Vacuum Tube Audio Components - AVS Forum
CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > Vacuum Tube Audio Components
NetGod's Avatar NetGod 08:41 AM 12-08-2011
I found a high quality CD player, tuner, dedicated i-POD input and tube power amplifier all in one chassis that I would like to buy, but am concerned with the the life span of the tubes and ease of servicing such a unit should it become disabled.

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 09:14 AM 12-08-2011
If you mean it's some kind of all together piece, like when you see TV's that incorporate a DVD player, the best thing would be to contact the vendor and see if you can get a handle on how repairs, especially post-warranty ones are handled.
NetGod's Avatar NetGod 09:40 AM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

If you mean it's some kind of all together piece, like when you see TV's that incorporate a DVD player, the best thing would be to contact the vendor and see if you can get a handle on how repairs, especially post-warranty ones are handled.

I did contact the vendor. He says the tubes only last 3-5 year.
Does that sound like the correct life span of a vacuum tube?

Chu Gai's Avatar Chu Gai 11:50 AM 12-08-2011
Doesn't sound bad. When they die, so long as you don't go artsy fartsy with replacements you should be able to source them pretty easily. Maybe your local Guitar Center.
Harrypt's Avatar Harrypt 12:51 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post

I found a high quality CD player, tuner, dedicated i-POD input and tube power amplifier all in one chassis that I would like to buy, but am concerned with the the life span of the tubes and ease of servicing such a unit should it become disabled.

Nobody with tube knowledge and experience can answer and give any credible advice if you don't tell what the piece is so it is known what type of tube and how it is used in the circuit.
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 01:08 PM 12-08-2011
Raysonic ML-6? http://www.raysonicaudio.com/product_details.php?ID=22

How many tube CD player/tuner/ipod dock/integrated amp products can there be?

Replacing tubes should not be a problem at all in this piece.

larry
NetGod's Avatar NetGod 02:23 PM 12-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Raysonic ML-6? http://www.raysonicaudio.com/product_details.php?ID=22

How many tube CD player/tuner/ipod dock/integrated amp products can there be?

Replacing tubes should not be a problem at all in this piece.

larry

Actually the piece I had in mind was a Shanling, but have very quickly learned Shanling is not a desirable brand. So yes, Raysonic is one brand I'm looking at. Alternatively, I'm also very seriously considering a dedicated tube CD player such as the Raysonic CD-138.

PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper 05:15 AM 12-09-2011
There's a lot of people who use tubes, myself included, and are very happy. Power tubes in an output stage of an amplifier tend to have shorter lives than "driver" type tubes. Tube lifetimes can be in the thousands of hours depending on type and application. There's so many variables that you can't make across the board type statements or comparisons.

larry
ap1's Avatar ap1 03:28 PM 12-12-2011
3 - 4 years is a right lifespan for tube. They last between 1000 and 3000 hours. But I do not think that this is a smart idea to mix tubes and solid state digital electronics in one package. Tubes produce a lot of heat and require high voltage powers sources. Both of them are not good environment for high speed solid state circuits needed for CD player and iPod connector.
commsysman's Avatar commsysman 05:53 PM 12-12-2011
I have used tubes for over 40 years and like the sound they produce, but the high-power tubes currently available are very unreliable and very expensive. When Stereophile and other magazines review tube power amplifiers, they almost never get through the review process without a tube failing; and these tubes are usually the best available.

I have an Audio Research preamp that has tubes, and the sound quality is superb, but I have sworn off of tube power amplifiers for good. They are too expensive to maintain and repair; very unreliable. I get about 1000 hours out of my preamp tubes; you are lucky to get 300 hours out of a $60 KT88 power tube these days; anyone who says different is full of it! I have been there and done that.

I cannot conceive of any possible reason to have a tube in a CD player; that is BS; silly posturing.

Having a CD player in the same chassis as a power amplifier is stupid, because the power amplifier power supply circuitry cannot be isolated well enough from the CD player circuits. That is stupid engineering practice. A CD player should be a separate unit. Besides, servicing would be a big pain with an all-in-one unit.

I would recommend a good solid-state integrated amplifier and a good CD player. Most integrated amplifiers have a front-panel jack for an Ipod connection now.

The Cambridge Audio 650A integrated amplifier and 650C CD player are very good, at about $700 each.

You didn't give any clue what you intend to spend. When you say "high-quality", that leads me to believe you are in for at least $2000 or more; pretty hard to get anything for less that could be called high-quality.

[/quote]
Up
Mobile  Desktop