Getting Back to Vinyl - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, sorry if this is around, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Today I acquired a new Pro-Ject Debut III, and it sounds great. It is replacing a 1972 Sanyo direct drive that seems to have died after 40 years....shame.

Anyway, I had also inherited a Shure M97EJ cartridge a few years ago with the old Sanyo and thought I'd see if it was a decent cartridge. The Shure is still unused in box, but searching the internet yielded little information. I see that the new Shure M97x is getting rave reviews, so I didn't know if the old M97EJ might be worth holding on to, or possibly using.

Also, is there anything else I should get with the Pro-Ject? I already have record cleaning fluid and brushes, and speakers are certainly no issue.

Thanks for anything in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge1 View Post

Hey guys, sorry if this is around, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Today I acquired a new Pro-Ject Debut III, and it sounds great. It is replacing a 1972 Sanyo direct drive that seems to have died after 40 years....shame.

Anyway, I had also inherited a Shure M97EJ cartridge a few years ago with the old Sanyo and thought I'd see if it was a decent cartridge. The Shure is still unused in box, but searching the internet yielded little information. I see that the new Shure M97x is getting rave reviews, so I didn't know if the old M97EJ might be worth holding on to, or possibly using.

Also, is there anything else I should get with the Pro-Ject? I already have record cleaning fluid and brushes, and speakers are certainly no issue.

Thanks for anything in advance.

I do now about M97EJ but M97x, or even better AT440MLA, will likely be an improvement over stock OM5E that comes with this table.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The EJ and the XE are fairly similar carts. There are some small areas where they differ. The tracking force on the EJ is about 1.5 compared to the Xe at 1.25. Also the channel seperation on the EJ is 20db compared to 25db on the Xe. If your cart is an EJ-AH it would match the specs of the 97Xe. If the 97EJ is in good shape save some money and use it and see if you like it.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-22-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

The EJ and the XE are fairly similar carts. There are some small areas where they differ. The tracking force on the EJ is about 1.5 compared to the Xe at 1.25. Also the channel seperation on the EJ is 20db compared to 25db on the Xe. If your cart is an EJ-AH it would match the specs of the 97Xe. If the 97EJ is in good shape save some money and use it and see if you like it.

Thanks for the advice Class A. Always nice to get a good piece of equipment for free and even better to have a website like this for the advice.

I'm loving hearing the old and new vinyl again.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page