Please Try to Teach an Old Dog New Tricks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings Learned Forum:

I have been using my CD player to provide the source material for my 2 channel set up since shortly after CDs came out. At the same time, I have ripped all of my CDs (500 +/-) to MP3 format, and store them on my PC. I use iTunes to organize my music, and I have an older iPod (wheel, not a touch).

I have been toying with the idea of integrating my two systems. Specifically, I am considering trying to access my PC based music library through my stereo system. The two are located on separate floors, with no wiring connecting them. So this tells me I will either have to go wireless (if using my PC) or use an iPod dock (if using my iPod). My stereo receiver has digital optical inputs, so my thinking is that I want the receiver DAC to do the converting.

Also, please be advised that I do not own an iPhone. I have a Droid. So if I want to access internet radio or Pandora (which I do enjoy) I will only be able to do it via PC.

So I guess that is my first question. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a PC wirelessly vs. docking my iPod? My current thinking is that I will have more options with my PC (internet radio and Pandora), but what about sound quality? Would there be any noticeable difference between the two?

My second question is how do I get there? If using my PC, I have heard good things about AirPort Express. I already have a Cisco wireless router hooked up to my PC. And I found an Android app that is supposed to let me use my Droid as a remote for iTunes. This seems to be a reasonably priced solution that is well regarded. The Squeezebox Touch looks great, but is more than twice the price (almost three times) of the AirPort + Andriod app. Is there anything else I should be considering? Thoughts?

If going with a dock, I have been following a recent thread that speaks highly of Cambridge Audio id100. That would be my choice right now.

Thank you very much for your thoughts, experiences and suggestions. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks...

Just Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Woof?
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM

Liked: 11
Nick,

I recently ripped some of my CD collection to ITunes in apple lossless. Depending on your available space you may want to rip in a more compressed format. I stream from a laptop to the airport express ($65 amazon) wirelessly. You need a wireless network to do this, but you said you already had one so that's not a problem. The airport express is connected to my preamp using an optical toslink cable ($4 amazon). To me this is good quality but I don't have much to compare it to. Also it should be noted that I intend to upgrade to an apple tv in the future, but am waiting for a 1080p capable version. I do not believe this will provide an audible upgrade, but rather will provide a nice visual interface.

Trip

Edit:
Also you didn't mention what kind of iPod you have, but If it's one of the newer iPod touches then you can download the remote app and stream directly from it just like you described from the android phone.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page