Dest device for streaming music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys, I've decided to convert my entire music collection into .flac format, I usually listen to my music through my PS3 or xbox 360, but I'm not entirely happy with the sound quality I get when I do this. The ps3 sounds much better than the xbox, but I don't feel like im getting the full quality, though I might be wrong.

So, here is the question, what device should I be looking at to either store my music on or stream wirelessly across the network. Has to support .flac and I would prefer it to be the highest sound quality possible, after all I spent all this money on speakers and gear so I should enjoy my tunes shouldnt i?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
I stream my music to an airport express connected to a receiver via optical. Most of the files are ripped in AL which is equivalent to FLAC.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraham81 View Post

Ok guys, I've decided to convert my entire music collection into .flac format, I usually listen to my music through my PS3 or xbox 360, but I'm not entirely happy with the sound quality I get when I do this. The ps3 sounds much better than the xbox, but I don't feel like im getting the full quality, though I might be wrong.

So, here is the question, what device should I be looking at to either store my music on or stream wirelessly across the network. Has to support .flac and I would prefer it to be the highest sound quality possible, after all I spent all this money on speakers and gear so I should enjoy my tunes shouldnt i?

Thanks guys!

One more thing to consider is the complexity. With ps3 don't you have to have the tv on to search and select a song. That is a little cumbersome. Do you have a pc or Mac in your local network? Do you have a favorite jukebox program on you pc/Mac? Like the other poster suggested, airport express or even the new appletv would be pretty cost effective as well as simple to use.
post #4 of 26 Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Squeezebox

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 26 Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Squeezebox

I just sold my squeezebox 3 on eBay. I just did not have a need for it anymore since I got an appletv2 in the living room. But I agree squeezebox quality is great especially if you don't have a dac.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Not sure if this counts, but how about an iPod? I have yet to find a better dedicated audio serving device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my little audio hobby site
post #7 of 26 Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaugust View Post

Not sure if this counts, but how about an iPod? I have yet to find a better dedicated audio serving device.

It's great if you don't mind being tethered to Apple ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 26 Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaugust View Post

The iPod/iPad work great as Controllers. However the space is not sufficient for most people's music collections, especially when they wish to listen to the lossless versions.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 AM

A bit old, this thread, but thought I would +1 the SqueezeBox Touch in case the OP is still looking. I recently setup my 2-channel system, and am very conveniently streaming FLAC to the SBT from my windows 7 PC; it was very easy to set up, and is just as easy to browse. To my admittedly non-audiophile ears, it sounds wonderful. I am also currently setting up a home server with WHS 2011. I will reassign the streaming duties to it once up, and hope it will be just as easy as the PC setup was.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm using a TViX slim 1 with a 2tb hard drive. Have it going to an Arcam rDac then to my Marantz AV-7005.
Best part is you can network the box and upload anything to it. The TViX also plays movies etc.

The drives are swappable in about 5 seconds. very simple

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #11 of 26 Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I really love my Squeezebox Duet. I can control it with the included remote or my iPod Touch with my iPeng app.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking for a way to stream only internet radio to my stereo without using a PC. I also do not have and never will have an Ipod or smart phone.
I was looking to Logitech to solve that issue, but just discovered that they no longer offer such a product like the Duet or a couple of others they recently did. Now all they have is that crappy $1200 server thing which is worthless.
So now what does one use to do that? I hear the Grace devices are very poor quaility, so I don't want a ton of issues with those.
post #13 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisrocks View Post

I'm looking for a way to stream only internet radio to my stereo without using a PC.

So now what does one use to do that?

Any Internet radio with a headphone out will work. You just need this type of cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Basically, you can use anything that tunes over wifi and outputs over headphone outs, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Or if you want something really portable, an Internet tablet also works:

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-3-2-Inc...8676118&sr=1-1 (I have the smaller Archos 28, $85.)

Here's another, uses 3.5mm line out:
http://www.amazon.com/CC-CWF-WiFi-In.../dp/B0018782QI

Quote:

I hear the Grace devices are very poor quaility, so I don't want a ton of issues with those.

Where did you hear this?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #14 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Any Internet radio with a headphone out will work. You just need this type of cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Basically, you can use anything that tunes over wifi and outputs over headphone outs, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Or if you want something really portable, an Internet tablet also works:

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-3-2-Inc...8676118&sr=1-1 (I have the smaller Archos 28, $85.)

Here's another, uses 3.5mm line out:
http://www.amazon.com/CC-CWF-WiFi-In.../dp/B0018782QI

Where did you hear this?

I found out by visiting the Logitech website.
I was looking for something that did not have a built in speaker, but those ideas you listed are fine ideas. I like the remote to the CC one, but not sure of the quality of that unit.
I like the screen of the squeeze box. It would be nice if it had a remote, but not a deal breaker. I like the Internet tablet as well, but I don't want to have to buy a wireless plan from a phone company or something.
I'm thinking somehow I would just sync up the squeeze or something to my wireless router which I would have to figure out how to do.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I found out by visiting the Logitech website.

No, I meant for the Grace radios.

Quote:

I like the Internet tablet as well, but I don't want to have to buy a wireless plan from a phone company or something.

The Archos devices (and the Creative equivalents, like the Zen Touch 2) don't use phone service. They work with your existing WiFi, just like the radios do.

The Archos doesn't have a native radio app, and downloading one is a bit clunky, so that might be a turnoff (I was able to download "TuneIn Radio" for mine and it works great, but I wanted to give a heads up.)

I've never used the Creative WiFi ones.

post #16 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I meant for the Grace radios.

The Archos devices (and the Creative equivalents, like the Zen Touch 2) don't use phone service. They work with your existing WiFi, just like the radios do.

Oh the Grace ones. Yeah, just in talking to some who have had them.

Well, then that just adds to my choices, super!
post #17 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would try out a tablet at a store before buying one. Or find a friend who has a cellphone with the Android operating system and mess around with it (both the Archos and Creative devices use Android, which is the same OS the phones use.)

See if you like the operating system and how it works before buying. It's not hard to use, but it is different.

post #18 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would try out a tablet at a store before buying one. Or find a friend who has a cellphone with the Android operating system and mess around with it (both the Archos and Creative devices use Android, which is the same OS the phones use.)

See if you like the operating system and how it works before buying. It's not hard to use, but it is different.

I'll see if I can find one in a store as I don't know anyone who has a fancy phone. I'm not too worried about how it operates as most things have a learning curve anyway and I've had plenty. For example, it took me 3 weeks to get used to Windows 7 switching from XP. Took me a bit to learn the Magnavox DVD recorder switching from a Pioneer, etc. so I'm used to learning curves.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try a cellphone store. You don't have to buy anything there, but they'll have Android phones on display that you can try out. If a salesman approaches, just say you're looking and they'll generally go away.

post #20 of 26 Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try a cellphone store. You don't have to buy anything there, but they'll have Android phones on display that you can try out. If a salesman approaches, just say you're looking and they'll generally go away.

Good idea. I'll have to have a salesman explain it to me at first and then I'll get rid of him which I happen to be expert at.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Jumping in on this thread ... I have an external DAC sitting in the closet which I've been meaning to employ (Perpetual P3-A). But I need a transport for it, and would far prefer a digital player rather than a CD, as I'm in the process of ripping my collection.

Granted, I've been ripping to mp3 (via dbPowerAmp @ VBR -V1 ~220kbps), and I realize that streaming MP3 into an external DAC is probably anathema to most on this board However I'm definitately willing to rerip my prime selections to FLAC.

So I'd like to find a compact digital player/transport which can pipe optical or coax output into the DAC; no local storage required, I'll be streaming music off local NAS file store. I do have an HTPC, but would prefer not deploying another one (why not use the HTPC I have? I don't want to lose the DD/DTS processing, as it's digital output is going right into processor).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
post #22 of 26 Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Another vote for the Squeezebox Touch. I use coax out to Beresford Caimans DAC and it sounds awesome. I have ripped the library to ALAC and also own about forty albums in hi-Rez FLAC. It plays 24/96 files and does so well (FLAC hi Rez only, ALAC limited to 16/44)

IPeng is great. But Logitech also has a free remote app as well. On iPad, it all rocks..
post #23 of 26 Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM

I am curious what you decided to do for storage.

I would like to do something similar. My Denon 4311 allows me to stream from a DLNA source. I ended up buying a 1.5 TB extra storage drive to house some music that runs off USB (no external power adaptor needed). It works but the combination is slow and cumbersome to use. Ideally, I would like a low power solution to store the music and buy a Squeezebox or something similar for playback.

----------------
post #24 of 26 Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm not sure what your budget is, but have you considered a dedicated network player?

Marantz NA7004
Yamaha NP-S2000
post #25 of 26 Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 PM

I'm starting to wonder myself if my setup as good as it could be.. if may thread jack. I have new laptop and have started ripping music onto its hd to windows media players lossless file type. I forget type atm. From there I stream through my router to my ps3's media sever, which then goes to my onkyo avr and plays 2.1. Is there a better way that would give me better audio quality?
post #26 of 26 Old 11-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateFg2 View Post

I'm starting to wonder myself if my setup as good as it could be.. if may thread jack. I have new laptop and have started ripping music onto its hd to windows media players lossless file type. I forget type atm. From there I stream through my router to my ps3's media sever, which then goes to my onkyo avr and plays 2.1. Is there a better way that would give me better audio quality?

Maybe if you hooked up the ps3 to an external DAC via toslink?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page