Marantz SA-11S2 & SA-15S2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
surprised I have'nt seen much input on these dedicated 2ch CD/SACD Marantz players from any owners. I'm seriously considering purchasing one or the other.

I'm also considering Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Oppo BDP-95, Denon DBP-2012UD, Marantz UD7006. Either would act as a "music player".

More than anything I'm really looking for high quality 2ch playback and SACD compatibility.

I would really love one of the newer more "universal" type players with HDMI and 2ch/5.1/7.1ch analog OUT's capable of playnig CD, SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD sources. However am looking for the most stable built and functioning player.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

surprised I have'nt seen much input on these dedicated 2ch CD/SACD Marantz players from any owners. I'm seriously considering purchasing one or the other.

I'm also considering Sony SCD-XA5400ES, Oppo BDP-95, Denon DBP-2012UD, Marantz UD7006. Either would act as a "music player".

More than anything I'm really looking for high quality 2ch playback and SACD compatibility.

I would really love one of the newer more "universal" type players with HDMI and 2ch/5.1/7.1ch analog OUT's capable of playnig CD, SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD sources. However am looking for the most stable built and functioning player.

I wonder indeed why you havent checked these out as yet !

they are both lovely players, I'd ofcourse be erring towards a sa11 if can ofcourse and money can stretch.

where these players really win is universal players will come and go...but good 2ch players will be something you can use and enjoy for decades

my sony scd-xa9000es is a lovely player and was released back in 2004 and yet all these years still just gorgeous.

dont hold back west be something youd love I reckon and be enjoying many years from now

some other nice players...

there is also the arcam CD37 which is a very nice cd/sacd player
http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,cd-players,CD37.htm

I have the nad m5 master series cd/sacd player as well in the bedroom system and is a good option to the marantz players

LL

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #3 of 14 Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks alebonau. I'm at a point where I'm realizing it may be a more wise investment to opt for a "dedicated" type player this time around as opposed to settling for a "universal" player. My priority is good CD performance, I have a large collection of RedBook titles. In addition I own like 120 SACD's, 40 DVD-A's, 15 HDCD's (most of which are Joni Mitchell titles), and maybe 8 or 10 DualDisc's. It would be nice to have a player capable of playing, both, stereo and multi-channel layer on hybrid SACD titles, I really love the multi-channel music sound. I am happy listening to stereo SACD tracks though.

I've been using a Denon DVD-3930CI universal player for the last four years as my "music" machine, it really does yield excellent sound quality for all these formats. Has great features- ie. bass management, source direct, AL24 processing, etc.,...However it has been a little fragile here and there. I've experienced a few laser assembly failures, had to send unit back to Denon factory service like three time ($300.00 per event). Although it has operated fairly consistent now for over a year (knock-on-wood). I do experience occasional "freezing" when playing CD sources. I just love the sound but am getting sick of inconsistent/random behavior.

Of course it's very tempting to go for the Oppo BDP-95. The initial owner comments seem to support very good highly resolving 2ch analog sound (although ultimate "sound character" will rely upon your other system components). I like that it has both balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) connections. Also the Oppo has all the cool functions, like the latest HDMI audio (2ch/5.1ch, DSD, etc.,...), I would have options of using Audyssey or pure direct analog path. My only concern is stablility over time, whether it will hiccup or exhibit some other failure or "frailure" My BDP-83SE had the common disc tray failure, I had to send it back, they replaced the unit (which is great service).

I could go with another (newer) Denon (ie. DBP-4010UDCI, DBP-2012UDCI).

That Arcam CD37 looks good at comparable price.

I really like the combination of features on the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. I may opt for one if I can find it.

Thing is I need something to play DVD-A and HDCD (although HDCD titles also have CD layer).

Anyway getting closer to pulling the trigger
post #4 of 14 Old 03-05-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

West if have a large collection, cd and sacd, its what would concentrate on to get a good player for to use and enjoy over the years. It can be the one constant and there are some lovely players to choose from.

Re DVDa it's a dead format, and feel if forcing yourself to get something to do the lot will end up with a universal player anyhow with some compromises some place.

I have owned the denon 4010 myself, as a universal it is very good particularly over denon link which is it's strength. I used it with my denon avp and a beaut pairing. I ended up selling it which I think in hindsight a mistake. But it is too a fragile thing. Also tech it's based on does get overhauled just a bit to quickly for it to be any long term investment. I've owned a new hddvd/bd player basically every year for the last 5 years !

Unless using the 4010 over denon link, there'd be some better options out there I think.

post #5 of 14 Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

West if have a large collection, cd and sacd, its what would concentrate on to get a good player for to use and enjoy over the years. I have owned the denon 4010 myself, as a universal it is very good particularly over denon link which is it's strength. But it is too a fragile thing. Unless using the 4010 over denon link, there'd be some better options out there I think.

thanks for your input. Yeah, seems the DBP-4010UDCI presented "typical" Denon behavior? Exceptionally good sound-quality, however can be "flakey", or exhibit some random failures/hiccup's?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

my sony scd-xa9000es is a lovely player and was released back in 2004 and yet all these years still just gorgeous.

dont hold back west be something youd love I reckon and be enjoying many years from now

okay, I actually ordered a Sony SCD-XA5400ES from American Theater. I'll report back once I receive it. I plan to integrate this player to a new Marantz AV7005 pre-pro, Parasound Halo A51 amp, Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS60 fronts, GSLCR center).
post #7 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

okay, I actually ordered a Sony SCD-XA5400ES from American Theater. I'll report back once I receive it. I plan to integrate this player to a new Marantz AV7005 pre-pro, Parasound Halo A51 amp, Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS60 fronts, GSLCR center).

congrats !

post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I have owned a SA15-S1 for 3 or 4 trouble free years now and I am very pleased with it's sound performance. I replied today in the Oppo BDP-95 thread (I know you are involved) that at this early stage the Marantz has much more depth than the Oppo even with HDCD's. I know this is not really a level playing field with the Oppo so new, but getting back to the Marantz, I like it a lot. I know version 2 has upgraded power supply, DAC's, selectable filters. I have heard it's bigger brothers the 11 & 7 and as you move up the Marantz food chain you are rewarded; I guess it's how much do you want to spend. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Steve
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

I have owned a SA15-S1 for 3 or 4 trouble free years now and I am very pleased with it's sound performance. I replied today in the Oppo BDP-95 thread (I know you are involved) that at this early stage the Marantz has much more depth than the Oppo even with HDCD's. I know this is not really a level playing field with the Oppo so new, but getting back to the Marantz, I like it a lot. I know version 2 has upgraded power supply, DAC's, selectable filters. I have heard it's bigger brothers the 11 & 7 and as you move up the Marantz food chain you are rewarded; I guess it's how much do you want to spend. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

thanks for your input. I came very close to pulling the trigger on the SA-15S2 (like last week) but ultimately sprung for, both, the Sony SCD-XA5400ES and the Oppo BDP-95.

After reading more about the Sony I was very impressed with it's combination of features, a solid dedicated CD/SACD player. The fact that it (supposedly) has very good 2ch analog section combined with 2ch/5.1ch HDMI operation. I wanted surround capability for 5.1 SACD's, the Marantz is limited to 2ch (which is really not a bad thing, I know). Now I'm really curious how the SCD-XA5400ES 2ch analog OUT will compare to the SA-15S2?

The Oppo BDP-95 will provide all other functionality- ie. DVD-A, HDCD, and of course CD, SD-DVD, BD (2ch/5.1ch and HDMI). Moreover the new 2ch analog audio circuitry is (supposedly) very refined. If I find that this player exhibit's error's and failures I will return it for something else (possibly the new Marantz UD7006).

All-in-all I'm happy that I was able to purchased two significantly good players for a grand total of $2200.00
post #10 of 14 Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Cool, 2 for 1 & happy with your decision; it doesn't get much better than that!

Steve
post #11 of 14 Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
congrats with your new stuff!
didnt you say you already have the Oppo 83SE ?
The Sony outputs 5.1 only over HDMI so the processing will be done by your pre/pro, so not sure how much of an improvement over Oppo 83 it will be..
Built quality of course is much better on the Sony.

Interesting to hear your comparison of the SONY vs Oppo 95.. I suspect the Oppo over analog out will be better for 5.1 SACD, closer call for 2 channel SACD and redbook.

I think you would do just fine with only the Oppo 95 (or the 83SE you already have)
post #12 of 14 Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneinsg View Post

congrats with your new stuff!
didnt you say you already have the Oppo 83SE ?
The Sony outputs 5.1 only over HDMI so the processing will be done by your pre/pro, so not sure how much of an improvement over Oppo 83 it will be..
Built quality of course is much better on the Sony.

Interesting to hear your comparison of the SONY vs Oppo 95.. I suspect the Oppo over analog out will be better for 5.1 SACD, closer call for 2 channel SACD and redbook.

I think you would do just fine with only the Oppo 95 (or the 83SE you already have)

yeah I own an Oppo BDP-83SE, it's a great player, although I experienced the famous disc-tray failure (of which Oppo replaced). Sound is great, but I actually preferred my Denon DVD-3930CI for 2ch/5.1ch analog. The Oppoo BDP-83SE is being used in a TV/video set-up now.

I've read very good things about the Sony's 2ch analog. The BDP-83SE did sound excellent with 5.1 SACD's, however not as "full" as the Denon to me. The Oppo was very clean sounding but a little "thin".
post #13 of 14 Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So did anyone really answer the original question? I am also looking at the 15 vs 11. Is the 11 worth the extra grand?
post #14 of 14 Old 08-31-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question NOT answered

Though this question or post is old - it is still nice to have seen the ORIGINAL question answered.
especially since there are several Sony SCD XA5400ES AND Marantz SACD players up for auction/sale this day Aug 31, 2014.

I do not understand why or what a person is thinking, if at all - when a SPECIFIC question is asked to then have someone respond with a unit NOT a part of the question. Is this person seeking confirmation that they made a good choice?

I'd like to make a point here regarding the unit or comment which the poster felt a unit provided more for the money as opposed to a dedicated 2 channel SACD player.
It sounded to me the question was about purchasing the best QUALITY SACD/CD unit!
When you consider all the features in a unit - you then need to reduce the value of each of the added features to finally get to what the value or quality IS of JUST the 2 channel SACD/Cd portion of the player.
My point IS: Marantz devoted all the cost to build a 2 channel SACD/CD player (with a quality DAC Cirrus Logic 4398) to provide the best THAT the price tag can buy - why would one want to settle for less by buying a unit that has too many or more features - as that decision negates the original question!
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page