NAD 5025 Belt-Drive Turntable? (Turntable noob!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi, all -

Although I have never previously owned a turntable, I have managed to collect some vinyl over the years. I am now looking at purchasing a turntable, but know basically nothing about what I should be looking for.

I am by no means a 2-channel audiophile. I am probably going to start off with it connected to my AVR, as part of my HT system, rather than as part of a dedicated 2-channel setup. I really just need something that plays the vinyl I have, but would like it to be a little better quality.

As the thread title indicates, a NAD 5025 turntable has shown up on my local Kijiji. Comes with a Shure stylus and a Demma Carbon-Fibre cleaning brush. Pictures seem to show it is in very good condition (owner suggests it probably has only been used 20 hours). Asking price is $150 Canadian.

NAD is certainly a name-brand I recognize, but whether this is a good product or not, I have no idea.

If anyone has any thoughts, I welcome the input.

Thanks.

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
That's a nice low cost to test the waters with. Also check if your receiver or AVR has a phono section. If not you'll need a phono preamp. The NAD PP-2 is a solid entry level phono. You'll also need some record cleaning supplies. Check out the Needle Doctor for a brush and some cleaning fluid. Have fun w/the vinyl.