Looking For A CD Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is this the right forum? Is so CD recorders are harder and harder to find. I have some vinly that I want to transfer to a digital format. My Phillips CD Recorder is a piece of junk and no longer records. If you know where I can find a decent machine let me know and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Is this the right forum? Is so CD recorders are harder and harder to find. I have some vinly that I want to transfer to a digital format. My Phillips CD Recorder is a piece of junk and no longer records. If you know where I can find a decent machine let me know and thanks.

I sent you a PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Why you do not want to use computer? Laptop plus external audio device from Emu or M-Audio is likely cheaper than standalone recorder. Required software (Audacity) is free.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Why you do not want to use computer? Laptop plus external audio device from Emu or M-Audio is likely cheaper than standalone recorder. Required software (Audacity) is free.

I could do that. This is an area of audio that I have not put any time into and so the recommendations are turning the light on in my head. I've been more into the home theater side of consumer electronics.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello,

My approach is the same as yours. Since 2000 or so I have been using twin drawer Harman Kardon recorders (CDR2, 20) but they are now both over ten years old and have gone flukey.

To replace them, I just bought a used (circa 2005) Sony W2000ES recorder from a great Ebay seller. Popped the top when it arrived and have to say the thing is built like a tank and works perfectly with excellent sound quality. Was leary of the 5 disc tray play side reputation in lesser Sony models but so far this unit is everything I hoped an ES Sony would be. Also thought about splurging for a Yamaha CDR HD1500 to act as bonus Music server but didn't want to spend the extra coin.

The more current Sony RCD-W500C (a less expensive version of the earlier ES design) seems to be the best option for buying new if you're looking for the convenience of internal recording, especially at higher speeds. I believe that unit is no longer manufactured but there seem to be some lying around NIB. There are a number of current single drawer units on the market if you only want to record from an external source at normal speed, such as for vinyl. They range in price from very reasonable (Teac) to quite expensive (Tascam), depending on brand. Along with Amazon and Ebay, check J&R, B&H Photo, etc. I believe even Wal-Mart sells Teac models.

My life is an open book...wish I could read it and have it make sense.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. At least now I know what the options are.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page