Setting up old turntable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Made some room and tried hooking up a very old JVC turntable I used to use. It has l,r rca outs no ground. Connected to phono in on a Denon 3808. When I connect the left I get audio from the left speaker as soon as I conect the right the left turns off and only get the right speaker working. Reversed the conections on the phono in and got same result but opposite so it is not the AVR. It is like it will only output one channel and defaults to right channel?

Any suggestions? I don't have a lot of LPs so don't want to get a new one and this worked 3 years ago.

TIA

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This sounds almost like inputs on the back of some TVs that were meant to accept the output of a mono VCR and if just one jack is connected the sound comes out both sides. But I have never heard of anything like that in a phono input.
If you do not have another receiver with a phono stage to try the turntable on, you could plug it into one of the other inputs on your receiver, such as AUX or Video. The volume will be very low but you should be able to hear something and determine of there is some kind of problem going on with the Phono input alone. Do not plug anything else into the Phono input though, it would be very loud and could cause problems.
Let us know what happens, it may just take process of elimination to get to the bottom of this mystery.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought of the same thing but happens on other inputs too. Even pulled out the manual to see if there was a stereo mono switch somewhere I missed on the turntable but no mention of any.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM

The problem must lie within the turntable then. It sounds like some type of "short". I would inspect the connection cable very carefully and also see that the stylus and cartridge are firmly seated.
I never saw a turntable without a ground wire until they started making these with a phono preamp included, but of course the lack of a ground should just cause "hum".
post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Some turntables obtain the ground connection through one of the RCA leads. This is considered less "ideal" than a dedicated ground connection -- but it usually works fine.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 03:04 PM

Hope you do not mind, but I also have a turntable/wire question. My RCA wires from my turntable to the amp are too short. Can I splice wire to lengthen the wires?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Hope you do not mind, but I also have a turntable/wire question. My RCA wires from my turntable to the amp are too short. Can I splice wire to lengthen the wires?

The best solution is to buy an outboard phono preamp, place it near the turntable, then run a longer interconnect to the amp (plugged into a non-phono input).

Second best is to find extender cables, female on one end. These will work fine in many setups, but not all.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #8 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 AM

Yes, I have used extender cables successfully, but not more than three feet. You will also need to extend the ground wire if you have one.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page