Maintaining S/PDIF lock during silence. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running a Logitech Squeezebox Touch to a NAD T747 via coaxial (or TOSLink, same problem), and during silence, my receiver loses lock. And so, when the music starts playing again, the opening moments are lost as the processor figures out what it's being sent and then re-locks. I can determine this by watching the status indicator on the receiver.

The problem doesn't seem to affect my DVD player over coaxial S/PDIF, so I assume it's sending some stable clock signal that the Squeezebox isn't.

Is it possible to buy a relatively simple S/PDIF repeater that somehow embeds a clock signal so that digital silence doesn't cause dropouts? I plan to listen to everything at 44.1kHz (maybe 48kHz for internet radio) for the foreseeable future. Budget won't be much, as you can see I'm using budget-ish gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-05-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've ran into this issue on a couple of receivers. It was fixed by changing the digital input from "auto" to "optical". Other wise when it had no signal, it would search all the inputs, causing a delay like you have. Not sure if the NAD has such a setting.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfingers View Post

I am running a Logitech Squeezebox Touch to a NAD T747 via coaxial (or TOSLink, same problem), and during silence, my receiver loses lock.

The problem doesn't seem to affect my DVD player over coaxial S/PDIF, so I assume it's sending some stable clock signal that the Squeezebox isn't.

Yes, that sounds like the Squeezbox is just killing the entire S/PDIF output instead of letting it run with zero PCM data. Their bad. Might be a good idea to inform Logitech so they can fix it someday. Users mention the frequent updates -- may as well get this into the queue.

An infallible way to solve the problem in the meantime is to run the analog to the NAD. Kinda defeats the purpose of a digital connection, though!

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page