Can you connect a stereo amplifier to an AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi - just purchased a used Sony PS-FL1 turntable (cool slide-out drawer so it can be placed within a component rack). I want to connect this to my HT system through my AVR, but the AVR does not have a phono input.

I know the "basic" way to attach this is to get a phono preamp and run it through. But are there other ways?

The guy I bought the TT from tried to convince me to also purchase stereo amp and tuner components from him - indicating the phono section would be much better than running it through the digital AVR. I don't really want a standalone 2ch setup, as I only have the one system of speakers and no room for more.

Is it possible to connect a stereo amplifier to an AVR? If it is possible, would the sound (connecting TT to stereo amp, stereo amp to AVR) be any better than just getting a phono preamp?

Or option 3 - get an AVR with a phono section?

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; PSA XS15se
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

Is it possible to connect a stereo amplifier to an AVR? If it is possible, would the sound (connecting TT to stereo amp, stereo amp to AVR) be any better than just getting a phono preamp?

Lots of things are possible. Depends what you want to do. What YOU want to do, however, is very simple: You want to connect your turntable to your AVR, which lacks a phono input.

The easiest fix, as you note, is to just get an outboard phono preamp. An alternative, however, would be to use a stereo receiver or integrated amp which has a phono input. You just connect the pre out or tape out on the stereo unit to an input on the AVR.

If you already had a stereo receiver, that might be the way to go. But I wouldn't buy a stereo receiver/amp for that purpose. Just buy a phono preamp. It's the right tool for the job.

As for which will sound better, it depends, but stereo receivers tend to have no better than mediocre phono stages. So you're just as well going with a phono preamp.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports