Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
hey,
I am looking to get into vinyl and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Rega RP1 player. However, I didnt know if I needed to get much else other than just the turntable itself. I found this link that says that I should get alot of other things to go with it but I wanted to make sure that I can just plug it into my receiver and just expand on it later. Here is the link:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...2135207AAUmEZa

The one who responded seems very knowledgable about the subject but at the same time I thought it was making it overly complicated for a beginner such as myself.

Any input will be nice, thanks

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 309
That first respondent was showing off his knowledge, rather than thinking about what the guy who posted the question really needed.

The Rega comes with a cartridge already installed, so as long as your receiver has a dedicated phono input, you're good to go. (If not, you'll need a separate phono preamp.) Plug it in, set the tracking weight according to the manual's directions, and you're good to go!

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The other thing I would recomend is a record cleaner. The least expensive one from VPI is a good choice.
http://www.vpiindustries.com/static....eaning_Machine
It is pretty simple to use. Also you just need to keep your needle clean. If you search you can find items for that as well.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Somehow, I don't think buying a $500 record cleaner to go with a $400 turntable is gonna fly, Orville.

Start with maybe a $20 record brush.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
OOPS, I did not realize that was the price of the TT. Try this instead.
http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Ant.../dp/B0006VMBHI
or
http://shop.audiointelligent.com/pro...4&categoryId=1
Either one should do the trick.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,
Thanks for the quick responses. That vinyl cleaner is the same one that i was looking at actually.

I am glad to hear that I dont need to go buy 7-800 dollars more of crap just to get the turntable working right. I am really looking forward to getting into it as it is something that has always intrigued me.....and it turns out that my wife actually likes the idea! so hey! i get to spend money

post #7 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Plus if you do want a stylus force gauge (always handy), even VPI, the maker of turntables from four to five figures in price, ships this simple one that Amazon currently has for $23.55:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-St.../dp/B00006I5SD
post #8 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Plus if you do want a stylus force gauge (always handy), even VPI, the maker of turntables from four to five figures in price, ships this simple one that Amazon currently has for $23.55:

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SFG-2-St.../dp/B00006I5SD

Good post. I have that stylus tracking force gauge and consider it an essential tool for my TT and records. It allows you to set the optimum stylus weight for your stylus/TT. Doing so saves your stylus from premature death and it saves you excessive wear and tear on your precious records (and it's easy to use). I wouldn't play them without it.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ah! thanks for the link to the force gauge. I was thinking that i was going to need one of those as well as i have seen them used in some TT reviews.

Maybe you guys could help me out with one other thing since those of you on here that do use TT are more knowledgeable than I am I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions for a good TT other than the Rega rp1 and rp3? I want to keep the price bellow 1k and the only other one that i have found that seems to be worth the money is a SOTA moonbeam II. However, I have also read that many times you will be better off getting a used TT that is an older model of say an VPI classic.

I am not interested in Linn at the moment because from what i have understood the suspended designs are difficult to set up properly.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated because there is so much out there that I honestly am just going by what i have read in a few different places.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
^^^^ Have you checked out the vinylengine forums? It's dedicated to TTs and records and has a wealth of information and informed opinions.

(Sorry, I won't link due to worries about the rules here, but a quick search will get you there easily).
post #11 of 15 Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you are open to used tables, there is a ton of product available on Audiogon. This supposes that you know what the tables are, which one you want to get and what is a fair price.

B.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ya, i dont know too much about what is a good price really. I would simply look what is there and go by what it originally went for.

We will see, the SOTA moonbeam looks like something that may be worth looking at as well as it goes for 750 but doesnt come with a cartridge but the rega rp3 is 895 has the cartridge.

post #13 of 15 Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
post #14 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got back into vinyl. I purchased a Pro-Ject Debut III. Sounds great. However, got some older albums I want to play and need a good record brush. I see that AudioQuest has one at a decent price and then there is this one by DAK that looks very impressive from all the info provided on their website. Is there really one better than the other?
post #15 of 15 Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasabeHD View Post

I finally got back into vinyl. I purchased a Pro-Ject Debut III. Sounds great. However, got some older albums I want to play and need a good record brush. I see that AudioQuest has one at a decent price and then there is this one by DAK that looks very impressive from all the info provided on their website. Is there really one better than the other?

I personally recommend a wet cleaning solution. I use the MFSL brush + their Super Record Wash. I also have a VPI cleaning machine which is a luxury but not a necessity. I used to just wipe the records with a soft cotton cloth. It worked fairly well, but was a bit tedious. Many older records have small particles imbedded in the grooves and a dry brush generally will not dislodge those particles. Cleaning your records can make a big difference in the amount of noise.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page