Beginner Turntable Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a quick question I hope someone can answer. I have a Sony PS-LX250H that I inherited when my dad died. The thing had been in storage for at least two years before I got it and hadn't been in use during that time. Before that it was used very sparingly for a few years, but never heavily.

So, I got it home, cleaned it up, hooked it up to a stereo receiver and tried to use it for the first time and there were several issues.

First every time the needle drops onto the edge of the record it "slides" about an inch or an inch and a half towards the middle before it "catches" and starts playing.

Second, once it does start playing, the volume of sound is very low (I have to turn the receiver volume up quite high to hear it at all) and the sound that it produces has lots of static.

I've tried two different records with the exact same results, same "slide" when the stylus drops and same static-ey sound (I didn't want to try more for fear that the stylus would damage the record if it were bad).

So my question is, is the needle simply old, or perhaps was ruined somehow in storage? I did do a little research and found there is an EQ switch on the turntable which I tried flipping and which just made the sound even lower and still equally static-ey. As you can probably tell I'm quite new at all this and would love any help anyone could give. I'd really like to be able to use this thing to listen to my dad's old vinyl and I don't want to damage the LPs.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 303
It could well be a damaged needle. You'll have to get one specifically for that turntable, but they should be readily available online. If that doesn't fix the problem, it isn't worth fixing.

The EQ switch should be off, if you are connecting to a phono input. It should be on, if you are connecting to any other input.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #3 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Might try checking the anti-skate setting, and the tracking weight too. What cartridge does the tt have? Stylus doesn't sound like it would be unusually worn from your description...and it shouldn't get damaged from storage.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Might try checking the anti-skate setting, and the tracking weight too.

Neither is possible on that table.

post #5 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Neither is possible on that table.

Ah, googled now and see. Go old school and tape a coin on top of the arm? Just kidding...

post #6 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! After Christmas I'm going to order a new needle. I hope that works! Otherwise I guess it's off to ebay for a new turntable. One more question, how do I tell what type of "cartridge" it has? I assume that the cartridge is the plastic housing that pops on and off the arm and contains the needle. I saw that mostly those things are identified by a number, but there's no number on the one currently on the turntable. I assume it's the original that came with it when it was bought. Is that right or am I missing something?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That particular table comes with a proprietary cartridge (the little box on the end of the tonearm that holds the needle (aka stylus). Just Google the model number and "replacement needle" and you'll find what you want. The model number will also lead you to a downloadable manual for the table.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some static is normal, some may even say that's the "charm" of LP.

As for low volume: DOES THE RECEIVER HAVE A PHONO INPUT? just though I ask the dumb Q.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #9 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

As for low volume: DOES THE RECEIVER HAVE A PHONO INPUT? just though I ask the dumb Q.

post #10 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

You know, I'm not sure. It has Stereo AV input that says something like Mono/Tape. I wasn't sure if it was Phono or not, and wasn't sure how to check. It's the dual red/white connection, just like an old DVD player has.

As for the static, I know that it won't be as clear as a CD or MP3, but the issue was the weirdly low volume. I had to turn the volume up to to the 70/80 range just to hear it, which would be blasting for that receiver for any other type of input. I wasn't sure what would cause something like that.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelbum View Post

You know, I'm not sure.

Weeeeeeellllll, *that* would be a problem.

Turntables HAVE to be hooked up to an input that's labelled as PHONE or PHONO, you should not hook it up to anywhere else.

Since turntables are really exotic items these days, modern receivers do not include this PHONO connection, so if your receiver doesn't have one, u will have to buy a PHONO preamplifier, $35+ depending how picky you are.

Now some newer turntables, made last 10 years? *may* not need this phone connection but up to u to do the research, am free so can't do much legwork.

Then u may have to refurb the the turntable, buy a new neddle? by the time ur done I don't know if you really want to listen to those old LPs.

post #12 of 13 Old 12-17-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelbum View Post

You know, I'm not sure. It has Stereo AV input that says something like Mono/Tape. I wasn't sure if it was Phono or not, and wasn't sure how to check. It's the dual red/white connection, just like an old DVD player has.

As for the static, I know that it won't be as clear as a CD or MP3, but the issue was the weirdly low volume. I had to turn the volume up to to the 70/80 range just to hear it, which would be blasting for that receiver for any other type of input. I wasn't sure what would cause something like that.

Like McNarus said in the first reply: The EQ switch should be off, if you are connecting to a phono input. It should be on, if you are connecting to any other input. Your turntable can be hooked up to either kind of input, as your turntable has a built in phono EQ.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't sure if it was Phono or not, and wasn't sure how to check.

Very simple: If it isn't labeled "phono," it isn't.

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page