Marantz SA8004 and NAD C545BEE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been recommended Marantz SA8004 and NAD C545BEE CD players

Feedback on performances would also be appreciated.

Currently, the plan is to pair with Onkyo TX NR3008 AV Amp and Paradigm Studio 60 floorstanding speakers. Which one would better match this set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
i would sooner recommend the Marantz. the SA8004 has multiple digital inputs in the back, including USB(!), which would make an apple tv or any other digital music transport sound much better. i also personally own (and enjoy) marantz gear

disclaimer: i am not very familiar with NAD products. if the digital inputs dont interest you, i would say go off of your own personal audition... which should be the best choice regardless. youre the one who will be using it

2.0 > 7.1
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All-

I've have had the Marantz SA-8004 CD+DAC (w/Optical+USB-B+Coax+USB-Ipod) for about a month now.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SA8004

As a CD player I am pleased -I like the sound very much, though I can't hear much difference vs my Marantz CC-4003 CD-changer. I don't have a golden ear, so other folks might detect a greater difference.

I happen to have a couple of SACD's - they sound very good also - maybe a little better than the CD version - (but not worth it to me to replace any existing CDs to SACDs, but others may differ)

What I really love is the variety of DAC Inputs:
Once you adjust for volume, the USB-B connection direct from the laptop is virtually CD quality using Itunes as a player.
I love the front USB-Ipod input - if I am listening to something on the IPOD when I walk into the house, its a quick switch to pull the ear-plugs and plug it into the stereo.
The TOSLINK connection works great with my Apple Airport Express.
The Digital Coax connection works great with the digital output from my Marantz CC-4003.

Hope this is helpful - Enjoy the music!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The Marantz does offer a lot more flexibility and does have the SACD option. However for straight forward Redbook CD I would give the edge to the NAD. Also to throw out an option the Cambridge Audio 650BD universal player. Don't forget hi def music audio discs are starting to come out on Blu Ray gives you an added option along w/SACD. Cost is $699 right in your budget. Good hunting.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM

I have a NAD CD565BEE. It sounds good to me. I also have a Marantz UD5005 Universal player that sounds the same to me. I don't have golden ears. The reason I bought the NAD because it has optical in which will allow me to use as a DAC as well. I plan to hook up my Mac Mini to it one day. Just got to rip my CD collection to lossless format. Only my new CDs are in lossless ATM.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 AM

How would the HD990 compare with the Marantz. Its almost 500 bucks cheaper and received good reviews in techradar.

Living RoomSqueezebox Touch+ Cambridge Audio 504D --> Cambridge Audio 840a --> Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands
Office - Sonos ZP90 -> Audioengine A5+
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page