List of devices that bypass iPod's internal DAC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GrandPixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Creating a list of devices (docks/cables/etc) that extract a digital stream from Apple devices. Just establishing the thread right now. Please chime in with names of products that fit this purpose. Hope to have a complete and up to date list with links, prices, etc.
GrandPixel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
milaz001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/171i/

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
milaz001 is offline  
post #3 of 90 Old 02-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Harrypt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Harrypt is offline  
post #4 of 90 Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

This and the Wadia product have a substantial difference. This device includes a DAC. You are still "captive" once you get this device. It's not a transport.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #5 of 90 Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Harrypt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

This and the Wadia product have a substantial difference. This device includes a DAC. You are still "captive" once you get this device. It's not a transport.

larry

But I learned here on AVS that all DACs sound the same so what's the difference?
Harrypt is offline  
post #6 of 90 Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt View Post

But I learned here on AVS that all DACs sound the same so what's the difference?

Freedom of choice.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #7 of 90 Old 03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it worth getting the Istreamer? $200 is not that much, but i dont want to waste $200 on minimum improvements. Also do AVR's have DACs built in them. I assume they must. So if they do, then they should be able to upgrade the files that pass through them. That would prove the IStreamer obsolete. Correct me if im wrong.
riverst is offline  
post #8 of 90 Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Cheapest is iPod doc from onkyo, nd-s1

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/inde...mart&Itemid=53

Otherwise yeah the wadi a and the krell. That's it am aware off.

The fact though is that the iPods dac itself in the Woodson is not half bad it's the analog output that's carp. If you use the Cambridge id50 or arcam rdock that sorts that out and about half the price of other options.

Also theres the little atv at $99 with digital output about the cheapest option out there.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #9 of 90 Old 03-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverst View Post

Is it worth getting the Istreamer? $200 is not that much, but i dont want to waste $200 on minimum improvements. Also do AVR's have DACs built in them. I assume they must. So if they do, then they should be able to upgrade the files that pass through them. That would prove the IStreamer obsolete. Correct me if im wrong.

bump
riverst is offline  
post #10 of 90 Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
looks like another to add to the list, the cambridge id100 digital dock for ipod, ipad, iphone
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=605

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #11 of 90 Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've got the Emotiva XDA-1 DAC and an Ipod. I want to send digital to the XDA. Is the Cambridge Audio or Wadia product my only option? The XDA has optical, Coax and USB inputs.
runnin' is offline  
post #12 of 90 Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin'
I've got the Emotiva XDA-1 DAC and an Ipod. I want to send digital to the XDA. Is the Cambridge Audio or Wadia product my only option? The XDA has optical, Coax and USB inputs.
Not the only options, did you bother reading my posts in this thread ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #13 of 90 Old 03-05-2011, 05:00 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yeah I did. I didn't realize you actually named seven options as I found your post somewhat confusing. I should have mentioned I didn't want to spend any more than the Wadia option and the Onkyo model is 400. But thanks for the help.

Edit: for those looking, the Cambridge id50 only seems to have analog output.
runnin' is offline  
post #14 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Cambridge Audio id100 seem to function similar to the Wadia 170i and the Onlyo dock but at a cheaper price. The HRT iStreamer extracts digital files also but has a built in DAC. My only concern with the iStreamer is the (RCA) analog output. The others have a toslink output. Also the iStreamer DAC is only 16/48hrz.

? What about the iPure dock? Any good?

So im ready to pull the trigger, but very hesitate now. I need a device that will give me the "BEST" output from my ipod Classic to my Denon 3310 AVR.
riverst is offline  
post #15 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverst View Post

The Cambridge Audio id100 seem to function similar to the Wadia 170i and the Onlyo dock but at a cheaper price. The HRT iStreamer extracts digital files also but has a built in DAC. My only concern with the iStreamer is the (RCA) analog output. The others have a toslink output. Also the iStreamer DAC is only 16/48hrz.

? What about the iPure dock? Any good?

So im ready to pull the trigger, but very hesitate now. I need a device that will give me the "BEST" output from my ipod Classic to my Denon 3310 AVR.

I own the wadia and it is a great dock, but if I were to buy now I would go with the cambridge id100 since it has much more options on the ipod or ipad and it is cheaper.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #16 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yeah, it looks like the Cambridge model is the best option price wise, and they have a very good reputation for quality. It's officially on my list and I'll probably get one at the end of the month.
runnin' is offline  
post #17 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Yeah, it looks like the Cambridge model is the best option price wise, and they have a very good reputation for quality. It's officially on my list and I'll probably get one at the end of the month.

If I could sale my wadia I would buy the cambridge.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #18 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Member
 
riverst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone. The trigger is pulled and the Cambridge id100 is on the way, along with a OPPO-BDP-93....Thanks for the help.
riverst is offline  
post #19 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverst View Post

Thanks everyone. The trigger is pulled and the Cambridge id100 is on the way, along with a OPPO-BDP-93....Thanks for the help.

Awesome, let us know how well you like everything when you get it set up.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #20 of 90 Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
good stuff we want pics and impressions ? you going for silver or black. based on id50 can say build fit and finish will be superb !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #21 of 90 Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

looks like another to add to the list, the cambridge id100 digital dock for ipod, ipad, iphone
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=605

Does anyone know how well this would work with a Pioneer SX-850 receiver (circa 1978)? It only has analog inputs, which the iD100 does not have. I'm sure there is an adapter, but would it make more sense to go with the Wadia 170i??

Thanks!
theshiv is offline  
post #22 of 90 Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiv View Post


Does anyone know how well this would work with a Pioneer SX-850 receiver (circa 1978)? It only has analog inputs, which the iD100 does not have. I'm sure there is an adapter, but would it make more sense to go with the Wadia 170i??

Thanks!

If only have analog inputs grab the Cambridge id50, it's half the price and get very decent analog output from it. Am using one of those with my nadm3 2ch analog integrated to very good effect.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #23 of 90 Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiv View Post

Does anyone know how well this would work with a Pioneer SX-850 receiver (circa 1978)? It only has analog inputs, which the iD100 does not have. I'm sure there is an adapter, but would it make more sense to go with the Wadia 170i??

Thanks!

Yeah there is an adapter, it's called the DAC, and both the Wadia and the Cambridge needs it. Go with the cheaper cambridge, as it has been posted.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #24 of 90 Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
FYI, the Cambridge id100 has been on Amazon, with Audio Adviser listed as the vendor. Recently Amazon listed it as not available anymore, but I got info from someone in the loop that it would be coming back, and it is available at Amazon again.

It makes it easier for me as I am hooked up with Amazon and don't have to send all my info/cc to yet another dealer.
runnin' is offline  
post #25 of 90 Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Yeah there is an adapter, it's called the DAC, and both the Wadia and the Cambridge needs it. Go with the cheaper cambridge, as it has been posted.

yes, the cheaper cambridge ID50 is good choice if looking for a dock with analog inputs. can see it top left in the pic of my bedroom system there.


"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #26 of 90 Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

If only have analog inputs grab the Cambridge id50, it's half the price and get very decent analog output from it. Am using one of those with my nadm3 2ch analog integrated to very good effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Yeah there is an adapter, it's called the DAC, and both the Wadia and the Cambridge needs it. Go with the cheaper cambridge, as it has been posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

yes, the cheaper cambridge ID50 is good choice if looking for a dock with analog inputs. can see it top left in the pic of my bedroom system there.

I appreciate the responses! One question, though: does the iD50 still do what the iD100 & 170i do? If not, wouldn't the 170i make more sense since it does have analog out?

I ask because it seems people are recommending the iD100 over the 170i, so that would be the one I'd choose if not for the analog connection issue.
theshiv is offline  
post #27 of 90 Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
 
runnin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The reason the ID100 is being recommended is that it allows you to bypass the DAC in your ipod, and send digital from the ipod to a DAC of your choice, be it an AVR or standalone DAC. In that regard, it does the same function as the Wadia, plus apparent better remote operation for cheaper.

If all you need is analog out, you have more options, including the Wadia and various ipod docs.
runnin' is offline  
post #28 of 90 Old 03-13-2011, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiv View Post

I appreciate the responses! One question, though: does the iD50 still do what the iD100 & 170i do? If not, wouldn't the 170i make more sense since it does have analog out?

I ask because it seems people are recommending the iD100 over the 170i, so that would be the one I'd choose if not for the analog connection issue.

you onlty have analog inputs on what you have, so basically have a couple of choices. use something like the cambridge ID50 with analog outputs, theres also the arcam rdock that I also own and is similarly very good.

if you buy one of the docks with digital output, they are more expensive, and you will have to also add a DAC on one of these to use in your system which is more additional cost.

something you will need to decide as to which way to go.

as mentioned if planning ipod output and digital output. the cheapest option is infact the $99 appletv. it will stream off any ipod/ipad/mac and provide a digital output. so in some ways buying an ipod dock with digital output is kinda redundant !

can see little apple tv hooked up banchmark dac1 here (via optical), it feeds my nad m3 integrated over analog. Here we have the apple tv wirelessly streaming off my apple mac which is downstairs. If I want to I can wirelessly stream off any manner of other apple devices ipod/ipad/iphone/itouch that also have in the house ! the sharp lcd if wanted can show track playing or movies or photos off the atv or even watch stuff off youtube.


close up showing little apple tv feeding the benchmark dac1

LL
LL

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #29 of 90 Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Member
 
theshiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm...maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I'm looking for something that bypasses the iPod DAC, such as the Cambridge or the Wadia. The Wadia has analog outputs, and the Cambridge does not.

Since I need something with analog output, the Wadia makes sense. However, most people in this thread seem to be recommending the Cambridge, which was why I asked about a digital --> analog convertor.

When all is said and done, I guess the Wadia is the way to go for my needs.
theshiv is offline  
post #30 of 90 Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The Wadia has no analog outputs, since it has no built in DACs, so no it is not a good choice for you. Unless you buy a separate DAC and insert it between the Wadia and your receiver.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transp...ifications.php

The Hun
thehun is offline  
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off