Sony PS-FL1 - Help! - Do I need a Phono preamp? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > Sony PS-FL1 - Help! - Do I need a Phono preamp?

CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

AC2011's Avatar AC2011
02:25 PM Liked: 40
post #1 of 3
10-04-2011 | Posts: 441
Hi - I have run across this interesting turntable manufactured circa 1982. It has a cool slide out drawer which makes it great for mounting in a cabinet or rack, which is a main reason I'm thinking about picking it up.

I will want to connect this to my AVR which I believe has no dedicated Phono input. Will I need a Phono Preamp?

Description refers to this as a "Stereo" turntable, so I'm unsure.

Be gentle, I'm a noob at this vinyl stuff!
Class A's Avatar Class A
05:32 PM Liked: 58
post #2 of 3
10-04-2011 | Posts: 1,383
You'll have to get a phono preamp. Years ago when the turntable was king all receivers had a phono section. Look to Audio Advisor, Music Direct or the Needle Doctor there's plenty of quality low cost phonos available in the $50-$100 range. Also check if your cart is in good shape and try to get a brush and some cleaning solution to keep you vinyl clean. Records need some care to get the most out of them.
MrBobb's Avatar MrBobb
07:58 PM Liked: 39
post #3 of 3
10-04-2011 | Posts: 3,434
If it's like the FL7, it's a belt drive and the rubber will probly need replacement. There is another model in the serie that has direct-select track buttons, apparently the sensor reads the shinny groves between the tracks and with a push of a button, it can be told to jump to track x.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Subscribe to this Thread