Need a recommendation for a multi-disc cd player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something that won't break the bank. I will be feeding it into my Pioneer VSX-920-K receiver, so Toslink or HDMI is preferred.

I have a cd collection of over 3000 and need something nice to play my discs on. Getting tired of turning on my computer each time I want to listen to a CD.

Any leads in the right direction would be appreciated. Looking for something like a 5-disc carousal.

I think those high-capacity units (100+ discs) would be too hard to keep track of, but the older Sony Metastorage ones look interesting and can be had used for as little as $30-$40 and they have toslink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Both Denon and Marantz still make 5-disc players. Prices range from $299-$499. I had a Marantz years ago and found it very reliable never had a problem. Also when I wanted to sell it the Marantz sold in just 1 day. They carry a good reputation and even CD players keep some of their value.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Any specific models? With that in mind would a $300 cd player vs a $50 cd player really make a difference? So long as both have Toslink I should be ok no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Both Denon and Marantz still make 5-disc players. Prices range from $299-$499. I had a Marantz years ago and found it very reliable never had a problem. Also when I wanted to sell it the Marantz sold in just 1 day. They carry a good reputation and even CD players keep some of their value.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien69 View Post

Any specific models? With that in mind would a $300 cd player vs a $50 cd player really make a difference? So long as both have Toslink I should be ok no?

You'll get different opinions, but no it shouldn't make a difference. I personally like CD players with good controls and features (like programmable macros), sometimes this costs more.

Pioneer's 300-disc DVD and CD changers are still for sale, either as old stock or brand new (I don't know), I know the DVD model can slave another unit (so 600 total discs) - but you're looking at around $1000 for 600 discs (great for DVD collections,but your CD collection is much larger than that).

I'd look at used equipment potentially (a decent CD player may cost you no more than $10 at a thrift shop), a file changer might be a good choice (25 or 50 disc capacity, I know Technics and Pioneer both made models) - let you run a lot of discs at once, but very easy to load and unload vs the Sony/Pioneer carousels.

I know JVC made a 5-disc changer that opens like a turntable, instead of with a drawer - looks interesting but I have no comment on reliability (I avoid 5-disc drawer units as they tend to die on me).
post #5 of 8 Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked: 12
I have been using a pioneer pdf1007 for over ten years without a problem. I just recently added a second (used) unit so that it can play 602 discs. The current model pdf1009 cannot be daisy chained. Sound quality is great and the mechanism is quiet and fast. Found my second unit on eBay for $77.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Nice! I found a Pioneer PD-F908 101 disc CD player on Kijiji w/ remote for $40. I think I will pick it up and try it out. I read that many of these multi-disc changers break easily, but hey for $40 even if it lasts a few years I will be happy, and if it doesn't, it's only $40. I wonder what the retail price of these units were when they came out? Must have been $300+

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgene View Post

I have been using a pioneer pdf1007 for over ten years without a problem. I just recently added a second (used) unit so that it can play 602 discs. The current model pdf1009 cannot be daisy chained. Sound quality is great and the mechanism is quiet and fast. Found my second unit on eBay for $77.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've got a 908 that is on its last legs. About 10 years old and starting to skip and reject disks. Not the greatest sound, but OK - and should be fine if you use digital out.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Yamaha used to make good changers, but the last thing I bought from them sucks. Not sure who makes their changers these days.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page