Sony TC-WA9ES Repair? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-30-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey AVS heads, I have a vintage 2000 Sony "Elevated Standard" dual well cassette deck. It is built like a tank and has a lot of neat features. It has not really had that much use. When you press the Open/Close button on well A, the left side drive spindle rotates clockwise for exactly 8 seconds. It does the same thing when you close the door. Eight seconds exactly, every time. I unplugged the unit from the surge suppressor for a few minutes, just in case I might get lucky. No dice. The deck was a $500 unit, and the Sony Authorized Service Center's base charge for repairs is $119, including return shipping. But you can add at least $20-$25 onto that $119 for the shipping to the Service Center. Has anyone ever experienced this behavior; and opinions on whether to fix or junk the unit would be greatly appreciated. If I could still use the Pitch Control on well B, I would just run it until something else crapped out. I really use that Pitch Control, unfortunately. Thanks In Advance For Any Advice, US OP 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I remember selling that unit back in the day. It was about as high-end as it got for a consumer-level cassette deck.

Sounds like a possible sync or belt issue... I've never experienced an issue like yours before, though, so I don't know for sure. Is there a repair shop local to you that could take a peek at it? I agree that the thought of paying ~$150 to get a tape deck repaired is a hard pill to swallow...

Best of luck to you!

It Was Like That When I Got Here...
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page