choose where to send audio from itouch, you can also control volume. An additional feature is the ability to send pandora/slacker and other internet radio to the express devices.

#5 ·
Folks, thanks for the replies. I appreciate hearing about alternative solutions.

Those Olive products look really slick, but $999 for the entry-level box that doesn't read mp3 CDs eliminates it. Regarding the DVD player, it would have the look but I'd prefer to have some sort of readout showing at least the album/artist name like the Sony beast did. And any kind of iPod/iTouch/iWhatever is a no-go for this particular application.

I do have all of the music files on a network storage device, so I'm now considering breaking one of my conditions, joining the 21st century and getting a Logitech Squeezebox Touch ($285), which would stream to the stereo and also get Pandora and the other Internet stuff. I already have an Ethernet jack on the wall so I don't have to use the wireless, and if I can get the Squeezebox server to work on the storage device, I won't have to have a PC running at all times (which would be a deal breaker). Not exactly what I was looking for, but an inexpensive alternative if it works.

Time for more research...

#6 ·
I looked long and hard for something like you are asking about. I was also using a 200 disc changer, and liked it very well. Wanted to streamline my equipment rack, and when I wanted a visual interface have it.

I tried first iPod dock to my Denon AVR. Ok for the most part, but sound was sub-par, even with 320kbps rips. Looked at the no longer available hard drive music servers, but long gone. Looked at things like Olive, but the price of admission was just too much.

I knew my Denon would stream rips, so I bought a small form factor PC for use as a file server, and found by accident, that Windows 7 and WMC make an awsome CD changer replacement. Was not what I intended to do, but since I had never had hands on with Windows 7, I had no idea how well it would work.

#7 ·
I think SONOS players can read from your NAS disk, and unlike Squeezebox you don't need to run any software on the storage device or a computer:
http://www.sonos.com/products/zonepl...&LangType=1033

I have Squeezeboxes and love them. I'm sure that I would be happy with a Sonos system, too. Going digital really changed the way I listen to music, all for the better. It would be really hard to go back to having to swap CDs or browse my collection using a dinky display across the room. Internet radio and music services (like last.fm and Pandora) are really nice, too, for when you want to discover new music or just get a mix that you didn't manually pick.

-Max

#8 ·
I think the apple Tv is what you're looking for. It'll let you have access to all your music on your PC (you'll need a wireless or wired connection to the apple tv) and you can connect the apple Tv to your Tv and Receiver -- giving you access to your full library plus album art on your Tv.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsitypride3 /forum/post/19815256

I think the apple Tv is what you're looking for. It'll let you have access to all your music on your PC (you'll need a wireless or wired connection to the apple tv) and you can connect the apple Tv to your Tv and Receiver -- giving you access to your full library plus album art on your Tv.

I suppose that would work, but the problem with that solution is not only would I need to have my PC on and to run iTunes (is that true?), but I would also need the TV on, which is even further from my goal. I asked Santa Wife for (and received) a Squeezebox Touch and a new Synology NAS with a 2TB disk for Christmas.

All I need now is for my TV/audio stand to arrive at the furniture store and I can start hooking it all up. I'll worry about making it work later. Thanks to all for the replies/suggestions.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion /forum/post/19908652

Is there a standalone iPod dock with coax/optical or stereo analog outs? Other than proprietary iPod docks?

Not interested in wireless, network or ext drive solutions. Just plain stereo analog or coax/optical outs.

You mean like the Wadia that can send PCM? Or other "generic" standalone docks that send analog? I believe Wadia and other who send PCM have to get a license from Apple or something.

larry

#13 ·
I just disconnected my 300 disc changer this past week. I've been streaming to both my systems through a Airport Express and between computers with iTunes and AirFoil. I can control the playlist on my iPhone using Apple's Remote package from inside or out as long as I'm in wifi range which is in most of my yard. I haven't used the Changer for so long that I removed it to free up some space as it was siting on the end of my bar in the ManCave using up a sizable portion of the bar. Once I replaced an old 27" wall mounted conventional TV (which really took up a sizable area above the bar where the Changer was) with a 42" Vizio LCD panal placed on a Tilt mount on the wall, which I've hooked a MacPro computer to as well as a Split signal for the Comcast DVR in the Living Room and a Wii (wife and I are late to the "gaming scene" but do weekly Friday Night bowling now (sometime with friends).

I loved the changer, but iTune with a iPhone with Remote is just such a much more enjoyable way to play music (in three separate zones) and now movies as well with the new 42" Vizio in the ManCave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.